Today on CNN Newsroom

May 28th, 2009

Judge Sotomayor's comment on wisdom

Critics have been jumping on a quote from Judge Sotomayor's 2001 lecture given at a conference at the University of California at Berkeley.

Here's the quote, "I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life." If you want to read the quote in context you can see the entire lecture at Berkeley's website.

What do you think? Let us know.
We're talking about it in our 1p and 2p hours of CNN NewsRoom.

Filed under: Don Lemon • Kyra Phillips
  1. RJ

can we say pander to the minority no matter what their views may be!

May 28, 2009 at 12:23 pm |
  2. RJ

again can we say pander to the minority, stop deleting my comment just because you dont agree with it! it sounds a bit racist to me for anyone to say how being a minority somehow makes you smarter or gives you the ability to make better judgements solely based on being a minority????? That alone should disqualify her from any consideration! Yes we need more women on the court, yes we need more minorities on the court but what we dont need is an opinionated minority feeling sorry for their race or a minority who only seeks to throw mud in the faces of white men and women!

May 28, 2009 at 12:54 pm |
  3. josh JG

can you stop calling her hispanic she calls herself a latina and I think thats how you should refer to her ethnic backgroud. there is a difference between those two words.

May 28, 2009 at 1:12 pm |
  4. Mauricio

No one is born wise.
    It is a lifetime of personal experiences, your innate (and cultivated) intellect, and yes, a healthy dose of empathy, that combine to create a person capable of issuing just judgement.
    To take Judge Sotomayor's quote entirely out of context in the manner Republicans have just shows how terrified these aging white men are of having the Supreme Court be truly representative of the current populace of the United States.
    Shame on them and their lack of wisdom.

May 28, 2009 at 1:14 pm |
  5. Dwight Lynn

Regarding outrageous bank fess: I receive a weekly unemployment payment through a state debit card. Well Fargo Bank is under contract to disburse those funds. No problem there. However, If I withdrawn money from any bank besides Wells Fargo, they hit me with a 35 cent penalty per withdrawal. So, I either use their ATM and pay a dollar per withdrawal, or pay them 35 cents and any other fess associated with the withdrawal

May 28, 2009 at 1:15 pm |
  6. c h applewhite

Thank you for showing the entire speech.Putting this into context should defuse this as a major issue. This except for "Fat Dumbaugh" who recently proved he failed math.

May 28, 2009 at 1:15 pm |
  7. j serna

do they have these extensive racism background checks for previous while male nominations? because if they don't then i'll say what they are doing to her is racist itself

May 28, 2009 at 1:16 pm |
  8. CSM

It is stunning that CNN continues to repeat the same idiotic discussion. A qualified judge has been appointed who also has an interesting story. However, to fill time, instead of reporting on new stories, you give credit to the idea that there is a real discussion about whether this woman is a racist.

You are letting the Rush and his minions set the agenda.

If there are real issues with Sotomayor, do some investigative reporting and find them. Is she corrupt? Did she pad her resume? Is she not a real judge?

But try to bring some reality into this continual perception based discussion.

May 28, 2009 at 1:16 pm |
  9. Raekwon

Even taken out of context Sotomayor still brings up a good point about the ignorance many white men have about racial minorities and the opposite sex. This all just seems like another desperate attack by the conservative base in this country who always grab their pitchforks when a brown person slams a white person, but refuse to lift a finger when the opposite occurs.

May 28, 2009 at 1:17 pm |
  10. David in Carlisle, PA

Conservatives are predictably foaming at the mouth and using selective focus to discredit and misinterpret Judge Sotomayor. Were it not for the confirmation process, their attempts would likely succeed. What the Right needs to realize is the position they're in is a result using the politics of fear and misinformation and back off, or at least speak in truths. Haven't they learned during the last few elections that Americans aren't as easily fooled anymore? If they haven't they are more doomed than they realize!

May 28, 2009 at 1:18 pm |
  11. sylvia busey

I HOPE SHE MAKES IT TO THE SURPREME COURT BUT AT THE SAME TIME I DON'T CAUSE THAT WAY THE REPUBLICANS WOULD LOSE ALL MEXICAN VOTES AND THAT WOULD MAKE ME VERY HAPPY.

May 28, 2009 at 1:18 pm |
  12. Frank in Sacramento

Sotomayor's nomination is a win-win for Democrats. If she is gets a seat on the Supreme Court Democrats win. If the GOP stops her appointment they guarantee the loss of any hope of getting the Latino vote for many years, Democrats win again.

