Today on CNN Newsroom

June 2nd, 2009

@KyraCNN Tweet of the Day

mtnwalker @KyraCNN Thx for defending the Marine... those of us Viet Nam Marines have spent a lifetime being shamed for doing our duty.

Filed under: Kyra Phillips • Tweet of the Day
  1. Robert

CNN needs to put this HOA president on camera. I want to see a picture and know this person's backround so I can understand their motivation.

HOA's need to realize they are employees of the community not the gestapo of them. Tell that fool to come tow my car for ANY reason, I got a little somethin' for 'em.

June 2, 2009 at 5:30 pm |
  2. Charlie Erickson

I once applied for a job which I knew that I was more than qualified for, but I didn't get it, simply because I was a Viet Nam Veteran. That was in 1971.

The interview went well, and the guy said there were others to interview, and that he'll get back to me. Well I shook his hand and left. No sooner than getting out of the door, did I realize that I left my magazine in that office. I went back in and waited outside his office, 'cause he was with someone. I overheard the other guy ask him what he thought of my interview. Well, he said a few nasty things, to include: "We don't hire crazy people". I couldn't understand why he was putting me down. I left the magazine there, and left very depressed. It was a few decades before I put my military service on any sort of application. I actually felt ashamed for being a Viet Nam Vet. I no longer feel that way, although there are some out there, who will still try to put us down.

Thanks Kyra. I wish I could have seen the piece being mentioned. I somehow missed it.

Charlie.

June 2, 2009 at 6:56 pm |
  3. Doug Weinert

The bad GP drywall... Georgia Pacific buys waste fly ash from coal fired power plants as a filler. New mercury\sulfur dioxide scrubbers recently installed at the coal fired power houses have added have added large ammounts of those chemicals to the GP product. Those people affected by the high levels of SO2 should also watch out for the mercury encapsulated within. Shaw Engineering claimed this was a safe process per GP. GP claimed that the mecury was properly encapsulated and the SO2 was neutralized.
    Another big warning here- Local municipalities should also beware as they spread this waste fly ash on the roads and are unaware that the toxicity levels have risen dramatically. This also is directed at any landfills that were accepting fly ash.
    I confronted a large energy company with the above facts and was subsequently fired a short time later for bringing attention to them. At the time of my termination, there were no plans to notify anyone that was receiving the waste fly ash that the toxicity levely were soon to dramatically increase.
    -doug-

June 3, 2009 at 7:21 am |
  4. judy pilliod

Kyra Phillips, I thought was supposed to report the news and not incite people to take the law into their own hands. I thought CNN was more professional "beat the crap out of him" , "piece of trash" were not the comments we need to hear after a horrible incident regarding a 11 year old girl. We need the law to take care of this not vigilantes.

June 5, 2009 at 2:28 pm |
  5. Linda Farrington

I am rather shocked that the neighborhood vigilante's, who beat up the suspect that may have brutally raped an 11 year old girl, were almost idolized on Kyra's show this morning. Believe me, if the suspect did that, I think he should be slowly tortured. But I find it baffling to hear the news shows, as a whole, cry "torture" over mental angst (ie water-boarding), inflicted on known terrorist who actually rape, physically inflict unbelievable pain and permanent damage that we can only imagine! Yet Kyra seemed to congratulate the men involved in this beating and sympathize with the girl's father who praised the beating as "the highest form of justice"! Number one, he was a suspect and this is America. Number two, interesting how views change on acceptable behavior when the damage is close to home!

June 5, 2009 at 2:38 pm |
  6. Lloyd Wilson

Kyra, I am writing to you as I watch CNN all day and find you to be the most direct anchor. Could you please do a piece on the fact that Governor Arnold Schwartenegger is about to REDUCE THE FUNDS TO THE AIDS DRUG ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (ADAP) here is California. Please do a report on this. This program pays for HIV/AIDS drugs for those who are of low or moderate income. If he does this, the state will remove most non HIV/AIDS related drugs. What that means is that all of the drugs that directly combat the virus will remain on the fomulary list and those that combat side effects and other diseases caused by the HIV/AIDS medications will be removed. I have had this disease for over 20 years along with my husband (yes, we are one of the 18K couples).

People like us will have to find the money for these other drugs elsewhere like from our food budget. What choice do we have? My spouse works and I am on SSDI with AIDS. We pay for our own health insurance, but the ADAP program pays for almost all of our co-payments for our medications. This frees up money for food and other necessities.

All we ask is that this program continues in its current form. What is the result if it doesn't? Full emeregency rooms of AIDS patients with high blood sugar, low blood sugar, chronic diarrhea, constipation, high blood pressure, stroke, heart attack, chronic back pain, etc. The point is that all of the AIDS medications cause some sort of side effect and or other condition with which we must live with in order to literally contiinue living.

Please help us all by doing a story on this I am NOT too proud to beg, as becoming disabled after a thirty year career tends to humble one's self. PLEASE HELP US AND DO A STORY.

Sincerely,