Today on CNN Newsroom

May 8th, 2009

Manny Being Stupid?

From Writer Doug Furnad:
Dodgers slugger Manny Ramirez has been suspended 50 games, for breaking Major League Baseball's rules on banned substances.
It'll also cost him nearly $8 million in salary.
No one is saying definitively what Manny took, though there are plenty of stories about what people think it was.
But that's for another blog.
So the question is, does it really matter?
At this point, it's just another baseball star striking out as a role model.
Really, how many black eyes can the sports get before nobody cares anymore?
We want to know what you think.

Filed under: Heidi Collins
  1. Josh Neirman

I'm 23 and don't remember the great players who used to hold all of the records. It's just sad to me that I grew up in the late 90's following a sport where everyone was doped up. I'm an Orioles fan and the only player I can think of that was really good during that time and never took any steroids is Cal Ripken, Jr. Baseball really needs a Cal Ripken, Jr. like player to bring baseball back just like after the 1994 strike.

May 8, 2009 at 9:21 am |
  2. Rick, Mississippi

It's hard to feel any sympathy for Manny since he'll earn more during the remainder of this year's season than I'll earn during the rest of my life.

May 8, 2009 at 9:25 am |
  3. dennis casey

I am a very big baseball fan for many years but i am sick of all this news about players breaking the rules by using all these substances. It is about time to throw out anyone who is using these substances. 50 games is not enough it is only a vaction to them. Our children should not look up to these law breakers. Make an example out of the next one to break the rules. If you can ban Pete Rose for life then ban the players breaking the rules for life too

Dennis Casey

May 8, 2009 at 9:32 am |
  4. Michael

WHO CARES!!! It is entertainment! Pro wresteling is also entertainment, and is a big business. No one cares about if they are using steroids. It is a shame that you as a business who keep the people informed on what is going on with events that effect us personally spend so much time on people who get paid millions to play a game. I dont care about them, I care about the economy, the two wars we are fighting, the fact that we are allowing people from other countries come here and dictate our lives, the fact that people with alternative lifestyles feel they are so special that legislation needs to be created to force those of us who believe in the traditional lifesstyle to accept their lifestyle as normal. ESPN is dedicated to sports and if I want to know what is happening with sports I'll turn to them. I watch CNN cause when I was fighting the Gulf War my family stayed tuned to you to see what was going on and hoping to catch a glimpse of me. They watched to stay abreast of the things that matter. two of our last three Presidents admitted to using some form of illegal drugs and one of them stated he couldnt remember although EVERYONE knows he did, and they were still elected to office, so do you really think people care if an athelete using some drugs. If they do their wires are definately crossed. Please just mlet me know what my IRA, 401K and stocks are doing. If I turn on ESPN, they are not going to report on the state of the economy. Didn't Rome give the gladiator games to the populus to quell their political turmoil? we are not blind sheep. We want to know all that is going on with our everyday lives. I could care less about a man loosing 7 million of his 25 million dollar contract when I go out to work everyday and barly bring home 90K a year and the economy has hit my industry so hard that every week those of us who haven't been laid off yet, say we made it through one more paycheck.

May 8, 2009 at 9:49 am |
  5. Adrian Rubio

they should allow Manny back into the games they will never win without him. Im a baseball fan and i think that its not good to keep him out for 50 games

May 8, 2009 at 10:34 am |
  6. David

Why after all those baseball movies did professional baseball go in this direction?

May 11, 2009 at 1:09 pm |