Today on CNN Newsroom

May 11th, 2009

President Obama’s Open Mic Night

Political pundits have suggested the annual White House correspondents dinner is a less-than-dignified event for a president. This year, many wondered whether President Obama would bring in any laughs. Listen to his comments from Saturday’s dinner and send us your thoughts.

Filed under: Tony Harris
  1. Dan Nelson Lafayette,IN

I don't think that this is the right time for comic relief from Washington DC. We have too many problems to deal with in these hard times like the economy,housing,credit and just the poor in the world. No we should not be making jokes of people we should be coming together to solve these problems including the two wars we are fighting to preserve Islam as a religion that cares for other people which history shows that they cannot even care for their own people! No this is no time for laughter but a time for the Islamic people to stand up against the Islamic radicals and we should press the issue!

May 11, 2009 at 10:28 am |
  2. Tania

The conservatives Lou Dobbs,vote himself, before into to work ok, He's against the same sex mariage, against Healh care reform. He,s for the guns compagny,for the war in Iraq, for big oil, Lou and this Friend Republicans are devastated economic in U.S. in the world.Lou Dobbs and this Brothers conservatives are responsible the crise,the deficit and the debt. Pres Obama as just 100 days in the white house.Cheney, want the big money for this compagny to texas my god, another recession again, welcome 1929 the great depression.Gerri willis work for the GOP to cnn.Cheney say the nation is in Endangers,with Obama no. Cheney It's a voler who a Destroyed U.S. in the world. Good job Pres Obama for roxana Saberi.

May 11, 2009 at 10:29 am |
  3. curious1966

Hi Tony

Isnt it refreshing to be laughing WITH a President( Obama), instead of AT a President( Bush).
    President Obama is refreshing and funny!

May 11, 2009 at 11:02 am |
  4. scott stodden

I watched President Obama during the correspondents dinner and thought he was very funny, not only did he crack jokes about republicans but also his democratic friends and consituents as well, I thought he was very funny, especiallly the joke about Hillary, sorry Hillary I still love you

May 11, 2009 at 11:14 am |
  5. Wagatamuki

Good humor is never bad especially in these harsh times. I thought it was quite well fitted jokes for the occassion especially the one about Hillary and for those who suggest it's less than dignified for a president; if he tells the reality of the reccession, then he's spreading doom and groom, if he jokes and laughs then he's taking things too far, well seems its a no win situation. Keep up the good work Mr. Obama and good work.

May 11, 2009 at 11:52 am |
  6. Randall

President Obama proved he can handle yet one more challenge. He made us laugh because he understands people. The President also listens to and truly cares for people. And this is why we're going to see a successful Presidency for a change (sorry you had to hear that, Hannity).

May 11, 2009 at 11:54 am |
  7. Vic

Most excellent! President Obama just comes across very real and to me that is the best testament a mans character.

May 11, 2009 at 12:02 pm |
  8. Obi

Funny but Ol' Barack kinda looked a tad uneasy – maybe he was tired...unrested, like he wasn't too happy making fun of people – they might not appreciate it...
    Got me laughing tho'
    Go Barack!!!

May 11, 2009 at 12:05 pm |
  9. Liza Siler

Lighten up Dan!

May 11, 2009 at 12:06 pm |
  10. Lloyd Patten

I agree with much of the previous comments, what a breath of fresh air!!!!!!!!!!! and we very much need it.

May 11, 2009 at 12:09 pm |
  11. Obi

I bet Lou Dobbs will find something untoward too....
    Lou Dobbs is a hypocrite!!
    The only other figure who aggravated me via my own asset (my TV) that way was Ron Dumbsfeld (?) don even remember the guys name.....

May 11, 2009 at 12:09 pm |
  12. Pam

I thought President Obama was hilarious. It's healthy for us to take a break from all of the stress, pressure and negativity to have a little fun once in a while. And it gave us a wonderful opportunity to see that Mr. Obama has a great sense of humor.

