Today on CNN Newsroom

June 26th, 2009

AJC's Mike Luckovich, On His Michael Jackson Cartoon

It's an attention-getter, that's for sure. This editorial cartoon in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution tackles Michael Jackson's troubles head-on. Cartoonist Mike Luckovich joined us in our 1pET hour Friday, to talk about it.

Mike Luckovich/AJC.com
Mike Luckovich/AJC.com

1. phineas

I wish everyone would stop showing all the videso of MJ holding his p***s and thrusting back and forth. Disgusting and horrible example.

But the media seems to LOVE to set the bad example.

If you're gonna glorify this person, why not show something positive about him (I'm sure he did something good during his life) instead of repeatedly showing him with masturbatory movements.

June 26, 2009 at 12:19 pm |
  2. James Claiborne

I find this cartoon offensive and hateful. Michael Jackson was a musical genius, philanthropist and set an example on how to use your celebrity to make the world better. Its by grace any of us gain any success or make it to what you believe heaven to be. Michael had many issues I am sure but no more than every one of use deal with unfortunately he didn't have obscurity to hide behind and the world saw and interpretted his life as they saw fit.

Again, this cartoon is awful and does no justice to a life that should be celebrated.

June 26, 2009 at 12:22 pm |
  3. Antionious Brown

There is no question that Michael Jackson was a unique individual musically and personally..There is a large void between Fantasy and Truth Only God knows the Heart and Turmoil that existed Within this Musical Icons sense of humanity There is great pause we must take here ..Just remember the Impact and JOY he gave to us all
    GOD bless Michael Jackson

June 26, 2009 at 12:24 pm |
  4. Victor

".....and on that note, what are we going to do with your Angel?"

June 26, 2009 at 12:28 pm |
  5. Theresa Little

Mr. Michael Jackson is human just like the rest... well most of us! Mr. Luckovich is a disrepectful, jealous hater. He should be careful what he writes or draws about others because he is not the only artist in the world, and one day when he dies, someone will most assuredly draw a cartoon about his life. I wonder if it will be as subjective as this one or will it be more true to his life, (Be careful Mr. Lucovich, remember the Golden Rule, treat others as you would wish them to treat you). I have never believed the press about Mr. Jackson's involvement with those children (not the negative press), I believe that he was a very lonely and sad person, very talented and very blessed and I for one will miss him greatly. My heart goes out to his family. Losing a loved one whether you know them personally or not leaves a void in your life and in your heart. May God in his great love and wisdom grant Mr. Michael Jackson a place in His palace.

I'll never forget him and the joy he brought to my life. I love his music and his performances. A Great Artist Indeed.

Theresa Little

June 26, 2009 at 12:30 pm |
  6. Victor

".....how bout we trade for Farrah?

June 26, 2009 at 12:31 pm |
  7. Cthompson

Michael will be missed terribly, he created music, not just noise with no message. He gave and gave until the well was dry and yet everyone wanted more. There was no one there to refill the well, and it ran on empty for far to long. He is in a much better place now. To bad there will be nothing but money grubbing people still taking and taking and taking trying to cash in on the legend. May God take him and cradle him in his arms and give him the peace he could not find on this earth.

June 26, 2009 at 12:32 pm |
  8. Victor

"......nah, keep em!"

June 26, 2009 at 12:33 pm |
  9. Chester P

No need to flip a coin on this one. Let's face it. Heaven won't let you in just because you had a hit record and it sure won't let you in if you idolized yourself more than anything else. This guy is no saint...

June 26, 2009 at 12:35 pm |
  10. Chester P

Hey Phineas, MJ was nothing but Bad Examples... They didn't have much of a choice.

June 26, 2009 at 12:36 pm |
  11. Sue Collins

I am sorry to hear about Michael Jackson's passing. He was a great music entertainer. I know now that listening to others that it would be hard to picture Michael growing older and still entertaining the world. There has been alot of sad events in his life that he experienced. When I was in high school, I would listen to his music and sing right along with his "ABC, 123" song. I did purchase a 45 of his song with the Apple producer's. I am going to try and find it. I am sure it is worth or will be worth a lot of money someday. I am sure we all will keep wondering why this happened, but, I pray that he has gotten a second chance with possibly going to heaven. I really couldn't picture him growing older. He will be missed.

June 26, 2009 at 12:36 pm |
  12. Victor

Dear Mike Lukovich,

You do realize many african americans believe in heavan and hell....

And you do know that Michael Jackson was the first rich african american kid,...right?

And you, do, know they loved that guy right.....ok, cool...cause thats a great toon dude.

June 26, 2009 at 12:38 pm |
  13. RJ

People in this country have a real serious problem when so many people are praising MJ as if he were some kind of God or something! No amount of accomplishments can override him being a pedifile! I guess in order for some of these so called fans to get the hint they need a member of their family to be abused by an adult or something! All these people worshipping him ought to be ashamed of themselves for idoling a common pedifile!

June 26, 2009 at 12:38 pm |
  14. Rhondam Williams

Horrible!!!

June 26, 2009 at 12:40 pm |
  15. RJ

All these people praising a pedifile makes me puke! I guess they dont care if it happens to their kids! No amount of accomplishments can make good what he has done to little boys!

June 26, 2009 at 12:40 pm |
  16. Therese

Lighten up folks. (No pun intended) This cartoon is not going to save or doom Michael Jackson. Only God knows his heart. His destiny was written long ago. Let's make sure that we have no doubts of where we will be when we have our appointment with God.

June 26, 2009 at 12:41 pm |
  17. Ursula

No matter what you think of Michael, that is just in bad taste, PERIOD.
    A PERSON died for gods sake.......

June 26, 2009 at 12:44 pm |
  18. RJ

Now Farrah there was a real class act, may she rest in peace! MJ deserves no peace!

June 26, 2009 at 12:44 pm |
  19. judy Azevedo

The cartoon is so wrong let him rest in piece.

June 26, 2009 at 12:46 pm |
  20. patricia kennedy

I THINK THE CARTOON,IS HATEFUL.THE PROBLEMS MICHAEL HAD,SHOULD BE BETWEEN HIM AND GOD.JUST LIKE THE PROBLEMS WE ALL HAVE,SHOULD BE BETWEEN THE PERSON,AND GOD.I AM JUST SORRY,THAT HIS FAMILY,MAY SEE THE CARTOON.I AM VERY SAD,THAT MICHAEL IS GONE.I HAVE BEEN A FAN ALL MY LIFE.MY HEART GOES OUT TO HIS FAMILY,AND MY PRAYERS,ARE WITH HIS FAMILY.PATRICIA KENNEDY

June 26, 2009 at 12:48 pm |
  21. Victor

Dear Mike Lukovich,

I gotta bat that says "Louisville Slugger" on it......i bet yours says "PERCPECTIVE".

Thanks for keeping the balance Sir!

June 26, 2009 at 12:49 pm |
  22. RJ

MJ decided on bad taste, and if you say everythings ok just because its Michael Jackson than Ursula you must condone pedifiles!

June 26, 2009 at 12:50 pm |
  23. RJ

Nothing in this world worse than a pedifile period! There is no excuse! Some might say well killing a person is worse, no I dont see it that way in some cases some people are better off dead, but no child deserves to be molested by an adult period!

June 26, 2009 at 12:52 pm |
  24. Victor

Dear Mike,

I had something familiar in mind......lol. Check out my Twitter account for some fun ones. : )

BOOK IDEA

God vs Devil

“…you know I once taught this kid to fish.” “ “Well I taught this one kid how to steal.”

“ You think Mother Nature will change sides?” “Hang on let me ask…”

“You can only play as far as I can see you.” “Well then I want your eyesight... BTW isn’t that how you went blind the first time?”

“You will strike at my heel but you will miss and you will try and…” “Well then looks like ill be aiming for heart.”

“Did I ever tell you I made death pay a round for reminding him that bone marrow…. ”

June 26, 2009 at 12:54 pm |
  25. RJ

Had I or some other nobody had done what MJ has done you all would be right there ready to hang or lynch me, MJ should be no different and if it werent for all the money he had he would have been convicted and put away for a long time, you know it and I know it!