May 28, 2009 at 1:19 pm |
  13. Jim

Judge Sotomayor is a highly qualified, intelligent person who does not exhibit racism or unfairness as her GOP detractors do. Republicans are obviously terrified that a Justice who cares about the truth rather than an ideology developed from lies and hate will be appointed and disturb their little "men's club."

May 28, 2009 at 1:19 pm |
  14. Debra Chaffin

Thank you Don for reading Judge Sonia Sotomayor's IN FULL CONTEXT a few moments ago to Barbara Perry, Supreme Court Scholar, Author. The kind of looking for the FULL TRUTH in news reporting instead of "soundbytes" to keep desperate controversy seekers in the news media is what will always keep you, Don Lemon as well as your other collegues there at CNN superior in my book with news reporting compared with the other news stations, that I dare not mention. (I don't have to.) Keep up the great work such as this VERY IMPORTANT piece.....and CNN will always stand apart as the true news station that it is.
    Sincerely,
    Debra Chaffin

P.S. This is not flattery. I'M just telling the TRUTH!!!

May 28, 2009 at 1:21 pm |
  15. Jim

Judge Sotomayor is a highly qualified, intelligent person who does not exhibit racism or unfairness as her GOP detractors seem to do. Republicans are obviously terrified that a Justice who cares about the truth rather than an ideology will be appointed and disturb their little “men’s club.”

May 28, 2009 at 1:21 pm |
  16. Kathleen Davis

The comment in context makes clear that Judge Sotomayor simply believes that her experiences add to her ability to make good judgements, not that her entire viewpoint is seen through a Latina lens. The statistics and history that she cites are facts. Similarly, as someone who earned her law degree at Berkeley in a class of 10 women and 290 men in the late '70s, I can tell you that when someone presents evidence to me of a hostile work environment, I don't rule it out as impossible the same way one of my colleagues might who is a white male. Experience lends credibility, deeper thought and better analysis – it doesn't do away with the law or the facts. Any of us who have had a hard won and sucessful legal career have worked to make sure we are analytically above reproach. To try to make something negative of Judge Sotomajor's comment is grasping for old ideas that are obsolete.

May 28, 2009 at 1:21 pm |
  17. Bernie

I heard the 1:00 pm story where I think Don read her entire statement "in context". It is blatantly racist and sexist even in context.

Maybe you need to take her words at face value instead of trying to interperet them to be what you want them to mean.

May 28, 2009 at 1:22 pm |
  18. Jim

Judge Sotomayor is a highly qualified, intelligent person who does not exhibit racism or unfairness as her GOP detractors sometimes seem to do. Republicans are obviously terrified that a Justice who is not a mouthpiece for their ideology will be appointed and disturb their little “men’s club.”

May 28, 2009 at 1:23 pm |
  19. Robert Pryor

If it's okay for this latina judge to say and apply her heritage and gender to her decisions and for everyone to accept this as okay then to be "equal" everyone HAS TO accept and allow "white men" to do and say the same. If not then all who are not "white men" need to be judged as those who they are oppressing. The standard must then be if a statement is made it must be judged by asking the question "how would this be perceived and accepted if a white man said it". If that is not done then we have just destroyed all the advances of all civil rights leaders. Maybe it's now time for a NAAWP, a white congressional caucus, white businessmens assoc., etc.
    Oppression is wrong even if applied to white America. If we are now going to punish white America for historys wrongs I want you to go to any grade school gather all the white children and look at them and say "you will all now pay for something you have nothing to do with, had no part in but because of your race we will take from you and oppress you" Have at it.

May 28, 2009 at 1:23 pm |
  20. Jeff

It is now fair to call Judge Sotomayor’s 2001 statement racist. You must read or watch the entire lecture not just a small part that the GOP can twist and exaggerate on cable news to defame Judge Sotomayor’s reputation. CNN should not just read the part that the GOP is focusing on but the entire statement so everyone can understand what she was saying and decide for themselves.

