Today on CNN Newsroom

May 8th, 2009

CNN & Essence: What Matters

Join us every Friday as we launch a new series in partnership with Essence Magazine, called “What Matters.” We hope to focus on African American issues that inspire a broader discussion and “matter” to everyone.

We kick it off this week at the White House, where not one, but two Moms are being honored this Mother’s Day: first lady Michelle Obama and her mom, Marian Robinson. Mother and daughter recently gave their first interview together to Essence Magazine’s Editor-In-Chief Angela Burt-Murray.

Angela joined Tony Harris on Friday to share her experience with the White House moms.

1. Keith

Positive, inspirational & motivational Black news is sorely needed. It is time that we eliminate the images reinforced by popular media. It is only hurtful. there are many many great storis to report everyday. Lets be more responsible with the reporting!

May 12, 2009 at 6:04 am |
  2. (Mrs.) L.PATTON

Kudos to CNN for broadcasting live President Obama receiving his honorary degree at Notre Dame.

I am very disappointed, however, that the convocation speakers and general flow of ceremony were interrupted with commentaries/arguments from two Catholic sidebar speakers. Let the Notre Dame speakers – students and staff – speak for themselves. Less focus by CNN on negative aspects of this grand occasion.

P.L.Patton

May 17, 2009 at 3:01 pm |
  3. Jenee Darden

Visit my blog Cocoa Fly

May 18, 2009 at 12:46 am |
  4. Michael

Your segment regarding segregated proms was surprising since I wasn't aware that this existed anymore. Earl Hutchinson's comments focused on how divergent this perspective is in relationship to the current direction of this country. I aggree with his philosophy but I think he needs to advocate for total integration. That is, the black community still adheres to all black institutions such as the NAACP, National Medical Association, Black United Way and many more. It seems that black leaders and inteligentia speak disparegingly of segregated events yet omit this inconvienient problem of all black institutions. I would like to hear Mr. Hutchinson address this issue.

May 30, 2009 at 7:08 pm |
  5. Rick

Well, CNN finally showed its true colors, not to be punny. This segment "What Matters" is an example of reverse discrimination that whites face everyday. For one, Essence magazine is innately racist, for it's a magazine made for blacks. We don't have a magazine for whites. And we don't name it some inflammatory name like "Purity." People would say, "what are you trying to say by naming it Purity?" Well, what are you trying to say by naming it Essence. The typical excuse for allowing all black magazines and TV Channels and other forms of blatant discrimination is because they say everything else is intrinsically white. BS! I was watching the Essence awards for a moment, I saw few whites. I watched the MTV Awards, I saw few whites. All I ever see on most magazine covers is black athletes, actors, and the countless other minority celebrities. They are not underrepresented in mainstream media. Also, calling the CNN segment "What Matters" is reflecting the typical liberal notion that the only things that matter are what happens to so-called minorities. I'll tell you what CNN. You and essence and all you liberals who prescribe to the notion that reverse discrimination is OK, you are opening pandora's box. One day whites are gonna feel their oats again and start testing the limits of the precedents you have set. They will start making white magazines and white TV channels and a million other things for white people who want to read and watch about white virtues and accomplishments. This is just one way you will help to homogenize our culture. Your racism will turn whites back into so-called racists. We'll just follow the minorities' lead, caring about our race and issues that harm or help us. You think your double-standard will be allowed much longer? I assure you, you have just begun to see the conservative backlash. This backlash that has been shown with the tea parties and what not has nothing to do with the specifics of a black man being president. It has to do with all the BS coming from liberals. I voted for Obama and I'm still glad with my choice. You libs want to simplify the growing conservative nationalist movement. The less you understand it the more it will grow. Whites are not racist. We're against specific issues. If Barrack Obama halted illegal immigration, ended affirmative action and stopped those bank bailouts and other overspending, ninety percent of those tea-partyers would not have been out there. Do you see the nuance. It's not the man or his race. It's what he stands for. Affirmative action is reverse racism. Essence is reverse racism. Those bank bailouts which Bush started were terrible wastes of money given to the robbers of the world. I digress. Stop this. You're the one starting this fight. The less the liberal media is biased, the less power you give to this movement. I don't want this fight anymore. I'm tired of being angered by everything I see on the news, mainly because I feel like most media outlets are biased against our culture and country. I just want to stop being attacked by you in all your tricky and subversive ways. You attack my race and my culture, defaming its history and its modern role. You are wrong, and we're tired of being the true whipping boy.

June 12, 2009 at 1:18 pm |
  6. Jared Pfalmer

I am a white person, and a poor person. This is a race issue? No. We should all fear that men in dark uniforms can enter our homes and take us out in handcuffs whether we are criminals or not. Isn't it wrong to arrest an innocent man? It has been long understood by the poor and ethnic of us that the police force is a safe-haven for racists and criminals. If the Sgt. can't follow a direct order from The President, to apologize, he should be fired.

July 25, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  7. Jared Pfalmer

Im back again. I see you taking what the police are saying about Crowley at face value. My instinct is that there is more going on with Crowley and his colleagues. A more thorough investigation of his work and arrest record would help. The institutions of racism practice deceit and would paint a pretty picture to hide itself thoroughly. I still believe Crowley owes an apology to the professor and lesson about respect for our highest office.

July 26, 2009 at 1:37 am |
  8. Natalie

I disagree with comments regarding Obama and Chicago's violence. Obama being the 1st black president, and being from Chicago doesn't means that he should single out Chicago's problems. I'm from Chicago and this comment made no sense what so ever to me. There are violence problems in other parts of America as well. It's not our "black president from Hyde Parks" main concern. A lot of the problems start at home, and with home training, parents need to care more about what kind of morals their children well have and teach them about respecting life! It doesn't make sense to say that Obama is from Chicago he needs to do something about the violence here. He is still only 1 man. The community and the people in Chicago need to do more to help stop the violence in Chicago.

August 23, 2009 at 4:53 am |
  9. joannied

Reverse racism is totally a wrong conception. Black folks have never had control of any corporate entities. If black people are now moving up in society or jobs, it is because of their skills and education now being recognized by the world today. There are many totally educated black folks who are qualified for many positions that they weren't excepted in years before because of our color. We need to get all together and accept that the fact that we can do the jobs we haven't been given in the past – all that crap needs to be re-thought by racists and the racism needs to be stopped. This is 2009!!! This is not 1883!!! Get real and let the President do his work.

September 18, 2009 at 12:51 pm |

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 20,272 other followers