June 26, 2009 at 12:56 pm |
  26. Victor

I shed crocodile tears for MJ

RIP Michael

June 26, 2009 at 12:57 pm |
  27. Antionious Brown

RJ...needs to learn to spell Pedophile....not pedifile..or rj wont go to Heaven like MJ...lol

June 26, 2009 at 12:58 pm |
  28. Todd

I'm wondering if another way to look at this cartoon is that MJ was already slated for heaven and Satan's a big MJ fan just trying to make a deal with God to keep him for himself.

June 26, 2009 at 12:59 pm |
  29. Victor

My Eight year old just said...."He was BLACK!"

priceless thanks MJ....like i got all afternoon

June 26, 2009 at 1:00 pm |
  30. Sarah Nicol

We live in an era where music surpasses boundaries of time. Radios play "oldies," on-line videos offer live performances, and iPods allow for endless downloading . . . of all eras. We cannot escape Michael's fame. Even children of the millenial generation have perpetual access to his music; they have a newfound familiarity. For most of us,
    we "hear" and "see" before we "read." We heard his alluring voice and saw his feet glide before comprehending his eccentricites. He is foremost an unsurpassable genius.

June 26, 2009 at 1:02 pm |
  31. c

In entertainment "personal physician" means "personal drug dealer" he was hooked for 20 years and the vulchers around him did nothing about it.

June 26, 2009 at 1:03 pm |
  32. Annette

This cartoon is not only disrespectful of a visionary musical genius, who spanned generations of avid fans,but offensive to anyone with even an ounce of human compassion. The so-called artist should be ashamed, and he should pray that he is never subjected to the type of scrutiny that shaped Michael's entire life. Michael Jackson 's music speaks for itself, if you would just take a few moments to listen. ~devoted fan forever

June 26, 2009 at 1:06 pm |
  33. RJ

Whatever Brownie, might not be the best speller but that aint gonna keep me out of heaven!

June 26, 2009 at 1:06 pm |
  34. Gloria Sandle

Although, I am 5 years older that Michael, When he came along, He brought happiness to our entire neighborhood, and something for everyone to talk about. He will be missed by thousands, I sum Michael Jackson up by saying God has called his singing angel back to heaven...

June 26, 2009 at 1:08 pm |
  35. anna

See this what I have talking about. You still won't leave Micahel alone. he is dead and your making jokes cartoon about him. Who ever drew it now they must worried if they will go to heaven or hell. For what comes out of the mouth comes upon you. June 26, 2009.

June 26, 2009 at 1:09 pm |
  36. Patrick Sullivan

I think the cartoon is absolutely despicable. Jackson lived his whole life under scandals and controversy. Now that he is dead, the media still feels a need to bring up his past controversies (he was aquitted, by the way) and not just celebrate his life as one of the world's most influential singers and entertainers of all time. The cartoon is in extremely bad taste, and just goes to show that celebrities will always be ridiculed, even in death.

June 26, 2009 at 1:11 pm |
  37. Skip Soden

Seems to me that while we have 150,000+ troops in harms way in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Korea, a ship carrying weapons to Myanmar, a revolution under way in Iran, a global (not to mention domestic) economic crisis, there should be a lot more NEWS on CNN than 20 year old Michael Jackson videos.

June 26, 2009 at 1:11 pm |
  38. RJ

I guess for all of these so called fans praising him either condone his actions as a pedophile or believe since their kid wasnt molested by MJ well thats makes everything ok as long as it was somebody elses kid!

June 26, 2009 at 1:13 pm |
  39. nadine

the bible said we are not to judge and while you judging Michael
    you need ask God to forgive you for the Stuff you have going on
    in your life that's not pleasing to him.

you didn't have to buy his music or listen to it so let the people that
    want to cry or want to sing his songs or even look at him on TV do
    just that.

June 26, 2009 at 1:20 pm |
  40. Pier

Michael has worked successfully for peace , love and justice.Nobody can denie : his talent , his creativity and his genius.He broke so many records and let the money flow in the pocket of so many people.He let the fields and the doors wide open for so many : white , black ,yellow, red. Because of so much success , his detractors want to lynch him even after his death. However billion of people still love him for ever ,because : one way or another, MJ bring them some smiles and some joy. God bless america and MJ still live on, by his faboulus music.

June 26, 2009 at 1:23 pm |
  41. Antionious Brown

I 'm certain not anyone has a scheduled reservation in heaven RJ..don't be too sure of yourself..most of all God is the ultimate Judge..
    With the true facts.... not unproven accusations spelled from the mind of the illiterately dysfunctional

June 26, 2009 at 1:24 pm |
  42. Victor

Dear Mike Lukovich,

Can you please make one more with a funny looking doctor with his shoulders up saying.....

".....what!....i thought he was crying wolf again?"

Your the best !

June 26, 2009 at 1:30 pm |
  43. Just a comment

Hi, this is for Betty.
    Betty the guy you spoke to some minutes ago regarding the doctor that treated Michael Jackson and that has dissapeared.....what was or is going throguh his mind?
    He said you are not going to disclose the name of the doctor, that police is looking for him, that his card was left where he treated Michael....o.k. Let's do not get any conclusions even that is very weird and make you be suspicious.

But the guy you talked to, he said "well, he maybe panic like everybody else" So what, everybody that gets nervous for something that happens can dissapear...anyways you panic? He is a doctor, he should be there to say what happened...if he panic is probably because he did something wrong and he knows it. And even if he did not, he has to be there and face his responsibility. The guy you talked to seems to agree and justify people that do something and panic and disappear. A DOCTOR is not supposed to do that...and nobody is supposed to do that...if you hit somebody with your car, well you panic and run away, it,s o.k. everybody else does that...... I think they should be careful with those types of comments.

June 26, 2009 at 1:33 pm |
  44. Adebanjo

I still cant believe MJ is dead. Just like a lot of people around world, i cant remember how little i was when MJ have been rocking my world. I keep wondering how one man can be so gifted.. when i was in college in Nigeria, i remembered taking my friends out for lunch when he won child molestation case.. Its so sad to know somebody like MJ is lonely, and most people around him are just trying to use him to get what they want its so sad.. This a remembrance that all that glitters is not gold. I love MJ and he will forever be in my heart.. I will keep everything of him i have so that my children, and grand children will know him,and be inspired by him.

June 26, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  45. CSM

Excellent cartoon. Of course, with the blather going on about Jackson it might not be appreciated for a while.

June 26, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  46. noneedto know

None of us are qualified to judge anyone! Grow up people.

June 26, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  47. Alba

How dare you Mr. Lockovich (cartoonist), the body is at the morge....
    MJ's mom is morning and his family. This is discusting, this man is not even buried yet, but here we go...Typical

ASK MJ'S FAMILY what they think of your CARTOON!!!!!!

The country loves MJ and here you are thinking your funny. If you think michael was wacko like some called him...check yourself...

Now here we go with the drug speculations...Alba (Boston)

June 26, 2009 at 1:46 pm |
  48. virginia phillips

if he did abuse children why is it your bussiness your not GOD so as his song in life leave me alone let's leave him alone in his death.if you have no sins then put him down if you do have sins keep your mouth shut and worry about your way into the kingdom of GOD.AND MAY MAY MICHAEL JACKSON REST IN PEACE.AND MY GOD BE WITH THE JACKSON FAMILY

June 26, 2009 at 1:47 pm |
  49. ruggbutt

Michael Jackson = Pedobear

His music was great, I loved it. But any positive accomplishments he made are overshadowed by his proclivity for touching youngsters. Those of you who can't see that need a reality check.

June 26, 2009 at 1:48 pm |
  50. robert

You have to be kidding. Is there such a lack of news worthy stories that you're asking for comments on a cartoon?

June 26, 2009 at 1:48 pm |
  51. Amit Seth

I can't believe the indecency of the cartoon artist. That is wrong! And people like the cartoon artist might be one of the reasons why his heart could't take the stress...shame on the cartoon artist wanna be!!!