May 11, 2009 at 12:10 pm |
  13. Anna Robbins

I am a 65 year old white woman. I grew up in Kentucky in the 50's in the middle of the Civil Rights Movement so I write from that perspective. I love our President. He is soooo intelligent and he seems to have a good heart and care about people. He seems to understand that what is good for the world is also good for his delightful family. Besides he is just ____ cute! I have a grandson who is of mixed race like our President and he is as adorable and smart. I am so looking forward to seeing him grow up in a world different from the one that I left behind. I also had a dream about the President and me. We were climbing up a long staircase. We weren't together. He was ahead of me, but he looked back and so I was an older lady making my way up and he stopped to help me. What does that dream mean?

May 11, 2009 at 12:10 pm |
  14. Nancy

I thought President Obama was very funny and I enjoyed this very much. I like to see someone who can laugh at himself as well as the too serious people around him. He was so accurate on his take on the people he mentioned!

May 11, 2009 at 12:19 pm |
  15. Kenny

Tony I thought it was good stuff! One of the comments speaks about its "not the right time for comic relief from Washington DC" however, I think that as American's we can get the serious work done and still enjoy life a little. Thanks Mr. President for showing us more of your funny side.

May 11, 2009 at 12:22 pm |
  16. Luis MC

I think President Obama did a good job on this event and hold up himself very well. Personally, I am proud of both President Obama and First Lady Michelle on how well the present themselves and adjust to the different events, situations, or whatever it comes their way. This a very fine couple and exemplary role model. Thank you!

May 11, 2009 at 12:23 pm |
  17. concerned

Obama and Wanda kept it real ..and Rush deserved everything Wanda said ..plus they both are entertainers ...so lets sit back and enjoy the show ..between Rush and Wanda ...

May 11, 2009 at 12:26 pm |
  18. L. J. Abbott, Swanzey, NH

It's been said that the first rule of safe humour is to take your job seriously, but not yourself. It looks like our C-in-C pulled all the right stops Saturday night (he also has a GREAT feel for timing of a joke line).

May 11, 2009 at 12:27 pm |
  19. Joanie

I think OUR President did an outstanding job ...got lots of laughs...just should have had more material on that jerk former(thank got) Vice President Cheeeeeny...I think the whole routine was fabulous...and the Republicans just have to get a life...especially that Fox group...they are a joke.....Hey REPUBLICANS...get over it..YOU LOST...WE WON...

May 11, 2009 at 12:27 pm |
  20. Emily

It has proven our President has multi-talented skills. Despite his outstanding 100 days of work, he is also a sucessful comedian. I have full confidence that he is able to rest on the 73rd day of his 2nd 100 days.

May 11, 2009 at 12:30 pm |
  21. jay

LOL it is funny to see people saying that this isn't the time for jokes. I'm sorry, I forgot, I must dedicate my self to bailing everyone else out of thier own problems insted of them actually putting a plan together to do it them selfs.
    People are killingt thier entire family's because they take stuff to darn serious. It is the time for jokes because this huge mess was caused by people and buisnesses failing to live or do buisness within thier means.
    It realy sucks that people have thier lives turned upside down because somany buisness man can't understand economics 101 stuff.
    I think it's great to have a President with an ACTUAL sense of humor again, even thought I don't like his plans for the United States.

May 11, 2009 at 12:33 pm |
  22. Mary Ann

It is wonderful to see a human being in the White House!!!!

I thought it was wonderful. Sometimes I wonder how all the negativity
    affects our President and I pray that he sees it for what it is. HATE
    I am very happy to see that he is paying attention to that faction and
    what he thinks of it.

The job he was given is the hardest job in the world. Because of who we are and the importance of America, it's people and it's place in the world it is very important we have a smart, steady and fair hand at the helm. I think we did that and I am so grateful. Thank-You President Obama.

