Today on CNN Newsroom

July 29th, 2009

The 30 Second Pitch:hero looking for work

Live handed a fired produce manager lemons, so we're trying to help him make lemonade.

The man tracked down a purse snatcher that struck a customer and he ended up losing his job at a grocery store near Austin, Texas.

Check out Troy Schafer's interview with Kyra Phillips and if you have a job for him, e-mail him at: jobsfortroy@yahoo.com

The president of Randalls Food Market sent us a statement today about firing Troy Schafer. Tom Schwilke said in part, "We simply are not willing to put our employees or customers at risk by encouraging or allowing pursuits or violent confrontations... We understand the impulse to help and the intensity of the moment, but we also understand how very easily this could have ended tragically."

1. David H.

If I were president of Randall Foods I would have thrown the book out the door and hung a medal on Troy. Maybe we need a few more people willing to do the right thing. I stand behind Troy on this one. It did not turn out badly and the only tragidy is that the Corp way gets in the way once again.

July 29, 2009 at 9:01 pm |
  2. Charlie Erickson

Now here's a guy who deserves a medal, a job, an apology, a year's worth of free produce for his family, and who knows, maybe even a book deal; whereas so many others get these things, but don't deserve them.

Charlie.

July 29, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  3. Larry

Sounds like Tom Schwilke doesn't have a clue how to do the right thing.

July 30, 2009 at 3:24 am |
  4. Mrs. Eileen Curras widow to Hernandez (WWII)

Unfortunately it will take a lot of messages and work to make the Randall Foods their mind and their ways. The reality that there will no be an organization to support this person. I hope he gets another job but certainly this situation does not promote an idea for society to get involve in the future. I wonder what will be the opinion of the local police or the dignitaries and the recent private figure George Bush. Encouraging people to not do anything certainly has killed the accountability bird. I hope that Mr. Troy Schafer’s will find a job and that he will continue to be the same responsible person. His Mom will be proud of him. I am proud of him too.

July 30, 2009 at 8:07 am |
  5. Stacey

Amen David H! I live down the street from this particular Randall's store and I always hated the store. This gives me a further reason to not shop there! Troy Schafer deserves a medal and great big thank you for going above and beyond his job by trying to help nab this creep!

July 30, 2009 at 10:32 am |
  6. Chuck, NW Arkansas

This sounds like another “No good deed goes unpunished” scenario.
    It resembles the case of the woman who called 911 to report a possible break-in at Prof. Gates' home and was branded as a racist. It also reminds me of the two border patrol agents, Ignacio Ramos and Jose Compean, who were only doing their duty but received over a decade of jail time for attempting to arrest a drug smuggler.
    I myself was attacked by a convicted felon after I reported him committing yet another felony, but because I was the victor in the altercation, the police took his word that I had attacked him — even though both officers were aware of his past crimes.
    It sounds as if criminals are being given the upper hand by this social policy when we are discouraged from reporting or attempting to stop crimes.

July 30, 2009 at 1:03 pm |
  7. Laurie

That Troy was fired for getting involved in this is an OUTRAGE!!! In most (if not all) states, not getting involved when witnessing a crime is ILLEGAL! If he had not done anything, he could have been arrested for standing by and "allowing" this crime to be committed. Would Randalls not have done anything if the theft had been of their own store products on their own store shelves? If think not!!! To not come to the aid of one of Randalls own customers shows the lack of ethics on the part of this company's management.

Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, should boycott Troy's former employer, Randalls Food Market, as well as flood Randalls with emails regarding this outlandish firing.

If I were the woman whose purse had been snatched while shopping in Randalls establishment, I would be forever grateful to this courageous man. Thank you Troy for being an exemplary citizen of this wonderful country!

July 30, 2009 at 1:08 pm |
  8. michael armstrong sr.

I always herd that cime dos'nt pay it look's like that being an upstanding citizen dos'nt pay either .

July 30, 2009 at 2:24 pm |
  9. Dave Severance

Kyra,
    I'm not so sure this is any different from when years ago a teacher would find students passing notes in class to each other and the teacher would intercept the note and read it to the class. This was acceptable and no one sued the teacher for it.

July 30, 2009 at 2:33 pm |
  10. Francis

Dina Ruiz from KSBW an NBC affiliate that broadcasts out of Salinas
    and she was the evening news anchor at one point with the the TV station.

