Today on CNN Newsroom

May 27th, 2009

Who Should Stop Cyberbullying?

Cyberbullying (bullying kids through e-mail and instant messaging, or on chatrooms, Facebook and MySpace) is all over the news. You've probably heard about a group of sixth-grade girls posting a video on YouTube, showing "the top six ways" to kill one of their classmates. Heidi talks to a bullying expert at 10:30 today. And we also want to know what you think. Who is responsible for monitoring online activities and who needs to stop cyberbullies? Is it the parents? Or is it the schools? Our show team had a "spirited" debate about this and we're sure you want to weigh in too.
Post your comments below or take Quick Vote.

Filed under: Heidi Collins
  1. Lora

The parents need to control what the children do online first and foremost. They are responsible for their childs actions and behaviors which do reflect onto them. BUT do understand that in the schools it needs to be taught at a young age what bullying is and the children need to understand what is right and wrong at home and at school. So I feel both the parents and schools working together can stop these actions.

May 27, 2009 at 8:19 am |
  2. dan in Tucson

Being a bully is a trait ultimately learned from the parent. An over dominant and or aggressive parent teaches children that the bad behavior is acceptable. That child may teach other children. We need to look at ourselves as parents and see what example we are setting for our children.

May 27, 2009 at 9:07 am |
  3. Stacey

How are children supposed to learn from adults when the adults are the bullies? I opened a myspace account to moniter my child's behavior, and was harrassed for months by a grown woman! I finally got myspace to close her down, but she just reopened a new page. It is the people like this (not parenting their own children) that the rest of us as a society need to watch out for. I believe adults need to take the time to pay attention to their children, their children's friends and help in any way possible.

May 27, 2009 at 9:29 am |
  4. Michael Legel

Enough already! The last thing we need is a lot national publicity which only serves to encourage. Sensationalizing adolecscent behavior does NOT encourage adolescents to mature.

May 27, 2009 at 9:33 am |
  5. Terese

Dear Heidi,

Good Morning!

I'm a fan – just want to say: nice get-up – so trendy
    that fits to great newscaster of CNN.

Sincerely,

Terese

May 27, 2009 at 10:03 am |
  6. Kerri

Bullying will only stop when parents take the time to raise respectful, considerate children. Sadly, most parents do not bother to teach those characteristics and many of them model approbation of cruel humor, etc.

May 27, 2009 at 10:45 am |
  7. Ted

Michael Legel is absolutely right. Giving cyberbullies publicity will only encourage them to continue.

On another note, other posters have also been correct in that bullies get their behavior from their parents, whether it be directly or from lack of supervision.

May 27, 2009 at 10:46 am |
  8. Stacy

I think it is a joint responsibility, with most of the work resting on the shoulders of the parents. Parents need to talk with their children about cyberbulling (all types of bullying really) and monitor their internet and cell phone usage. However, schools can also help by talking with students and their parents proactively. Let us not forget that internet access is available in the schools and should be monitored there as well. It takes a village.

May 27, 2009 at 10:50 am |
  9. Ann Widmer

The use of the internet is a realm that should be monitored closely by BOTH schools and parents. Too often, schools are saddled with the onus of being "responsible" for a myriad of social ills. It seems as though at times that parents are responsible for nothing anymore! Manners, personal responsibility, and socially appropriate behaviors are areas that in many cases have apparently have fallen to the schools. Parents must work collaboratively WITH the schools to enforce not only the appropriate use of the internet but these other issues as well. This requires diligence on both parties. BOTTOM LINE-Many parents today are uncomfortable using the "N" word-"NO !!"

May 27, 2009 at 10:51 am |
  10. Joshua from Chicago

Niether the parents or the school should stop bullying, they already do too much to opress their child's school experience. What we need to do is to get kids to stop kids from bullying. Kids need to learn to stand up agianst bullying when they see it. Kids need to support kids. If the parents and school want to help gain tools to do that, fine.

May 27, 2009 at 10:51 am |
  11. C_Halla

Parents need to actually be parents and control what their children do on the internet. I isn't hard to lock up a computer and make rules you must be around while they are on the internet.

Schools need to realize they are more responsible for their children than just while kids are on school property. They also need to evaluate their own policies and figure out what changes need to be made to discourage bullying. In all honesty, Bullies realize what kind of trouble they can get in, but do it anyway.

