Today on CNN Newsroom

July 29th, 2009

Michael Vick's Road to Redemption: has he done enough?

Monday, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell reinstated former Falcon Quarterback Michael Vick to the NFL on a conditional basis and will be considered for full reinstatement and to play in regular-season games by Week 6 (October 18-19) based on the progress he makes in his transition plan.

Michael Vick's Road to Redemption

Michael Vick's Road to Redemption

Vick is also set to begin work with the Humane Society soon. Vick will be part of an anti-dogfighting campaign aimed at preventing youths from getting involved in dogfighting.

We want to know. Is Vick doing enough to repair his image and show remorse? Do you agree with the NFL's decision?

Filed under: Anchors • Fredricka Whitfield
  1. Julie

Simple answer.....YES!! He did his time and learned his lesson. Let him get going on his new life with the NFL.

July 27, 2009 at 10:57 am |
  2. michael armstrong sr.

What's fair is fair if the human rights activist feels its nesasary to imprison a man for crulty to animales then they also need to go after hunters and slauter houses these animales die whith great agony some body needs to put there foot down to all activist and say enough with unfair prosecutions .

July 27, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  3. Sandra Rosenberg

The pain and suffering this man caused so many inocent animals is an indication of his lack of humanity and empathy. It is my belief that Michael Vick would have continued his dog fighting business if he had not been arested. And, the only reason for his community service and wanting to participate in ani-dog fighting compaigns are to help change his very disgraced and nasty image.
    He should not be allowed to retun to the NFL. How can a man redeem himself from the enjoyment he got from intentionally inflicting pain on defenceless animals.

July 27, 2009 at 12:03 pm |
  4. GreatestGuy

it is up to the nfl whether vick goes back to playing football or not.
    I dont give a care either way.

July 27, 2009 at 12:04 pm |
  5. RJ

The guy should still be in jail, and certainly not ever allowed in the NFL or any other pro sport, he blew it! Pete Rose only gambled and has been banned for life, different standard for white players? Torturing animals is a precursor to serial killing and thats a fact! Stop pandering to a common criminal!

July 27, 2009 at 1:12 pm |
  6. RJ

Slaughter houses are for you , us humans to eat! Vick was not slaughter animals for human comsumption! Big Difference morons! The tax payer gave him an opportunities which included life before college, college, and then a shot in the NFL, all subsidized by the tax payer! He couldnt control himself after the tax payer gave him the opportunity! He thought he would run a illegal dog fighting ring for profit I might add and he got caught! There should be no more free giveaways for a common street thug! He should like the rest of regular Americans have to go out and get a real job digging ditches, sweatshop work, whatever it takes to pay the bills! We need to set standards for these thugs who lived off tax payer money only to get a professional job in sports making millions where they cant act right and deserve to lose everything like regular Americans have been since the economy went south! Nobody feels sorry for the regualr Joe who pays his taxes, stays out of trouble, and still is losing everything! I have no sympathy for these jocks when the rest of Americans wander even if they will have a job tomorrow or not!

July 27, 2009 at 1:22 pm |
  7. jack

i don't believe he could ever really change from being cruel and in human. he should not be allowed to play nfl again. ii think giventhe opptunity ,he would get involed for the money, and his own sick enjoyment. jack

July 27, 2009 at 2:44 pm |
  8. sandra wooden

Yes I do these things are done all the time in one fashion or another such has having 72 cats in a place and not keeping it clean or feeding them. If it goes for him it should go for all watch animal police very intersesting show

July 27, 2009 at 4:49 pm |
  9. Charlie Erickson

What I find difficult to accept, is that he got so little time. For him, it will end up being a slap on the wrist, compared to what would have been thrown at the average Joe. What about other charges for gambling, reckless endangerment, illegal land use, etc., etc.?

People who engage in such behavior, are prone to abuse, hurt, and kill people also.