July 30, 2009 at 2:45 pm |
  11. Sharon

I know of a some health care workers that were fired for reporting abuse and neglect in a nursing home. One incident that lead to a death of an innocent elderly woman. The president of the company was notiifed of many incidents and the one reporting it was asked to leave the premises 2 days later. Hmmmm.....where is the justice. And those in charge are still employeed.

July 30, 2009 at 2:52 pm |
  12. Tammy L.

I stand 100% behind Troy. He is a real hero in a world where few people even care. Randall Foods' position of "doing nothing" may be the proper response when the "bad guys" are still in the store, for the safety of all, but the thief had already left the store, and that is a completely different issue. Troy's actions in no way could have harmed the customers or other employees of the store. He not only gave the woman who was robbed a gift, but he also gave the store and entire community a gift by getting that thief off of the streets! And, had Troy even clocked back in from his lunch break yet? If not, Randall Foods' really has no business telling Troy what he can/cannot do. He was on his OWN time! Thanks Troy for your bravery and compassion. I'm sure you'll be offered a much better job very soon. You will be a blessing for any business! Oh, yes, I'm sure your mother is looking down at you and is extremely proud of her son!!

July 30, 2009 at 2:53 pm |
  13. Jan, Norway

There are no Randall Food shops in Norway, where I live, but if there were 100% boycott. Hope no Americans buy anything before Randall have sacked the right persons – those who are responsible for this outrageous desicion!

July 30, 2009 at 3:46 pm |
  14. Charles Walker

I cannot believe that Troy got fired over what most people in America would consider to be a selfless act of bravery! Lets not forget he didnt even think twice about putting his own life at risk to help his fellow man when most cowardless people would have turned the other way! This man is hero and shouldnt have to be looking for another job, yet he is and i hope that some lucky employer will be fortunate to bring him aboard! This is an outright travesty and hope that Randell foods will be held to accountabliity for this unjust firing! Love you Troy! Better things to come in your future!

July 31, 2009 at 1:17 am |
  15. DrSue

First of all, THANK YOU for your military service! It is because of you that we live in the greatest nation in the world!!!

Secondly, Randall's should be proud to have employees like you. What about all the talk of "we love our customers". Doesn't sound like they love them that much. Also, I understand he was on his lunch period, not technically clocked in. At that point he was an off duty employee, and the same as any other shopper. If he wants to, he could file a wrongful termination lawsuit, and easily win.
    What has happened to our country that criminals get away while upright citizens are being punished? Things are seriously wrong in this country, and unfortunately, it doesn't look like they're gonna get any better any time soon without some serious work!

July 31, 2009 at 2:19 pm |
  16. Diana Duncan

Hi, Troy my name is as listed above, I am a very good friend of your sister sara (smile) !!!!! I live here in SacTowne I am a member of A.A. and i had the pleasure to meet your sister a few years ago when we met at a detox. I am most happy to be apart of such a wonderful young lady sara is. I was very concerned when I saw you on the cnn at first but your story is quite wonderful and i would like to thank you for such a heroic act of kindness, Troy puttin not only yourself on the line but then ton around and lose your job behind. BULLPUCKY i wished that I could be of some asssistance to you but I am a single mother of 6 and sir i must say that i am struggling at the present. I know that you are probably going to think that i am slighly forward but sara has been residing with me for awhile and she sends her LOVE she is doing well, Troy. I hope to hear from you soon sir and good luck on the job thing. Sincerely Diana and Sara and Anjannae, Taea, Jalen, Jordan, Keshon, and Robert.

August 8, 2009 at 7:13 am |
  17. Nicole Burns

I would like to be a part of the 30 second pitch as well. I have B.A. in English and I am currently working on my M.ed in higher education. I am trying to get a job at college/university. Since graduating in 2006 I have literally applied for well over 1500+ jobs, either being told I was over qualified, under qualified or not even receiving a response in return. I now have a 9 month old and my fiance and I are trying to buy a house and as a mother I feel absolutely useless because I can't find a job to even buy my baby diapers. I am fluent in Spanish and currently working on Arabic and Chinese. I was an assistant teacher for an elementary aged autistic class but that ended over the summer. All I need is a little bit of hope to make me smile. Because right now I have none.

August 10, 2009 at 3:00 pm |