Today on CNN Newsroom

May 19th, 2009

How can I get better gas mileage NOW?

Photo: Duncan Stewart

Photo: Duncan Stewart

President Obama announced a new timetable for making the cars Americans drive more fuel efficient. By 2016 passenger cars will be required to get 39 miles per gallon.

What can you do get get more miles per gallon right now? If you need a car now, which would give you the best mileage for your driving style?

We found a great website by the U.S. Department of Energy where you can find out. Check it out. My personal favorite is the section on best and worst mileage cars. Who knew a Lamborghini Murcielago got only 8 miles per gallon?

Filed under: Kyra Phillips
  1. Fred

I didn't think that those Italian sports cars were going to win any medals for gas milieage! That's for sure! I'll pass this one on to my partner. She's the one who knows all about cars & really takes care of them!

May 19, 2009 at 4:14 pm |
  2. anna

Hi Tony

Hi Tony

I am wondering if you can help me in my battle with {my mortgage company}?
    I am going crazy and I don’t know what else to do. Over six month I submitted an application, within {the company} asking for a workable solution or loan modification. Since then I’ve been called their Lost Mitigation Department but nothing is happening. If you think that you can investigate this case I’ll give you details.
    Eny Hanson

May 19, 2009 at 4:45 pm |
  3. Sara

The Bush admin's 35 mpg by 2020 was a very weak goal. We all know we can do better than that.

After 9/11, my immediate expectation was that Americans would finally resolve to end dependence on fossil fuels. I had spent some time in Europe and realized the correlation between the $9 gas and the highly energy efficient vehicles, and I really thought that America would follow suit.

Instead, Americans sought the comfort and safety of extremely low mpg vehicles. Some of these SUV's are so elaborate, it's as if you're driving around in your living room.

Americans purchased humvees for their personal use. They are rather silly vehicles on the interstate, but the country bought them with a patriotic fervor, and hearts filled with pride because these monstrosities reminded us of our soldiers in the desert. As one critic mused, "The road is rife with peril on the drive to Wal Mart."

My Toyota Corolla already meets the 2011 requirement and I think the technology is there for the Trucks and SUV's.

Americans are going to be concerned with safety of a "lighter" fuel efficient vehicle. I hope we can meet their safety needs.

May 20, 2009 at 1:18 am |
  4. Steve

There are two things that will increase everyone's savings on gas.

First, keep your vehicles maintenance current.

Second, change your driving habits. This is the biggest savings of all. Stop leaving your vehicle running while you go into a business. Stop leaving your vehicle running while waiting in drive throughs or for your child to catch the bus. Slowing down and driving the speed limit also equals gas savings. Combine activities instead of making multiple trips. Stop waiting in the parking lot for that front parking spot. The exercise will do you good.

We all have to change our driving habits regardless of the mileage rating on our vehicles. It is a simple easy thing we all can do.

May 20, 2009 at 10:53 am |
  5. lenajames

breakin news 1000 jobs eliminated at belvidere assy plant as of july 27, 2009 giong to one shift.

May 20, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  6. Tracy

Chemo is radiation and CAUSES cancer in the long run!!! Please talk about that!!!

May 20, 2009 at 2:52 pm |