O by the way I loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 11, 2009 at 12:38 pm |
  23. karen

I feel that humor is exactly what we need in these stressful times. It's great we have a president who has a great sense of humor and can laugh at himself, it makes him human and even more like the rest of us. How wonderful it is to finally have someone running our country that really gets it and cares! Good work President Obama, and I for one hope you are succesful. (unlike certain members of the GOP)

May 11, 2009 at 12:38 pm |
  24. vick/texas

That was great and lots of fun, I have the deepest respect for our President. To see and hear this side of him is so nice. Smart, witty, handsome, and fun loving. He is just all that to me and my family. Thank you President Obama, WE LOVE YOU and your FaMILY and Thank you cnn you do great work.

May 11, 2009 at 12:39 pm |
  25. Debra

Althought we may be at an uneasy time at this moment but this to shall pass American citizens need a bit of spirituality and laughter coming from President Obama it shows that hard consistent work can also be done also with laughter America we have cryed for the past 8 years remember the pain and let;s all be patient for That Great American Dream To Arrive The Process Has Begun Now Our part as American Citizens is to Have Patience and Tolerance A Miracle is on The Way President Obama Keep Up The Good Work.

May 11, 2009 at 12:47 pm |
  26. MOJO

I agree with Dan. I am a bit disgusted. It was like watching the bully in high school make fun of the nerd in class all over. I don't care who he makes fun of. He was not voted into office to make us all laugh.

May 11, 2009 at 12:53 pm |
  27. Christie Abraham

I thought the comments made about Rush Limbaugh at the dinner the other night were right on target. Good for her!! He's made so many attacks against other people and been so bigoted it's about time someone aired his dirty linen. I laughed out loud.

May 11, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  28. Flotsam

Outstanding delivery, and outstanding content. And on top of all this, he's doing a great job as POTUS. Our President is the real deal – thank goodness we elected him.

May 11, 2009 at 9:22 pm |
  29. Daniels

Lary King, your distraction to night, is miss california, the joke on Pres Obama. Anderson cooper your distraction, It's Dick Cheney bla bla It's your fasô of work for American people,who need the help just for turned the atention. Northing on Health care reform the Pres Obama who saved the millions people who in the need.you talk same sex marrriage why. the Rights you defended,who agaienst the same sex marriage, the gay pay theirs tax, he's consume.he's paying your debt and the deficit you make is here. Rush L It's a acrazy man.Cheney are taking 100 000 000 every days, in Iraq, for oil, with this compagny AL ...to texas.

May 11, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  30. kim

Airstrike in Afghanistan, it's not true, to people the villagers right colabored to U.S troops, Blitzer you mistake. Christiana your work is very good.Rush Limbaugh is madly, is crazy, wiht this dance horible, hop hop hop hop,it's is sick this man.Romney is mormonism, what Polygamism, no. This is the future leader the GOP. 15 a 20 Wives a the white House. Lou Dobbs independant, my god, you are a conservative who defended guns conpagny ha ha and agaienst the same sex marriage. Am sorry for U.S. Troops In Iraq, American people joint me for that. Our troops are need the help, the support, the end is come, Patience our brothers, and sisters.It's responsible the Cheney for the oil and the big contracts.

May 11, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  31. John

Dan, what makes Obama's time at this dinner so different from Bush's dinner (2006) when he had a comedian dress up like him, and "try" to make light of things while IGNORING the problems that were imminent? It is tradition for the president to provide a bit of comedy at the correspondence dinner, so why be the whistle blower when Obama does it when it has been done for many years by many presidents in the past? Really, it is time to grow up, and steer away from the fear pumping strategies that the conservatives are so fond of. The president showing a sense of humanity makes the public feel more comfortable with him, you should try it sometime.

May 12, 2009 at 3:00 am |
  32. annie a

people get made at wander but not at rush.why does fox bash obama 24/7 is it because he is black? they did not do that to bill clinton

May 12, 2009 at 9:33 am |