Today on CNN Newsroom

July 12th, 2009

Will She Make History?

Tomorrow morning Sonia Sotomayor, a federal appeals judge in New York, faces the Senate committee that could make her this country's first Latino U.S. Supreme Court justice.

CNN's Betty Nguyen and Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser have a preview of Sotomayor's confirmation hearings.

You can watch the hearings live on CNN and CNN.com Monday, 10am ET/7am PT.

And join Betty Nguyen and TJ Holmes weekend mornings in the CNN Newsroom, 6am ET/3am PT.

1. T.

Concerning the complaint that the NAACP does not have a policy on gays, does GLAAD have a policy on people of color? What has GLAAD specifically done for people of color? Gays are entitled to their rights, but this accusation is completely unfair.

July 12, 2009 at 9:03 am |
  2. Larry

She'll be approved. She's obiously highly qualified.

July 12, 2009 at 9:23 am |
  3. mark newman

I think that she will make it but this will be the beginning of the end of our constitution. There are going to be to many Libs! God help our Nation

July 12, 2009 at 10:59 am |
  4. David and Suzanne Hendrix

Don Lemon – I see you want to go fishing. Would you like to come to our little town, Waynesville, NC, in the heart of the mountains and fish for trout, (brown or rainbow)? My husband will take you. You can call and he'll discuss where, when you are available and such. You can fly fish or just hook and sinker (that's what I call it).

July 12, 2009 at 2:46 pm |
  5. Ruby P

Ihope that they don't let her (sotomayor) be a judge on our high court. She has done proven how rasist she is , remarks that a latina woman was better then any white man! I sure wouldn't want to have to be a white man or person depending on her to be fair!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 12, 2009 at 2:51 pm |
  6. Emeritus Prof. Joan Leininger

As an emeritus professor of communication i have been watching the Sotomayor hearings closely. I am inscensed that FOUR times when Democratic senators spoke...beginning with Diane Feinstein and now with Dick Durbin....you cut them off with commercials while not interrupting the Republicans! You are usually more even handed..

July 13, 2009 at 12:48 pm |
  7. Yvonne Finn

Re: Sonya Sotamayor's hearings:
    What a lot of navel gazing over nothing.
    While it is imperative that this candidate be as honest and honourable as any human being can be expected to be, which one before her and after her will be without prejudice.

Her only "crime" is in being so forthcoming.
    What a bunch of hypocrites humans are.
    And of course, since Americans must take everything to the extreme, they have now taken the soap box to crucify this woman.

All the fuss is about pretending that racism does NOT exist in America!
    Americans know that racism is in the very DNA of their makeup, but they don't want it articulated, at least in public.

Once articulated, they will take extraordinary and ridiculously transparent sophistry to get it retracted.

When all those galleries of old white men were handing down descisions based solely on race, no one challenged them, because they were devious enough not to articulate their views, at least publicly, there prejudiced bent.

Candidate Sotamayor has so much to offer, starting with her guileness honesty.

My question is why does she want to serve or even be associated with such a bunch of cretins?

Yvonne Finn

July 14, 2009 at 11:55 am |
  8. mick mejia

Obama, everyone overreacted. he left out that he overreacted too! let's say it's me that is reported busting into my own house. first of all I would say yes sir, no sir and would answer all inquiries about the situation as cool, calm & collected as I can. (remember these public servants are risking their lives for us every day). I believe once the office discovered the truth, there would be no problem. and i would be thankful that one of my neighbors was looking out for my best interest. and that the police had come out to protect me and my property. nuff said.

July 24, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  9. Chantal

Usually I cringe when I hear Let X equal . today I lueghad too true. I even find myself saying it to Jason when I'm helping him with math. Took him a while to catch on but since he was in pre-algegra last year he finally figured out what I meant.I gave the website to a co-worker, she's in charge of Organizational Development and Effectiveness and she found them interesting. Just thought I'd let you know.I don't think you can teach people how to ID the root cause and define the solution and the outcome. It comes from practical experience, all we can do as managers is keep walking them through the process, asking them leading questions what do you think the cause is , what do you think will happen if we do X or Y etc. until they learn it. There are a lot of things I do, that I can't teach, they come from experience, common sense and thinking outside the box.

March 24, 2012 at 12:06 pm |