June 26, 2009 at 1:49 pm |
  52. Ashley Tomlin

I used to believe in Michael Jackson's guilt in the child molestation allegations, but as I learn more about not only his historic musical influence, but his life and family history, I believe his absence of a childhood left him confused. I think this cartoon may express how people can not decide what side to take, but I believe he should be viewed as an icon who lost his oppotunity at experiencing his childhood.

June 26, 2009 at 1:49 pm |
  53. josh pincus is crying

This is great. I wish I would have thought of this first. We are all qualified to judge everyone and we do it everyday.

June 26, 2009 at 1:51 pm |
  54. Alan Hightman

As a jazz & blues guitarist of 40 years, I would like to express my sorrow for on the passing of Michael Jackson. He was truly a genius in the true sense of the word. In stark contrast to some of the pop artists today he represents a time when musicianship and talent was paramount. Maybe Michael's departure will inspire younger musicians to become more to become proficient and listeners to listen with a great attention span than is currently in vogue. His iconic music and persona was woven through the fabric of our society and thus the world. We will all miss him greatly.

June 26, 2009 at 1:51 pm |
  55. yruneh

I have no problem with people criticizing Michael Jackson after his death. When there's reason to believe that a deceased person caused terrible harm to others, a good discussion should allow for criticism. It's not as if the cartoonist is mocking a dead person merely for being vacuous, boring, or annoying. That would be crass. He's criticizing Jackson for alleged terribly inhumane crimes.

June 26, 2009 at 1:52 pm |
  56. Ronal

I think its very disgusting and the person who made this cartoon should apologize to is family. Michael Jackson was a great man and we never be forgotten.

June 26, 2009 at 1:52 pm |
  57. Jason

Jackson was a pedophile, not a hero. Good riddance.

June 26, 2009 at 1:54 pm |
  58. Lois

Luckovich's cartoon points up how the death of a celebrity brings out the worst in us. On all Cable News channels you can see "experts" on Michael (who did not know him personally) expound on his personal life, including his drugs, his trial, his habits, etc. Especially annoying are the men and women who appear as guests of anchors who can be so definite about what he did or didn't do. The cartoon itself is a good example of how we should suspend judgement when we do not have conclusive proof of guilt. Out of decency, the speculation should STOP and only facts presented.

June 26, 2009 at 1:54 pm |
  59. Deadguy

Well not a big suprise, guess the cartoon reflects reality.
    Jackson was a great talent, a super preformer, but he was used and manipulated. Too bad his handlers allowed him to be so insecure with his appearance and freely let him have drugs.
    Just like a puppy mill they breed em till they die and then whine about the cash flow ending.

Frankly the pervert belongs in hell.

June 26, 2009 at 1:55 pm |
  60. tina

RJ –

Please keep your low-class comments to yourself.

June 26, 2009 at 1:55 pm |
  61. Amit Seth

What kind of publicity stunt are you trying to pull Mike? You coulds showed him moon walking to heaven like you just said on cnn instead of what you presented in your drawing. I am not a relative, My name Amit Seth, Montreal, Quebec

June 26, 2009 at 1:58 pm |
  62. Don

I would have liked to have seen the 3rd (and real) option – that he will go to neither place – there is no afterlife afterall.

June 26, 2009 at 1:59 pm |
  63. Amit Seth

Mike it seems your entire carreer was built on mocking the King of Pop

June 26, 2009 at 1:59 pm |
  64. Jess

This is absolutely disgusting. "As a cartoonist, i have a responsibilty to..."

*shuts off TV*

I love you Michael. Rest in peace.

June 26, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  65. tatiana

This is outrageous, just the fact that you guys would even post this tasteless cartoon. Michael Jackson was a great man, a humanitarian, and a great artist. how he lived his personal live is none of your business! we should just appreciate him as an artist and as an inspiration to many artist to come. SHAME ON YOU FOR COMING ON TV WITH THIS STUPID CARTOON! HOW DARE YOU. YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO JUDGE ANYONE.

June 26, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  66. isha

The cartoonist didn't want to "sugar-coat" Micheal? This is just mean! Who are we to decide what happens after death? All the cartoons were drawn in very poor taste! I wonder what he won the award for though?

June 26, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  67. Vicky from Georgia

I encourage the newcasters of CNN to respect Micheal's privacy and legacy. I ask the questions why are you concerned about his will, children and finances. This information will be handled by the family.

I am not his family member. I am a member of society.

June 26, 2009 at 2:01 pm |
  68. Belinda Joyce Robertson

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion however I am here to reassure you that Michael has been recieved into heaven. Like my father in heaven I also believe in mercy and forgiveness.

Sincerely Belinda

June 26, 2009 at 2:01 pm |
  69. tina

Cartoon – dispicable! Luckovich lacks respect for the dead and personal moral fiber. The cartoon says more about the cartoonist than about Michael Jackson. Someone forgot to teach you the meaning of respect. May God (if one exists) forgive your lack of compassion at this very trying time for those closest to the deceased..

June 26, 2009 at 2:03 pm |
  70. Karyn

MJ was a great musician – but he was also a possible/probable pedophile and one weird person. His life and career was a circus with more than three rings. The world economic climate is in still flux, Iran is in crisis, Health Care is a vital issue of interest, and the world is still making news. Get off this MJ stuff and report REAL news. I could not possibly care less about his life OR his death.

June 26, 2009 at 2:03 pm |
  71. Renny

Even in Death we will not let him rest.........SAD.

June 26, 2009 at 2:04 pm |
  72. tatiana

ONE MORE THING HOW DARE YOU! WHO THE HECK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE! MAYBE THEY ARE FLIPPING A COIN ABOUT WHERE YOU'RE GOING WHEN YOU DIE WITH YOUR TASTELESS CARTOON! GET OFF THE AIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 26, 2009 at 2:05 pm |
  73. Carla

Michael Jackson holds the Guiness Book of World Records for being the most charitable pop star and having been one of the biggest humanitarians in the world. That he would even begin to be considered entrance into hell is a complete joke. Michael has a nice comfy spot in heaven, finally resting in peace.

June 26, 2009 at 2:05 pm |
  74. Steve

I understand that the artist behind this cartoon wanted to create a piece which wouldn't simply glorify Jackson's life, because of his many eccentricities and controversies. So, they created a piece that doesn't necessarily glorify or condemn him. So, in the sense that it's a somewhat neutral piece makes it somewhat tolerable. However, I would prefer if religious notions were left out altogether, when it comes to this man. The artist said he usually shows celebrities passing through the pearly gates, and that Jackson didn't really fit in that type of cartoon. So, why not create a cartoon that doesn't involve heaven or hell? The man was horribly condemned by the media and various groups while he was alive; speaking about the questionable nature of his entering heaven or hell is simply not preferable, even if the artist had reasonable reasons for doing so. When you die, you don't want someone seemingly judging you, from a religious standpoint. And I think that's what the cartoon ultimately does, even if it wasn't intended as such. A judeo-christian judgment is at the base of this cartoon, and I find that troubling. Michael Jackson was bigger than any religion, or any notion of heaven or hell. He was a superstar who bridged gaps, and he was a human being with flaws like everyone else. Leave religion at the door, please. Peace.

June 26, 2009 at 2:06 pm |
  75. Dawn-Atlanta

Don't be surprised by this one,

The job of Cartoonist, Mike Luckovich is to be controversial, just like Rush Limbaugh.

That is how they make a living.

June 26, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  76. Leroy Grissom

This is awful .How can one be so inconsiderate and post this kind of trash a day after hs death.

June 26, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  77. Robbie

Mike Lukevitch or how ever you spell his lame name is a real jerk. Another self seeking lame brain who is thinks what he does has meaning. And...thinks I am going to learn or start thinking from looking at his drawings? NOT. These are just bitter tasteless drawings. Negative.
    The only thought that I have is how inappropriate they are. Mike, show some respect.
    I'll stick to Bugs Bunny.

June 26, 2009 at 2:09 pm |
  78. Paige

I think this is highly inappropriate and disrespectful to not only Michael, but his family as well. This is incredibly rude and tasteless for someone who brought so much joy into people's lives over the world. People do not need to see this right now, it is very upsetting.

June 26, 2009 at 2:10 pm |
  79. mary

flip your own coin and see where the hell u might be going!

