Today on CNN Newsroom

July 31st, 2009

Cheerleader Sues Coach For Facebook Foul

We got a TON of tweets on this story, after Kyra's live interview with student/plaintiff Mandi Jackson. Opinion was pretty evenly split, too. Have a look and see what you think - and as always, free free to post a comment below!

1. William Mack

One hundred million? B. Madoff was in the wrong business.

July 31, 2009 at 6:05 pm |
  2. Mike

While this case is outrageous, I don't think it's worth $100,000,000. However, I do feel that the coach should be fired.

August 1, 2009 at 12:39 am |
  3. John Doe

This is ridiculous. I went to this highschool, so forgive the John Doe name. I graduated 1 year ago (2008), and I understand what the coach did. Every extracurricular activity at Pearl has its own unique rules, and each of these activities expect the member to be a good example of how Pearl is. I was in band and our band director kept a close eye on everything that we put up on our Facebook accounts. No, he never got our passwords, and No, he never read our personal e-mails, but he did make sure that everything that we put out for the public eye to see was a show of good character. He never wanted anyone to hear something vulgar we said or see something vulgar we do and then have that incident make other people look down on Pearl itself. The cheerleader coach is the same way. Yes, it was a private e-mail but if this girl was using profanity in her e-mails, what would she be walking around doing?? Especially since in this e-mail it sounds like she was bad mouthing one of the senior cheerleaders in her own squad (probably the real reason the coach suspended her from cheering at games and pep rallies) In no way, shape, or form did this coach walk around this school trying to humiliate this girl, nor did she disclose the content of this e-mail to any students. My band director got on to me plenty of times asking me to remove items or change a status message on my Facebook, and I am sure he showed this to the assistant directors as well, so I am pretty sure the cheeerleading coach showed this e-mail to the principals or some other figure of the school and decided the best course of action. It is close to the same as if Mandi was bad mouthing this girl, using profane language, in public and the coach heard her. As far as I know every student has to sign some sort of agreement for the extra curricular activity they join, so this could have even been part of that. Even though the coach probably over stepped her authority, it can be handled in a much better way, and not in some ridiculous fight over a 100 million dollar e-mail.

August 1, 2009 at 12:48 am |
  4. Rodney Hytonen

The public has seen through this farce and overwhelmingly called for a Single Payer Option – as acknowledged by Nancy Pelosi and the Progressive Democrats in the House.

I believe it's the realization of Industry Lobbying Dollars having actually overpowered and dominated the Senate Finance Committee, that broke the Camel's back. The portents there are truly frightening regarding the ethics of our government.

"Co-ops" – like "Gateways," "Exchanges," and "Trigger," are nothing more or less than an attempt by Big Insurance to forestall a National Health Care plan.

They would eliminmate any economy of scale, and as proven in MA and VT, are very easy to corrupt, monopolize, and bankrupt; using the current Insurance Industry's National M.O. to keep premiums high.

Only a Single Payer Option – I said, "Option"- as in France, will provide the economy of scale, and totally nonprofit elements, absolutely necessary for true cost reduction. France and many others prove that the nation's Insurance Industry can even survive a National Health Care System with a Single Payer Option.

Regardless of the size of the "Pool," no for-profit providers will ever negotiate anything like the drastic premium and policy reductions desperately needed in this overpriced and obsolete Industry.

No businessman will negotiate himself out of business – or even out of a penny of profit.

August 1, 2009 at 4:01 pm |
  5. thane

I think school should pay. It's the onlyway to get justice in America.

August 2, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  6. Jerry

I attend Pearl High School also and of course Jerry is not my name. I will be a senior this year. I think this is one of the most outrageous things I've ever heard. I understand were Mandi is coming from, but $100,000,000? That is ridiculous. Also, they're making the coach sound like a cruel woman. She has to be one of the nicest teachers there. I do believe she made a mistake by asking for passwords, but it isn't worth one hundred million dollars. I agree with John Doe 100%.

August 3, 2009 at 4:04 am |
  7. paul

Not enough info was really given to form a good impression. How was she "humiliated"? If you tell a teenager "no you cannot do that" they say they were "humiliated". One of the big problems in schools is that parents are NOT doing their jobs. Would these parents have known about the language without the teacher/coach. This is not federal. In case everyone forgot, nothing is private on the Internet.

August 4, 2009 at 5:07 pm |
  8. :)

I also attend PHS. Never wanted to comment on it, but the more I hear, the more it's ridiculous. All I'm going to say is she put this upon herself. You should never put such foolishness on Facebook. Although ... it was through message where nobody can see but her and the person receiving the message, you still have to be aware of hackers and just errors that can occur. Also, if you feel uncomfortable a teacher asking for your password, why on God's green earth are you going to sit there and give it to somebody? Afraid she's going to punish you? That's why you tell a school official above the teacher. Why wait two years? Why so much money? Money, teachers probably wouldn't make altogether in twenty years of teaching. Why all the media? Nobody cares. People go through much worse in high school and never complain, never sue, and they're doing just fine. I've had teachers HONESTLY do much worse and as much as it has peeved me, I stayed strong and dealt with it. WHY? Because it's one person. I wasn't going to let one person ruin me. I've worked too hard in school and gone through so much at home and at school that is bigger than this, and I'm an honors student and at the top of my class. There are bigger things in life to worry about. What you put on facebook is your business. Given, Coach Hill should not have done that, yes, that's something she should have confronted to Mandi's parents and let them deal with, but I think Mandi dealt with this the wrong way and put ALL of this upon herself. The embarrassment and everything. I'm sorry, but that's how I feel. I ALSO have the right of to freedom of speech, religion, and privacy.

August 4, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  9. HILLSUPPORTER

The other girl didn't have a reason to be punished because the other girl didn't do anything. Mandi sent the inappropriate message. The other girl wasn't comfortable with Mandi sending her the message, so she told the coach. Hill, as a coach, asked for the password and Mandi gave it to her. Whether she was scared or not, she gave it to her.
    Hill was trying to protect the both girls and get the situation under control before it turned into something big between the two girls. Hill loves each and every one of her cheerleaders as if they were her own.
    She witnessed a death due to a bullying situation (Luke Woodham). Though Mandi nor the other cheerleader was going to kill anyone, Hill didn't want the situation to grow into something even remotely close to that.
    Hill did the right thing as a coach, friend, and Christian.
    I understand that it should be the parents responsibility, but clearly the parent in this didn't know what was going on. So, Hill had to take matter into her own hand.
    This whole deal is out of control and suing the most amazing lady you'll ever meet is the most ridiculous thing anyone could ever do.

August 5, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  10. HILLSUPPORTER

Oh, I attent PHS and cheered for Hill while this took place. I know Mrs. Hill PERSONALLY and know she didn't do this to be nosey or to purposely get anyone into trouble.
    She is like a mother to the cheerleaders and was looking out for her girls because she loves them. Hill is always encouraging her cheerleaders through Christ and wouldn't ever do anything to harm anyone. Mandi knows Mrs. Hill wouldn't do this to make sure she got punished. If it was any other cheerleader, Hill would have handled the situation exactly the same.

August 5, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  11. Chelsea Bieler

$100,000,000. are you serious? i admit that the coach was wrong... but its not worth that. no way.

August 19, 2009 at 2:45 pm |