Today on CNN Newsroom

July 4th, 2009

Dionne Warwick: "The Jackson Family Will Get Through This"

Thousands upon thousands of people have been physically close to Michael Jackson. Far fewer can claim Michael Jackson was close to them emotionally. Legendary singer Dionne Warwick knew Jackson better than most. She and her son, music producer Damon Elliott, spoke with CNN's Don Lemon about their rare friendship with a superstar, especially the making of "We Are the World."

Filed under: Don Lemon
  1. GRAM23

GOD BLESS MICHAEL . I PRAY THEY WILL FIND OUT WHO GAVE HIM THE DRUGS THE NIGHT HE DIED ..

July 4, 2009 at 11:51 pm |
  2. Yanela

I am disappointed in Don Lemon's Man in the Mirror piece on Michael Jackson. I was hoping you would give him some dignity in his death. Many rumors were reported as facts such as his sleeping in an anti-aging machine when it was cleared up years ago that he was checking out a high tech machine he purchased for burn victims. He donated all the money he gained from suing Pepsi after being burned during a shoot to a hospital which established the Michael Jackson Burn Unit.

I would hope that you watched the 1993 interview MJ had with Oprah Winfrey where he addressed all the rumors about him. It was so honest. Again, I am disappointed that your piece did not go beyond sensationalism. This hurt.

July 5, 2009 at 11:14 am |
  3. Mio

The media keeps reporting that Michale Jackson looked frail. When was he not? He was always a thin, streamlined man. That was one of the reasons he moves looked so sharp and exact. Please give this man some dignity now in death since the U.S. media did not appreciate him when he was alive or treat him as if he were a human being.

July 5, 2009 at 11:18 am |
  4. Leslie

It's been a difficult time for millions of fans and admirers of this extraordinary man globally. Michael made the world a little better while he was here, his music will live on forever! Painfully he will be missed but never forgotten! Rest in Peace!

" And when the groove is dead and gone
    You know that love survives
    So we can rock forever, on..." Rock With You-MJ

July 5, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  5. Jennifer S.

Yes I am sure that the Jackson family will get over Michael's death. I will miss not hearing him sing songs anymore and not hearing that he has taken the time to write some more songs that his fans will love but I will always love his music and remember him.

I also wanted to ask what time will Michael Jackson's public funeral start on Tuesday so that I can watch it on television?

Sincerely
    Jennifer S.

July 5, 2009 at 2:53 pm |
  6. Mrs. Eileen G. Curras widow to Hernandez

The connection of thousands upon thousands of people who have had an emotional connection to Mr. Michael Jackson cannot be denied. This lost is big and I cannot imagine to his family. I will pray for his family and for his children to come together. We have to take care of Mr. Michael Jackson children is the way that we can honor his memory. We need to work as a village. Children need love and care as Mr. Michael Jackson claimed on his song.

July 5, 2009 at 6:02 pm |
  7. Elmari

Don, I just saw you say on CNN that Rev. Al Sharpton has been criticising the media on the Michael Jackson coverage. I've watched all the news and entertainments channels, but I am loyal to CNN through this because you have honored this man's legacy, as well as, Larry King and Anderson Cooper. Especially you, Don. I can tell that you are a fan of Michael's, perhaps a big fan because I feel your empathy when you talk to close friends and colleagues of Michael's. Thank you for your hard work and dedication to Michael Jackson since he passed away. I think you and CNN are doing a great job.

July 5, 2009 at 6:40 pm |
  8. Chad Webb

It would be fitting for Michael Jackson and all those who loved him to lay this amazing star to rest on the moon. He, after all is "The Moonwalker".

July 5, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  9. David

Don, thank you for your great reports! Especially when you make people accountable for their comments. When you jumped on Joe Jackson for his comments and Rev. Al Sharpton, you made them accountable and didn't back down from them. Thank you!

July 5, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  10. Sondra Hopkins

I am so upset with CNN, creating rifts due to the comments people
    make regarding Michael. Everyone has controversies in their lives,
    we don't need to hear and see about Michael's everyday, we
    already know about his past problems, focus on the man and
    his music, not what his 70 something daddy says, and harp on
    that, or what people around his family are saying. Don't take it
    personal CNN. We want to build up not tear down, and go on the
    offensive, and attack other people and their personal comments
    about the media's coverage of Michael over the years. Which
    has been less than stellar.

July 6, 2009 at 11:35 am |