June 26, 2009 at 2:11 pm |
  80. Shaun Lewis

I find it offensive to think that being a great musician/performer gives you a 50-50 chance of entering heaven after you've molested little boys...

Also, it blows my mind that Their are countlessly more relevant news topics than this: Civil unrest in Iran, a spike in attacks and innocent deaths in Iraq, multi trillion dollar health care reform, immigration reform, cap and trade, a new Amber Alert, Swine flu, The NBA draft, etc. People need to find meaning in their own lives and stop living vicariously through celebrities. GET A LIFE!

June 26, 2009 at 2:11 pm |
  81. jo

the cartoons that Mike Lukovich does is in really bad taste especially when someone dies its so rude a disrespectful to the family and friends and fans of the person who died.
    this should be a time to remember him for his music and his talent and what he has done for the music industry. there are alot of people in this world who has done things in thier life that cant be expalined wht they did it but to rudely disrespect that person and their family and freinds and fans is so rude i can only hope that the same happens to them and let them feel it in their shoes.

June 26, 2009 at 2:13 pm |
  82. Gloria Pinillos

Dear Betty:

I am a CNN fan, you guys do such a great job. my email is to express my deepest sympathy to MJ's family I 've always been a #1 Fan of MJ. It is sad the way he was accused of child molestation. I truly think those who presented lawsuits against him was because they knew it would be easy money. But please let's just concentrate in mourning him and respecting his family's grief. He will live for ever he will never be forgotten. my 35 yr old son grew up with his music and now even my 13 yr old listens to his music and sees him as a role model.
    his death comes as a SHOCK to the world. Just like when breaking news were giving when Elvis passed away. I remember clearly as if it was today.

May you RIP Dear Michael the angels will be your backup singers now

Respectfully,

Gloria Pinillos
    Miami, Florida

June 26, 2009 at 2:14 pm |
  83. Steve

I am ashamed and applaud that my city (Atlanta, GA) home of a great Civil Rights leader (Martin Luther King) would still have this type of illustration to be distributed when many loving fans are mourning a great person. My friends and I will NEVER do business with the AJC

June 26, 2009 at 2:15 pm |
  84. Dustin

I love this comic strip. I'm a huge fan of Michael Jackson and I think it's quite clever and humourous as well. If you need to have it explained to you by the cartoonist, you don't need to worry about it. Get a grip, people.

June 26, 2009 at 2:16 pm |
  85. Sue Blount

It's amazing how low someone will go to get in his last 15 minutes of fame. That he felt it was his duty not to let Michael Jackson just moon walk into heaven. Who does he think he is? And I am not a relative, except of the human race. Don't think it's funny or something that I couldn't have lived without seeing. Shame on you.

June 26, 2009 at 2:17 pm |
  86. MPinPhilly

Yall are some IGNORANT people....how about eveybody makes mistakes...including your ancestors that have caused sooo much animosity between races...now if you don't have anything nice to say then DON'T say anything....if it had not been for MJ a lot of creativity and artistry would not be here today...he was a pure genius that made some mistakes...no doubt...but the BOTTOM line is there is only one person that has judged him and will deal w/him at this point and its not our business (also a sin) to judge him. so for all the ignorant, racist people out there-you could've known the man we all knew as Michael Jackson because he never saw Black and White he just saw HUMANS....and by the way-he had to have a lot of affect on you because you would not have taken your precious time to post your ignorant comments--Have a Blessed Day Haters!!!!

June 26, 2009 at 2:18 pm |
  87. Onofre

I am deeply sad over Michael Jackson death!! It is a big lost to the whole world. I still con't believe it!! I am listening to his music because it conforts me and make me believe that his not dead. The lirics of his music it's like a peaceful message. It gets into my heart and soul transporting me to a place where I've never been. "I can't stop loving you" Michael. Rest in peace, and God may confort you family and friends all over the world!! Love You!!

June 26, 2009 at 2:19 pm |
  88. Will

The Jackson cartoon is in poor taste, disrespectful, and just plain stupid. It's a weak effort at creating some sort of sardonic or sarcastic commentary on MJ's life, not to mention a weak effort at creating an opportunistic PR moment for Mr. Luckovich. This sort of humor belongs in a junior high school locker room and not the annals of the AJC.

As per Mike's CNN quote, he obviously thinks any criticism of his so-called work must come from one of "MJ's family members." Mr. Luckovich may rationalize his due criticism all he wants; it is exactly this type of childish response and low-brow humor which will forever keep Mr. Luckovich from becoming even an insignificant footnote in history. He should aspire to have touched even 1/10,000th of the lives MJ has.

June 26, 2009 at 2:20 pm |
  89. Christopher Young

Horribly Tacky!

June 26, 2009 at 2:20 pm |
  90. Renny

I would prefer if religious notions were left out altogether, when it comes to this man. STEVE your 100% right. Even in death we are so disrespectful and Cartoonist Mike LUCKOVICH from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution action in response to his death was to put this Crappy drawing out there.........voice your disdain.

Publisher – Doug Franklin, 404-526-5040, dfranklin@ajc.com
    Editor – Julia Wallace, 404-526-7679, jdwallace@ajc.com
    Senior Vice president, Circulation/Production/Technology – Bob Eickhoff, 404-526-5011, beickhoff@ajc.com
    Senior Vice President, Chief Financial Officer – Todd Cregar, 404-526-5125, tcregar@ajc.com
    Senior Vice President, Human Resources – Susan Davidson, 404-526-5377, sdavidson@ajc.com
    Vice President, Sr. Managing Editor – James Mallory, 404-526-5325, jmallory@ajc.com
    Vice President, Internet Operations – Hyde Post, 404-526-5341, hpost@ajc.com
    Vice President, Legal Affairs – Charles Parker, 404-526-5864, cparker@ajc.com
    Interim Vice President, Advertising – Mark Stange, 404-526-5918, mstange@ajc.com
    Vice President, Marketing – Amy Chown, 404-526-7214, achown@ajc.com

June 26, 2009 at 2:22 pm |
  91. Amit Seth

This cartoon shows exactly what is wrong with the world we live in!
    It's not about Black or White & Up or Down. Michael said it best, "There are people dying , if we cared enough about living let's make it a better place for you & for me." People judge each other in such negative ways it can drive a person nuts. Go Obama Go! Yes we can!

June 26, 2009 at 2:25 pm |
  92. vp

LEAVE ME ALONE LEAVE ME ALONE LEAVE ME ALONE LEAVE ME ALONE LEAVE ME ALONE LEANE ME ALONE LEAVE ME ALONE LEAVE MEALONE LEAVE ALONE LEAVE ME ALONE LEAVE ME ALONELEAVE ME ALONE LEAVE ME ALONE LEAVE ME ALONE IN THE NAME JESUS LEAVE ME ALONE

June 26, 2009 at 2:26 pm |
  93. Anisha

Lukovich has a poor concept on this cartoon. Good and evil, black and white situations are themes that are always products of a naive soul.

FYI, MJ was a human not a character from novel.

June 26, 2009 at 2:27 pm |
  94. Adrienne Washington

So many people lead lives with peaks and nadirs, so a coin-toss could easily decide the fate of many–Mike Luckovich (Cartoonist) included.

Michael Jackson was no saint, but he came closer than many people ever will. Some remember him solely for his musical genius, for revolutionizing the music video, for transcending barriers, etc..., but he was also a philanthropist, a humanitarian, and an activist. I feel so sorry for the suffering he endured in life. I watch videos like "Leave me alone", "Black and White", "Scream", "They don't really care about us", and others (that I'm likely overlooking), and I realize that he was considerably troubled by the condition of the world. By civil unrest and racial injustice. By poverty and inequality.

People admit that he accomplished a great deal and that he opened a number of doors for many people, including African Americans, so why do so few acknowledge the strain he must have endured? Why don't people understand the tole such a life would have taken on any person? He lacked a childhood, experienced physical abuse, endured racism (hence the reason he found his physical appearance inadequate and in need of modifications), and the list continues. He's been through so much more than most people. Rather than continually making a mockery out of his experiences, I wish people would simply respect him and allow him to rest in death, since he couldn't in life.