Domestic animals used for food, are not the same as those used as companions, pets, work animals, or all of the above. We eat animals because nature made us omnivores (ironically, just like dogs). We never would have become the conscious, sentient beings we are, if we were browsing or grazing herbivores. Our domestication of other animals may not have occurred, without our first bonding in the way we did with the dog.

Our incredibly long relationship with dog, the many ways in which we are so alike, and what the dog has done for our species, is what makes crimes such as these so heinous.

I don't think that any sport in which he could/would make huge amounts of money via fan devotion, should accept such behavior and reward him by allowing him to return to his million$.

Average Joes would have lost everything, and the key would have been thrown away.

Charlie.

July 27, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  10. Bill

Vick is getting off with slap on the wrist. Only a premier sports star who means so much money to the NFL and its owners would back his ever playing ball again...do we really need him?

July 27, 2009 at 6:04 pm |
  11. sandra wooden

The average Joe would not have gotten thaat much time possibly no time at all. They give a notification as was done to some people who do not feed their horse or anyother pet if it goes for Vic should go for all the average Joe

July 27, 2009 at 6:07 pm |
  12. Charlie Erickson

Not feeding your horse, and the torture (like electrocution) or other outwardly illegal mistreatment are not the same thing. An elderly lonely person (for example) with dozens of cats, and a millionaire training and torturing animals to fight to the death for amusement and monetary gain, are not the same thing.

You're way off track on this, Sandra.

Charlie.

July 27, 2009 at 6:47 pm |
  13. Sherice

I feel that Michael Vick should get a second chance. I'm sure he wasn't the only one involved with the dog fighting case but shouldered all the blame. I do understand people's frusturation of the incident, but feel that he did his time, had property taken away, filed bankruptcy, etc. and now is being crucified just for being who he is. I didn't see this much backlash with Michael Phelps. He didn't get charged for smoking illegal marijuana. Just like M. Vick, M. Phelps is a role model in the sports world for kids, but didn't get the same scrutiny as Vick. He's still making commercials, have endorsements etc. So where do we draw the line? My mom always told me whats good for the goose is good for the gander! We are not Gods!

July 27, 2009 at 7:44 pm |
  14. Charlie Erickson

Taking a joking toke on a bong and torturing and killing dogs, again, are two entirely different things. Don't compare apples to oranges. Don't let celebrity status blind you to the crime. By the way, the Phelps "crime" would be for possession. That picture proved nothing, which is why no official charges could be filed.

Just about everyone deserves a second chance, but not have the same old silver platter handed back to him, almost as if nothing happened.

Charlie.

July 27, 2009 at 8:06 pm |
  15. sandra wooden

Charlie I appreciate your comment but abuse is abuse in any form, just as lot of people put dogs up to fight and roosters are whatever it is still aabuse the animal may die from any of those forms I mentioned but you aree entitled to your belief. thanks for response

sandy

July 27, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  16. Howard

I share my home with a minature schnauzer. I am an animal lover for sure. I am tired of this sanctimonius outcry of non forgivness for Michael Vick when Dante Stallworth spent 23 days in jail for drunk driving and the death of a human being that had a family who will miss him. I guess it's a matter of who wants to see you go down for the crime. I look at the things sportsstars get away with cringe at the message we are sending our youth. If you have enough money, fame, and influential friends, you can kill your pregnant girlfriend, murder your driver, kill people while drunk driving, heck you can kill your exwife and her boyfriend.

July 28, 2009 at 4:59 am |
  17. MarkBench

The guy is a serial dog killer.

If my Cardinals team signed him, I would never be a fan again. Period.

Maybe the Raiders, with their thug rep will take him.

July 28, 2009 at 9:58 am |
  18. MarkBench

Oh! And comparing Vick to other celebrity criminals and their light sentences does not mitigate what the NFL should do.

Yep.....its all about money for the NFL folks.

