Today on CNN Newsroom

August 6th, 2009

Time to Raise the Red Flag?

The U.S. Postal Service reported a quarterly net loss of $2.4 billion. The service says it expects a $7 billion dollar loss for the entire fiscal year.

What's to blame? The USPS sites the recession as well as e-mail and electronic bill payment. The volume of so-called snail mail has dropped by 20 billion pieces this year and is expected to drop another 10 billion pieces in 2010.

Postmaster General John Potter says the agency needs to cut delivery service to five days a week.

So what do you think about a reduction in daily delivery? Do you even use the U.S. Postal Service?

Leave us a comment.
We'll share some of them on air in the CNN Newsroom, 11am — 1pm ET

Filed under: Don Lemon • Tony Harris
  1. Terry Ortega

I use the postal service for some things. But cutting delivery service is OK with me.

August 6, 2009 at 8:31 am |
  2. Michael Riley

My brother is in the Navy stationed over seas, there is limited access to electronic communications for crewmen onboard ship and often the postal service is faster for sending letters than email. While I would be disappointed in a reduction of USPS delivery service, it seems for now that I have little or no choice in the matter.

August 6, 2009 at 8:39 am |
  3. Charlie Erickson

I can see cutting service to five days, except for maybe the holiday season. They should also get more creative in the philatelic department by creating many more items as collectables. That would help to make up some of the shortfall. Maybe they should have a States and a national parks stamp series program(s), with releases about five times a year, like the U.S. Mint. they also need to make their parcel post system more like UPS.

Serious correspondence still requires the use of physical mail. E-mail correspondence is more personal, less formal, with a greater chance of it ending up in file # 13, courtesy of the delete button. I'm more apt to read physical bulk/junk mail, whereas I mostly bulk delete it, when it hits the spam box.

Charlie.

August 6, 2009 at 8:45 am |
  4. Larry

I hardly use the postal service anymore. Seems I do most of my financial transactions online.

If they can save money they should go for it.

August 6, 2009 at 9:05 am |
  5. Jim Barclay

I user the U.S. mail very seldom because almost all correspondence is done electronically. I would point out that 100% of the correspondence I receive from state and federal legislaters arrives by the U.S. Postal Service. Franked, of course.

August 6, 2009 at 9:13 am |
  6. Scott Stodden

Of course I use the U.S. Postal Service, and I think its a bunch of bologna to cut the days that mail is deleivered. I always send my bills and write my boyfriend who is locked in prison 5hrs away from me. I think its a crock that nobody or no services in this country are either broke or have to make cuts, DONT CUT THE MAIL DAYS DOWN TO 5 DAYS A WEEK. It will make it extremely hard to get mail and may take longer. Who am I talking to the Congress and Senate sure dont listen to the American people we're just people they come to when election time rolls around.

Scott Stodden (Freeport,IL)

August 6, 2009 at 9:41 am |
  7. linda pike

back in the early 90's when the gov urged all to become computer literate due to the "rumers" that one day all transactions would be done electronically.... just like everything else in this country, we broke a good system and when "W" thought the postmaster should have a humungous raise to the tune of 400,000. per year??? for what ??? also the cost went over the top to send anything... my daughter lives in Cali and I used to send her cards sometimes 4 or more a week and I would send little surprise packages... but then the prices skyrocketed why would i send a package that has a total of 5-10$ value and spend 16-20$ to send it and sometimes she received my cards most times never received and her LA postoffice has been busted mannnnnnny times for stealing the mail which i could never send her money due to thats what they are looking to steal so corruption and disgust for the USPS has cut their own nose to spite their own face........

August 6, 2009 at 10:39 am |
  8. John C

I can't even remember the last time that I have used the postal service, other than receiving junk in the mail.

I think its really been outdated by things like email, twitter, facebook, and other social networking sites.

I only send e-cards via email for birthdays these days...

August 6, 2009 at 11:06 am |
  9. Jonathine

I think that they USPS does a horrible job. They lost a package I sent valued at $30 and I tried to follow up. The post office in APex, NC failed to return phone calls, failed to follow-up and they simply say its not their fault. The Post Office Inspector general's Office is EXTREMELY insensitive to any requests made. The USPS is simply unreliable and I'd rather use UPS instead of USPS because they at least do something about requests. Let them lost Billions, they don't seem to care about anyone else's money.

August 6, 2009 at 11:07 am |
  10. Dennis

Saturday deliveries could certainly be eliminated to coincide with banks and other business that are closed over the week-end..

August 6, 2009 at 11:08 am |
  11. Lee Zehrer

So what would it cost to shut down or sell the USPS and subsidize high speed internet for anyone who can’t afford it?

August 6, 2009 at 11:08 am |
  12. Jason

I don't think many people don't use the USPS; however, I also don't think most people need their mail 6 days of the week. Why the idea of cutting back to 5, or even fewer delivery days, throughout the week hasn't happened before now is unfortunate. Cut delivery back to 5 days, and for those who need their mail delivered more, let them go to their post office or pay to have it delivered more often.

