Today on CNN Newsroom

May 10th, 2009

Mother's Day Flower Power

If you miss Mother’s Day, you know you’re in trouble. Thank goodness I’ve never missed sending my mother a gift. She would have my hide.

But as I picked up the phone to order flowers for my mother this year I wondered: Can people really afford to send flowers and other gifts when the economy is so bad? My producer and I made some calls and we ended up going out for a Mother’s Day delivery run with the FedEx man. Interesting what we found out. Take a look...and Happy Mother's Day!

Filed under: Don Lemon
  1. Lahelvah

Good mothers make great sons.

May 10, 2009 at 11:19 am |
  2. Audria

Great Mother's day story Don. Keep up the good work.
    Although my Mom is not here anymore, each day I am thankful for the wisdom, joy and happy momemts that she left with me.
    Thanks for the Ode to Mother's day,
    Audria

May 10, 2009 at 12:43 pm |
  3. Kenneth Walton

Don, I sent prayers to heaven to thank the Lord for my mother,and to thank him that my mother has recovered from off the charts high blood pressure.

Ken
    Las Vegas

May 10, 2009 at 3:21 pm |
  4. James in Jackson, TN

Hey Don, CNN has a lot of information but, I'm betting you don't have the address to heaven. So I guess I'll just put flower on my mom's grave. i know she would enjoy.

May 10, 2009 at 3:25 pm |
  5. Latasha

I took my mom shopping and out to eat at this resturant called Prime Steak House in Charlotte,NC and end u meeting actor Hill Harper, I could not believe it. he was so nice it was really great.

May 10, 2009 at 3:36 pm |
  6. patricia

I did not give my mum anything for mothers day, she is in Africa. I called her though and wished her happy mothersday.

May 10, 2009 at 3:39 pm |
  7. Nicholas Todd

two dozen long stem red roses....

May 10, 2009 at 3:39 pm |
  8. Michael Harvey

Don, nice heart warming piece. I gave my mom breakfast prepared by my son whom I produced on Mother's Day 24 years ago, roses I grew in the yard and the best of all, a good conversation. See:http://theharveyjournal.blogspot.com

May 10, 2009 at 3:40 pm |
  9. Alex (Aliso Viejo)

My mum is back in the Philippines. I sent her purple orchids ( per request). Sent her various flowers last year and told me, "They are beautiful but I still like my orchids.". So there you go. I'm happy to comply if it makes her happy. I love orchids too anyway...and purple. 🙂

May 10, 2009 at 3:42 pm |
  10. muriella

I was excited to get a call on Skype from my Son in Japan and an eBouquet...I believe now it is really not the gift, but the thought that counts. And every thought is embedded in cost, so sons and daughters are becoming more and more creative about keeping in touch
    Follow and Tweet me @muriellascorner as I am following you

May 10, 2009 at 3:59 pm |
  11. Addie Gaines

We gave my MIL a weather radio for MD earlier this week. She was very thankful for it Friday a.m. SE KS was hit w/ severe weather and they were warned and safe. They lost power all day so it kept them informed and was their entertainment for the day.

May 10, 2009 at 4:43 pm |
  12. Lisa

I'm finally graduating from college next week ( at 29 years old! ) so naturally I couldn't afford to get my mom anything this year. I called her though. I hope to give her a fully employed daughter with health benefits in the next couple weeks though. *fingers crossed*

May 10, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  13. Jeanne Rhea

I had the best Mother's Day! My son made a web page for me. http://www.jeannerhearocks.com
    You just have to read it to know how special it is.

May 10, 2009 at 7:04 pm |
  14. Penny

I got my mom a set of light floral fragrances- unfortunately it won't get to her till Monday 😦 but she had a thorough house cleaning from her son, & flowers from her other daughter. All in all she did pretty well with gifts & love as usual!

May 10, 2009 at 7:06 pm |
  15. Blacklakelu

Both my wonderful sons, in their mid-late 20's, sent me love and greetings today!