May 28, 2009 at 1:24 pm |
  21. Mike M , Lady Lake, Fl

Let's put the City of New Haven, Conn. vrs Fire Fighters case to a test. Let's say for a moment that only black fire fighters passed the test, and the city dismissed the test because no white fire fighters passed. What would this be? I can just hear it now. How would Judge Sotomayor side on this? Why did the City of New Haven dismiss the test in the first place? What was the bases of Judge Sotomayor’s rendering on this case, and why did she back the City of New Haven in the first place? There are just too many unanswered questions on this case, but at face value, it looks like a prime example of reverse discrimination. Further, after reviewing some of Judge Sotomayor’s past cases, I could help but notice a lot of reversals from higher courts. Don't get me wrong, I support President Obama, but I just think he got this one wrong.

May 28, 2009 at 1:25 pm |
  22. Denise GA.

Thank you for reading Sotomayor's speech, Mr. Lemon. As, an American I feel it is so sad to see the lengths "Conservatives" will go to destroy anything the Obama's administration does.

May 28, 2009 at 1:26 pm |
  23. Ted

Don,
    I pity any nominee to any position in the federal goverment for the scrutiny that will be focused upon them. Lord help them if they ever said something politically incorrect in kindergarten 43 years ago.

May 28, 2009 at 1:26 pm |
  24. Aline Manzi

I favor Sotomayor nomination because I've long promulgated the knowledge that men and women think very differently, have different brains as well as different experiences, and judgments come therefore from a different place in a woman than in a man. Men and women are two different species, when it comes to thinking!

May 28, 2009 at 1:27 pm |
  25. Jose

no, rj. lol.
    like Mauricio so eloquently said, once again you republicans are burying your self even more making miscalculated ridiculous attacks. your just putting your self deeper in the dog house.

May 28, 2009 at 1:27 pm |
  26. Gus

I'm not surprised at the Republicans claims of racism. They has always been the party to use racism to excite their clueless base. The same kind of response was given by Justice Alito, but for the Republicans it candid when a white man gives his opinion on race but when minorities does it then it is racism. This party stays in power by using the race card in every election be it local or national. It is a shame.

May 28, 2009 at 1:27 pm |
  27. Matt

While I consider myself to be liberal minded, I do consider these comments extremely concerning and possibly racist. When you read the whole speech, it actually made the case for her being a reverse racist even stronger. If this had been a white male saying this, there would be no way he would survive the inevitable media barrage. Race determines nothing but race, and saying a Latino woman would reach a better conclusion more often than not than a white man is clearly racist and she needs to either clarify her comments or apologize.

May 28, 2009 at 1:28 pm |
  28. P. Wynn Norman

"[When it comes to gender and race issues...] I would hope that a wise WHITE MAN with the richness of HIS experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a MINORITY FEMALE who HAS lived that life.”

Need I write more?

May 28, 2009 at 1:29 pm |
  29. Robert Pryor

You loser lerftist whining charity cases need to realize "equal rights" doesn't mean "special privileges" if you want to do better get off your lazy butts and earn it. Get an deducation, make money and get out of the "hood" that's your oppression. I didn't do it and neither did my children. I won't pay for you can continue to be a lzy do nothing whiner. Quit crying and bring yourself up!

May 28, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  30. Keith

I am an old white guy and recognize that a Latina woman who grew up in the projects of The Bronx will bring a different life experience than I. And this is a good thing. In addition to her professional qualifications, Judge Sotomayor brings a valuable outlook that can only enrich the court and help it better serve our country.

May 28, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  31. Charlie Erickson

I grew up in a housing project in Brooklyn. Virtually all of my neighbors, as well as all of my friends, were Black, Cuban and Puerto Rican. A few were actually from Africa. I learned of different cultures and of different cuisines (yummy!!). When my dad was on one of rampages, many of these sweet, kind families, let me, my brother and mother with my baby sister stay over for a night or two. Being that we were dirt poor, the delicious food they would always serve, was a big help.

Later on, in the Army, I again met many from other cultures. The perspective I have on people and life, is shaped by all that. It has made me an open minded independent thinker and a lover of diversity. I'm sure that would affect greatly, any conclusions on any given subject, which I might come to.

As a little white kid from the projects, I understand where she is coming from. It's something you can't always put into words properly.

There's a rule I created long ago, and a rule that I always try to live by. It is a simple one.

"If something you are about to do or say seems right; it may or may not be.

If something you are about to do or say seems wrong; then it probably is.

Ponder carefully, before you do or say".

Charlie.

May 28, 2009 at 1:32 pm |
  32. James Schneider

I am a white male and I think that Judge Sotomayor is right on the money. I haven't experienced the life of other people yet some want to judge simply from their life experiences. We need someone with a different cultural experience to help get us where we need to be, now and in the future. This is much ado about nothing until you realize the fundraising opportunities for conservatives. Then it all makes sense.