July 28, 2009 at 10:00 am |
  19. dazeera mourad

Michael Vick is a man who has enjoyed making poor dogs suffer and with his own hands killed inocient dogs. Michael Vick is a saddest. He is discusting ,in my eyes ,and does not for, one minute , diserve to be playing football and making big money. For people that hire him I wish them the worst of luck.

Michael Vick has not shown a true sorrow for what he has done. He has not shown sorrow because he has no feelings of compasion and has no concious for what he has done. He does not know right from wrong.

I would not wipe my shoes on Michael Vick!!!

Dazeera Mourad

July 28, 2009 at 10:26 am |
  20. John Sanchez

I don't agree with the decision of the nfl, my opinion is he already served time in prison for the "wrong" he has done their should not be anymore conditions, he should be able to get on with his career and life. Why is it that so much emphasis was put on vick for his dogfighting but yet there was Steve Mcnair who was married but fooling around with a younger women and got killed but everybody felt sorry for him what about his children and the pscycologic effect that his unfaithfullness will play on them to me that is alot more wrong than someone fighting dogs. Just my opinion

July 28, 2009 at 1:09 pm |
  21. Terri Reid- Las Vegas

Nothing is cruler than the act of torment to a child or animal in this world. Children and Animals are so innocent and can not defend for themselves. They look to adults and trust in all our decision making
    and in return we are given unconditional love forever Michael Vicks acts against these dogs was done in the name of greed. Greed for more money and he indeed was paid enough for his God given talents. I am shocked for his decision he made of such a cruel act against animals. Let him now take the time left in his life not to play football -but to seek forgiveness,truly acknowledge his acts in the past,do some good and then not only may others forgive him but he will be able to forgive himself.

July 28, 2009 at 6:10 pm |
  22. NikkiParks

Woof Woof Woof Woof save me from the evil Human.

July 28, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  23. Randle Moore

I definitely think Michael Vick should’ve been reinstated back into the NFL, in fact, I think he should have been reinstated without conditions. He has paid his debt to society and deserve the respect of returning to what it is he does for a living to provide for his family and himself, playing football. I also think it was tacky and disrespectful of Roger Goodell to reinstate Vick with conditions. The man has paid for his crime. He has been tried before a jury of his peers, sentenced by a judge, and has served his time. I understand that a code of honor is to be implemented and upheld in the NFL, and Roger Goodell should be the first to push for it, but come on, the man has already paid for his crime, as always, leave it up to “Roger Goodell The Great” to punish the man trice for his actions just to prove his authority. Come on, who have we become? A nation of people that don’t trust out system to rehabilitate anymore? Let it rest Goodell.

I also think my home team, The Titans should consider signing Michael Vick. I think he would be a wonderful asset to our organization.

Randle from Nashville

July 28, 2009 at 8:10 pm |
  24. Rick Parker

the incongruity of possibly never playing football again upon Vick's conviction and the commissioner letting him play after time served
    speaks more of not wanting to lose the revenue potential he will undoubtedly raise so all reckoning becomes mute is really just business as usual.

July 29, 2009 at 8:59 am |
  25. marsh

who give them power say whose right and whose wrong they are not a judge or a jury.if you go into their private life youll find something unmoral in thier life. as well ..americans love kicking a person when they are down. thats how they feel they have upper hand-remind you of your faults...

July 29, 2009 at 9:44 am |
  26. ANITA

It breaks my heart to think of all the animals that suffered because of Vick. The NFL is all about $$$$$$$ and they are sending a terrible message to our youth.

July 29, 2009 at 10:39 am |
  27. O.H

Yes!!!!!! he should be allowed to play in the NFL again..he has served his time, learned a valuable lesson...people lets move on. We have more important things such as the economy, and health care reform.