August 6, 2009 at 11:09 am |
  13. laurie

cut back on Saturday deliveries...but do not close neighborhood post offices. Charge more, but do not close neighborhood post offices. Cut services, but do not close neighborhood post offices.
    cut back hours, but do not close neighborhood postoffices.

August 6, 2009 at 11:09 am |
  14. tom

I use it all the time. It's a great deal for the money.
    Closing on Sat. Would not hurt that much.

August 6, 2009 at 11:09 am |
  15. Stephen Paul

Don; reducing mail delivery to 5 days won't likely save any real money. How about increasing junk mail fees and making the delivery system more efficient. I've been in Philadelphia watching 3-5 mail delivery vehicles parked while the drivers read the mail.
    There should be no class differences in mail fees, who are we kidding with the crap mail? split the costs fairly.

August 6, 2009 at 11:09 am |
  16. Karen

I use the post office just to send packages because their flat rate boxes are a good value. I would not mind mail delivery 5 days a week because I don't pick up my mail every day anyway. I do almost all of my correspondence and bill paying online. Aside from magazines, all I get is junk mail.

August 6, 2009 at 11:10 am |
  17. Tim

If I own a company that is losing money, I cut costs until I get it under control. The same thing applies to the Postal Service. It's that simple. Ps. I wonder what the postmasters salary is? they can start there.

August 6, 2009 at 11:10 am |
  18. Nish Patel

I don't think that cutting the post office's deliveries to 5 days a week is the right answer, but it may work, to help them. I, myself, started buying and selling on ebay, so to support myself through this tough economy. The post office has taken several steps to make shipping easier, by creating flat rate packaging.

Also, I like getting mail, I know that after I check my box on saturday, I can't wait until mondy to get my next package.

August 6, 2009 at 11:10 am |
  19. SB

What is wron with the bussiness going to five days and the homes going to three times a week.

August 6, 2009 at 11:12 am |
  20. JOHN MARTZ

With the developement of the internet, why would you need to continue postal delivery, as we know it. Surely the signs of the time were in sight years ago. I see the 5 day delivery very helpful when it comes to our economy and the budget.

Besides, I can email someone faster than a letter can be delivered.

August 6, 2009 at 11:12 am |
  21. darren

I use the post office all the time, I do not trust putting my personal information online, and I also like to have a piece of paper in my hand.
    Cutting service is the wrong thing to do, the Postal SERVICE has to remember it is not a BUSNIESS it is a service that the public depends on, the postal service is not supposed to make money, if they do that means the are overcharging the public....postal managment is still getting large bonuses while crying poverty....they need to begin running it as a service and not a fortune 500 company!
    The entire world has a postal system...and the United States is going to let do away with it.....disgusting!

August 6, 2009 at 11:14 am |
  22. David

I think the US Postal Service needs a major restructuring. They have not kept up with the times and are the epitome of bureacuracy.

When I mailed checks, I found that I did not know when the checks would arrive and be credited. Since I recently switched to electonic bill pay, when I schedule a payment, it is posted and processed as I requested. I don't have the worry of did they receive it on time.

A major problem with the Post Office is poor customer service. I have had a nightmare with a local post office. I have lost many mail pieces since the end of June. Fortunately, with the online access to bills and electronic bill pay, I have been able to maintain payments on my accounts.

I have heard other people complain about poor customer service from the Post Office.

We need to balance jobs versus budgets. On the surface, it would seem one of the ways to control govenrment deficits is to trim the Post Office operations. However, it may be necessary to keep some of the Post Office employees short term to minimize dumping more workers into the unemployemnt lines. Long term significant job cuts and operational cuts are necessary at the Post Office.

August 6, 2009 at 11:15 am |
  23. Brandi Harper

While I pay most of my bills online, I still depend on the postal service for other purposes like mailing birthday cards to family members. As a budding small business owner, I plan to use the USPS to help heighten my business reputation through direct mail. I hope our legislators find a way to keep this American tradition alive and thriving without major changes. Otherwise, it will have a dramatic, and probably negative, effect on how business is conducted in the United States.

August 6, 2009 at 11:15 am |
  24. karen

the postal service employs almost 700,000 people. we make average middle class saleries. even cutting back saturday delivery could mean the loss of over 100,000 employees! talk about a spike in unemployment rates! even cutting our pay, as has been proposed as an ammendment on s-1507 would mean the remaining 500,000 of us would no longer be buying new cars, refrigerators, etc. we have recieved NO money to bail us out, but private businesses have.....