May 28, 2009 at 1:33 pm |
  33. Gus

Don, thank you for reading the speech in context. This is not the usual way the media does news anymore. The "sound bite" nonsense has invaded the news and by so disgraced the TV media. That is why the majority of American resort to the internet. Thank you Don, for putting things in prespective.

May 28, 2009 at 1:33 pm |
  34. Matt

As a former neighbour of Judge Sotomayor I can confirm she exhibited neither racism nor unfairness when participating in issues relating to the building's laundry and garbage collection.
    Criticism clutching at straws much?

May 28, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  35. johnchristopher

Historically the white decision makers have been under enormous pressure to come to the "white" conclusion. For too long, people of my colour, have had significant advantage over all other because white males exclusively dominated law making and the justice system. It is time that the likes of Mitt Romney, Rush Limbaugh and Karl Rove were dragged, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century.

May 28, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  36. Debra

Don, your reading the comments by Judge Sotomayer IN FULL CONTEXT "confirmed" what I already believed by hearing a few statements after this soundbyte in a news article, I believe. She is not a racist.! She was accused of that by THOSE "RNC"..Russ, Newt, Cheney...who truly are.

May 28, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  37. Regena

Thanks for giving the full context of Sotmayor's speech. Republicans have become so desperate they are not only know as the "Party of NO" but they are also becoming known for 'cropping' statements to use as a mens to slander a person or party who differs from their political views. FOX News is so extreme in using this method of journalism that it's become too difficult watch their network.

May 28, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  38. Julie

I thought it was good for Mr. Lemon to put Judge Sotomayor's comments about her decision-making as a Latina in context this afternoon. Mr. Lemon emphasized several times the importance of putting that comment in context of the entire speech. I would, however, be curious if CNN had given Rush Limbaugh the same courtesy to put his comment, "I hope he (Barack Obama) fails" in context as well. How much airtime was allotted to playing Mr. Limbaugh's entire statement, which actually concluded that he hoped Obama's policies would fail?

May 28, 2009 at 1:39 pm |
  39. Tim Cooper

Dear Don,

The accusation that Judge Sotomayor is racist based upon her observation concerning the abilities of a "wise Latina" is quite ridiculous.
    First, her statement was that she "would hope that" a wise Latina would make a better decision than a white male without the same experiences, not that such an outcome was a certainty. I take her remark as a celebration of the abilities of Latinas rather than as a denigration of white men. The news media has been rather inaccurate in its reporting by indicating that she said a Latina would make a better decision than a white male. Words matter and should be reported correctly. Second, the entire speech bears out the fact that she was giving a very honest and thoughtful analysis of how life experiences affect all of our judgments and why it is important to have a wide diversity in our judiciary.

May 28, 2009 at 1:40 pm |
  40. Arn

CNN generally invites guests who agree with their slant on an issue, as was the case with Don Lemon and Judge Sotomayor’s statement. This one-sided point of view is being spoon-fed to people and CNN is looking more and more like a 24 hour infomercial. If a white man who brings his wealth of life experiences to the Court made a similar statement, the Democrats would be all over him. Dems have fought every Rebulican nomination (inluding a minority...the only black man on the Supreme Court), so it only stands to reason the Rebulicans, who have a different ideaology would do likewise. Also, it was a GOP President who nominated the first woman to the Supreme Court
    (Sandra Day O’Connor).

May 28, 2009 at 1:42 pm |
  41. simon

Don, do you believe if Don Imus have said the same thing, his words would not be taken out of contest, regardless of his full speech? For a judge, that statement is controversial and should be, because if a white male or female have said the same thing, her appointed will not happened no matter how qualified she or he is. Art is in the eye of the beholder and so is racism.

May 28, 2009 at 1:43 pm |
  42. Earl King

Without question it is a racists comment. If a white male judge had made a simular comment you would be aksing the question. she is essentially saying if you a person of color I'll give you a better decision than a white male...apparently the idea that "justice is blind" doesn't pass her test. I guess we are going down the road of justice being political....