At the end of the day, both parents and schools should work together on this issue. You grow up and you remember bullies, and it doesn't effect you so much later in life. But it does effect you when it happens. It effects your grades, and how you interact with people.

May 27, 2009 at 10:53 am |
  12. Daniel Nelson

We need to teach our children at a young age how to love one another. We as parents need to be good role models for our children and behave in a loving manner especially when we have a disagreement with others. Our children look at us as how to behave with each other. It is us as parents that needs to address this problem to our children.

May 27, 2009 at 10:55 am |
  13. johnchristopher

Bullying is not confined to the kids. It happens everyday all over the world. Dictators use it. Governments use it. Business uses it. It is an international scourge. Who is responsible?

All of us! Our children watch us do it (much more subtley than they do.

They learn this and other bad habits from us.

How do you deal with it?

Education! Education must become more involved in examining problems, observing social realities, exploring solutions and drawing intelligent conclusions.

Education must be in the business of building character, not indoctrinating children in our ideological spheres.

Don't blame the kids. They live what they learn...and from where I sit
    I am ashamed of my own generation. We have been a major part of the mess we find ourselves in.

May 27, 2009 at 10:56 am |
  14. John Miller

You are posing a question that is absolutely absurd. Everyone is off the mark in these trying times. It is up to every one. Institutions, Parents, Peers, everyone who has a social continence to hold the bullies responsible. Not to seek blame on Institutions, Parents and Family.

What happened in America to that chain, when something was done wrong by my self that my parents knew about it by the time I got home and not only that but the neighbor and my friends told me I was doing wrong and should straighten up my act.

I was help accountable by so many people. Society cared about what I did and let me know if I was on the wrong track.

May 27, 2009 at 11:00 am |
  15. James

I think It should be parents and the kids themselves that that stop cyberbullying, Teachers already have enough to do and no RESOURCES to to do them with. . Teachers don't pay the cell phone and internet bills and neither do the kids .We need to start holding kids accountable to the responsibilities we give them.

May 27, 2009 at 11:00 am |
  16. Charlie Erickson

I wonder if the kids involved, were boys, girls, or both.

May 27, 2009 at 11:02 am |
  17. Cooper

Goodmorning Heidi, "It takes a small village to raise a child" quote unknown. It's the community, school and parents responsibility. The moment we begin to assign responsibility a part of the ecology becomes defensive and the ball is dropped. An effective way to address the issues is involving all who has an influence in this child life. I understand we are addressing the victim and empowering the victim, but what about the signs and red flags of those kids who are doing the bullying. Maybe, parents can identify bullying behaviors from their own children and address that as well.

May 27, 2009 at 11:06 am |
  18. Cooper

John miller, I am so feelin you! There is a break down in communication between the adults, Parents don't trust that the educational system has thier child's best interest at hand and they definitely has lost trust in the community due to sex offenders, kidnapping, physical and verbal aggression from other adults. You are right, I would do something at school, if the teacher couldn't get a hold of my parents by phone; she showed up at dinner. That night, "a beatin was a comin" then she would get on the phone and gossip about it and the neighbors would see me the next day and say, " I heard about what you did, you should be ashamed of your self!"

May 27, 2009 at 11:17 am |
  19. Jack Medley

At what point do people realize that both, parents and schools are responsible to teach your children to be better. It's our own fault that we let society get to where it is now.

May 27, 2009 at 6:00 pm |
  20. Ernie

This is a lame move to try to take away freedom of speach,WAKE UP BEFORE WE LOSE THE 1st AMENMENT {...}

May 27, 2009 at 7:18 pm |
  21. Nancy Klawitter

It really is a joint responsibility between parent and school !!!!
    Parent s being aware of what their child is doing on line and
    school principals ready to assist if need be - when I was
    a Paraprofessional our Principal stated her authority ended at the
    childs' sidewalk to her/his home - I firmly believe this!!!!

June 5, 2009 at 8:03 pm |
  22. ghmckenzie

heidi,I live in st clair,mi and gas prices here are already over 2.90 per gallon,so much for national averages.I will say it's no surprise because we seem to be the highest in the country when it comes to fuel prices.

June 8, 2009 at 10:56 am |
  23. cherie watts

I Dont Think Anyone Other Than The Person Doing The Bullying is To Blame.The Parents Cant Control What their Children Are Doing All The Time. And You can Report This Stuff And Block Alot of These People.If Your Being Bullied Get Off Dont Listen And Then Report It . Thank You

October 4, 2010 at 2:25 pm |