August 6, 2009 at 11:17 am |
  25. Kris Mariano

The USPS has raised prices regularly to fund silly things like reinventing its logo.Online marketplaces have recently been hit by irresponsible management. With Ebay's failure to maintain a seller base, costing the USPS a lot of customers worldwide, the USPS has lost well-needed revenue that would take care of retirement promises. In addition, many letter carriers unnecessarily drive around in post office trucks rather than walking due to both laziness and safety concerns like roaming dogs, theft, etc. My concern is that ending Saturday delivery will put the US behind, businesswise. Expect fewer people trusting the USPS if they decide to do this. Already, they have removed the convenience of many drop of boxes, raised prices, and reduced the customer service experience. They can't afford alienating more consumers. BTW, how much money is wasted by congressmen getting free postage on campaign crap?

August 6, 2009 at 11:17 am |
  26. brandon w

The postal service is one of the greatest american achievements we as a country should be proud of. It would be a great and diasterous dissapointment if the postal service has to cut saturday. We are moving forward in time and thr postal service will be moving back

August 6, 2009 at 11:18 am |
  27. Steve Rutkowski

I have been a Postal employee for 28 years. The Post Office spends millions of dollars daily on managers salaries.They're supposed to make the craft employees more productive to help save the Post Office. Nobody is looking at the usefulness of these managers. They're not going to look at themselves. With the technology that's been in place at the Postal Sevice for years if you don't physically help move the mail to it's destination, the Postal Sevice doesn't need you.

August 6, 2009 at 11:18 am |
  28. Dianne Bennett

I use the post office frequently as I do not pay bills online. I would not mine it at all if I only had delivery three times a week. That might prevent the price of stamps going up, it would reduce the cost of gasoline for the postal department and also reduce air pollution. Many days I get no mail, or I just get junk mail. My life does not exist because of a daily mail delivery. My only regret would be a reduction in postal carriers and the unemployment that would go with it. I have yet to heard of a post office closing as they have closed fire stations, When I have a fire I want help and the delivery of mail is not going to put a fire out. We need to look at our priorities.

August 6, 2009 at 11:20 am |
  29. John Hughes

My wife and I use the USPS and don't want to see our local post office go away. There was a recent hike in the cost of postage so I don't want to see rates rise at this time. I believe a good alternative is to go to a five day delivery service.

August 6, 2009 at 11:22 am |
  30. Tom Glenn

If 5 day delivery would save money , then do it !! But why stop there ?? 3 day delivery would be fine with me , as I rarely get anything important anyway..... And if you are serious about saving money , then you need to look at the number of unneeded bureaucrats (management) that are employed by the Postal Service......... Carrying all this extra dead weight around would drag down any business. The PO is composed of layer upon layer of bureaucracy.......... 20-30 yrs ago a typical 50 route station had 2 supervisors , now there is a small army of pencil pushers/paper shufflers at each station. I wonder how much all that costs ??

August 6, 2009 at 11:22 am |
  31. Tom Clark

The Post Office should eliminate unsolicited mail and reportedly unprofitable bulk mail (snail spam) that fills up our mail boxes and landfills and wastes millions of trees annually.

August 6, 2009 at 11:24 am |
  32. CEDRIC. WEST SACRAMENTO CALIFORNIA

MOST PEOPLE COULD CARE LESS WHAT HAPPENS TO THE POST OFFICE. RAISE THE PRICE TO SEND MAIL THEY WILL PAY. CUT DELIVERY DAYS. THAT'S FINE TOO. VERY FEW PEOPLE ARE SITTING AT HOME ON THE WEEKEND WAITING FOR MAIL. THAT'S OLD SCHOOL. MOST BUSINESSES ARE CLOSED ON THE WEEKEND. SO THE IMPACT WOUL BE NEGLIGIBLE.

August 6, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  33. mike

TJ I worked for the usps for many years. The fix is not to go to five days. They have many troubles here are just a few. The bonus money paid out to postmasters all the way to the top. This would be fine if there where making money. The millions they have spent on machines to sort mail that dont work and dont buy stamps or pay taxes. Now here is something that really gets me hot about the whole thing. You and I must pay for everything we mail as it should be but the gov. gets it for FREE !! The post office does not get paid and the workers must do the work for Free !! You take just the mail that goes out just during the elections is millions. You know how much of it you get each day. The usps also pays into a fund like no other must do. this costs the millions also. You can keep going and going. Loot at how they were buying peoples homes for millons. I move for a job it is up to me to seel my home and buy or rent a new one. The usps is looking to save these things on the back of the little guy working for the. The city and ruel carriers and the people in the plants. They need to stop doing things not needed. This week they replaced a big blue box near my home that did not need it. You ask how do I know this before I reit. this was my job.This should start at the top as this where you can save the most. They also need to stop making jobs for their friends to fill. This has went on for years. They have people doing things that dont need done just to keeps a friend working. Whats funny about it is that it is never for the little guy at the bottom just the people making big money. I do not like the five day plan for many other reasons also. Sorry this is so long but this is really starting to get under my skin. I loved working for the usps and they were goog to me but at the end of the day it is the people at the top that have done this but they will make the guys at the bottom pay for it. Take the subs for the ruel routes each of them will loose their jobs because they will not be needed if they go five days. Every office has one for each route you can see how many people will be out of a job and this is just on the rule side and they have many other crafts that will do the same. FIVE DAYS NO WAY !!!!!!