June 26, 2009 at 2:27 pm |
  95. Amit Seth

Every one always has an opinon & that's cool. So if you like this cartoon here's my opinion to you. Try not to be so shallow....

June 26, 2009 at 2:29 pm |

TO THE HATERS U ALL GO TO
    HELL AND LET HIM REST IN HEAVEN
    NOW FLIP A COIN ON THAT ONE,,HATERS
    I LOVE MICHAEL

June 26, 2009 at 2:32 pm |
  97. Pantaphobious

Guess, they both won't have to toss a coin to make that decision...they see what we don't...isn't that what biblical theology says?

June 26, 2009 at 2:42 pm |
  98. fi

You better prey that God has mercy on your soul mr. luckovich.

June 26, 2009 at 2:45 pm |
  99. davin

wow! before this person who drew this or anyone who agrees with this cartoon you better realize that you pointing a finger at someone you have 3 pointing back at you.......and when you die that could be your cartoon or you could just go strait to hell for judging..have a nice day

June 26, 2009 at 2:46 pm |
  100. JO-ANNA BELLAMY

MIKE, HAVE YOU EVER LOST A CHILD TO DEATH? YOUR PERSONAL FEELINGS HAVE NO PLACE IN THE MOURNING OF M.J.'s FAMILY. HAVE YOU EVEN THOUGHT OF THOSE HE LEFT BEHIND. THE CLOSEST YOU WILL EVER GET TO DEATH WITHOUT DYING IS LOOSING A CHILD. YOU NEED TO ASK GOD FOR FORGIVNESS FOR THAT TASTELESS CARTOON AND IN CASE YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH SENSE TO KNOW YOU HURT HIS FAMILY I'LL ASK GOD TO FORGIVE YOU. TO THE JACKSON FAMILY MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU, AND MRS.K.J. ALLOW YOUR SELF TO FEEL AND DO NOT BEAT YOURSELF UP IF YOUR FAITH WAVERS IT'S NATURAL. BUT KNOW THAT JEHOVAH IS A LOVING GOD AND KNOWS YOUR PAIN FOR HE LOST HIS SON AS WELL. I AM 49 AND I ACTUALLY GREW UP WITH THE JACKSON FIVE AND HAD" RIGHT ON' POSTERS TO PROVE IT, YOU ALL ARE LOVED
    JO-ANNA VIRGINIS BEACH

June 26, 2009 at 2:51 pm |
  101. Lorie in Dallas

JUDGE NOT, UNLESS THOU BE JUDGED. ONE SIN IS NO BIGGER THAN ANOTHER. Only God knows the truth. We all have skeletons that we hide from the view of others, but you can't hide from God. Who are we to condemn Michael to Hell? Do we think we're bigger than God? Many people died in jail innocent and many people have died being falsely accused. What I do know is, if God sent everyone to hell that sinned, then NOONE will make it to Heaven. It's a sin to even print this outlandish trash. Will you let him RIP and respect his family. I love you Michael, no matter what anyone says or think. I sure HEAVEN is better than NEVER NEVER LAND...Love you Lorie Wesley...Also condolences to the children. I know how you feel being that I lost my father when he was 42, my sister when she was 12, and grandma 4 months apart in 2000.

June 26, 2009 at 2:52 pm |
  102. Victor

We should all see the photos as god looking down out of curiosity

and

The devil talking to himself......

June 26, 2009 at 2:52 pm |
  103. What is equality

This comic strip is extremely disrespectful, distasteful, judgemental and unfair. Michael Jackson was never found guilty of any of those allegations and the uniqueness of his character was consistent in everything he did and believed. This man was undodubtedly great. The media is partly to blame for his untimely demise having stressed him out and exploited him in an effort to distract people from real issues like North Korea. I think the comic is a pathetic display of a superiority complex. Michael Jackson is an iconic symbol of this age, RIP.

June 26, 2009 at 2:58 pm |
  104. DW

That says it all, doesn't it?

June 26, 2009 at 3:03 pm |
  105. Karen

"Shall we flip a coin?" Call it.

June 26, 2009 at 3:07 pm |
  106. frank

it has nothing to do with civil rights or jackson's former blackness, despite being a good musician he was also a pedophile, being a good musician will not get you into heaven, being a pedophile will most certainly get you into hell

June 26, 2009 at 3:08 pm |
  107. Lorie in Dallas

Respect Michael's family like they respected David Caradines's family by not allowing the nude photos to be published in the U.S.

June 26, 2009 at 3:08 pm |
  108. Chris Richards

That is horrible! i will always remember michael in a good light: like this:

June 26, 2009 at 3:11 pm |
  109. Allan

Haha. C'mon people it's a cartoon get a sense of humor. No one liked him when he was on trial but now suddenly everyone is some life long fan

June 26, 2009 at 3:12 pm |
  110. frank

furthermore, i think its really sad that the death of farrah, someone who did a lot for others with her life, will be overshadow by the death of a crazy, child-molesting shut-in, who spent his time locked away in his palace, having tickle parties with his grove of boys he acquired from disadvantaged parents by promising a better life for their kids

June 26, 2009 at 3:15 pm |
  111. compassionate human

Pitiful CHESTER P:

Regarding your apathetic, misinformed comment, saying: "Hey Phineas, MJ was nothing but Bad Examples… They didn’t have much of a choice"–

I wanted to remind you of a plethora of uplifting and encouraging footage that features Michael Jackson, including USA for Africa's 'We are the world', 'Man in the Mirror', and 'Heal the world'. "Nothing but Bad Examples", you say? Clearly you're speaking for yourself and about your lack of positive examples, which would certainly explain how you came to be such a heartless, cold, and discourteous person. The same applies for VICTOR, RJ, RUGGBUTT, JOSH PINCUS IS CRYING, DEADGUY, KARYN, and SHAUN LEWIS.

Since no one's perfect, we could all be susceptible to ridicule and judgment, but any respectable person–who lacks concrete, incriminating evidence against a deceased, accused person–should allow him or her to rest in peace. Only Michael Jackson and the plaintiffs know the truth, so you're in no position to call Michael a pedophile or to assess how (im)perfect he was.

And SKIP SODEN, has Michael not earned the memorials, coverage, and airtime he's now receiving?

Despite your failings and those of your relatives, I hope none of you simpletons have to worry about being defamed or having your loved ones defamed when you/they die.

June 26, 2009 at 3:26 pm |
  112. DW

I think the whole thing is a circus. People need to get real. I actually heard someone say on the news that with out MJ there would have been no Obama. What!!!????

June 26, 2009 at 3:29 pm |
  113. Steven Bowers

I wonder with as wierd as he was if he had any weird final request in his will if he has one.

June 26, 2009 at 3:33 pm |
  114. jemmelia morgan

shame on you for your tasteless 'tribute" to a man now passed. A MAN HAS DIED! Yes, we are entitled to our own opinion, however, the way we express our thoughts, is a true testiment to our character, and in my opinion, this cartoon does not paint the greatest picture of the character of the author. ABSOLUTELY DIGUSTING AND INSENSITIVE. Last time I remembered, we all make mistakes.... If you have not sinned, cast the first stone, but until then leave your judgement calls of a man who has passed away TO YOURELF, PLEASE AND THANK YOU...

Yesterday a legend was taken away. He was OFF THE WALL with his dancemoves that made our hips sway. A THRILLER performer that had made us JAM and ROCK THE NITE AWAY, your DANGEROUS dance moves were BAD enough to make us all SCREAM your name... RIP MJ ♥

June 26, 2009 at 3:36 pm |
  115. What is equality?

Rj, you are very slow... Pedophile, Michael Jackson was no pedophile!!!! he missed out on childhood, the news reports that at times he was staggeringly wealthy" you don't get these things without giving something in return... his money allowed him to not only be a philanthropist, but get that which is most important to you that you've lost back... your childhood. He invested in his childhood and like a child, he took the advice of people around him who he thought had his best interest at heart. I believe that the allegations against Michael Jackson involving child molestation are more than false; they were monetarily motivated attempts at character assassination.

This single individual has caused the world to pause... will the world pause you RJ & Luchovich?