July 29, 2009 at 12:13 pm |
  28. Rob

Vck has done everything he was told that would get his career back, this is all he cares about, back to making millions! Our judicial system sucks and he has taken advantage of it! Saying hes done his time is like OJ saying he did his time! Cruelty to animals is a precursor to serial killing and thats just a fact! He should still be in jail and after he has really served his time then he should be banned from pro sports for life! Tax payers paid his way through life and then through college, enough is enough he blew it!

July 29, 2009 at 12:41 pm |
  29. Charlie Erickson

Rick Parker's right. Money, trumps everything.

Money will buy legislation and voting in your favor.
    Money will influence executive and administrative favor.
    Money will influence judicial behavior and decision making and favor.

Why then shouldn't money influence sports business behavior and decision making?

The little guy and the average Joe/Jane are the ones who get the short end of the stick. What a sham.

To all of those who say Michael Vick is rehabilitated, I ask; How do you know that and by what authority do you make that claim?

Charlie.

July 29, 2009 at 12:56 pm |
  30. THOMAS DAVIS

DON'T LET HIM PLAY.
    IF HE DOES BOYCOT THAT TEAM.

July 29, 2009 at 3:36 pm |
  31. P. Lutz

Vic is a monster. Just because he was caught and sentenced does not mean the issue is resolved. Anyone who would be capable of doing what he did should not be given the opportunity to make an obscene amount of money because he possesses a trivial talent. I say trivial because it is hard to conceive of the value of talent as applied to entertainment or sports.

If only we as a society could value our productive professions half as avidly as we drool over our specious celebrities. It says a great deal about us as a society. Are we really so shallow? I would much prefer to pay millions to the people selflessly engaged in curing disease, fighting the deterioration of our very environment, working on new energy sources, etc., etc.

Preventing Vic from playing football is hardly tantamount to denying him a livlihood Vic can pick up my trash , do landscaping, manual labour, delivering my mail, and the like. Millions of decent, worthwhile Americans perform these services. Why not Vic ? He is certainly not qualified to enter any of the creative or technical professions. Frankly, he is dumb as a stumb ( many sports analysts say he couldn't memorize a complicated play if his life depended on it ) and should be happy with any of the thousands of jobs now being performed by millions of decent Americans.

July 30, 2009 at 7:55 am |
  32. scotte

I believe the commissioner and team owners have conspired to keep Vick out. In public he's been allowed to return, behing closed doors, no team is going to hire him.

July 30, 2009 at 11:30 am |
  33. david

U can not put him in the NFL because of the role model kids make these players today. So what kind of role model in Vick, not a good at this time maybe 3 years down the road yes. I dont want my kids to look at the criminal as a role model. So off with his Nfl career.

July 30, 2009 at 1:08 pm |
  34. Yolanda

Yes, he has done his time–that is behind him-he should be charged over and over again- this is what goes on in the black community–once time is served that is it-what they are doing is double jeopardy--People please pay attention because if we except them punishing him over an over again that means that it is okay for the system to do it to our children-now if we want change we must stand against this –if the NFL suspends him we should stop watching and the other players should stand against this--this is what we are fighting against--CHANGE IS WHAT WE NEED-OVER HALF OF THE NFL IS BLACK–WE MUST MAKE A STATEMENT OR OUR CHILDREN WILL FOR EVER DEAL WITH THIS TYPE OF RACISM–HE HAS DONE HIS TIME LOST EVERYTHING WHAT MORE CAN THEY TAKE FROM THIS MAN–LEAVE HIM ALONE-THEY HALF REINSTATED MURDERS–WAS EVEN CONSIDERING PUT A PERSON THAT BET ON THE GAME IN THE HALL OF FAME--

July 30, 2009 at 1:48 pm |
  35. Mitch Dworkin - Dallas, Texas

I connot tell if Michael Vick is being truly sincere by working for the Humane Society or if he is just trying to do and say the right things only to have better chances of getting back into the NFL so he can make a lot money even if he gets the league minimum.

