Today on CNN Newsroom

July 1st, 2009

In Memory of Eddy Dane

Charlen and Dan McLean joined Kyra today, as part of our special coverage of veterans' health issues. The McLeans lost their son to suicide. Last week.

USMC Staff Sgt. Charles "Eddy" Dane hasn't even been laid to rest yet. The fact that his parents consented to a live interview - and were strong enough to share his story - speaks to the urgency of the mental health/PTSD crisis among so many returning Iraq and Afghanistan vets.

We found out about Eddy from his Uncle John, who reached out to Kyra via Twitter.

1. Sarah

It is my understanding that President Obama stated (promised) that those who are satisfied with their present medical insurance coverage, may keep it. I sure hope so. I'm one of those.

July 2, 2009 at 10:29 am |
  2. Kelly Garner

To be such a positive broadcast you guys have displayed such negative information about Michael Jackson. Maybe you could get a tip from the Today show. They have talked about the good things Michael Jackson has done in his lifetime. You don't know who this affects. There are men, women, and children who love Michael Jackson. Instead of writng about such hate why don't you talk about the love Michael Jackson had for his fans and his country. We dogged him so much he had to go to Europe and perform. The drugs didn't kill Michael Jackson we as a nation did. When are we going to realize that famous people are human too. Please remember the good times of Micahel Jackson. Love, Kelly Garner

July 2, 2009 at 2:39 pm |
  3. Sara

CNN has FABULOUS news anchors. Anderson and Erica are the best! You blew it though with Rick Sanchez. He's not credible, he's sleezy and he's reaching into sensionalism news reporting which I feel discredits the fine reputation of CNN. Get him off the air.

July 2, 2009 at 3:46 pm |
  4. Pam

Thank you CNN for airing this story. When my daughter came home from work & told me about Ssgt. Danes, I was so very sad. You see she knew Ssgt. Danes. I am a retired Army spouse, & it just sickens me the "We're tough" attitude the military puts forth. Any sign of weakness will not be tolerated. Listen up all you Military Big Wigs...the men & women coming home from war or extended time apart from their families ARE BROKEN!!!! The military should be helping these guys & gals, whether they want it or not!! Ssgt. Danes had been having problems for a long time....NOBODY thought, HMM...this guy is crying out for help????Nope, but they noticed him when he didn't show for work....TOO LATE USMC. I want to send my deepest sympathies to Ssgt. Danes parents. I have prayed for you & your son.

July 2, 2009 at 7:44 pm |
  5. Pam

I wanted to apologize for misspelling Ssgt. Dane. I meant no disrespect.

July 2, 2009 at 8:26 pm |
  6. Milton Smith

I'm not a power circle buff but everything seems designed Kyra. The solar system tells a story, Pluto you go too far you get lost, Mercury you get too close and you melt, Mars not enough turf and you lose air, Venus too much air and it's going to work, Saturn too big and you spin out of control, Jupiter to much size and you get gasy, Unanus and Neptune too blue and you get pushed a side, Bush bankrupt the losers, Terrorists try and get a plane and terrorize and they did, Russia be hostile and they did, Korea point missles and test your luck and they just might.

July 4, 2009 at 8:35 am |
  7. Mike

I was one of the first responders to respond to this tragic lose, It is somethig I will never forgetand hope I never have to see again! I hope the the USMC and all other branches of our millitary will take notice of their pesonal and give them the help that they all desperatly need after what they ask of these kids! To eddys parents i am so sorry for your loss, I wish I could have done somethig for him but unfoutanatly I did not pesonally know him, but it is such a small base i did see him from time to time.

July 4, 2009 at 8:25 pm |
  8. Charlen McLean

Thank you Mike for being there for Eddie Dane, SSgt Dane. It is a small base. So, all the more able to know what is going on with the people, yes, people, on the base. They are people first and then the military turns them into marines, or army corpsmen, or navy, airforce, what ever they want them to be. The person, Eddie, was a kind and generous man who loved the marine corps and he loved people. I am so sad.

July 16, 2009 at 7:18 am |
  9. Dave

I personally knew SSgt Dane. We served in Iraq together 2006 – 2007 on the same personal security detachment with 3d Recon Bn and he was in my truck from time to time. We shared the same billeting hut in 29 Palms for training for Iraq. Ed was a great guy. He definitely had a certain view on life. Things were hard sometimes and we talked about it but he always seemed to come to the right conclusion. That's why I'm so surprised to hear that he had committed suicide. I'm saddened that I lost my Marine brother to something that may have been preventable. My condolences to the McLean family. I'm so sorry to hear about Ed. He was a good Marine as far as I knew him and he had a lot going for him.

September 19, 2009 at 12:18 am |