August 6, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  34. Carlo Moody

Mail delivery has been once per day, Monday to Friday for decades here in Canada, nobody minds, it suits everybody, although the postal workers, who are still paid for a 40 hour week, have heavier workloads, also the postal service in Canada widely uses 'superboxes' , which are group mailboxes strategically located in a neighbourhood and residents have to walk anywhere from 5-150 yards.

August 6, 2009 at 11:34 am |
  35. Robert

Time to go to 5 day delivery. Cut back on middle management. Have more clerks at the windows so you don't wait more than a few minutes to mail something. If you need mail everyday get a PO Box. When you move it should be your responsibility to notify people of your new address. Why should the post office forward your mail for a year for no extrs charge. If you want this to be a service and deliver mail 6 days a week to every address in America tax dollars will be needed again. The amount of new delivery stops grows every year, but the amount of mail being delivered is going down. Some major changes need to happen.

August 6, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  36. Joe Bova

I visit friends in Canada on a regular basis. Canadians have had five day postal delivery for a long time without complaints. The money saved here could possibly go towards health care.

August 6, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  37. jerrod kersy

What you guys gonna do now????? Twitter doesnt work one of your major sources of news is out of order !!!!!!

August 6, 2009 at 11:55 am |
  38. Joe

I dont think going five days will help. I have many friend that work there and they tell me things that the big boss at the top does and I find it just plain nuts. They first should close some of the offices. We have them close to my house that are less than 1 miles apart these type of offices should be closed. People think they pay alot for what the usps does. The usps holds you mail free for you, they also forward your mail for free and the do many other things for free that most people dont know they do. Most all other mail services charge you for each and everyone of there things.You also have people that say they dont use them. Well here is a fact everyone of us use them all most everyday. We all get mail most everyday so to say you dont use them is just wrong. Some people say they charge to much well try to take that letter from Maine to Texas for less than 50 cents. To me they are a great deal and the do a great job. I will say yes they may loose a letter from time to time but when you deal in billions of them they dont have many problems. Start the cuts at the top where the fat is not at the bottom where they have been already cutting for a long time. I say start the cuts at the post master and go up. I dont think we will see this but thats where it should start. Do away with all the bonus moneys from the top down,ALL of them. You do this and you will see a ton of money saved.

August 6, 2009 at 11:58 am |
  39. JoesPrincess

If the USPS were not contracted to deliver all the junk mail, which obviously has an impact on the environment, it would be able to cut delivery down to 2 or 3 days a week. That would cut so many expenses for the unit, downside possible unemployment of current ee's.

August 6, 2009 at 12:05 pm |
  40. Mikki

I would have no problem with the postal service switching to a 5-day postal delivery. That would be an extra day I won't have to worry about seeing another bill go thru my mail slot, lol.

August 6, 2009 at 12:10 pm |
  41. Cheryle

The USPS needs to be reformed. This is a trillion dollar business of the government, and there is plenty of waste. When going to the post office in my neighborhood, there is always a very long line with one or two employees working - music playing, no one in a hurry, etc. Certain neighborhoods - forget it - customer service is non-existing.

USPS has the monopoly on delivering regular mail (except items needing to be delivered quickly – UPS and FedX). Private companies should be able to compete for delivering regular mail. That would make the USPS step up its game just like the auto dealers!

August 6, 2009 at 12:17 pm |
  42. ESTHER LONGORIA

The U.S. Postal Service> Has been a financial drain for a very long time. and really are no longer needed in our Fast Paced World of Computers,Text,Fax,& phone Technologies! If we should ever have an urgent need to mail something by a mailing...There is always the Mail Delivery Companies that are doing 90% Better than the U.S. Postal Services! I SAY>>>GOOD RIDDANCE! & HELLO MONEY SAVED!!!!

August 6, 2009 at 12:18 pm |
  43. Danny Rivers

I hope the USPS goes under and doesn't receive any sort of bail out, the poor customer service shown daily by post workers and the careless handling of packages should be reason enough to close all post offices down, maybe the U.S government can give the job of mailing to other shipping company's.

August 6, 2009 at 12:20 pm |
  44. Curtis

Hi Don, these Senators in the town hall meetings needs to go proactive against those who shout them down. I have not heard anyone using this tactic and that is instead of the Sen taking questions at the end of a talk the Senator should start asking the crowd questions.
    1. The crowd should be asked how many have healthcare coverage
    2. How much does your healthcare coverage really pay for
    3. Has anymore been denied for healthcare because of pre-existing conditions
    4. If you have healthcare, does everyone in you family or extented family have healthcare coverage.
    5. Do you like paying 350 dollars bi-weekly out of your paychecks just to have healthcare.
    6. If government ran healthcare would cost 95 dollar bi-weekly would you still be willing to pay 350 dollars.

