Today on CNN Newsroom

May 28th, 2009

Spelling Bee Time!

2009 Scripps National Spelling Bee host Tom Bergeron talked spelling strategy with Heidi at 9:30 AM Thursday.

We decided to give him a spelling test.

Filed under: Heidi Collins
  1. Vinny

Hi Heidi! I kind of chuckled when you pronounced civitas as Kiwitas. I think that was not correct by the Latin I learnt in High School. There're three syllables in that word: the first, "Ci" is pronounced as in the first syllable of the word "City"; "Vi" as in the first syllabus of the word "Video"; and finally, "Tas" remains as such in pronunciation. Kudos to you though.

May 28, 2009 at 10:28 am |
  2. Tom Brightman

Re: Military suicides. There is a stigma in our society against seeking psychiatric help, especially in the military. If every serviceman was required to undergo 6 months of mandatory psychiatric treatment after every tour of duty at their home base before going on another tour or being discharged, this would go a long way towards reducing the suicides, and help them to re-adjust to civilian life. If everyone has to undergo treatment, they could talk freely to a specialist without censure.

May 28, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  3. David

Congratulations on posting this intvw. Even better the second time around, and also the third. I didn't realize how much I enjoyed your pronouncing the word kiwitas a word that you obviously made up. Even so an overwhelming experience. Kind of like being in the spelling bee.

So Judge Sotomayor saved baseball? That alone should get her halfway at least through her confirmation hearings. Unless her potential opponents start throwing things because she's somewhat outspoken.

May 29, 2009 at 7:18 am |
  4. Wesley Haynes

Laodicean – in different or luke warm especially towards religion. Not lackadaisical.

May 29, 2009 at 9:45 am |
  5. Jack Louden

Dear Heidi,
    I watch you all the time and was touched by the African American teen who is going off to Boston College. What a great story. I also just graduated from GA State University with my Master's Degree in Music (Choral Conducting). I am seeking employment and would like to offer my thoughts on the job market for someone like myself- 53 year old male who wants to get back into teaching. I would be happy to appear on your show.

May 29, 2009 at 9:55 am |
  6. Richard

National Spelling Bee 2009 champion won by spelling "Laodicean" correctly. What is "Laodicean"? It's a Biblical word found in Revelation 3:14-22(NIV) that is critically important as it refers to what Biblical experts know to be "duality" – that is, it refers to both that specific 1st century Christian Church but also refers to the last, end-time generation of Christians having the predominant attitude of "lukewarm" or wishy-washy in their approach.

Laodicean Church – Wikipedia

Revelation 3:14–22 (NIV)

May 29, 2009 at 9:56 am |
  7. Doug Snapp

Ahee thingk theez kidz ahr amaizing!

May 29, 2009 at 10:57 am |
  8. Randy Daniel

I would love to see you on Dancing With The Stars. Stay on Tom to give you a shot at the Mirror Ball Trophy. Let us know if you get on.

May 29, 2009 at 10:59 am |
  9. Tony

Ms Collins

I have watched you for many years on Cnn and thought you are an excellent anchor. I have never looked at you in any other manner ...until today. I realized how attractive you are. I thought that I would take the time to share this with you. Continue the good work and have a great day.

June 9, 2009 at 10:36 am |
  10. Marcus

Cool story as for me. I'd like to read something more concerning this theme.

October 22, 2009 at 6:10 am |