Today on CNN Newsroom

May 29th, 2009

Homeless Teen Wins Scholarship

We’ve been showing you stories all month, about the Class of ’09.

And on Friday – we had a really special one:

Meet 17-year-old Danielle Galloway. She grew up homeless in Atlanta.

Bounced from shelter to shelter. And attended 10 different schools.

But none of that stopped her from achieving her goal: a good education.

As Danielle says, “it always felt good to be the smart one.”

Now – she has graduated in the top 25% of her high school class. And she’s won a full scholarship to Boston University.

Heidi talked to this amazing young woman, in The Newsroom:

Filed under: Anchors • Heidi Collins
  1. T. J. Patterson

This was very motivating story of a young lady who sets an example, that one canaccomplish their particular goal.

May 29, 2009 at 2:24 pm |
  2. H.J. Weglarz

One can only be inspired by this young gal's enthusiasm for

learning. Her life experiences will help to propel her to the

head of her class in college. Thank you CNN for presenting

this gal's story.

May 30, 2009 at 12:13 am |
  3. Carla

Thank you again CNN for sharing such a wonderful story!

My little sister, as an African American mathematician myself, I am proud of you.

I am confident you will be very successful having chosen a challenging major.

Ask questions. Always get the any help you need.

Congrats!

May 30, 2009 at 1:55 am |
  4. Ghijuanna Bates

Simply amazing..... The adage "An obstacle for one is an opportunity for another" still rings true. Best wishes to Miss Galloway.

May 30, 2009 at 5:17 am |
  5. Eric Height

Having watched the interview between Danielle Galloway and Heidi Collins, I was forced to wipe away a tear. Having taught at a high school for 30 years and a college simultaneously for 25 five years, I saw in this wonderful child what is rare in this "It's all about me generation." While we are running around looking to blame almost anybody for the pathtic status quo of our system of public education. One need look no further then our students, most of whom are lazy, disrespectful, lie constantly and it's getting worse. And, I am not talking of the "behaviorally challenged-which is another story.
    Go get em, Danielle; I for one am your cheerleader

May 30, 2009 at 5:39 am |
  6. Personal Responsibility Fan

I am glad that stories like this still get reported and I am really happy that working hard, winning a scholarship and taking responsibility for your life still happens today in the U.S., I wish her the best. However, it is disappointing to see other stories on CNN, like the one earlier today in the NewsRoom, where it seemed that it was California governor's fault that another hard working high school graduate was not going to be able to go to college from Oakland. No mention was ever made that the student could apply for a loan or a scholarship from private donors. It seemed like his only choice was a grant from the government. It was even more surprising that he made the following comment: Give me a Cal Grant so I don't go on welfare!! Great that you don't want to be on welfare, but why make it sound like blackmail?? Don't think everybody else owes you, take charge of your life and find a way without depending on the government!!! In none of these news stories, no mention is ever made that maybe there would be money for more education grants if government payrolls wouldn't be so bloated with wasteful spending politicians who only like to spend other people's hard earned money (which they don't help produce) and not their own.

May 30, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  7. Danielle Galloway

This is Danielle Galloway and I want to thank everyone who are praying, wishing, rooting, and hoping for my success. It is people like you that help young people like me succeed. I am happy to know that I have touched or inspired someone's life. Thank you for your support.

May 30, 2009 at 8:09 pm |
  8. vernon mcgowan

i went to high school with danielle and she is very very smart....and she is really cool....me and her are really good friends....im gonna mmiss her

May 30, 2009 at 8:21 pm |
  9. J.Mav-FL

Top 25%, and she got a full scholarship to BU? I wonder if this is affirmative action at work. I went to BU. I graduated top 5% of my class and was not offered any scholarship (but then I'm white). My son is graduating HS soon and there are few to none offers of scholarships or grants for him because he's white and male.
    I don't mean to take away from this young woman's dedication to her education. She should be proud of her efforts. I merely question the scholarship requirements.

June 8, 2009 at 10:28 am |
  10. esdot03

Congratulations to Danielle despite the challenges and difficulties in life you persevered and made it. Continue to do great things.. . @ J-Mav and the last comment its not up to you to question the scholarship unless you were on the board. We do not know the circumstances. Being a student from BU you should know it has little to do with descriptive qualifications and every thing to do with substantive life experience. That applies in the class room and out.. Let's be honest and real. This has been the year of the cry baby for white males. Supremacy at this point is not only challenged but feels like a distant memory. People get over yourselves, the girl was homeless! yet you question it because your son didn't get a scholarship!.. Smh

June 9, 2009 at 4:39 pm |
  11. S. Wade

Dear J.Mav-FL,

Scholarships are based on more than your GPA. They are also based on need. If you were in the bed beside her in that shelter, along with a single mom and 5 younger siblings, had no income, AND still graduated in the top 5% of your class then I could see validity in your complaint.

As for your son, I agree with esdot03. Maybe you should allow him to see how the rest of the world lives before you send him off to college. God forbid he grows up with blinders on and doesn't recognize when someone else is far worse off than he is.

And don't worry, Danielle doesn't seem like the type of young woman who would allow you to take away from her achievements.

October 30, 2009 at 1:32 pm |
  12. Tisaac

I was Danielle's counselor, Ms. Isaac. Believe me when I tell you Danielle deserves every dollar she has earned. I know the scholarship board at BU and the POSSE Foundation have made a wise investment in funding this young woman's education. Her future contributions to those who follow and are influenced by her life story will far outweigh the dollars that are spent on her education. She can truly be considered a long-term investment just a most of her peers in inner city schools. All they need is someone to believe in them, nurture them and give them a soft place to land at times.
    J,Mav-Fl, I wish your son the best and I am sure he too will land where he is supposed to in life because he has someone who cares for him, loves him unconditionally and supports him, just as Danielle does now.
    Thank you to all who have offered her encouraging words and positive thoughts!

January 9, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  13. Gabriela

Marline Adede Emmanuel Posted on Dear Sir,I am a seventeen year old girl cnrleutry studying my first year undergraduate degree in Sudan Academic University. However, I would like to take this opportunity to apply for this scholarship so that I will be able to complete my studies successfully. Given the current political situation in the country.ThanksAdede

November 1, 2012 at 2:29 am |
  14. R. Joshua Reynolds

Have you all talked about doing a "where are they now?" segment featuring Ms. Galloway? I know I'm not alone in thinking her story should be continued to be shared.

September 19, 2018 at 5:45 pm |