What these questions a Senator can turn the table on the shouters. Im a vietnam veteran and I have complete healthcare coverage. Which means I don't have to pay for office visits, co-pays, hospital beds, hospital machines, lab test, procedures, surgeries, medication or transportation to the hospital. But, my wife does not have that type of coverage. Essentially I have the same coverage as congress do.

President Obama wants healthcare reform to be base up the government ran medicare and the VA services that VETs get.

Testimony, I told my doctor I have a back ache sometimes when I get up in the morning. My VA doctor said no problem we will get you a electric hospital bed. I told my doctor I have problems walking 200 feet where I get tired. My doctor said no problem we will give you a power wheelchair. I use my wheelchair on extended outings. Most of the time I use my cane. Other vets doen't know they can get the same treatments by just asking your doctor for it. My wheelchair will be fixed or placed for life. I have no out of pocket expenses when it comes to healthcare and the things I need.

Im a registered nurse and patients in other hospitals die at a much faster rate than patients in VA hospitals. Doctors at VA's same a ton of money on their paychecks because they don't have to pay for malpractice nor can they be sued for any reason. VA a doctors don't make as much money as the private sector but they don't have to worry about malpractice insurance or dealing with a ton of paper work. That means their focus is fully on the patient and thats why patients at VA's gets better treatment than patient's in other hospitals.

A nurse can get hold of a doctor 24 hours a day. In public hospitals a nurse has to call the doctors office and wait for eternity to get that doctor to come in to see the patient. VA's doctors live at the VA when it's their rotation and they can respond to emergancy withing 5 minuets.

So I'm happy with my government ran healthcare. My wife works for the VA and when I have to travel her job has to let her travel with me because my doctor told her boss she needs to do that so she is not charged for taking off.

VA workers are never layed off and rarely are they fired. But to work the VA you cannot have any felonies in your past.

You may say look at the post office they are closing and they are part of the government. Thats true and not true. The post office is an anex of the government while the VA is solely ran by the government. The head of the VA is a cabnet level. There is not cabnet level for the post office. So there is a big difference between post office workers and VA workers.

August 6, 2009 at 12:21 pm |
  45. Rachel Graziose

Tell the postal service, "It's the stamps, Stupid."

August 6, 2009 at 12:23 pm |
  46. Charles Babb 404-630-6543

I work for the Postal Service in ATLANTA. Every day we have 30 + employees in a resource room for their 8. hour shift performing no productive work. We are all Rehab employees{ we are all disabled from work related injuries), Before being assigned to this room we were all working a job within our restrictions Now we make $200,00 + per person per shift to do nothing . All so managment cay remove us because they say they have no work for us. This practice is going on nationwide. How much is the post office wasting every day when we could be productive workers?

August 6, 2009 at 12:23 pm |
  47. Dishearted employee

The guy that did the Postal Service interview was a joke. The real reason the USPS is in trouble is because of managerial waste. It's as simple as that. The first solution would be to fire PMG Potter.

August 6, 2009 at 12:24 pm |
  48. Lynn

Of course I use the Postal Service, where would we be without it. When my son was overseas I sent packages through the U.S. Postal service. I think they should stop Saturday deliveries to save money.

August 6, 2009 at 12:25 pm |
  49. Rob

I myself use the intrenet to purchase items. But I always ask if they can ship USPS be cause it one third the price of UPS or FedEx. Some do or will not, but some shippers don't realize the cost differance and thank me for letting them know of the lower rate. I don't want to see the postal system go away. Rob

August 6, 2009 at 12:25 pm |
  50. Denise M.

Maybe more people would use the Post Office if it did not cost $1.08 to mail four sheets of paper flat in a large envelope, but the same four sheets, the weigh the same, only cost the price of one stamp if you fold them. Sending resumes folded is unprofessional, and should be sent in a flat envelope. The differences in prices is ridiculous.

August 6, 2009 at 12:25 pm |
  51. Sanaa Siam

Take one-half the salary of the postmaster general to offset the cost. This person makes more than President Obama. The President works harder than the US Postmaster. What the hell. The post office needs a serious makeover in management. Hell, when the lines are long, no one comes out and helps the one or maybe two tellers that are working. This goes for management too.

August 6, 2009 at 12:26 pm |
  52. Melonie

The post office has noone to blame but themselves. They have run a great thing in the ground (remember the real estate fiasco, the post office buying up houses of postal employees?). The cost of mailing a package has nearly doubled since I started selling online 7 years ago. People are not going to pay 8 dollars to ship a 10 dollar item!

August 6, 2009 at 12:28 pm |
  53. Ron Deveau

FedEx and UPS deliver on Saturday. Why doesn't the USPS compete with them and charge competetively. If a government run Post Office cannot compete in mail delivery how will the government compete in health care.

August 6, 2009 at 12:28 pm |
  54. RBOB

Don,

I think the US Postal service is doing a good job. I am a frequent user of Priority mail and Express Mail and they work as well as the competion and much less expensive.