What I think that is important to remember is that playing football in the NFL is not a right that Vick is entitled to, it is a privilege that should have to be earned and deserved. Michael Vick in my very strong opinion has forfeited any opportunity of being able to play in the NFL again because of inhumane behavior to animals.

If Vick is truly sincere, then he will work for the Humane Society out of conviction expecting nothing in return because it is something that he really wants to do. If Vick is allowed to play in the NFL again, then there will always be some doubt that he is just using the Humane Society as a photo-op to get back into the NFL so he make a lot more money than he can doing anything else now.

Michael Vick is very lucky that he did not serve much more time in prison for the horrible crimes against life that he is guilty of. If I was able to pass judgment on Michael Vick, then he would think that Guantánamo Bay was a hotel resort in a very short period of time after I got through with him!

I am very upset with Roger Goodell and the NFL for allowing Michael Vick back in. I hope that no football team is stupid enough to give Vick a contract because I will never watch that team even if they are in the Superbowl and I will definitely boycott any products that Vick’s team advertises along with their sponsors. My decision is absolutely firm and it will never change under any circumstances!

Mitch Dworkin

August 1, 2009 at 3:07 pm |
  36. J. Yates

I don't agree with NFL decision, I don't think he should ever be able to play professionally again.

August 1, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  37. Debra Campbell

Are you "Vick Lovers" kidding me? This man doesn't have a conscience, nor the ability to reform or repent. Any person who would allow and "support" the torture that he subject those dogs to, should never be able to profit again.

We taxpayers, as earlier noted...have paid this guys way his whole life. Instead of utilizing his talent and giving back, he maintained and supported a sadistic social lifestyle.

The television world should repeat the footage of Vick's abuse to these animals, and maybe it wouldn't be so easy for people to forget what kind of person he truly is. This man had his chance and abused all that it entailed.

August 3, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  38. Yolanda

I would like to ask every one that is saying that he shouldnt get another chance-what happens to you you know the one in the mirror–when you make a decision that is wrong then get caught –dont you want forgiveness-God doesnt hold it against you! Think about that before you say that he doesnt deserves another chance take a living. People so what these people are stars they make mistakes as well–same as you, I, preachers-we all live in sin-we do the best that we can to do better-Jugde noone unless you are ready te from behind these words and reveal your life.

August 4, 2009 at 2:58 am |
  39. robyn caffrey keyser west virgina 26726

att fredricka

Ya know. I wouldnt waist money and time getting tested for the swine flu.
    I know my body and when i have all the signs,( to me ), its just another really bad cold.

Heading in the flu direction, I will be more alert about this now.

You were also talking about who gets the shot when it comes out !
    You said babies and pregnant women are first in line. ( i always thought babies from newborn ' to 6 months ' are immuned to all kinds of colds. I was told years ago baby's have no immune system for 6 months.

August 7, 2009 at 10:44 am |
  40. ELOIS BURRIS

ENOUGHT ALREADY...Vick went to prison, did his time, and that should be it. when hard core criminal go to jail they are rehabilitated to go to out and find a job.They are not told to go out and find a job, but you can't make millions..no. Vick now has a job. So leave him alone,. there was a woman in Virginia who stabbed her Polo Playing boyfriend in her kitchen. (did not serve one day in jail), a white house official shot a persion on a hunting trip "ACCIDENT" but never was charged.,and as far as the animals rights group who seem to be complaint according to your news... Well I say this pull randomly anyone individual from that group, and ask them do they eat meat? I'll bet they do. MEAT comes from animals, they have to be killed . steaks,burgers/ u name it. so unless they are complete veggie eaters. Please shut up the whinning, and find another cause. I am not the only viewer that feels this way, but again enough already.

August 14, 2009 at 9:12 am |
  41. Michael Wynter, Jr

Those who have ccondemned Michael Vick and others who make mistakes forget one of the most important and well-known verses/tenets in the Bible by which they supposedly live: John 8:7: If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her."

