Today on CNN Newsroom

July 17th, 2009

Heath Reform: Who’s going to pay?

What’s healthcare reform going to cost and how are we going to pay for it? TJ Holmes, Communications Director for the White House Office of Health Reform, Linda Douglass and CNN Senior Medical Correspondent, Elizabeth Cohen discuss the financial implications of reform on your medical care.

Post by:
Filed under: CNN Newsroom
  1. Jan of Colordo

Tax all alcohol related purchases- package liquor stores, bars, and DUI fines -alcohol causes: diseases of liver, pancreas, kidney, brain, birth defects, nutritional deficiencies, falling, fighting, vehicle accidents, insominia, depression, child and spousal abuse, etc. All of the above will require eventual medical care.

Jan of Colorado

July 17, 2009 at 8:15 pm |
  2. Marianne from phila

The time to offer all Americans a more reliable choice in care is now. The government is the only entity strong enough to take on powerful, uncarring, greedy big insurance. Just yesterday I spent 3 hours arguing with United Healthcare who denied a claim for blood glucose testing supplies for my 21 yr old diabetic son. He has bad insurance through his job , low income and no choices but to battle and deal. Ther is no customer service at the big insurance companies. They have no consequences for treating customers badly, they do not have to provide details of coverage and rules in writing to patients. The working poor are the one's needing help. My son could better care for himself if he refused to work and went on welfare! Meanwhile at the Northeast Phila hospital I work for I care for a huge well insured immigrant population, These people have never paid taxes and qualify for medicare for free and get their B benefits free from Penna. I'm outraged and ready for action! Your reports seem to support the conservative side too often.

July 18, 2009 at 8:39 am |
  3. michael armstrong sr.

Why dont we just borrow more money's from China and let them pay for it all and all that is the government way of doing things .

July 18, 2009 at 10:12 am |
  4. harbans singh

i have a company provided insurance coverage. my total coverage
    is 25000dollars, suppose i get a heart attack and got admitted
    to a hospital for ten days, the total cost shall be in the vicinity
    of 200,000 dollars. i work as a security officer and make
    ten dollars and hour, i want to ask those people who oppose
    the changes, where will i get 175000 to cover the medical
    cost. i will lose my house, my savings and everything i have.
    i fully support the president for governement plan health
    insurance so that many of the population of this country
    who have limited coverage and breath a sigh of relief.
    there is no control over the cost of theservice. you buy a car
    you know how much you are going to pay. you get sick you
    do not know how much it is going to cost you, the only time
    you come to know when you get a bill. the lawmaker do not
    feel the pain because they have 100 percent coverage paid
    by the taxpayers money, when it comes to the population
    of this country, hey say it is too expensive. god bless ameraica.

July 18, 2009 at 1:52 pm |
  5. Mrs. Eileen G. Curras widow to Hernandez (WWII)

Seems to me to be the perfect solution, the rich did not care for this situation long time ago. Politics as always did not care for the solution. How can I feel sorry for people who clearly did not care for the majority of the population based on the label of good for nothing or expendable and even whiners? How can I feel sorry for a situation that was patronized even by the administration of George Bush and so many other presidents? The Democrat House plans to reform health care funded in part by a “tax surcharge” on Americans making more than $350,000 a year and families making between $350,000 and $500,000 a year would face a 1% tax surcharge and even those making more than $500,000 would face a 1.5% tax surcharge and those making more than $1 million would face a 5.4% tax surcharge. We need to come up with a solution which has being neglected by many presidents administrations and many congress. This is not a situation which was created over a day. It was allowed and those who did not have a medical health care are label expendable. I cannot feel sorry for them. I am a widow to a World War II Veteran who used to be an accountant, auditor and tax preparer. He died in 1998. I am left behind with my 15 year old child who suffers from ADHD and GAD. I suffer myself from a chronic condition of Multiple Sclerosis. Where is my chance to spell the beans for my story? Where is my chance to speak out my situation of being with a Chronic Condition and being discharge from a famous hospital in Miami, Florida at 2:00 am without no medications and no medical care. I had to move back to Puerto Rico to get the Health Care and answer that the Continental United States Health Care System denied to me because I have Multiple Sclerosis. Whiners and the other labels are not the answer to my child. I need to exist for her. I still need to take care of her. The government will not do that. Mr. Obama and Mrs. Obama will not do that. They have their obligations. Now we have to think of the citizens because the economic situation will last longer. I was married to an economist too. I think that the rich have to pay for their indulgences too.

July 18, 2009 at 3:35 pm |
  6. Sharon,Daniel Island

I am a dem. But I am confused about the Health Care reforms being offered. I just don't know where I would stand in this new system. Being without health care coverage is a very scary thing

July 18, 2009 at 3:43 pm |
  7. Kathy of Salt Lake

One of the issues concerning me most is the cost. If we are going to be forced to cover the 20Mil+ illegal immigrants as is being talked about now, do we get to insist that Mexico help pay for the new health care measures? If we can't afford healthcare for ourselves, how can we be expected to pay for another 20Mil+? This is not making mathmatical sense at all, but then neither does the fact that WHO said we are requesting 600 Million vaccinations when our census nine years ago said we had just reached the 300 million mark...anyone have the answers?

July 18, 2009 at 5:51 pm |
  8. JF

This country is in the shape it is in because the people with money
    just what their money to go to theirselfs. They do not want to pay taxes.
    The state in the USA with more Rich people then most countries is
    in the worst shape because the Rich man governor is tring to pretect
    his Rich friends. I am a unemployed man for almost 2 years and I
    can not go to the doctor. If I came down with the EBOLA virus, " Who
    is going to pay indeed and viruses do not care about you being RICH

July 18, 2009 at 9:03 pm |
  9. joe kelley

HI TJ, I'm watching coverage of the Health Care reform debate. I would suggest that President Obama suspend health care insurance coverage for all government employees until meaningful health care reform is reached and enacted. This would address the conservatives concern about the deficit (think of the money it would save!) and give our leaders incentive to find a solution. Let them feel our pain!

July 19, 2009 at 8:42 am |
  10. RChristy

I have been a small business owner for almost 15 years. I have always felt it is unfair for employers to match their employee's social security and medicare. I would love to give my employees more pay raises or bonuses. However, I cannot because of the increase in payroll taxes I would have to pay. If the government requires me to provide health insurance for my employees, I will go out of business.
    If my employees are required to purchase their own health insurance, I will be forced to pay them more or risk losing them as employees. If I loose my employees, I go out of business. If I have to give them raises and pay more social security and medicare, I will go out of business. If so many Americans cannot afford health insurance now, how will they possibly afford insurance if the government makes it mandatory? If employers cannot afford to pay their employees more now, how will employers be able to afford mandatory insurance bennefits for their employees? I am also a retired U.S. Marine. I was promised free medical care if I served for at least 20 years. I served on active duty for 23 years. After I retired, I learned that I would be required to pay close to $30 per month for medical "insurance" or I would risk not receiving medical care at all. If I become required to pay for mandatory insurance as an employee, I will be paying twice for something I was promised would cost me nothing...if I served my country for at least 20 years. I am certain their are many employers, employees, and retired military that share these same concerns and wish that someone in the news media would bring these concerns to the forefront of medical reform by our government.

July 25, 2009 at 8:32 am |
  11. eric staggs

look i am not advocating leagalizing pot... however people have proven that they are going to get drugs, leagal or not. so i say if you leagalize it tax pot to pay for health care. i believe that they will make alot more than projected. it might not cover the health care but it would put a large amount toward it.

July 29, 2009 at 10:53 am |