But, why does the US Government use FedEX and UPS when the Government's own system is less expensive and needs the business?

The USPS needs some good press.

August 6, 2009 at 12:30 pm |
  55. Bill Stone

The post office loses money for other reasons .......their service. I went to the post office yesterday in Tucson and there was 19 people in line and 1 cashier. I didn't have time to wait so I went down the street to Mailbox Etc. and was immediately helped when I walked in the door. As I was leaving I noticed several people I saw in line at the Post Office coming in the door. People want to go to the Post Office but the service is slow and the wait is long cause there's not enough people staffed. It's been that way for years, not just since the economy has had trouble. This is where their losing money!

August 6, 2009 at 12:32 pm |
  56. markb2949@verizon.net

I disagree with dropping service of mail to 5 days.
    they need to cut the post offices in the country that are so small and of no use really. also cut the number of employees if mail is less.

August 6, 2009 at 12:33 pm |
  57. chris

Well I might not use the postal service now....But I am in the Army Reserves and I am awaiting deployment to Afghanistan. Therefor in order for me and my fellow soldiers who are deployed to contact our family and friends we use the old school letter in the mail. This is because alot of large bases over seas may carry internet access but the smaller bases may not and it may be a few hours drive to a base with internet. Therefor it is more conveint to send paper mail to family and friends back in the states. Also many people use the postal service to send gift packages over seas to soldiers. Thank you for hearing my opionion on this subject.

August 6, 2009 at 12:34 pm |
  58. D.Stewart

The Post Office Need To Be more Aggressive and competitive with it's marketing and Services. It Also Needs To Eliminate it's partnerships with FedEx & UPS If these Partnerships are causing the loss of Postal service Jobs. The Changes should Start At The Top First With Fresh New People With Fresh New Ideas!

August 6, 2009 at 12:35 pm |
  59. Dan Nickell

The USPS doesn't seem to get it that now is the time for a radical shift in business purpose and strategic direction. They need to let go of the past and find a way to provide cost-effective electronics communications services. Since the written word is now more electronic than pen and paper, they need a business model that provides a stable, inexpensive, and reliable national network for personal e-mail and secure financial transactions. Leave the heavy lifting of packages to UPS and FedEx.

August 6, 2009 at 12:36 pm |
  60. JOHN RINALDI (JohnnyHand)

The USPS has been pointed toward privatizing since Pres. Reagan. In the past, it was noted that the USPS was earning money, until it came to Contract talks. Then there was ALWAYS a loss!
    The USPS changed from Civil Service employees, in 1984, to FERS, for Federal Employees Retirement System where these workers pay into Social Security. USPS has to wait for ALL Civil Service workers to retire (2014) before they can privatize, and will.

August 6, 2009 at 12:38 pm |
  61. Carol

They are in a crisis? HA !!
    If they are running out of money, WHY did they do TWO major extensions on the post office in St. James, NY.

Someone should check into the unnecessary building projects they have done in the last year and then ask WHY??

August 6, 2009 at 12:38 pm |
  62. Aaron

The USPS is a necessity... I couldn't disagree with Cheryle more. People complain and whine now about the cost of a stamp (which I think is ridiculous when you consider for under .50 cents you can get a piece of mail a thousand miles across the country within 3 days, think about it, think about the efficiency of the WHOLE process; 50 cents is nothing for that kind of service, how much do you spend on a cup of coffee?) If the USPS were privatized, as Cheryle suggests, those rates would probably be double that, shoot maybe triple, as private companies realize to make the excess profits they seek they won't be able to do it charging less than a mere 50 cents for first class mail. I think the USPS LACKS FORESIGHT by looking at cutting services first. My guess would be maybe they need to look at cutting numerous upper management positions all around the post offices in the country first; could it be the post office is a tad top heavy? By looking first at cutting services they only disservice and alienate their customers, is this their intention?? Or do they just lack foresight? The USPS is still important and vital to our country, birthday and anniversary and graduation cards, wedding invites, all sorts of packages, bills, letters (nothing like the real thing), postcards, Christmas packages, at low cost and even better great efficient service!

August 6, 2009 at 12:40 pm |
  63. John Walsh

The president should appoint a special prosecutor to audit the entire "elitist" USPS to find out exactly how many postal workers have multimillion dollar homes. Then... let the indictments fall where they may.

August 6, 2009 at 12:41 pm |
  64. RBOB

A follow-up to my earlier message:

A significant USPS service we utilize is Saturday pick-up and delivery of Priority Mail. Loss of that service would be a significant loss to us.

Not all businesses are closed on Saturday!

August 6, 2009 at 12:44 pm |
  65. Aaron

Don,

I think what the media needs to look at here, is that the the USPS TRULY needs to look at itself! Have they really looked at cutting numerous upper management jobs at post offices across the United States first?? It does not appear to me that that is so. Looks to me like the first thing they are looking at is CUTTING SERVICES to their customers; THAT IS A PROBLEM!!

