Today on CNN Newsroom

May 6th, 2009

Answers to Your Financial Aid Questions

Throughout this month, you'll see special "Class of '09" segments on the Heidi Show. We've been asking since Monday for your financial aid questions. Today at 10:30 we'll have a financial aid expert and a college career-center director on our show, answering some of the great questions you've submitted on grants, loans, scholarships, 529 plans, work-study, and non-work-study jobs. 10:30. Free advice. Be there!

Filed under: Class of '09 • Heidi Collins
  1. Jeff Tillitt

So when are we going to bail out the college graduates with Financial aid looming and no jobs?

May 6, 2009 at 10:23 am |
  2. Wayne

Heidi:

The M. Obama look? Nice Arms..

May 6, 2009 at 10:23 am |
  3. Elizabeth

I really appreciate all the focus on financing for higher education; I used to work in my school's undergraduate financial aid office, and, speaking from experience, a lot of people are under-informed about paying for school. I was hoping that you could talk more about funding for graduate studies. As a recent college graduate and finding myself unemployed, I am having a difficult time finding grants and scholarships aside from what is being offered by my school. I've been browsing sites like Fastweb, but a lot of the times the scholarships are national and difficult to obtain.

May 6, 2009 at 10:28 am |
  4. Marc Fort Lauderdale

To all current and former students, write your US Representatives and Senators to introduce a bill for "Student Loan Modification" where our interest rates can be reduced to 1 to 2 percent or to forgive these loans in exchange for individuals putting the money they save back into the economy...buying houses, cars, etc.

May 6, 2009 at 10:37 am |
  5. Chris Caldwell

I think every ones education should be free, The USA is the one of riches country's in the world but yet we can't have universal education for everyone who wants to go to college and what about the people out there that have good Ideas and the people that are smart, i think the money factor in this country is hurting us more than anything else because wanting money for everything hurts the US more than anything else.

May 6, 2009 at 10:39 am |
  6. Marc Fort Lauderdale

These people on CNN have no clue what reality is like for students and former students with loans....

The principle grows exponentially if the monthly payment is not made...interest capitalizes leaving the individual chipping away at an iceberg....it is never ending.

We need real solutions to the student loan crisis....one suggestion is greater oversight of student loan lenders who prey on vulnerable individuals.

The time is now for us to take action.....

May 6, 2009 at 10:39 am |
  7. nate

I have a consolidation student loan with my ex-wife. I have 5 days to pay or will have a 24% penalty. I qualify for economic hardship but she doesnt. Should I be penalized? I am layed off and have a 5 month old to support. My ex is working but will not pay. very concerned!

May 6, 2009 at 10:45 am |
  8. nate

I think there should be some type of freeze on interest when a person is down on there luck with job loss. And or a grace period for payment

May 6, 2009 at 10:53 am |