Today on CNN Newsroom

May 21st, 2009

Helping Heroes

They put their lives on the line, leave loved ones behind to travel to far-flung and sometimes desolate places and face danger at every turn. They are America’s heroes, the men and women of the U.S. military, who risk everything to keep their country safe. But are we doing enough for them?

As we approach Memorial Day, we’ll explore the challenges America’s troops face when they finally return home,  from financial hardships to difficult medical conditions such as post traumatic stress disorder. Even if you don’t have a loved one on the battlefield, we’ll have information that could help you or someone you know.

Join us in the CNN Newsroom Saturday at 4pm ET as we look at the help that is available and search for solutions. Give us your thoughts, too. Leave a comment for Fredricka.

Filed under: Fredricka Whitfield
  1. mitzi simpson

I do not trust our president. He is keeping vital info from us to justify his position. I do not feel safe. Keep my family safe whatever the cost to terrorist.

May 21, 2009 at 12:02 pm |
  2. Ron Knight

CNN should stop inflating Dick Cheney's poll numbers, nobody in their right mind likes Cheney he should retire to a potato farm or some kind of farm.
    My observation of Cheney is one of an ego maniac who thinks he's important.
    And if , just if those poll numbers are correct then some of us Americans are dumber than I first thought.

May 21, 2009 at 12:13 pm |
  3. Bill

I was impressed with Cheney's message. Only three people were water-boarded? From all the talk I thought it must have been hundreds. Hey, I really support Obama but now I think he is missing something here or is it his pride that is getting in the way? What will he say if the US is hit again and Americans are killed on our own soil? And, what if we later find that he had a terrorist in custody, and that terrorist actually had the information we needed to stop the attack, but he failed to do everything necessary to obtain that information???? What then? I don't know, I don't like torture but I think there is a time and place to use very strong methods as long as no permanent physical injury is allowed. It's seems pretty straight forward to me.

May 21, 2009 at 12:18 pm |
  4. Brad Quick

How many prisoners where waterboarded out of all of the houndereds of prisoners?I think there where only 3,dut you let every think that every-one has been.

May 21, 2009 at 12:19 pm |
  5. sergio chavez

I am in agreement with President Obama to close Guantanamo.

Cheney is only trying to avoid the possibility of being accused of war crimes by convincing country that all the illegal acts by the bush administration were justified.

Sergio C

May 21, 2009 at 12:20 pm |
  6. Gerry Cates

Real Video of the TORTURE IN IRAQ,
    {link removed}

Is water boarding torture?
    Real torture has to have something to do with inflicting pain just for the hell of it. Just to watch and get pleasure from from the torment of another human being.
    I have three daughters, three sons in laws, and seven grand children. If I could get information about a terrorist act or any act of violence that would save their lives or save them from this kind of treatment in the video,, NOTHING ...I could do to a terrorist to get life saving info could be called torture. It would be called self-defense!
    Gerry Cates
    Albany, Texas
    This is torture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    {link removed}

May 21, 2009 at 12:24 pm |
  7. Gilbert West

The Detainees? For one thing, Americans need to stop being so cowardly. A coward is easily manipulated through his fears. If there is evidence to bind a detainee over for trial, then he should be prosecuted. American prisons such as Marrion, Terre Haute, Lompoc, and Leavenworth USP are more than adequate to house these people. If there is insufficient evidence to bind detainees over for trial, then those detainees should be returned to the place where they were picked up. We don't need a foreign governments permission to do that. Simply drop him off on the street corner where he was picked up. If he then chooses to return to a battle field with a gun, our soldiers will shoot him dead. Case closed. These guys are no more dangerous than the criminals already housed in our penitentiaries, i.e., the murderers, drug dealers, kid-nappers, robbers, etc. I find it hard to believe that in an environment where government agents were paying people for information, that every name given up for pay, was in fact, a real live terrorist.

May 21, 2009 at 12:43 pm |
  8. william maisonet

pleas keep them where they are or have you forgotten what they've done to us, beheadings were particulaly grosome something I will never forget I could tell hundreds of that was done to us, but you need only know that they hate us and you need only one 911 or are we working on a worse senario perhaps a dirty bomb take out a few more thousands. Don't bring them to the US because we will regret-it.

May 21, 2009 at 1:01 pm |
  9. Rob Hamlin

Gitmo BS
    I can understand why we do not want these guys in NY or NJ or Mn or.... Yes, it is emotional so do what you want and avoid the US soil issues.

Leave prisoners in Cuba BUT, make it part of a US court district so the prisoners have all the same rights and procedures available to them. Stop the hide the prisoners BS from Bush and Dickys days !

May 22, 2009 at 7:44 am |
  10. Lana

Leaving politics aside, does anyone honestly believe we can win war on terror with arms? And keeping terrorist in G-tmo ? Do you read history? For how long USSR was trying to win in Afghanistan? Does not history teach us something? “ It looks like Afghanistan it’s going to be for President Obama what Iraq was for Pres.Bush…
    Demonstration against US in Kabul was made by afghan students, not by terrorists with arms…they do not want anyone to “save” them, they used to their way of life for generations…and want us to go home…Let’s be realistic, I do not think they will ever give up on fighting against us, as long as we will be in their Country telling them how to live, the only way to win in this situation, is to help them rebuild what was destroyed and leave them alone, focusing on our security and prosperity at homeland. Terrorists do not recruit with gun to someone’s head, they tell their people how” bad, immoral, and destroying the “Big Devil” (us) is”, so in big picture, we should find the peaceful way to show people we are not. Does anyone remember what happened when taliban got back to power in Afghanistan,(and it looks like they are coming back again ,and getting spread to nuklear Pakistan)? It is different mentality, different world, and it looks like people with Master’s and PhD’s do not want to take this fact in consideration…

May 22, 2009 at 8:09 am |
  11. donald

I have a son 24 years old didnt go in but he still has time. I wouldnt want him to go but if i could i would in a heart beat. I know ill die soon any way. But even if they let me go id have good morralls and be a good sniper or something. I know i couldnt pass boot camp but i know i could do the job eficiantly rather me then my son. I would be a lot more effective. Id love to join but im 47 and im ready to go. I would be a benefit. I am a fighter and i love people. Only do the job i was asked. thx donald

May 22, 2009 at 11:22 am |
  12. Davida

Hello Fred,

I was a member of the Ohio National Guard, and served 5 of my 6 years enlisted on Active Duty deployments, Iraqi Freedom, Homeland Security and Enduring Freedom. I am currently unable to obtain G.I.Bill benefits for College. I've been told being on "IRR" time in the service makes you no longer eligible for GI Bill Benefits....

Can you help me and all the other soldiers in this position? We've served our country and now unable to obtain benefits to attend school?

May 23, 2009 at 3:40 pm |
  13. Paul

The whole car hire process with Enterprise is always easy and very straightforward. Every time I use their particular service, the customer service is exceptional as well as personable. Last Monday, I planned a family vacation and needed a car. Initially, my trip was stressful, but then, thanks to Enterprise workers, it got much better! The vehicle had a high level of quality, and was very clean. Thanks for great memories!

December 26, 2018 at 1:56 pm |
  14. Calvin

Enterprise service was great! I was able to get a SUV for the price, that was the cheapest! Also, I needed to extend my trip, and asked them for an additional day. There were no additional fees. Great service. Wonderful car, price, recommendation! Liked everything!

December 26, 2018 at 1:58 pm |