Today on CNN Newsroom

July 23rd, 2009

Double amputee helps others

Jordan Thomas lost his legs on an annual family fishing trip. He spent the next two weeks undergoing several surgeries in the hospital, where he met several other amputees. The future looked particularly grim for some of the disadvantaged children amputees, who would need numerous prosthetics, as they outgrow several of them before reaching adulthood.

Jordan had just lost his legs, yet felt lucky. He was in a financially stable family with health insurance. As he thought about a few of the amputee children, some without health care, some without parents, he decided to launch a foundation to help. The Jordan Thomas Foundation has since raised $350,000, providing prosthetics for three recipients, and committing to provide replacement prosthetics until they reach age 18.

Jordan Thomas lost his legs, but through the experience, he discovered the size of his heart, and what would become his life's work.

If you would like to learn more about Jordan Thomas, his foundation and their efforts to help provide prosthetics to underprivileged children, visit our Impact Your World Page.

Filed under: Impact Your World • Tony Harris
  1. Cthompson

Couldn't find another place to comment on this. I saw your piece on the wheelchair. Please please please do more of those, bring to light more of what is actually happening in our government and how they are wasting our tax dollars. They keep talking all this gobbldygook, and mumbo jumbo to try and confuse everyone please put to the public in terms we can ALL understand.

July 23, 2009 at 11:11 am |
  2. michael armstrong sr.

Its always said that god helps those who help themselves.

July 23, 2009 at 11:20 am |
  3. Bryan- Los Angeles

When it comes to Health Care Reform......I haven't heard details on what exactly it is that Obama wants to "reform"??

The Government should start by cutting down on the fraud in the current system, capping the amount of settlements in malpractice lawsuits, and the amount paid to cover immigrants, legal and illegal, who haven't paid into the system!

I'd rather see Congress take it's time, think this Bill out and bring us something that's cost effective and efficient! We can't accept a Bill that's pushed through in a few weeks....only to have to suffer dearly for it down the line! We need the time to work on something truly great.

The TARP Bill was rushed.....and now the money is gone and we don't know where it went!

July 23, 2009 at 11:24 am |
  4. Nancy

Information is power. What this kid is doing is phenomenal, wonderful... but there is a nationwide network of hospitals specifically established to treat kids with mobility and orthopedic issues and burns. SHRINERS.

My daughter was born an amputee and we were turned away from 3 of the top children's hospitals in the country... then Shriners took us in and we have never looked back. She's 81/2 and has her 4th prosthetic. We have never paid a dime. They've taken an economic hit, so please consider supporting a Shriner's Hospital from the Jordan Thomas Foundation: http://www.shrinershq.org/Shrine/

July 23, 2009 at 12:09 pm |
  5. BarbaraAnn B. Conti

Dear Tony, All CNN & Americans:
    Great job with staying on target with the Health Care Reform !! And, keep those personal stories being shown on your shows. The truth MUST come out so all Americans will become truly informed by each other so as to 'through out the Congress' who do not work for the interests of 'we the people' !! I sent you a few notes earlier...yes not only a wheelchair, but my Mother's commode, walker, cane, care from a visiting Nurse and/or Nurse's aide. This happens to Millions not just one at home care need and person !! And the Fraud and Abuse to this Medicare & Medicaid systems is rampant also, I worked in that area as an investigating Nurse at one job. Look into that further, please. Thank you so much. GOD Bless you, yours, and all of the Americans. Sincerely, Barb

July 23, 2009 at 12:31 pm |
  6. Barb

Great job by that young man amputee for other amputees...and, Nancy is right abou the 'Shriner's Children's Hospitals'...went there as a child with my 'Shriner' Father...to also be taught how 'lucky' I was as well as to 'give' to others, always. However, many of us today do not have the time to 'volunteer' our time, and individual efforts...so Nancy was also right to ask all to assist with our own donations...yet hard today with so many 'lost jobs'...=ing not enough monies to 'donate'...if we can however, we must. Maybe we could tap into the money Mr. Bernie Madoff and Mr. Sanford get paid as 'prisoners'. Thanks, Nancy, and GOD Bless you and yours. Barb

July 23, 2009 at 1:47 pm |
  7. Tom Franks

I'm curious as to why CNN doesn't divulge the purchasers of the anti-healthcare advertisements. Consiracy theory says their is an agreement with them to not do so because of the money involved.

Are the buyers of the anti-healthcare advertisements on your network a group of insurance companys? Doctors? I'd llike to know each time you broadcast an adverstisement like I mentioned because if it is the Health Insurance companys buying them, I know that I want what ever they don't want.

July 23, 2009 at 2:30 pm |
  8. chris

are you kidding? My girlfriend, who lost one leg to cancer paid $100,000 for a top of the line prosthetic. She would have loved to have paid $22,000.

July 23, 2009 at 5:48 pm |
  9. Eddie from Arkansas

I know that there are alot of people uninsured but alot of the people cant afford insurance the reason the insurance is so high is the outlandish cost I mean 5 or 6 dollars for asprin and so on.

July 24, 2009 at 11:22 am |
  10. EDGAR

Hello everyone!
    My commente is about the recently slap in the face of the Hondurean People who they trow up MR. Manuel Zelaya for disrrup the constitution, brake the law, insult the Hondurean goverment institution Etc. etc. etc.
    We acting in our ONLY rights autorize the execution of the constitutive laws and regulation developping serial issues applying, in this case the autoexpelling from power, instead the exile with as he know is legal.
    BUT the worst part of it is seeing that the goverment that support us in worst situation now is traying to whistle and turn the head to the other side, how embarrasing for a country that show us the way on how to become legitimate, now is giving us their back, SUPPORTING THE CRIMINAL MR. ZELAYA.
    I suppost this a new WINNING record for MRS. Clinton and Mr. Obamas Goverment; who been showing simpaty to this stinky man who is causing the ruin for millions of his own people.
    I suppost to give thanks to them the people who is suporting Mr. Zelaya's violation, crime against the Hondureans, corruptioner, and who is been declared an enemy of the U.S. for the economic politic, I supposted to put my head down in signal to obey such criminal context that insult the democracy and rape the Hondurean constitution.
    I dont think so.!!!

September 3, 2009 at 4:58 pm |
  11. Steve Mato

As much as I liked the analogy of the proposed Healthcare plan participation requirement to the requirement to carry auto insurance, I couldn't help but laugh when I thought about it the 1st time I heard it.

Driving is a privilege, not a right, and far from mandatory in many instances. One can choose not to pay auto insurance, by choosing not to drive / own a car. (I sure to pay. Heck, I pay $5000 a year for 4 cars). But the point is Living IS A Right; is it safe to say a Constitutional right? So let me get this right.... this country will mandate everyone will be PAYING TO LIVE even if you can't afford it?

As much as I'm for stopping this endless rise in my healthcare insurance payment, I'm not very comfortable with the mandate option if there isn't something like a $10 – $20/month option for those significantly less fortunate then myself/ourselves.

Best regards,