May 28, 2009 at 1:44 pm |
  43. Donald

I think that a lot of factors can influence judges. What the law dictates on paper is a collection of ideas from a lot of people who have experieced different environments. On a sub conscious level, what makes you an individual can play a part in your descion making. Sotomayor and her comments show you how directly people should be instead of sugar coating things. Wisdom is acquired from experiences and environment and hers has been unique. On the racial issue come on, the G.O.P should just let it rest, a rolling stone gathers no moss. They have been just taking too many things out of context

May 28, 2009 at 1:45 pm |
  44. Natalie Draggoo

Trained as a psycho therapst, I place a high value on consciousness which applies here. It seems to me that I would rather have a Justice who is aware of their potential biases and the experiences that shaped them. Just because you are not conscious of them, it does not necessarily follow that they do not have an impact on your decisions. In reality, the more unconscious....the more potentially dangerous.

May 28, 2009 at 1:49 pm |
  45. Dan - Eustis, florida

Judge Sotomayor's comments on wisdom were taken out of context.
    Which enabled the Republican talking heads to spin their lies. CNN
    also put the spin on yesterday doing their best to stir up a tempest. Why
    can't the News be reported truthfully instead of imbellished to cause a
    stir. Judge Stomayor has been treated unfairly by the Media, including
    CNN and who would expect fair treatment from the Republican Lie
    machine. Which is a spin off from the Carl Rove years. Please report
    the News don't create it.

May 28, 2009 at 1:49 pm |
  46. Steve J of The Villages

Don,
    I am a 60+ year old white man. Even the selective sound bite that has been taken out of context and apparently outraged OLD WHITE MEN is not understood. Judge Sotomayer's sentence begins with “I WOULD HOPE". She did not say that “IT WOULD". In my opinion I feel she is correct. I also WOULD HOPE that her decision would “more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male".

Steve J.

May 28, 2009 at 1:51 pm |
  47. Charles

It is not surprising that providing the context for the infamous quote gives one a fairer sense of what was meant. As much as CNN is to be credited for making the full context accessible, why didn't CNN and other media outlets provide the fuller context from the outset when the quote was first uncovered? Sure controversial quotes out of context sell, but in this case, it has influenced how people define and see this important issue. I expect better from CNN who prides itself on fairness.

May 28, 2009 at 1:51 pm |
  48. pewkster

Sotomayor is a racist, sexist bigot and should not be allowed to sit in judgment at any level.

May 28, 2009 at 1:54 pm |
  49. Jorge Fuentes

No, it is not racist. I don't think that those that are criticizing the Judge, have the intellectual virtue that one needs to decipher what she said, when told in full context.

May 28, 2009 at 1:55 pm |
  50. Gr82bGrn

Terrible pick for the highest court in the land. Big mistake bringing activists judges who openly display their prejudice on the court. The legislature makes laws, not judges. Hope she is not confirmed!!!

May 28, 2009 at 1:55 pm |
  51. James, NJ

I don't know why it still amazes me that people have a difficult time with intelligent dialogue. I'm a white upper middle class male who wouldn't have a clue as to what it's like living in the heart of a gang neighborhood in Los Angeles.
    Where's the story here ? How about our representatives grow up and do the job we sent them to Washington to do !

May 28, 2009 at 2:02 pm |
  52. Alma

Thank you for providing the ENTIRE text of Sotomayer's Berkeley speech. While all of us could have done that, the likelihood is very small. And shame on us, as the "hype' and the Limbaugh conservatives play on this by taking one statement out of the whole. When the context is read, it is clear she is not referring to every situation but only those situations where the life experience of either a Latina like herself or a white male in the case of another may bring a greater depth in understanding the impact of an interpretation of the law.

May 28, 2009 at 2:04 pm |
  53. Ty W. Rutledge

A judge whose decisions have been over-turned 60% of the time, should not even considered as a Supreme Court Justice.
    Northern District of Georgia Federal Judge Harold Murphy to the best of my knowledge has never been over-turned. He has been on the bench 40 years! He should have been a Supreme Court Justice years ago.

May 28, 2009 at 2:12 pm |
  54. Otis

Rather than sound racial, I would categorize her statements past and PRESENT as being an insight to her desire to legislate from the bench by interpreting a law to fit her personal predetermined agenda rather than as legally sound decision based on the merits of the question(s) being argued.

May 28, 2009 at 2:12 pm |
  55. Nancy Dessommes

Sotomayor's remarks about the difference between the sensitivities of white males as opposed to those of women of color are correct and not racist. Because whites speak from the historical position of power, they can be racist; Latinos cannot.
    Nancy in Statesboro GA

May 28, 2009 at 3:07 pm |
  56. Howard H

However else her remarks may be seen, they were foolish, arrogant, and show no wisdom whatsoever. Her job as a Supreme Court justice will be to apply the Constitution of the United States as written, hopefully as the definition of the limitations of government power. Unfortunately, her words strongly suggests that her "wisdom" will become the law of the land. As far as I am concerned, that makes her unfit for the post.

