Today on CNN Newsroom

May 30th, 2009

Learning to a New Beat, Hip Hop tunes help special needs child

A new DVD music video series using hip hop to teach toddlers and pre-schoolers to read is raising some eyebrows.

It's getting great reviews from parents and some psychiatrists. But what's really compelling about this educational series is how it got started.

CNN's Fredricka Whitfield explains.

Saturday Fredricka interviewed It's Hip Hop Baby creator, Candi Carter and Dr. Lisa Thorton.

Filed under: Anchors • Fredricka Whitfield
  1. G. Baum

The wheels came off in the 70s when the price you paid for a new car went into estamated time of brakdown, insted of a good quality dependable sorce of transpertation. I think its called GREED!!!.

May 30, 2009 at 1:38 pm |
  2. Priti Roy

Whats new about this concept?????? any one who has children or is involved with children knows this to be true....dancing to music???? hey we've done that all along....remember Sesame street???? all those 100's of children's dance and music videos?????? I wonder why this made the news in the first place....its been a well researched fact that music is great for our body and soul....and helps children with rhythemicity for God knows how long.....

May 30, 2009 at 2:54 pm |
  3. kbw

Fred - this was a GREAT story. I have a son who suffers from autism and when he was younger - I did the same thing. In order to make sure he could remember things - I would make it into a song. He is older now (13) & has been on the Prinicpal's List with a (3.7 GPA) this school year. I am very PROUD of him.

May 30, 2009 at 3:43 pm |
  4. Scott Stodden

I saw this reported the other day on CNN and I thought this was an amazing way to make children learn, through the power of Hip-Hop. Im a white person who fell in love with Hip-Hop way back in the 90's, anything Hip-Hop or R&B was what I listened to and still do at the age of 32. If Hip-Hop can help and teach children to learn is amazing. Shout out to the world of Hip-Hop and the amazing its helping children to learn, we all love to learn in fun way so all you children out there have fun learning because these people are amazing, parents go out there and get this for the children its so worth it.

Scott Stodden (Freeport, IL)

May 30, 2009 at 6:05 pm |
  5. Naughty by Nature

This is Vinnie from Naughty by Nature. Big shout out to CNN for playing Hip Hop Hooray for the news piece! I saw everyone rockin' in the studio with their hands in the air!!

May 31, 2009 at 6:55 am |
  6. wasson

Wow that sounds amazing. I am going to try it with my 5 year old. He has 16p deletion syndrome and a profound speech delay. We try everything and I never thought of music. He loves music and I bet the videos would be great for him. We are always looking for new ways to teach him. Thanks for coming up with such a great idea.

May 31, 2009 at 9:49 pm |
  7. Avery Rogers

Please forward my information to Candi Carter, we really like what she is doing for special needs kids. She would be an asset to our website.

http://www.babypaparazzi.com "WHERE EVERY BABY IS A STAR"

Avery Rogers
    407-436-5345

May 31, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  8. Streets Wanna Know

Hey,

I was just surfing the web and I came across this page. I really liked the info, keep up the good work.

Peace

September 9, 2009 at 8:22 pm |
  9. Mccafferty

Are there any words of wisdom youíd like to pass along to me?

April 2, 2010 at 7:30 pm |
  10. Hamill

How did you meet your husband/wife?

April 3, 2010 at 7:38 pm |