August 14, 2009 at 12:20 pm |
  42. K. Clarke

This is the first time I've participated in a blog, but I'm so OUTRAGED that I have to voice my opinion. I am no fan of football, know very little about Michael Vick, I love and have owned dogs and don't approve of cruelty to animals. But enough is enough, leave Michael Vick alone! When this came up in the news again, I took a look at the whole situation again, listened to his interview on 60 minutes where he expressed his remorse, and learned about his "conditional" return to the NFL.
    My reaction: Pure DISGUST! It was as if I were looking at a black male slave (hat in hand) responding to his white owner and saying what the person in power wants him to say (I'm not saying he isn't regretful). Note: I'm the last person who would cry racism, but this is my gut reaction.
    I'm truly amazed that he was given prison time for his cruelty to animals. I'm curious whether anyone has ever been imprisoned for this type of activity. He has done his time, so now why the strings for returning to the NFL? What does his crime have to do with playing football? No need to respond to that question.
    Michael Vick definitely needed to have his coattail pulled about the dog cruelty. A 2 year prison sentence should have definitely done that and satisfied all those who desired to "put him in his place". If the desired result was rehabilitation, then his time in prison should have provided that. Was he offered any counseling during those 2 years?

August 14, 2009 at 3:32 pm |
  43. phil davis

michael vick lives for money. he is selfish selfcentered man. the philadephia eagles and all nfl teams live for money...seven million to a non spirtual human being...i have not heard michael vick nor the philadephia eagles say anything about helping with money to be an
    ambassador for the well being of animals. but again worldly people don.t think in those terms...maybe michael needs to learn about being
    humble.

August 14, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  44. Yolanda

K. Clarke
    I just want to say that I agree with you 100%. That was put so beautifully. That is what I said in my response as well. The thing about it is how hypocritical black people are. The know that this is double jeaopardy. This is the same type of things that happens in the hood why our brothers, cousins, friends and fathers cant get a fair chance, bc once they have done their time they have to do it over and over and over again. Still never getting a fair opportunity. I cant believe that we didnt boycott the NFL. This was the perfect time to stand it has nothing to do with Vick and everything to due with what is right. If we want to Change the Wrong we need to not watch or participate in the NFL gaming and other money making ventures. To make a statement to all companys that they are not God. That once a person has done their time they need to be able to make a living.

Listen to all of these none forgiving people saying that Vick shouldnt be able to earn a living. These are the same people that cant forgive themselves for something that the have done in their lives-or are just like us begging God to forgive us for our sins. Cut it out! Gof hears out hearts and read out words. What if you couldnt make a living bc you did something! I wonder what avenue would you turn to to provide for your family! Crime

August 16, 2009 at 3:10 am |
  45. Brad

Dog fighters force dogs to fight hours, and hours until death. It is pure torture for these dogs. Now, I agree Michael Vick has done his time, and so did I when I was convicted of drug possession. What I didn't get right out of prison was my job back. I had to do some things like complete parole, stay off drugs, and do my community service before people considered me for employment. I think Michael Vick should have to do the same w/o the offer of some big contract to strive for. How are the general public suppose to know if he is doing it for the money, or because he is truly remorseful. We will never know now, but I do know that I believe in redemption even though what he did disgusts me, we all deserve a second chance.

December 12, 2009 at 5:08 pm |
  46. Yolanda

Man there are alot of hateful vengenful people on this site-I wonder if you all would feel the same if it were one of your family members-even if u love animals you shouldnt want this man to stay in jail and be able to provide for his family-God, our parent, our family, the law our animals, and even ourselves has forgiven us for things that we have done–so think about that before you say some of the things that you all say about people. We are all human remember that just bc we cant see your errors doesnt mean that you cant-this is why the world is so cruel bc people dont think about what we have had to ask for forgiveness for b4 passing judgement

December 15, 2009 at 3:35 am |