May 28, 2009 at 3:47 pm |
  57. Rick Boulware

Sonia Sotomayor is infinitely qualified for the nomination and for a seat on the Supreme Court. Because the GOP has been in complete control for the last 8 years, they are sore that their status quo has been altered. They are so upset that Obama is president that they have resolved to gripe and carp about every move and every decision made by Obama’s administration. They have opted for this sort of low-handed tactic because they are afraid to express their real concerns: that Obama is neither white nor Republican. They need to get over it and start acting like Americans.

May 28, 2009 at 3:49 pm |
  58. Jessica

I'd just like to commend Eric Boehlert for the way he handled the conversation about Sotomayor. And thank YOU for the airing the quote from Judge Ito!

May 28, 2009 at 3:55 pm |
  59. D-Source

Judge Satomayor's Allegeged Activism:

Based on her speach: Satomayor believes that a Judge should aspire to be non-biased to the best of their ability. However, she questions the ability any person has to completely ignore their own personal life experiences and knowledge, which happen to be widely execepted ingredients of wisdom. Wisdom is what we all want in a Judge.

In short: A judge who is wise; is wise, in part, do to life experiences and the diversity of those experiences. Alhough he or she will aspire to judge stricktly to the rule of law, their own perspective of what is wise will, inevitably, influence decisions. That is why people loby for certain genders and races on the bench, because this is an inevitability. I, personally, applaud her honesty and respect her commitment to aspire to being as non-biazed as she can.

Her Alleged Racist Statement:

Her alleged statement concerning Race and Gender, was not concerning Race and Gender, at all. It was an example that happened to include two people of different races and genders. But when read in context; the intention was to point out that a person, regardless of race or gender, with more experiences and a better diversity of experience (which in most cases means more wisdom) will make a better decision than one who has less of each or either. After reading her speach, I can fault her for not being politicaly savy enough to pick a better example, but I can not call her a racist. In fact, what she said was very wise, in my humble opinion.

May 28, 2009 at 4:55 pm |
  60. John Harris

She is a RACIST!!! At least the GOP has the guts to call this woman out. She is not a real American and I am tired of the reverse discrimination against white men. We are the real victims in this country. If hispanics can't accept our way of life then they should go back to Mexico.

May 28, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  61. Susan Emerson

Dear Mr. Lemon, I have waited days for CNN to realize that Judge Sotomayor's extracted comments from her speech "A Latina Judge's Voice" were taken so far out of context that her intent was totally missed. I was at the point where I wasn't going to watch CNN anymore...even your "most respected" newscasters kept repeating the out of context sentence or two. And, FINALLY, you announced this morning that you would read the areas in question, in full context. Thank you for stepping up to the plate and doing the right thing. Now, maybe a factual dialog can begin.

May 28, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  62. Arn

Just to correct Rick Boulware: Obama is half-white.

May 28, 2009 at 5:44 pm |
  63. Robert

Why is it called "reverse" descrimination when it's done to Whites? Why is it always presented as Whites on one side and everyone else on the other? The white have ruled because they do it best. The whiners are coming up because they've learned to cry the loudest. They should be ashamed and embarrassed of always asking for a hand out. I also grew up poor in New York City in the 60's. I also spent 15 years in federal prison with everyone from Latin Kings to GD's, La EME, Vice Lords, Dirty White Boys, Aryan Brotherhood, Crips, Bloods you name it. You want equality? Go learn it from the real world not your idealistic fantasies. I got along and was respected by all and joined none. Those men had very real experiences to talk of, and they weren't the rhetoric you hear on T.V. Know this, if you want representation then you should have it but judge your rep as you judge mine. Gingrich and Limbaugh are way too radically Right BUT what do you call Jesse Jackson? What do you call Al Sharpton? Do they get a pass to do and say anything racist and prejudice because they're Black? Blacks are 14% of the population they should have a 14% say in everything, to give any more is to take voice from someone else. If you're not willing to be judged don't judge, if you don't want yours taken don't take from someone else. And always remember racist isn't spelled w-h-i-t-e.