Not sure I should have done this, but I told one of them that one of my happiest days was the day he was born! And for my second beloved child, I said I'd only be half the person I am today without him. I am truly blessed. Truly.
    I sent my step mother and my "mother-in-law" - who are my 2nd and third mothers - appreciation, gratitude, admiration, and deep love. Said a prayer to my grandmother.

I am blessed. No question about it...

May 10, 2009 at 7:13 pm |
  16. Jeffery Wacaster

I, a starving college student, took pictures of flowers around the Ouachita campus and made them into an video slideshow for my mom. She loved it! Here's the link: http://www.vimeo.com/4382534 If you like it, send it to your mom as a free gift.

May 10, 2009 at 7:25 pm |
  17. velma harley

I sent my mother money. And i think God for making it possible for
    me to have a MOTHER DAY 365 days a year with my mother. I love
    my MOTHER.
    Velma harley
    Atlanta,GA.

May 11, 2009 at 1:25 am |
  18. Maria

Don, this was so sweet. I enjoy you showing real life stuff like this and you're such a natural with people Sometimes reporters seem anything but comfortable when they're trying to "be natural," but not you. So great job! Oh, and next time show a picture of your own mother – I missed seeing her the last time.

May 11, 2009 at 3:32 am |
  19. Deborah Walter

Don,
    I wasn't near a computer last Sunday. Your Jimmy Buffett story made me crazy. I have been a parrot-head long before we were called that name. Landsharks comes from a Buffett song "Fins"...it's probably 25 yrs old. And it was Chevy Chase who played the landshark on Sat Night Live. If you're going to comment on a story, have some of the facts behind it...

May 16, 2009 at 5:56 pm |
  20. NN

Thank you Don for great coverage on Iran. My 14 y/o daughter left to Iran over a weeke ago by herself for a summer holiday at her aunt's. I am leaving to go to Iran in 2 weeks after 10 yrs of not seeing my family. I left Iran in 1991 and hope to be able to see my loved ones this year. I will keep you posted on any news or photos. So far my daughter is in Shiraz and was reporting of gun shots and shoutings this morning. I hope there will be peace and safety for all.

NN

June 22, 2009 at 3:00 pm |
  21. Nefertiti Ferguson

OMG has a lot of White America lost there mind, I am in my 50s and have never seen RACISM like this the Repubicans, are trying to cause a CIVIL WAR . Whites are so upset Obama is President , they don't know what to do .Rush Limbarh and other radical Whites are causing bad problems in this country. I am an American four generations of Americans,in this Country I love this Country even though part of my family were Slaves, it just seems that the KKK don't even need there white robes anymore. there is so much hate they won't even give the President a chance , he has been in office for eight months. give the man a chance stop the racism, His mother was white

September 12, 2009 at 7:56 pm |
  22. Sally

Just caught the last half of your interview (@ 7:40pm cst). Those black people you mentioned refering to Bush as "not their president" were not necessarily being racist. I said that very thing for eight years straight. I am a "white" middle-aged woman who had the great good fortune to grow up in downtown Austin, Texas (yes, a veritable HOTBED of liberalism, right?). For the first time since I was a kid I feel like I truely have a president. It's personal this time. My dad told me once "never be ashamed of someone else's actions", but I'm finding it very very hard not to be ashamed to be associated with white Texans, or for anyone to think I have anything to do with white southerners. And, hey, Mr. Perry is NOT my govenor. I am horrified at the level of ignorance in such a vast number of people in this country. Is it our educational system? Where have these people been the last 30 years? Do they not listen to any kind of news? Wake up! The news is out! We're ALL 99.9% genetically the SAME.
    Please don't judge me just because I'm white!

September 13, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  23. jacklyn drevdahl

i heard on cnn yesterday that the leaders of haiti mis-managed american donations in the past my question is why would the current leader have any control in helping the people get through this horrable thing that has happened. This carnage in my oppinion should never have happened in the first place.

January 16, 2010 at 8:02 pm |