Today on CNN Newsroom

May 3rd, 2009

Director's Cut

From CNN Director Roger Strauss:
"Club Don" Is Open for Business

Frequent CNN viewers with a discerning eye know that we set things up a little different for Don's show as compared to the other "Newsroom" shows from Atlanta. One of the advantages that we have is that we actually have time to set things up for the 10 p.m. ET show on Saturday and Sunday nights. Among the "special" places that we like to build is an area called "Club Don." It takes a lot of work to set up "Club Don," and as an exclusive bonus for our blog, I put an HD camera up in the lights and sped things up 37 times normal for a revealing behind-the-scenes time-lapse look into how we get the set ready for our broadcast. The whole process took about 45 minutes, but I got it down to one minute for your viewing pleasure. As the show's director, and in the spirit of Alfred Hitchcock, I make a cameo appearance in the video. That's me in the blue-and-salmon striped shirt. Also appearing is our technical director Mike, floor director Cat, handheld camera guy Andy, lighting director Jason, graphics whiz Vincent and video journalist William. Even Don’s blog producer Glenn gets into the act at the end. It takes a lot of people to get Don's show on the air, and we are the ones who work hard to make sure Don looks good. As soon as we get a fog machine, some strobe lights, and a disco ball, "Club Don" would be a cool place to visit after work!

Filed under: Don Lemon
  1. TLANDS

Very interesting!

May 3, 2009 at 8:28 pm |
  2. ladycowboysfan

Very cute name "Club Don". Thanks for sharing with us. When you get the strobe lights, disco ball, and fog machine, can we come party at Club Don? BTW, your hard work pays off because Don always looks fabulous when broadcasting, keep up the good work.

May 3, 2009 at 8:51 pm |
  3. roseathens

the clip is not running..mute jerky movements 4 several seconds

May 3, 2009 at 8:57 pm |
  4. MELODY

Hope I am not a pest,lol. I thank you for mentioning twitter often. I needed something constructive to do. I forgot last week you are not on during the week. I am old ya know,lol. I am also not too computer litterate. Love to watch you news show and keep up great work.

May 3, 2009 at 9:09 pm |
  5. Carol B. in MD

Hi Don, The show always has an interesting mix of news & views. Good luck with the tweaked "Club Don," with all the bells & whistles.As Bernadette P., would sing, "You Gotta Get A Gimmick!" or whatever retains viewers, I guess. Take care.

May 3, 2009 at 9:43 pm |
  6. Steve

should be called the Lemon Room.

May 3, 2009 at 9:56 pm |
  7. Brad Smith

You should interview Nick Scott about being Paralyzed.

Watch My Story from 300lbs to world champion in a wheel chair.

Live by Valley Ranch just saw the story about the Scott being Paralyzed.

Brad

May 3, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  8. Moussa

I cant see the video online but im gonna use the info i got from the show and my 58 hd tv to set up nice backgrounds for my photo and video shooting.
    thx

May 4, 2009 at 1:59 am |
  9. Katie

Love the show, the new "Club Don ", and the set. Will visit the next time I am there.

May 4, 2009 at 3:24 pm |
  10. adrian

more behind the scenes please! what goes on behind camera during the show??? i would love to see that

May 5, 2009 at 12:33 am |
  11. Donna Stewart, Kingston Jamaica

My friend Lorna and I are now huge CNN news junkies since the start of the presidential campaign, but we both lament about how boring the shows are on the weekend. Don is a young handsome guy and yet his show is a little lacklustre. During the campaign he interviewed an old lady who was voting for Sen Obama, and he showed so much compassion its an unforgettable couple of minutes and even Pres Obama made reference to her when he won.. I think he's better outside the studio interacting with people, and I would love to see some more sports interviews, with one kids,teenager generally some diversity and some FUN. Otherwise its CNN Mon-Frid in prime time only. He's just way to young and vibrant to have such a staid show.

May 5, 2009 at 12:13 pm |
  12. RC

Hello,
    Would you please let me know the facts regarding the Prez and covering church symbols/ statues etc? What happened?

May 5, 2009 at 1:17 pm |
  13. roseathens

now i get it

May 6, 2009 at 12:38 am |
  14. Daphne E

Hi Don,

I'd love to share my story. I am a single mom in Atlanta with two kids, since June of 2008, the home I was renting has been in foreclosure. Long story short, Freddie Mac has been working with me since February of 2009 to help me to purchase the home but it has been a journey, full of twists and turns. I have survived 2 evictions. It's that great.

I'd really like to share my story and hope to hear from you soon.

May 6, 2009 at 6:21 am |
  15. Stephanie

I didn't know you had your own club! No wonder you were asking me about singing the other day. Nice to meet you by the way – you dropped the bomb on me! LOL

May 6, 2009 at 9:15 pm |