Today on CNN Newsroom

May 29th, 2009

Quitting Time?

WHO smoking

Maybe you just weren't "there" yet last November, when the 33rd Great American Smokeout rolled around. But if you've been meaning to kick the habit - why not give it a go on Sunday - the W.H.O.'s World No-Tobacco Day.

This year's focus is tobacco health warnings, with a push to get more countries to mandate graphic photos on cigarette packs. The pic above is one of the milder examples. (If you've got a strong stomach, you can see some others here.)

Good "quitting" tips, or a personal story to share? We'd love your comments.

Filed under: Kyra Phillips
  1. RJ

Looks like more fear tactics! I`m 39 and smoked since I was 15 and my mouth never looked anything like that picture and as a matter of fact no person I have ever known had a mouth that looked like that! That picture is of a scumbag junkie on crank who never brushes his or her teeth! I quit smoking back in March not because of health reasons but because I was tired of paying $7.00 per pack to give to some welfare program, while the recipiant gets to smoke on my dollar! Sick of it!

May 29, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  2. Geoffrey Bennun

I dont understand one thing. CNN produces new shows daily but you insist on showing the same repetitive " commercials" for your shows, month after month.

I watch CNN a lot daily and now when I hear Christiana Amanpour promoting one of the shows I actually press the mute button.

It is a poor reflection on your creative ability and your station that you produce only one " commercial " for a program.

And in addition, I am sure the repetitiveness drives a high percentage of your viewers to despair.

Thanks and regards

Geoffrey Bennun

May 29, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  3. Oselito

Bill, a very big Protest to toronto yesterday, for the first time of trip, in the would, I'm sorry for you Bill,Protest for who,ok, it's for another man. I'm forget his name.

May 30, 2009 at 8:22 am |
  4. Ronald

Ted Rowlands, thanks for your information with the autoworkers at L.A. Who fight to survive, because the GM,it's theirs families. the republican,don't understand the workers men and women who lost theirs job theirs home, the child who going to school.he talk the heros,but the P.T.S.D,and the T.A.P.S.Are need the help.The senator sit down comfortably on theirs chair, to senate.

May 30, 2009 at 9:05 am |
  5. Charlie Erickson

I had been wanting to quit smoking for years, so on the Memorial Day weekend, ten years ago, I did. On Friday of the holiday weekend, I felt like I was coming down with a cold, and I had a sore throat. Well, before I went to sleep, I smoked what was to be my last cigarette. The next morning, I automatically went for my wake up smoke, and I lit up. Before I took my first puff, I put it out. I decided that was it; no more. I never looked back. I never had any withdrawal symptoms, as has been claimed.

To every smoker out there........it can be done.

Charlie.

May 30, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  6. ft

i don't think my story ideas are so hot for this week, or any other week for that matter. i like the stories YOU are presently choosing. The smoking one ( here ) is a good one, in my view, because it makes the relevant viewer open his eyes to reality with respect to addictive habits of all kinds and the need some, though not all, have to rely on a Higher Power. Whereas Charlie's story ( above ) is quite inspirational, I guess it is also somewhat rare. It really is up to that person, ultimately, to help himself, though of course support is always a big plus. In terms of further story ideas, I have always believed and still do believe you are doing an amazing job, sometimes, as I read, under the harshest of conditions. Thank you ALL for ALL of Newsroom from a friend of the same. I'll keep watching...

June 1, 2009 at 3:52 pm |