Today on CNN Newsroom

July 30th, 2009

Pregnant women & swine flu.

A new study shows pregnant women are four times more likely to suffer from the complications of swine flu. When a vaccine comes out this fall, pregnant women will be at the top of the list to get the shot – but will they want it? CNN Senior Medical Correspondent Elizabeth Cohen has this report.

Filed under: Daily Dose • Heidi Collins
  1. Tomasz

Greetings:

Vaccinations are harmful and toxic.

Has anyone considered what's in vaccinations?

There are heavy metals that kill nerve cells.
    There are animal biproducts that activate an immune response in humans where white blood cells eat healthy body cells.

July 30, 2009 at 7:37 pm |
  2. George F. Peloquin

Hello Heidi,
    Thank you for offering a sounding board for the military. I respect and honor all our servicemen in combat and not.

With limited space to project my feelings of the VA, I will keep this in a condensed form. I am a Vietnam Veteran. I have two lung conditions. I have completed the numerous pages of required paperwork on two occasions for Agent Orange Disability. Both times I did not get a reply. I have been treated at the VA Medical Hospital in Fayetteville, NC. Iwas assigned a primary doctor. He left. Got another. He left. The third after much questioning and exams advised me that he wanted to begin treatment foe PTSD. He assigned me a Psychologist. Met with her for a while. Then she left. I was assigned another Psychologist. This guy is nuttier than I am.
    My precise reason for this note:
    I am PAYING for services at the VA facility. Yes. Charged for services. The VA includes spousal income when considering charges. I would qualify on my own income. But together doesn't fit. GEE. I don't recall my wife in the bunkers of my compound when getting shelled. Didn't see her on night perimeter guard duty. She was not in my helicopter shooting out the door at people. No. That was ME. The Veteran.
    Hope you have read this. There are many injustices from that era. I am happy to see that the troops today are honored for their service and their sacrifice.
    Thanks for reading,
    George F.Peloquin

July 30, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  3. Charlie Erickson

Greetings:

So are viral and bacterial diseases, Tomasz.

I get the flu shot every year, and the pneumococcus shot every five years, without hesitation. I might hesitate though, on the live/weakened nasal vaccine. I guess I'll get two flu shots this year.

There are so many things that can potentially go wrong in any given pregnancy. Why add another huge one to them?

Are you sure you're not a doctor, Elizabeth? You do great work.

Charlie.

July 31, 2009 at 1:59 am |
  4. Mrs. Eileen Curras widow to Hernandez (WWII)

I am happy that finally a new study had show that pregnant women are four times more likely to suffer from the complications of swine flu. What can be done to prevent it? How much long we have to wait for the vaccine? or Does same thing happen with the Health Care Insurance will happen? Something has to done to bring the common sense to this and other topics. We cannot use the excuse of Politics as Always. Many pregnant women had died in Puerto Rico with the swine flu. What exactly will be done? Seems that it will be a long time before pregnant women will have chance to be on the top of the list to get the shot? Will it be safe or just another case as Mr. Michael Jackson death or an excuse on the science? I believe that the question of will they want it? Is is not the right one Mrs. Elizabeth Cohen the question is will it be safe. Who can assure that answer?

July 31, 2009 at 7:03 am |
  5. Mrs. Eileen Curras widow to Hernandez (WWII)

Greetings Tomasz:
    You suggest that vaccinations are harmful and toxic. What do you suggest? Where can we learn that are vaccinations are heavy metals that kill nerve cells? Where we can learn that there are animal biproducts that activate an immune response in humans where white blood cells eat healthy body cells? Where would we be no without vaccinations? We have to come up with better lines as the scare tactics.

July 31, 2009 at 7:09 am |
  6. Larry

New study? What study?

How many pregnant women have even been infected by the swine flu? Has it been enough to do a real "study"?

For all the hype over swing flu it seems to have all the toxicity of a common cold. I've seen more infections and fatalities in a normal flu season.