Bull fighting is legal, we use animals to test potentially harmful products and we fight people for money and call it a sport. With these hypocrisies in mind we jail Michael Vick for fighting dogs.... a black man, wealthy and successful being viewed by the majority of the world as an icon, in your very small mind is reduced to a child molester only and this is not based on fact, but accusation.

June 26, 2009 at 3:37 pm |
  116. Mojotooth

Don’t get involved with Idol worship. He was a wacko, he did have inappropriate relationship with young boys. Especially those that were child-stars like himself. They may have made him feel young and he may have rationalized that he wanted to help them in some strange way, having been in the same situation. But, he was bent on buying them. He started buy buying a young primate that he took around with him, c’mon! That’s first step in in buying a human child. We now know he bought 3, and the silence of a few others. If you look at how he held that baby out the window it was like he forgot his new toy was a real baby. The man was detached from humanity. Which is why he saw the world a sadly as it truly is. This detachment also allowed him to do extreme physical changes to himself, AND write socially relevant lyrics. While it maybe true that it doesn’t matter if you’re Black or White, if you are still connected to society, you maintain your connections to how god made you. Jackson is what happens when we raise a flawed person (as we all are) to god-status. Don’t mourn him anymore than the person down the street who died that u did not know, cause you truly didn’t know know him… And if you REALLY did know him, you probably would be saying good riddance. Idol worship is a sin. Still…, love his music and will always pretend to moonwalk because of him.

June 26, 2009 at 3:38 pm |
  117. Mark

Betty, it was obvious you did not like Luckovich's cartoon. You compromised your objectivity by your reaction. Personally, I thought Mike's cartoon was poignant and balanced. Don't you find it both fascinating and disturbing that our culture continues to elevate to hero status people like Michael Jackson? Sure, the guy was a great musical talent, but does that merit hero status and adulation? Let us not forget he was socially deviant and now we're finding out what a poor business person he was, too. The great tradegy here is our misguided and misplaced assessment regarding what is truly important and praise worthy.

June 26, 2009 at 3:43 pm |
  118. Chantale Merchant

It seems to amaze me how people think someone died and left them to judge someone else’s wrong doings. Was Michael weird, yes he was? Is it possible that he molested those kids, yes there is? As someone who was molested, I still do not have a right to judge anyone, because I may not be a molester; however I am not perfect and have my own struggles. It is between Michael and his maker if he goes to heaven or not, I am so sick people holy then thou attitude, acting like their crap does not stink and they do not have skeletons in their closets. Let the man rest in peace and remember him for his talent! Dammit, I hate judge mental people.

June 26, 2009 at 3:47 pm |
  119. Big Mo

It might have been in bad taste, but that is what so awesome about it. Props to the AJC for printing it. Freedom of speech lives! (sometimes)

June 26, 2009 at 3:51 pm |
  120. EW

IS THIS FUNNY TO YOU? MUST YOU INTERJECT "HUMOR" INTO
    EVERYTHING THAT IS TRGIC TO BLACK PEOPLE? IS IT ASKING TOO
    MUCH FOR A FULL DAY OF MOURNING FOR OUR PEOPLE?
    I THINK THAT THIS CARTOON IS TASTELESS AND INSENSITIVE.
    WHERE IS THE CARTOON REGARDING FARRAH FAWCETT;
    NOT THAT IT WOULD BE ANY MORE APPROPRIATE, BUT YOU CHOOSE TO MOCK THE DEATH OF A BLACK ICON.

June 26, 2009 at 3:52 pm |
  121. Fred Buhl

I think the cartoon is in bad taste. Michael Jackson's salvation is between he and his maker; perhaps we shouldn't judge him lest we be judged–since one sin may not be any worse than any other sin in the hereafter, I am also concerned about a good number of our God fearing chest thumping politicians who seem to forget about the adultery/lying issue. I never knew Michael Jackson, but I wish I had. I experienced his music and his songs. I’ll Be There is a beautiful song. Thriller changed my life. Michael seemed complex and sensitive. He was a musical genius and an icon. His childhood was lost to him. He was human. He made mistakes. He touched the lives of millions, and gave us all he had. Though I never knew him, I feel as though I did. He was my friend, and he shall be sorely missed. I will let his Creator deal with the salvation.

June 26, 2009 at 3:55 pm |
  122. Fred Buhl

Also: Farrah Fawcett-Majors was a trooper and an outstanding actor. I immensely enjoyed her performance in Charley’s Angels and regret losing this classy lady to cancer. Words are insufficient to express the sadness I feel this day for the loss we have experienced. Farrah will be truly missed.

June 26, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  123. Farah

i don't understand how dare you can draw something like this. u think you're funny ? u'r wrong ... ur jealous of MJ because you'll never be as high as he was. he's amazing .. and we all love him. SHAME ON YOU, JERK.
    RIP MICHAEL, WE MISS YOU SO MUCHH ❤

June 26, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  124. Gaby

What kind of doctor was with Micheal????
    Everyone knows doing CPR on a bed is useless, there must be a hard surface under the victim. Makes you wonder .........

June 26, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  125. Colin

What saddens me is that people fail to realize is that, like many Americans, Jackson's accomplishments must be viewed thru a lens of realizing that he arose on the shoulders of enslaved ancestors. Up until the mid 1990s, ask anyone the question, who was the richest Afro.Amer. family in America? And, they would have responded "The Jacksons." In fact, many sociologists argue that prior to the mid 1990s there was no black-Amer. person or family who rivaled the Gettys, Vanderbilts, Morgans...except for the Jacksons. Now we have Oprah and a generation of Hip Hop musicians who made money promoting negative behavior, but Jackson to his credit sang about PEACE and LOVE. As Americans we see Michael as a mega Icon, b/c he represents what those who are descended from slavery can accomplish...this is something that no matter how hard he tries, our beloved President Obama will never represent. God bless you Michael, all Afro-Americans understand your tribulations, and we shall continue to celebrate your accomplishments.

June 26, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  126. KING OF POP RULZZZ

I hate the artist of this cartoon. Just wait till HE dies... we'll see who's laughing then! There will be no tears, only thundering applause. I saw him on CNN, he kept saying all the negative comments were from the family... what a pompous jerk.

June 26, 2009 at 4:35 pm |
  127. Loretta

The sad part about your drawing is..you cant draw!! that look nothing like the king of pop..:(

June 26, 2009 at 4:49 pm |
  128. David Owen

I think the cartoon is right on the money. There are many people out there that are only sad about his death based on what they think they know of Michael Jackson, not who he really might have been...but who really does/did know him?
    He was a human, granted, but he was as about as nutsy and wacked out as any pop star could get.
    He didn't do a thing for me and although a great dancer, he was no pioneer of any musical or cultural sense in terms of "role model"....
    I'll take John Lennon or Barak Obama over Jackson any day.

June 26, 2009 at 4:55 pm |
  129. Squid

Used, abused, chewed-up and spit out. Dead. It's the American record company/Hollywood way, isn't it? And for what? Nobody really cares. A Generation-X idol, he wasn't a Sinatra or Beatle, or even a Rolling Stone. King of Pop? Maybe. Until the next "self-proclaimed" King of Pop.

June 26, 2009 at 5:03 pm |
  130. peaches

I'LL be glad when the day comes that your low rent butt, gets accused of something you didn't do. Remember the lord is watching your heart too, so don't be surprised if this same cartoon is on YOUR TOMBSTONE.......

June 26, 2009 at 5:35 pm |
  131. Ashley

I don't want to refer to this as a cartoon because cartoons are funny. This drawing is extremely immature and so is whoever drew it. Three kids lost their father; let them grieve. Michael Jackson IS the BEST entertainer, without a doubt, and there will be none like him. He was compassionate and human, which is more than I can say about the Perez Hilton's of the world. He was loved by many in life and in death that love can only grow. May God bless him and his family!

June 26, 2009 at 5:39 pm |
  132. Riva

While I do understand the interest in Michael Jackson's death, there is so much more going on in the world that should take precedence. I am deeply disturbed by the media's disregarding what else is going on in the world. There needs to be a balance. Yes, Jackson's death is news, but so is what's happening in Iran, Iraq and, yes, even here in America.