Liberal ideology of playing Robin Hood and taking from the rich giving to the poor does not work. It only oppresses and discourages the recipients, it doesn't motivate. Maybe that's why our minorities are unable to bring themselves up.
    Read your history books only 10% of the slaves were brought to the U.S. blacks are not indigenous to Cuba, Haiti, the Dominican Republic etc. but do they cry oppression? No just those here. Do the Chinese cry? No they just rise above, do the Irish complain? Oh, yeah they're White they're not allowed, are they?
    Read your history books on how the emancipated slaves who went to Liberia treated the indigenous people of Liberia and see your future. Here blacks call themselves African-Americans in Liberia they call themselves American-Africans. Can't we just be Americans and have the same standard for all? Probably not it's just not human nature.
    WHITE AMERICA QUIT GIVING AWAY YOUR CHILDRENS INHERITANCE !!!

May 28, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  64. Robert

Oh yeah, "racist" means someone who feels his or her race is superior. If you don't feel your race is "all that" then you have an inferiority complex. Don't be ashamed of who you are (even if you're white) as you should be proud. But you can't be proud riding someone's coat tail, go out and get yours on your own merits, then you too can achieve being a racist, lol.

May 28, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  65. Bernie

Nancy,

Latinos can't be racist?? You are kidding right?? Hate comes in all skin colors and sexual orientations. So does wisdom.

May 28, 2009 at 7:58 pm |
  66. Dennis from Danbury, Iowa

If this woman isn't severely RACIST and SEXIST....there is no such thing! She has absolutely NO BUSINESS making decisions for ALL PEOPLE. This is just a ploy for votes....or the worst kind of Affirmative Action possible. Would Obama have made this pick had the statement been made about a black male? I THINK NOT.

May 29, 2009 at 9:28 am |
  67. Bruce

Dear RNC,

Here is just another example how you are quickly losing, or about to lose Independant voters like myself. I tend to lean toward many Republican views, but when your party embraces pompous arragant people like Limbaugh, it scares me. I think Michael Steele had it right (no pun intended).

May 29, 2009 at 10:22 am |
  68. Betty Phillips

Please print my message I have just sent. Why not???

May 29, 2009 at 10:48 am |
  69. kevinmc3

What else, the liberal left will defend her no matter if she said "hang all white men", the right will pounce on her highly suspect comments. It's all a case study in hypocrisy. Just take a look at how the left went after Clarence Thomas. All these comments above are irrelevant, it’s all about personal agendas.
    Come CNN, surely you can print one comment that disagrees with your liberal views? Maybe?

May 29, 2009 at 12:04 pm |
  70. RJ

by the way all you left wingers, I did vote for Obama for the change he has promised but all I haveseen is more giveaways to minorities, poor, and the filthy rich! I`ve have worked just as hard as many of you left wingers for my piece of the pie only to see Obama take it from me and give to well like I said before, thats the real crime! I drive by road construction sites everyday and see the majority of the workers are either documented workers or just plain illegals, why dont all you left wingers ask Obama why he has reneged on his promise to put America back to work and not Mexico?????

May 29, 2009 at 1:56 pm |
  71. RJ

Obama keeps leaning more and more to the left, if he doesnt watch out he will be a one termer and a Republican will be back in office whether thats good or not who knows but we were heading way to the right and now way to the left, neither of which is good for this country! What we need is someone in the middle who can make fair and just decisions based on right and wrong, and not based on race, gender!

May 29, 2009 at 2:07 pm |
  72. RJ

Has anyone heard about the story out of Detriot about a 16 year old black male who ran from the cops and got tazed and then died well I bet you have, now did you hear about 6 monthsw ago the 15 year old white male in Bay City Michigan who got unrulely with the police and they tazed him as well which resulted in his death, I BET YOU HADNT, WHY????the only reason I can come up with is the fact the kid in Bay City was a white kid and the other kid was black. Now it seems to me as far as the media is concerned the black kids life was worth more than the white kids was! Its happening all over America, we as a united country can not tolerate biased coverage and treatment between the colors! Ya-Ya, I know for years it was the other way around but it has switched and there will never be a united America if all minorities are against whire people, you have to remember there are still a lot of us whities still in this country and we deserve just as fair of treatment that any minority recieves!