Thanks for your time.

August 6, 2009 at 12:53 pm |
  66. RAR

The guy that you had on for the interview was a joke. He is just another layer of wasteful management. The problem with the Postal Service is that it is too top heavy. Useless managerial positions need to be abolished. Those people have nothing to do with moving the mail. Half of them don't even know what a letter looks like. I am a 30 year postal employee and have never seen so much waste as now. Such as managers using blackberry's and driving gas guzzling vehicles. The thing that needs to happen is to fire PMG Potter.

August 6, 2009 at 12:59 pm |
  67. Robby

Well back when Clinton was Prez and the internet really got going he promised that the internet would start being taxed just like any other service but this not happened and its hurting anybody with a small business! If the credit card company got taxed for that online payment they would stop offering this free service! Then people would be back paying for that stamp! I work as a rural carrier and the Post Office wants to cut the little guy and all the clerks at the offices but they do nothing to get control of all the overhead! Potter makes more a year than the Prez does, something wrong here with that! They have all these postions where peoiple just sit around all day and collects a check, cut these people not the ones who are actually doing the work!

August 6, 2009 at 1:28 pm |
  68. Joe

The post office has done things to save money. They have put more work on the carriers year after year with no more pay. They have cut routes. The funny thing is it is all on the carriers and the workers in the plant. They dont ever cut at the post master up just on the lower level workers. Look at the S. 1507 it Passes Out of Senate with Anti-Labor Amendment. Senator Coburn placed this in this bill. The bill is based on a draft offered by the Administration and the Office of Management and Budget (OMB). When this draft legislation was originally submitted, the NRLCA and the other postal unions supported the bill as introduced in the Senate. Now with this added I see no way they can support it now and with good cause. Again they try to save the money on the lower level workers. These workers have gave a lot to help but it is about time the big guys start to pay their share. I say start with the post masters and go up.

August 6, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  69. Robby

If we cut the services we cut our own throats! Whether or not people want to admit it they use the Post Office! They enjoy recieving packages, birthday cards, govt. checks! If you have no class you`ll send an email for your Mothers Birthday but if you really care and you want your card or gift to be personal you`ll send it in the mail! If we cut delivery days a lot of people will see delays and poorer service! Most businesses or open 6 days a week, what sense would it make to make your business wait a day or two for something? We should also end all contracts with UPS and FedEX, we deliver all of what they cant for a huge discount! The American people should realize that USPS is a better service for their money!

August 6, 2009 at 1:37 pm |
  70. karen

reading the comments posted since my previous post, i realize how little the general public REALLY knows about how the postal service operates! yes i am a postal worker of 23 years, and yes there is employee and management waste as in any business that employs 650,000 people! ( are there any other businesses that have that many? maybe in india or china where YOUR JOB was outsourced to!) sure we need to clean up our act some, but no one batted an eye about the excuses used by private industries needed to pay management hugh salaries to keep" the best and the brightest". very few postal workers have million dollar homes, most live in modest middle class homes, some are single parents, and some are single people who cannot even afford to buy a home! do some actual research, talk to those "slow" counter people, and find out how the postal service really is instead of the agenda presented by people who stand to gain from our demise! you don't think this stuff against us is put out there by concerned citizens do you?

August 6, 2009 at 1:39 pm |
  71. Robby

What Potter hasnt told the American people is he wants to eliminate domestic employment and outsource these jobs to people with green cards and visas, yes it is true Potter wants to keep his fat lifestyle at the expense of hundreds of thousands of American jobs! Do the American people think we can withstand another 500,000 people added to the unemployment lines? This will cost more than paying a little more for a stamp!Its already happening in states close to Mexico, jobs are being replaced by what they call highway contracts and is little more than outsourcing more American jobs! Do you feel safe with illegals handling your mail, I dont!

August 6, 2009 at 1:43 pm |
  72. Helen

As long as people keep getting married, the USPS will stay alive. Who wants to get a wedding invitation or thank you note via e-mail? As a newlywed, I know first-hand that paying for all that postage is no cheap venture.

August 6, 2009 at 2:03 pm |
  73. RJ

I`ve bought and sold over 2000 items mostly from Ebay and amazingly enough I`ve never had a package lost nor have I ever not recieved an item. I know the Post Office does good work its just poorly managed period! I have had US send packages back to where they came because they could `t find my address, never with the Post Office. It took UPS almost years of complaining and explaining where I if at all use the Post Office! I believe that the credit card companies and all those other businesses should be taxed just like any other service, nothings free in this country! You would see people going back to the Post Office because the companies like always would pass the buck to the customer! Besides does anyone really trust some guy in India or Mexico with their personal information, I know I dont, I`ll stick to my military vet who I see everyday and can actually look him in his eyes, yep I`ll use the Post Office. One thing I do know in everybodies attempt in getting something for free and using technology to do it is only running actual human beings out of a job and thus the ability to support a family, people might actually think about that the next time they are looking for something free!