July 31, 2009 at 7:30 am |
  7. Sarah

With the new GI Bill it would be nice to allow it to pay for our previous loan before we came into the military. I know that I used some of the GI bill back in 2002 and it didnt cover all my loans and know I am still paying for them but I am back in the military and I am covered under the new ruled of Sept 11,2001. I know that would help out alot of soldiers. They should look into doing that.

July 31, 2009 at 9:59 am |
  8. Carol B

Interesting you think $208 is exorbitant. We pay $600 per month with $10,000 deductibles each and haven't seen a doctor in over 20 years.

My son has $1500 deductibles per person, for his family of three and pays $388 a month after taxes because his company does not cover them. The cost of the birth of his child was $13,000 AFTER insurance paid. It nearly bankrupted them.

I am not sure what happy land people live in who have insurance paid for them, but it is not anything close to reality in the marketplace for the rest of us.

July 31, 2009 at 10:09 am |
  9. Dr. Vickie Parsons

Sanjay obviously has not read the actual house legislation on health care. Please check out Division A, Title I, Section 102 & you will see that your private health insurance plan will go out of business if this bill becomes law. So, you will have to be part of a socialized government run health insurance system if this bill is passed. It will take a few years but it will happen ... READ the BILL!

July 31, 2009 at 10:12 am |
  10. Mike M.

After spending nine long months as an 18 year old Marine machine gunner in the Vietnam conflict, I spent almost another full year in a Naval hospital recovering from visual wounds. It's the wounds of memory that still haunt me to this day. If it wasn't for many years of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder help from the VA and working the program, I may not have been here leaving my comment for you to read. I am a great proponent of the VA system and what it all has done for me.
    I cannot stress enough how important it is to discharged combat veterans that they get into the VA system immediately. The wheels of government do turn slowly and resgistering sooner than later will eleviate the panic of trying to get help when there is no data on the returning veteran.
    Mike M.
    Mike M.

July 31, 2009 at 10:13 am |
  11. FRANCISCO DIDOMENICO

i HEARD THIS MORNING ABOUT THE NEW gi BILL, i WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THIS MEANS THAT MY DAUGHTER COULD GO TO SCHOOL ON MY BILL?? iF SO WHERE COULD i GET INFORMATION ABOUT HOW TO GO ABOUT GETTING HER ENROLLED. i AM A wORLD wAR 2 VET. tHANK YOU FOR ANY ASSISTANCE THAT YOU COULD GIVE ME. FRANCISCO dIdOMENICO

July 31, 2009 at 10:13 am |
  12. Rich K

Hi. heidi Great job on PTSD, but could asked one of these Drs. what is the long term health effect of PTSD there are many as I know as a vietnam vet with PTSD. Thanks again Great show.

July 31, 2009 at 10:57 am |
  13. Lenore

I would like to know if the Lt Col's wife is receiving full widow's benefits from the military since her husbands death?

July 31, 2009 at 11:01 am |
  14. David

Good morning Heidi, I think the safety of the new vaccine for swine flu and the safety of the vaccine previously developed (during the swine flu outbreak in the 1970's) should be compared if possible. Is the swine flu going to be an epidemic or pandemic in the coming months? Re where things stand with the vaccine, a million some vaccines to begin with, but when does the rest of the vaccine production kick in? How long till there are considered to be enough?

I guess from a previous blog article that testing of vaccines is ongoing at this point. Is that so?

July 31, 2009 at 2:52 pm |
  15. David

Heidi,

It truly would be nice to have dialogue, extended dialogue on all the aspects of healthcare reform, covering the whole of how private insurance will be impacted and how the public option will work for the public and for employers. There are some intricate one could say almost intimate details to get into and it would be nice to see graphics during the back and forth that are not just flashed on the screen but are up long enough to be read and considered. Probably a good time for this as congress is in recess and there's time to go through all the plans, pts of view, and maybe play a bit of catch-up as congress has been going full steam. Just a suggestion.

Excellent report on the swine flu and how it can affect pregnant women. If there are a limit number of vaccines, what will be the CDC's strategy for dealing with a possible widespread outbreak?

August 2, 2009 at 3:59 pm |
  16. Patsy O'Dell

Like so many Americans, I am very disillusioned by Obama's deception. Each new day reveals more and more of his defaulting from his campaign promises. So much for his lofty promise of CHANGE!!!!