May 29, 2009 at 2:20 pm |
  73. RJ

To Robert, you sir have made the most sense out of all these comments today, thank you for showing these people real intelligence, and common sense, oh by the way I`m Irish and my people have been crapped on every since we come here to this land and thank you for recognizing it! American people must also know because they dont teach this in your school books, that it was the black man who sold the black man to the white man to begin with, not that that makes it right but it is the truth! Just think where blacks would be today had they not been sold into slavery. Most likely they would still live in a mostly uncivilized continent full of war, rape and pillage, kind of whats going on today in Africa! One thing I do know is there sure wouldnt be a black president named OBAMA!

May 29, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  74. Robert

RJ – You are ON POINT! The issues today aren't equal rights for those who in the past weren't equal, the issue today is take from Whitey and take it all. There is no Black slaves in America today so why do I have to give what I earn to someone who hates me and feels they have the right to speak of me anyway they want while if I even mention a race or ethnicity I'm a racist ? I say the h**l with all of you liberal racist losers! I feel ALL Whites should just say no more charity for anyone until they appreciate and respect where it's coming from. Whites are at least two thirds of the population in America and we should all close our wallets and say now you're equal, now you get what you give, and see who rises up and who perishes. Whites need National Organizations to promote and advance our rights and protect us from having to be the check book for anyone who isn't white.

As for Sotomayor- if she's not a racist then either is Limbaugh and there isn't any question about Limbaugh. Obama is just showing his true color-just like his wife, have you seen any white children being "helped" and inspired by her? Do all you white people feel your little girls don't deserve to be included? Do you feel your little girls and boys should be left behind because non-white children were in the past? Is it your choice to give away their country? If not then STAND UP FOR YOURSELF AND YOUR CHILDREN !!! Sotomayor is just the first of many Obama will put in place to take your childs future away.
    Whites need true rights organizations! Not some supremist group or KKK with their own violent agendas of hate. We need real representation NOW!

May 29, 2009 at 7:57 pm |
  75. Robert

Once again the double standard of the liberal left that CNN is has censored a view not aligned with their own. What's next? Ever read the Animal Farm? You should have in grade school. Everyone's equal just some are more equal than others, take away all the books and censor the media then you will be free, right? Thanks CNN for showing your true color.
    Obama said it well in his last statement on Sotomayor, that it's not right to take a few statements and judging the person. He advocates racism toward Whites period. Welcome to the America you voted for people, Welcome to "change"

Censor that CNN-why respect the First Amendment it was written by White men.

May 30, 2009 at 11:14 am |
  76. johnchristopher

One cannot experience the newsroom and comments today without getting the distinct impression that human stupidity, greed and evil is endless. There is greatness in humanity, but it is so buried under mindless acceptance of archaic belief systems, it cannot breathe.

"There are places to go beyond belief." – Neil Armstrong, 1994

May 31, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  77. Kevin T

I am just not sure why this issue is focused on the Latina Female vs White Male issue rather than the more important issue of Experiences vs NON-Experiences. We all at time make a poor choice of words and find it rather disconcerting that we as a Human Race seem to focus on the "DRAMA" than the real issue. Maybe we should just have Joe the Plummer nominated to the Supreme Court then....He is a White Male!!

We as white males have always been the bottom of the totem pole ever since EEOC was invented, and that still remains today. We would rather hire/employ people to fill a quota than just hire based on the best qualified. I have seen and still see this more often than I can really stomach.

June 2, 2009 at 11:58 am |
  78. Mike In Florida

I am so disgusted with her white male comment. She is a racist and there is not place in today's world for that. If that comment would be have referenced African Americans the reverend and Jesse would have been all over it but those racist's only show their face when its convenient for them. There will be several people that say this was taken out of context correct? Now with that said the majority of all the other so called racist stuff that gets blown up is also taken out of context so this is no different. Excuse me it is different because of who it affected. Remove that racist NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 2, 2009 at 12:00 pm |
  79. Bryan

Her comment is certainly racial. If it were a white man saying such a thing about a latina woman it would be called racism. You only need to look to the crime rates and overall disfunction of places like Puerto Rico and Mexico to see what latina wisdom will bring the U.S.

June 2, 2009 at 6:53 pm |
  80. Josh.M

I agree with Sotomayor.Better decsions will be made by an individual with a deep prospective into the american culture as a whole.those who only have a wealthy outlook tend to beleive that the povershed do not require assistance because the rich cannot fathom being poor.

June 3, 2009 at 1:21 pm |
  81. Clifford Helmke

If the remarks may by Sotomayor is not racism then the remarks by a man in cartunist is not racism.

June 5, 2009 at 10:15 am |