Today on CNN Newsroom

May 8th, 2009

Furniture ad:Strength in Diversity?

When times are tough you have to sell your strengths. A North Carolina furniture store produced an advertisement that caught our attention. It uses racial diversity as a selling point and it's getting more than half a million hits on youtube. Kyra is interviewing the producer of the spot at 1:50p. Watch it and send us your comments.

Filed under: Kyra Phillips
  1. eddie

crazy

May 8, 2009 at 1:25 pm |
  2. Margaret Brown

wonderful tongue in cheek homemade humor.

May 8, 2009 at 1:26 pm |
  3. Marcus

I live in Greensboro, NC, which is 15 minutes away from High Point. They copied that from a local radio station here who was using that pitch for the radio station. 102Jamz started using those lines for their morning radio show sometime last year.

May 8, 2009 at 1:26 pm |
  4. Bob

All I know is it made me laugh and warmed my heart. This is exactly what the nation needs harmony, mutual respect and a hard stop to partisan assaults. Give us more good news!

May 8, 2009 at 1:26 pm |
  5. Jalynnette Locklear

No, I don't like the Red House commercial. It's very unprofessional and since furniture doesn't sell based on race, religion or even marital stats; I think it's a complete bust!

May 8, 2009 at 1:26 pm |
  6. chris curtis

the best ad ever, it brought that fuzzy feeling to my eyes, why can't the whole world be like that

May 8, 2009 at 1:26 pm |
  7. Melynda Foye

Kyra:

I LOVE IT!!! 🙂 I live in Raleigh, North Carolina, and I believe this store is in High Point, NC, the furniture capital of the world.

I appreciate and love creativity, and a little racial harmony and a smile has never hurt anything.

Melynda Foye

May 8, 2009 at 1:26 pm |
  8. Emerson

The Red House ad is absurd. It's getting hits for that very reason. The old adage of "no such thing as bad publicity" is presumably the motivation, but what a train wreck. Do they mean to imply that other furntiure companies in High Point, NC are segregated? Ridiculous.

May 8, 2009 at 1:27 pm |
  9. Tina

The Red House ad looks like a SNL commercial. In fact, they probably will do a parody of it.

May 8, 2009 at 1:27 pm |
  10. Debbi Salls

I think it's silly and fun. If I were anywhere near NC, I think I would go just to support people who are willing to "put it out there," and maybe laugh a little while they are at it.

May 8, 2009 at 1:27 pm |
  11. Kathy Meehan

Fabulous commercial! It would make me buy furniture from them. Even if its plaid and ugly.

May 8, 2009 at 1:27 pm |
  12. LaRyssa

I am an African American woman and I loved the commercial. Nothing offensive about it and it was entertaining. One question...Does NC not have a considerable population of Hispanics, Asians, etc?

May 8, 2009 at 1:27 pm |
  13. John Freeman

Funny strange, not funny "ha-ha". What were they thinking, higher sales and attention. If any press is good press, they got what they wanted. I, however, will not be shopping at the Red House.

May 8, 2009 at 1:27 pm |
  14. Jordan Prusack

That commercial was brilliant. And hilarious. Very 2009, which is good.

Jordan, Philadelphia

May 8, 2009 at 1:27 pm |
  15. Randy

Horrible!
    Train Wreck!
    I thought we were over the whole black and white thing...
    How does furniture suit a black person more than a white person?
    What's next? Hi I'm a PC for white people and I'm a mac for black people?
    This is HORRIBLE!!!

May 8, 2009 at 1:28 pm |
  16. Chuck Johnson

In this age where racial tensions still exist it is refreshing to hear something in this area which is humerous. I think it was refreshing.

May 8, 2009 at 1:28 pm |
  17. RAY

WELL, It was innovative, that's for sure.

May 8, 2009 at 1:28 pm |
  18. Ron

Seems OK to me – Folks talking just like folks normally talk. It might not be totally "PC" but I'm about "PCed" out.

May 8, 2009 at 1:29 pm |
  19. Angela

I think it's very funny and makes me want to go to the store and hug a white person. LOL!!!

May 8, 2009 at 1:30 pm |
  20. Marianne

In times like these, we all need a laugh. This commercial portrayed racial harmony in such an uplifting and fun way. I thought it was great. Thinking I might buy that couch too . . . .

May 8, 2009 at 1:30 pm |
  21. Howard J. Hintz

I think this is great! People need to lighten up. I think that its a positive move, especially in N.C. I have been in an interacial Gay Marriage for more than 17 years and really like to see people trying to get along and understand that we all have differences and that there are good and bad in all groups we are all the same, we are just people.

May 8, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  22. Paul Takamatsu

As hokey as the furniture ad is, it is a simple and honest call for racial acceptance. I laughed,

May 8, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  23. Tim

Great video. We can no longer afford to be afraid to talk about race

May 8, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  24. Clavin

Hello My name is Clavin and I would have to say that this ad for the Red House has got to be the funniest thing I've seen is year. Hey if it bring people in to the store then I guess the ad is working .

May 8, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  25. Othello

I think the ad is great! So often, we as americans can't bear to talk about race even when it's the 800lb gorilla in the room. THis ad is fun and irreverent w/o being offensive or pandering while simultaneously poking fun @ our own national obsession and insecurities. Love it! A furniture store for the Black , White and Expanding! Kudos to them!

May 8, 2009 at 1:32 pm |
  26. Jameel Garcia

Hispanics too! ..... LOL .... That was funny. For little I thought it was exlusive for black and white couch potatoes, but I'm glad that all couch loungers are welcome. 🙂

May 8, 2009 at 1:33 pm |
  27. Debbie

I think the ad is great, I would buy at "The Red House". I wish we could all live together with this same attitude. Debbie from Texas

May 8, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  28. Gwen

I love the spot! Way to go, Red House! I certainly hope CNN takes this opportunity to address the race issue in America. Sometimes humor can open doors...It's crazy that we can't speak openly about race and embrace racial differences. I have a multi-racial son and I hope by the time he's an adult people are over discomfort associated with racial difference.

May 8, 2009 at 1:39 pm |
  29. Susan Meek

I think the ad is so funny! I got a good laugh from it. No one should be offended, if they do it's because they don't have a life and just look for things to find fault with.

May 8, 2009 at 1:40 pm |
  30. Ernest G. Vasilion

I enjoyed the new furniture advertisement. It is definitely out of the box and that is a good thing.

May 8, 2009 at 1:40 pm |
  31. marcia schmehl

Why not. It seems there are still folks out there trying to always use the "race card" in a bad way. Good luck to them.

May 8, 2009 at 1:41 pm |
  32. Alex w

That's crazy! It's sad that there are still places in this country that need to be told that people of different races can get along.

May 8, 2009 at 1:42 pm |
  33. Milton Smith

I really think Kyra is the best looking girl I have ever seen.

May 8, 2009 at 3:13 pm |
  34. Fred

For me it was funny, even refreshing! I could understand, though, how someone else of a different sensibility and life experience might find it offensive, or at least without taste, because it could come across as a trivialization of a very important aspect of the American experience. I enjoyed reading the variety of responses from different viewers! Grains of truth is those comments.

May 9, 2009 at 9:22 pm |
  35. Cindy

I love this commerical it is witty, unique and funny!!! "@ THE RED HOUSE...WHERE WHITE PPL AND BLACK PPL buy Furniture...All PPL!!

May 12, 2009 at 9:33 am |