August 3, 2009 at 9:18 am |
  17. David

Good morning Heidi,

Re my previous post.

Just saying it would be nice to hold a public discussion before we drift to another focus in the news.

Good to hear you talking about this.

August 3, 2009 at 10:28 am |
  18. rita brand

I'm all for health care. It's long overdue. Those who are trying to stifle the discussion are being fueled by distortions, fear-mongering and lies. I have friends/relatives in Canada and England...no complaints from them on their health care. Thanks. Rita

August 10, 2009 at 9:35 am |
  19. Rick Drummond

The democratic process needs discussion and not shouting down. The media personalities encourage the braking down of the democratic discourse. They act as they don't see what is happening. To give coverage for statements with no truth behind it, by the so called indepenent media is beyond me.

August 10, 2009 at 9:39 am |
  20. Travis Burpo

I'm 71 years old, live on a fixed income, and do not have private health insurance. But the last thing I want is Government-run health care in my USA. Socialism, in any form, is a cancer on society. History has proven that, In every way, socialism (including socialized health care) will inhibit the growth, prosperity, initiative and freedom of the people it is imposed on.
    Good health care is intended to prolong a happy and productive life of people. In the case of government-run health care it has been proven to increase pain and suffering and shorten the happy and productive life of its "victims". Proponents say Government-run health care is cheaper and better for people; but none can demonstrate that result in any country where it has, or is being tried.
    Yet, some in my country's congress are pushing Obama's health care plan.
    My question is; are they stupid or simply sick with visions of power. In either case, let's vote every one of them who vote for it out of office.
    Travis

August 10, 2009 at 9:50 am |
  21. Adrienne Bohnenkamp

Personally, I like my health care just fine. However, I think it is wrong that we have so many uninsured people in this country. I really would like to have a new dialogue on how we can make things better. Thinking outside the box. If you have a pre-existing condition, concerns when your child is removed from your current health care policy, if you go past your maximum allowable, availability of affordable health care. How can we deal with these? With so many people yelling at these meetings how can a dialogue take place?

August 10, 2009 at 10:10 am |
  22. Paul

Heidi,
    If this health care plan is such a great item for the American public, why has Congress excluded themselves from it? Why not use the Federal Employee Health Benefits Plan as the model for the public?

The truth is, simply politics and apathy. They have been in office way too long for the majority of Congress and they have forgotten they are not there to just waste money. Though tax and spend is a guaranteed Democratic Party plan, no matter who the President is.

Take care and be safe
    pfb

August 10, 2009 at 10:11 am |
  23. Tom Williams

I think it is awful the way CNN and other news operations are highlighting only the outbursts at Healthcare town halls, and not giving us any of the questions and answers to digest. It seems the disruptions are more newsworthy than the responses from the keynote speakers. I, for one, would like to hear some "new" answers from some of these politicians, but it seems to me that people are getting angrier and angrier at the fact that there are no workable solutions being offered up.

I have had my Medical situation drastically altered in the state of California over the last few months, and Calworks benefits cut off completely. It is my belief that the infamous "Chicago Plan", which calls for a complete breakdown of the current system to force a rebuild, is being forced down our throats. My small business has folded, my sister and fiancee have both lost a good portion of their Social Security benefits, and we all now live together in a Hotel Room as part of the growing number of "Middle Class Homeless" in California.

If this is supposed to be "Change" we can believe in, let me say unequivocably that "We Don't Believe!"

Give us the meat and potatoes of the healthcare and other issues, instead of the "Green" arguments and putdowns on "disruptors". To me, especially in California,... Green has always meant "Naive and Inexperienced", and the current administration is only proving this to be true.

It is not un-American to speak out when you feel you are being duped!

Thaniks,
    Tom W.

