Today on CNN Newsroom

May 6th, 2009

Best Cities for Recent College Grads?

Josh Levs jumps on board the "Class of '09" bus today with a segment on the top 10 best cities for recent college grads. Apartments.com and CGcampus.com put together the list. They took into account things like entry-level job openings, rent costs, and population of young adults. **SPOILER ALERT** The number 1 city: Indianapolis. Who would have thought...?!
So where did you live that first year out of college? Does it belong on the top 10 best cities list? Or the top 10 worst cities list? The good, the bad, the ugly – we want to hear it all.
Post your comments below and make sure you watch Josh at 9:30!

Filed under: Class of '09 • Heidi Collins
  1. Dave Hill

Curious top secrect standards?

How can the Obama administration say they are not going to release the Air Force One – Statue of Liberty photos when just a month earlier they stated that the rule of law compelled them to release the "Torture Memos". Do they really believe the photos are more damaging to national security than the memos? Who is running the circus there?

May 6, 2009 at 8:50 am |
  2. Nicole

I am a recent grad that lives in Indianapolis...I beg to differ with these results!! This is a great city but I cannot find a job to save my life.

May 6, 2009 at 9:39 am |
  3. Susan

I agree that Indianapolis is the best. I am a college student in this state. My friends attending school in Indianapolis love it. There is so much to do, great education, relatively low crime, and a low cost of living. They get to enjoy the best parts of city life!

May 6, 2009 at 9:41 am |
  4. Sean

I thought Pittsburgh was one of the top cities for recent graduates too; I think they were 13th last year. I'm moving there once I graduate in a few weeks. Lots of jobs for medical and engineering grads, I think; plus, there are tons of colleges (ex., University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University). Cheap rent too – I think $600ish is the average.

May 6, 2009 at 9:43 am |
  5. Joshua

I am shocked that Boston is not considered a top ten city. A city that has a bar on every corner and dozens and dozens of colleges and major universities. I understand that the cost of living in Boston is rather high (still cheaper than NY), but in terms of a social scene, it doesn't get much better than Boston.

May 6, 2009 at 9:45 am |
  6. yonatan

come to calgary. it is the best city for new grads. ops! it is in Canada.

May 6, 2009 at 9:45 am |
  7. Jonny

I found it strange that Atlanta was excluded from the top 10 list in favor of more expensive northern cities. Atlanta boasts a vibrant nightlife and social scene, there are plenty of jobs, and it has some of the most affordable rents for a large city. I can't believe NY was on the list. I would not recommend any recent grad trying to move there. I currently live in NYC now and it is very expensive. Yes, the social scene is unrivaled; however, it takes quite a bit of money and time to get a foothold. If I were a recent grad, I would save up and move to NYC or Chicago after becoming more financially established to avoid living on bread, water, ramen and living with 5 or six roommates (at the least).

May 6, 2009 at 9:48 am |
  8. kathy

Absolute insanity exhibited on this list. New York as a place to live for new graduates? Sure, if you want to have 8 of your friends live with you in a studio apartment just so you can pay the rent! Chicago? Yeah, right, if you want to live in the boonies and spend an hour commute. And don't forget, the transplants will get their $$ sucked out of them for housing, food, etc. The local kids mooch off their parents well past their 30's. It's the Chicago way!

May 6, 2009 at 9:48 am |
  9. Brandi Boatner

I just saw the segment on CNN and I'm trying to find the actual article. Does anyone know where the article is located online?

May 6, 2009 at 10:03 am |
  10. Rachel

New York should be removed from this list... the cost of living is insane.. finding an affordable apartment is not heard of.. and finding a job... lets not go there. How was this list put together? Might as well take Chicago off there too

May 6, 2009 at 10:26 am |
  11. Judy

It's unlikely that there will ever be a woman who would trust a man to take the comtracptive. They are wasting their time on this one.

May 6, 2009 at 10:28 am |
  12. Oliver

This question is really important to me because am a recent graduate and I would like to move different city. Am currently living in Arkansas buy I think it's time I try somewhere different as Arkansas is too laid back for a recent graduate/a young struggling man.

May 6, 2009 at 10:28 am |
  13. Nicky

Sign up Chicago as a Top Ten. While there are layoffs in old industry and some real estate, things coming back. Five friends of mine have changed jobs with increaseed salaries and opportunities.

Nicky

May 6, 2009 at 10:29 am |
  14. Mathew

I know this is in Canada, but Montreal is a fantastic city to live in for college students and recent graduates. There are more than a handful of universities in the Greater Montreal Area (four of which are in the Downtown Area). The social scene is as good as it can possibly get. Rent is cheap in comparison to most other North American cities. Average rent near McGill University is around 600 Canadian Dollars. Graduates from most universities here (especially those from the biomedical sciences) usually don't have too much trouble finding jobs!

May 6, 2009 at 10:29 am |