June 26, 2009 at 5:45 pm |
  133. Bill Smith

The person that did this cartoon is disrespectull, and ignorant. He appreantly did not think and use his brain. Someone should flip a coin to see who kicks his tail. What a fool !!!!

June 26, 2009 at 6:04 pm |
  134. Derek

Why is it this pop icons success over shadows his disgusting legal problems? What he did in the music world hardly overturns his demonic history with children.

And folks wether you like MJ or not it's a cartoon....get over it. if you are THAT weak minded that a simple sketch on paper offends you? Perhaps it is time to re evaluate your psyche.

June 26, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  135. Marie

I really think the cartoons of this type are in poor taste when anyone dies. It shows no sympathy or concern for the family and DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE VERDICT WAS IN HIS CASE. NOT GUILTY....... So let it go... for what is was a ploy to get money.
    How would you like to be judged by man? I'd rather wait on Gods judgement.

June 26, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  136. Toni

It's perfect!!!

June 26, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  137. tkm

This cartoon is simply horrible! Very, very poor taste! Who are we to find humor in the judgement that Michael Jackson faced. We all have to answer for our actions...not one of us is perfect...and, if I remember correctly, in God's eyes a sin is a sin...one is not bigger than the other...so that means a coin needs to be flipped for the entire planet...including Mr. Luckovich!

June 26, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  138. Peyton

This is the first piece that I've seen where somebody has actually talked about the fact that Michael had a dark side as well. People need to hear both sides. The man was not a saint and he should not be made to look like one.

Peyton
    Detroit

June 26, 2009 at 6:37 pm |
  139. MyTake

I think the cartoon is right on track. St. Peter and the possibility of going to heaven represents all of the good things about Michael Jackson that we have come to celebrate and the Devil is in the cartoon because of the accusations of leveled against Michael of being a child molester.

The artist is only saying what has been in the media for the past 24 hours. He was a great musician but had his problems in life.

Loretta – You are an idiot. Michael is not even depicted in the cartoon. Before you slam somebody you may want to make sure you know what you are talking about. Time to go back to school?

June 26, 2009 at 7:10 pm |
  140. arnetta

Leave Michael alone. He was an entertained. He grabbed his grouch because he was only dancing. I wish you all would grabbed your republican officials who are screwing around in private but acting like they are decent in public. Michael was an icon and surpassed Elvis and his music will live on. The media lied on Michael all the time he did not molest any kids because he thought he was a kids himself. Hell Elvis was just as crazy and racist as anyone but you didn't say anything about that. Plus he always slept around with all types of women. However, with Michael Jackson the White liberal media has done what they always do try to destroy a great man. Let him RIP and no one has the right to judge him unless you want someone to judge you and your mistakes...

June 26, 2009 at 7:13 pm |
  141. Malette Kent

Being a child of the 70s, the Michael Jackson I will always remember is the one that made me smile, sing-a-long with him and dance til I dropped. May he rest in peace and may God watch over his children and family at this most difficult time..

June 26, 2009 at 7:55 pm |
  142. Jacqueline Mason

For the hater that posted the cartoon. We don't need to flip a coin for where you'll end up!! Careful what you do and say JERK!!! We are all God's children. But how unfortunate for jerk's like you. Mr. cartoonist.

June 26, 2009 at 8:07 pm |
  143. j

hillarious. I dont understand just a few years ago everyone was like curse you michael blah blah... now everyone is like oh he was a saint. Also image if this comic had a different name. I bet you wouldnt have the same reaction. You'd find it funny hilarious hysterical in fact. Treat everyone the same that my ideal. No matter who died ill give the same consideration.

June 26, 2009 at 8:33 pm |
  144. Therese Beavers

What a media circus over Michael Jackson. I see almost NOTHING about the death of Farrah Fawcett on your tv station. What a cherished person and what a huge icon she was in her own right. She was so very brave. She set the standard for us all. Why shouldn't she have as much recognition as Michael Jackson? Shame on you for letting Michael Jackson's death take over your network programing and letting Farrah Fawcett's battle go practically unspoken of except in her own special. You are mising a great opportunity to share her life, love and bravery with people who cared.Shame!

June 26, 2009 at 8:36 pm |
  145. DEMETRA WASHINGTON

I 'M A HUGE MICHEALJACKSON FAN AND I LOVE HIM AND I WILL MISS HIM VERY MUCH AND MY HEART GOES OUT TO HIS FAMILY AND REST IN PEACE MICHEALJACKSON AND REST IN PEACE BIG MOE.

June 26, 2009 at 9:04 pm |
  146. DEMETRA WASHINGTON

AND I DISLIKE THAT CARTOON DRAWING OF THE DEVIL AND THE ANGEL ABOUT MICHEAL JACKSON IT'S NOT RIGHT AND IT'S VERY HURTFUL AND UNCOOLAS WELL.

June 26, 2009 at 9:15 pm |
  147. Patman

Like MJ or not, fan of MJ or not that cartoon was despicable and in bad taste! The man's not even cold and a hack cartoonist is doign a hit job on him! It would have been best to not do anything at all! To all of you bashing Michael, I hope every aspect of your sorry lives is scrutinized and parodied when you die so that your loved ones can see it while they're still in grief! Better yet, let Sarah Palin die an untimely death and see how you self-righteous hypocrites react to a similar cartoon about her! You all make me sick!

June 26, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  148. Rachell

I think this is a great, great cartoon. It captures the mixed feelings he had been evoking and the mixed reviews he had been receiving, particularly in the last 10 years due to all the reasons that do not need to be explained here. GENIUS.

June 27, 2009 at 12:09 am |
  149. DEBBIE

I WAS SO GLAD TO SEE THE THIS COMIC, BECAUSE LET'S FACE THE TRUTH ,INSTEAD OF 'SUGAR COATING' THE FACTS....... DID EVERYONE FORGET ? AND REMEMBER THIS, JOHN LENNON NOR ELVIS PRESLEY WERE EVER ACCUSED OF BEING A PEDIFILE

June 27, 2009 at 12:10 am |
  150. Rachell

Actually, in the last 20 years...

June 27, 2009 at 12:12 am |
  151. Lisa Iyabor

Oh please give me a break! People lets celebrate the King with his music and spectacular dance moves. Because of this I will never pick up the AJC again.

June 27, 2009 at 1:02 am |
  152. Gordon

Love the cartoon.

No matter what he did good in his life, it does not excuse his inappropriate behaviour with children. I get sick of people using people's childhood and upbringing as an excuse for bad behaviour in later life. If you know something has been wrong in your life you make sure you don't make others suffer as you did.

Anyone with kids of there own will understand where I am coming from.

For the rest of you critics out there, lighten up. It's just a reflection on what many people with any belief in god will be currently thinking. The cartoon has provoked thought and conversation. That was the artists intention.

I am a total athiest. I really enjoy Slayer, Korn and Marilyn Manson. I did not actually think of Michael Jackson in terms of his skin colour at all. He was a fantastic dancer and made great music and videos but money, fame and influence should be never be used to excuse his behaviour. It's not like someone would not have said something if they thought he was out of line.
    I will still enjoy hearing his music and seeing his videos. He was good at what he did. Sad day for many, especially his family.

June 27, 2009 at 1:03 am |
  153. Jimmie Johnson

I for one cannot be judgemental of Michael Jackson. I think if you trust what Elizabeth Taylor says. If your trust what Liza Minilli says. Then Michael was a kind and carrying man. Why he went about life the way he did no one can understand unless they grew up in his environment.

I can only focus on his musical genius and the impact he had on the world. He influenced 2 or maybe 3 Generations of people. White, Black, Yellow, Brown. He saw no color barrier, no language barrier.
    This is why he left the world a better place. 'Just look at yourself and make the change' Michael Jackson.

June 27, 2009 at 1:16 am |
  154. Adrienne Washington

To frank:

You said MJ was socially deviant and a poor businessperson, but I never knew that the latter (i.e., being a poor businessperson) was a crime/sin. Furthermore, being a social deviant in a society where the status quo is disagreeable, partial, and inequitable can be a good thing. Haven't you heard of civil disobedience, rebellion, or reformation?