August 10, 2009 at 10:50 am |
  24. rhonda carlson

Sadly, I think that I'm pretty typical. I'm a single mom and work three jobs...none of which provide health care. My ex-husband's health insurance policy is expensive, and the company is so bad about paying, most doctors in the area will no longer accept it (and, yes, it is a major carrier.) I pay approximately $1000 for myself and my two daughters for a $5000 deductable policy. And, of course, that doesn't cover eye or dental. That essentially means that none of us can afford to get sick. My daughter's college physical cost what little savings I had left. I just want affordable and reasonable health insurance, especially for my children. I don't understand why the Republicans are so afraid of a large, powerful, centralized government program. They seem to have no problem with a large, powerful, centralized corporate one.

August 10, 2009 at 10:52 am |
  25. Alexander

Heidi,
    I am a healthy 38 year old male. I visit my doctor for 15 minutes once a year. My monthly premiums are over $400 and I just lost my job, which only covered 20% of the premiums anyway.

I don't know why everyone is complaining about having to pay for government healthcare. We are all already subsidizing emergency room visits for uninsured people who can not afford preventative care, extraordinary heroic medicine for the last week of life, and massive insurance company payrolls.

Let's get back to the basics: reimburse doctors for preventative medicine, make sure everyone is insured, and fund local clinics that can serve many of the basic needs of our citizens.

Thanks,
    Alexander
    New York, NY

August 10, 2009 at 11:02 am |
  26. Shannon

Everytime I turn on the TV all I hear is basically fear of change and a clear voice from citizens about the oh mighty me, myself, and I. What happened folks? When did healthcare become run for profit?? Think about it, there are some kinds of services that have absolutely no business in the so called free markets. Healthcare is one of those kind of services. Should some citizens be allowed to have healthcare just because they can finacially afford the bloated prices? NOOOO Do you work because I sure do and no matter how hard I try to get ahead I cannot. And after paying those premiums I still have to pay at the doctors office, plus a percentage for any and all services, and then prescriptions after that.

It is rediculous how much it costs to see a doctor. Reform has been needed since the 1960's but where has it been. I want to know why any president or member of congress has not pushed this through. I personally am sick and tired of bailing out the rich of this country so that my grand children and great children can pay off their debts for acting with malicous business deals. Don't tell me that these people did not know what could possibly happen to the people.

Fixes: I say we fire all of congress, yes that is right all of them. Put laws in place that do not allow Lobbyist on the hill. Thats right. Why, because these people are voted in to do the bidding of the people not the large corporations!! However, their votes are tainted because of all the money they recieve for voting in the interest of the lobbyist. So tell me Americans where is the domocracy in that process? It is gone to pure and simple corruption and we the people are standing by letting it happen. Some services are just not meant to be in the so called free markets!! Oh and by the way, do the research!!! Markets are never never free when monopoly's exist!!! So tell me how it is that we have free markets.

August 10, 2009 at 11:03 am |
  27. ESTHER ESPINOSA

My husband & I retired at 62. We tried to carry the cobra health insurance but eventually had to stop because it was costing $900/month and with $2,400/month social security income we had to decide between keeping a roof over our heads or a health insurance plan. We need to start by regulating/taxing insurance companies. They charge exhorbitant premiums, cover as little as possible, denny coverage for preexisting conditions; in other words, they do what they please, not to mention their executives' salaries. Another suggestion to help fund healthcare for every US citizen: Freeze salaries to our congress/senate members, since they are not looking out for US citizens who pay their salaries but for their own special interests.

August 10, 2009 at 11:26 am |
  28. David

Adrienne Bohnenkamp, I agree. People are overcome with emotion and there is not enough sifting through of information about the things you mentioned and myriad other serious questions. Peruse just a few of the posts on these blogs and you will see that people have complex and detailed knowledge about the healthcare system. It's one thing that people talk about freely with eachother so the information sharing is extensive and widespread. So a to the point, informative discussion is possible, and I would venture to say that almost everyone is perpared to participate in that discussion.

Also I think a gap of dialogue allows problems in the healthcare system and problems with the legislation to get intensified when just a little communication would relieve the tension. I hope the upset people at the town halls are in fact listening to some of the answers and the whole thing is not an exercise in parry and thrust.

We can make things better, but it does take a back and forth conversation. I hope we have one, or such a communication comes about soon. I would be thrilled about that.

August 12, 2009 at 11:57 am |