Today on CNN Newsroom

May 19th, 2009

Are You Worried?: Swine Flu and you

New worries about swine flu this morning:
We've been asking you - are you concerned that someone in your family will get sick with the H1N1 virus?
And do you think the government has been handling the crisis well?

Here are some new numbers from a CNN/Opinion Research poll:

May 14-17
Worried About Someone in Your Family
Getting the H1N1 Flu?

Worried now 17%
Was worried in the past 20%
Never worried 63%

Sampling error: +/-4.5% pts

Then we wanted to know how people are reacting - men vs. women:

May 14-17
Worried About Someone in Your Family
Getting the H1N1 Flu?

Men Women
Worried now 14% 19%
Was worried in the past 15% 26%
Never worried 71% 55%

Sampling error: +/-6% pts

Plus - we asked what you are thinking, about the goverment response:

Government Response
To H1N1 Flu

Appropriate 54%
Overreacted 39%

Sampling error: +/-4.5% pts

Let us know what you think. Are you still worried? Or are you worried - all over again??

Leave your comments below!

Filed under: Anchors • Heidi Collins
  1. Anne

I'm about 10% worried – going to NYC this June. am more worried about getting quarantined at the airport because of sick airplane passenger in the same flight.

Anne
    Manila, Philippines

May 19, 2009 at 9:11 am |
  2. LazyTimeWaster

I'm no more worried about "the H1N1" (formerly known as "swine") than I am about any other flu at any other time of year.

May 19, 2009 at 9:12 am |
  3. Laurie

I am so glad you have shed light on the way many children with disabilities are treated in our schools. So often those in special education have teachers and administrators who have been given little or no training in how to serve these kids. The children want desperately to fit in and the teachers want desperately for them to fit in, but neither the college students studying to be teachers nor the teachers already in the schools get the training they need to know how to educate an entire population. Lock them away?! What is this, the 15th century?! When something is wrong, fix it. Get moving schools!

May 19, 2009 at 9:18 am |
  4. Lauren M

I am scared, but I feel like if it really begins to get out of hand, I will be even more scared – and not just for my own health, but for everyone else's.

May 19, 2009 at 10:33 am |
  5. Kristen

What worries me is that my ex-sister in law thinks she might have it, however due to no health insurance she is not wanting to go to the doctor to get checked out.

How many other people out there with out health insurance are going to be in the same mind set. We certainly won't get a handle on the spread if that fear of a huge doctor's bill is out there.

May 19, 2009 at 11:00 am |
  6. Jay Llloyd

I have an internship in New York this summer. I leave on June 5th and I am very nervous about the Swine Flu situation up there. But still, I will go and continue to live my life as normal, just will a little more caution.

May 19, 2009 at 11:00 am |
  7. Courtney

In no way am I worried about the "Swine Flu." It's just like a regular flu. We get random flues from China all the time...so what's so special about this one? Yes, it comes from Mexico that is a lot close than China, I understand that, but we still get the ones from China anyway. If the only thing they are tellig us to do is to wash our hands and stay home if we're sick...then they're basically saying "Do what you normally do, but make sure you're clean." Swine flu...this has just gotten out of control and should never have been made as "serious" as they clame it is. So yeah. The "Swine Flu"...not worried at all.

May 19, 2009 at 11:01 am |
  8. Doug Smith

Just another scam for free money for the drug companies that make a not needed vaccine.

May 19, 2009 at 11:02 am |
  9. Ken

I am not that worried about H1N1. But I am worried about it mutating. The thing that most worries me in health care right now is Senate Bill 848 by Senator McCaskil of Missouri.
    If this bill passes it is going to have a detrimental affect on emergent health care across the nation.
    A similar bill was tried by Congressman Altmire of Pennsylvania and was defeated. This current bill would take regulation from the FAA for Helo EMS and hand it over to each state. That is going to open a big can of worms for folks like me that are trying to deliver emergent healthcare to the people.
    I really don't understand where or who this is coming from. This will not help, it will make my job more dangerous and hinder the delivery of critical emergent health care. Could someone look into this and see why somebody wants to cause virtually thousands of people to die from injuries that they could have survived.

May 19, 2009 at 11:22 am |
  10. Larry DeBlieux

Once again can we really trust the media to give us the correct answers or not? Media is reporting the increased number of swine flu cases reported but this can be misleading also. The common flu is always been a problem and numbers I have heard have been 36,000 deaths a year due to the common flu. If we are having an increase in swine flu cases, are we seeing a decrease in the common flu numbers? Is this increase due to now we are testing for swine flu everytime a case comes in where usually we contribute the flu to the common flu? This is usally the case as now it is more closely watched by the media. Down in the Southern US in the last couple of years we had the dreaded West Nile virus spread by mosquitos that had a big scare but mostly was contracted by the sick or elderly which may had passed and would have usually been considered to have died due to old age or bad health but now was test for West Nile Virus and the numbers went up. Are we doing the same thing with the Swine Flu and are just seeing more testing and thus more increased numbers? The media can make it a epidemic and its nothing more than an increased awareness or discovery of the actual reason people have been dying in the past. Just a thought.

May 19, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  11. Clark

So far, 17 people have died from falling vending machines. The survey was started a week ago and that is current data

Six people have died from swine flu so far.

If you ask me, I’d rather spend my money on reinforced, anti-vending machine armor than face masks.

May 19, 2009 at 8:32 pm |
  12. David

I love your blog. To answer your question I worry about it because I have older parents who don't need to catch the flu, or an additional flu that's rolling around. So, though, I do feel CNN teases the reporting so that there is a freak out possibility for the viewer, I also appreciate the heads up, and the lesson in public health that comes with it–in this case learning about how the CDC and WHO approach it for example. Things like the flu hit home. Anyone everyone can get it, and should give some thought to doing something about it–washing hands, staying home from work or school if not feeling well, seeing a doctor.

The first story I heard today was of an infant who maybe died from this virus and then later there was the report on the mother who is known to have died from it after childbirth. So, yes, I am concerned. We are just learning about it but it is something we have to pay attention to.

wrote this yesterday obviously

May 20, 2009 at 4:00 pm |
  13. David

on the other hand maybe this is just a media deception with nothing kind and good or affectionate at all but thank you for this place to post our comment and so begin a conversation or just to post our comments and have them be read and what's interesting taken from them and then forgotten and disregarded

May 20, 2009 at 7:21 pm |
  14. David

You know kind of like the dow jones oboy, oboy a big deal on the morning news let's go 15,000 oboy but then nothing at least good for pulling in the audience not even good for that anymore right

May 21, 2009 at 12:57 am |