MJ, like many of us, is from the so-called periphery of society. We're not part of the mainstream culture that establishes ethno- and gender-centric norms in accordance with its own group, and decides what's acceptable & what's not. I have no problem with the fact that he violated some of the norms superimposed on him by hegemonic groups.

I don't think anyone on this blog is arguing that pedophilia is acceptable or that it's healthy to share a bed with a minor. Instead, we're stating that we can't judge Michael because we don't know the truth surrounding the accusations brought against him and that we won't judge him because, in death, he deserves at least that much respect.

And why are people mentioning Farrah Fawcett here in comparison with Michael? It's tragic that both of these (imperfect albeit charitable) people died, you imbeciles!

June 27, 2009 at 1:17 am |
  155. Jay

I am so glad we are not God and can't make that decision between hean and hell. Michael was human with all the good and bad that we ALL have. His sin was no greater than ours. I pray he was right with the Lord. Musical genius he was, who brought joy to many people through his music, including me. Wise, not particularly. Evil, I don't know. But his talent will be missed. As a father, I pray for the loss his children will go through. Michael as a son, no one can fill that void either, and as a brother, the crazy, stupid stuff his siblings will remember as they grew up will pull at their hearts at the weirdest times. Those are the ones who need our support and prayers. He's gone from this life, and as a Pastor I pray he is with the Lord for his eternal life.

June 27, 2009 at 1:18 am |
  156. Sue Imbert

Poor tastes is poor taste no matter what the subject. I worry that we have stooped this low as a society. RIP Michael.

June 27, 2009 at 1:45 am |
  157. charles

big deal a drug infested child predator is dead. GOD did what the laws failed to do! let's hear more about someone good,Farrah Faecett!!!

June 27, 2009 at 9:32 am |
  158. Jimmy

This guy has absolutly no respect. If you liked him or not he was still a human being and degrading someone after they have died is cowardly. I don't even know why this paper published you cartoon I mean it's not funny and this dude should be fired. Why would u have someone like that working with the paper. It's sad that this is the only way you could get some form of attention.

June 27, 2009 at 11:30 am |
  159. Koji Oe

I approve of this cartoon. I am all for going against the grain. Just because he was perhaps an influence it still doesn't disregard he was a strange character and had questionable behavior.

In general, I'm not sure why we raise those that are in the class of entertainer on a pedestal. They are just as immoral and dirty as the rest of us.

June 27, 2009 at 12:02 pm |
  160. Kieth

Iwas wondering with all the talk about MJ's fixation with childhood if anyone have ever considered that perhaps MJ was on the Autism Spectrum with Aspergers in particular. Asperger clients can genius and high very high functioning but suffer socially. This may explain why Michael did not not have a problem sharing his bed with children because he considered himself a child as well. It is not uncommon for children and early adolescent to be innocent and unable to establish clear boundaries. I am not trying to excuse or defend Michael's behavior and legal woes, but I am just curious why much is not being said about MJ's mental state or diagnosis.

June 27, 2009 at 4:06 pm |
  161. erica

This guy really needs to respect the family, friends, and fans of Michael Jackson during this challenging times; why on earth would he distribute something so mean like that.

June 27, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  162. roxanne

I wonder if when Elvis Presley died if these types of cartoons were being published.

The american society is so two-faced its not even funny, and it is very disrespectful.

We are not judge and jurors even though we would like to think we are, so to judge this man is not right. I hope the people who write and publish these articles ; and the ones who make the negative comments about this man, I hope there are right with God because they themselves would be judged.

June 27, 2009 at 5:12 pm |
  163. roxanne

RJ,

You sound like a total racist and someone needs to pray for you. That why our country is the way it is today because of people like you. You believe everything that the media tells you and you then you say you have knowledge. That's real ignorant of you; but then again look at what you are responding to.

June 27, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  164. Martin in Shoreline, WA

We need to get to a place in America and indeed the world, where we understand that it doesn't matter what we personally think. It leads to horrible people who think they have a right to force those thoughts upon the rest of us. Especially those who get offended by pretty much everything they see and hear. We need to start demonizing these jerks, instead of thinking we can outlaw humor.

This cartoon is both funny AND accurate. There is nothing racist about it. Nothing offensive about it. You spineless whiners who see hate in everything need to go away. YOU are the problem. YOU are the ones who sees hatred everywhere. The hatred is in YOUR heart, not everyone else's. I am sure there wasn't an iota of hatred in this cartoonist's mind when he created this piece of work.

June 27, 2009 at 6:59 pm |
  165. Linda Martinez from MI.

This man is very sick and the rest of people that are thinking the same way, Leave Micheal Jackson to rest in RIP, Please people have some compassion for his family and his kids. This is so sick. Who cares if he did drugs, so be it. Micheal Jackson has been in pain for a very long time. Please people leave him alone, and let him go into the gates of heaven. Very angery fan.

June 27, 2009 at 7:09 pm |
  166. chicc

wow that guy is horrible , i believe michael jackson was a good man , i love him R.I.P

June 27, 2009 at 8:14 pm |
  167. genejocdoc

Spot on editorial cartoon. Another example of why Mr. Luckovich is one of the best!

June 27, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  168. RHONDA CHICHESTER

YOU ALL ARE GOING TO HELL!!!!!!!! THAT MAN IS DEAD, HE IS NOT IN THE GROUND YET!!!!!!!! HE HAS A FAMILY WHO LOVES HIM, KIDS WHO ARE HURTING....... A MOTHER WHO SOUL IS HURTING FOR HER CHILD!!!! HOW DARE YOU!!!! PEOPLE LIKE YOU KILLED MICHEAL!!!!!!!!! YOU PEOPLE SHOW NO CONCERN FOR HIS LOVE ONE'S, AND A HUMAN BEING WHO HAS GAVE JOY TO SO MANY. GOD WILL PUNISH YOU ALL. FOSSWADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 27, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  169. omegetymon

The coin flip is ONLY for the "cartoonist" and his ability to "serve" a descent thought.

June 28, 2009 at 12:35 am |
  170. omegetymon

And to RJ. It would serve such a prolific,(using an "avenue colloquialism".), "Hater" to learn to spell his accusations correctly. The 'IDIOCY" that is mistaken for "freedom of speech" is clearly drawn in the AJ offaling, 'er, offering. It is such a clear example, through reading these comments, that this Nation has lost its "sense" of HUMANITY. And "WE" want the WORLD to follow such a "wonderful" example.

June 28, 2009 at 12:49 am |
  171. Mo

While I do agree with Luckovich that Michael Jackson's personal life was indeed controversial, and that a grown man inviting children over to his estate is no valid excuse to make up for a lost childhood; I stiil believe that Mr. Luckovich's idea to publish a cartoon of where the late King of Pop will go to in the hereafter is maliciously unacceptable. I am one of the people who believe that MJ was falsely implicated in two trials which were actually extortion conspiracies; so in other words, what kind of person defames a kind gentle man who is no longer on this Earth? Exactly, a monstrous animal-the kind of person Mike Luckovich is.

June 28, 2009 at 3:01 pm |
  172. Ozzy Miragi

Kudos for Luckovich.... With this much publicity, he should get a raise. MJ was a public figure with a penchance for doing 'odd' things – dangling baby over railing – dancing on a car hood after a court date – going off his meds – holding sleepovers for children. MJ even inspired a "Law and Order" episode on pedophilia. Let's give Luckovich credit for grabbing the lightning rod, with the mighty pen.

June 30, 2009 at 3:31 pm |
  173. pc816

Michael had SERIOUS issues, and I wish people would stop ignoring it. Only a eulogy praises only the good that a man does. The rest of us need to remember all of it, as a cautionary tale of how celebrities spin out of control.

July 3, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  174. John

There is no room for CHILD MOLESTERS in heaven, and CNN and FOX news should be ashamed of themselfs for there all day coverage of this weird-O-

July 7, 2009 at 5:35 pm |
  175. ramiz

I would like to know what was michael jackson's true religion, was christian,jewish, or muslim? please reply to my comment it would be a great help.

July 9, 2009 at 12:00 pm |