August 6, 2009 at 2:44 pm |
  74. JayCee

I haven't heard much comment on how many fewer credit card solicitations are being mailed out by banks and other credit card marketers. This has to be a significant reduction in the volume of mail that was being sent before the administration began investigations of the credit industry. I used to get at least 20 a week. If I've gotten two in the last few months it would be alot. Just wondering.

August 6, 2009 at 2:59 pm |
  75. Chris

Well, well, well ...... our government can't even manage the postal service. What the heck are we doing letting them waste so much money on everything else for? This administration (and past ones) have been hellbent to spend all of their time taking the working man's money and giving it away rather than governing. This ain't governing, it's robbery.

August 6, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  76. Darina

I have written to my congressmen. I agree that we need health care to be fixed, but please don't throw out the baby with the bath water. Don't give us what European countries and Canada have. All these uninformed people that just demand health care are ready to jump from the frying pan into the fire if they don't read all the fine print. We know many people abroad who have to wait and suffer to get their problems taken care of. Some times they died before they got the needed surgery.
    Give the uninsured Americans (not illegals) affordable coverage, prohibit preexisting condition exclusions, allow continuing coverage with the loss of a job until a new job covers them, but allow for Medicare coverage and private health insurance if it works for you. Medicare fraud needs to be monitored carefully, not ignored as we have experienced, even when we reported it. And if you make everyone covered by a new system, then the Congress and President need to have the same coverage. Don't allow the government dictate which treatment is best for us and what we are allowed to have. That is a matter for the doctor to decide and for the patient to further research. Medical savings plans should also be an option and nobody should be taxed on income used for health insurance premiums, or expences. Premiums should be reduced for people who make wise health choices such as not smoking, keeping weight down, not engaging in dangerous activities, or not taking illegal drugs or excessive alcohol.
    Darina in Florida

August 6, 2009 at 5:39 pm |
  77. Lee Zehrer

Joseph Corbet, CFO:

It's not the economy stupid!

August 6, 2009 at 7:00 pm |
  78. JOHN RINALDI (JohnnyHand)

TOP HEAVY? At Kilmer P & DC in Edison, NJ you must have two supervisors for every worker.

Plus the Foreign workers there, (you only need a green card now!) DON'T do the job correctly, because, "RIGHT OR WRONG, I GET PAID EVERY TWO WEEKS!" Besides, most supervisors don't care because they are at their coffee clutch on the workfloor talking away. Management on top, wants it to fail.

Once they privatize, they will charge postage by zone, ie UPS, and in Rural areas, you'll have to go to the post office and get it yourself. You'll see....... I've seen this coming since the 80's!

August 7, 2009 at 2:30 am |
  79. Mike Maier

I have dual views: Due to ecological and personal info security concerns I have selected e-mail/web delivery of my bills, statements, and newsletters. I would extend that option to credit card invitations, advertisements, and charitable solicitations if I could. It would be easy for me to live with 5 delivery days/week.

But I'm also a real fan of old-school uses of snail mail: post-cards, cards, letters, packages and things vs. doing everything electronically.

Yes, the post office needs to adapt, but it should not lose it's place in the fabric of our daily lives.

-Mike
    San Francisco

August 7, 2009 at 1:10 pm |
  80. Carol

I think it would be ok to eliminate Saturday mail delivery. But everyone who pays their bills via "snail-mail" (like me) should mail their bill payments a day or two earlier, as mail will not be processed on Saturday and you don't want to risk being late. Thank you.

August 7, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  81. DonnaS

Saturday delivery should be cut instead of a weekday when businesses need reliable mail delivery. I can't imagine why anyone would care if Saturday delivery is eliminated. It seems like a no-brainer.

August 8, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  82. Brian Phillips

Obama's push to be progressive is going to have the negative side effect of turning the United States into a third world country.

August 9, 2009 at 8:54 am |
  83. Chris

Our government should raise the "white flag" of surrender when it comes to managing money! All government seems to understand at ANY level is to raise taxes and keep on growing government instead of private business. Any time our government gets involved the working people of the US lose money from their paychecks.

August 9, 2009 at 9:35 am |
  84. thomas dudley

email and faxes surely contributed to the downturn in the USPS. to me, the real problem is attitude. "WE DON'T CARE, WE DON'T HAVE TO, WE ARE USPS" go to the post poffice with an issue or question, see how THAT works out! as for me...they can cut delivery to M W F.

August 9, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  85. Alice Eisenhauer

If the USPO didn't have to deliver junk (bulk) mail at a fraction of the cost of regular mail, this probably wouldn't be a problem. Charge all mail the same, reduce some of the junk mail.

Thank you.

August 10, 2009 at 10:28 am |
  86. Jan

I will attend the town hall meeting today at Clarkston, Ga. I would ask if i could for the congressman to please point out some of the false information being given to our fellow Americans. I would ask him to please assure the seniors who are being told that they are going to loose Medicare and be told when to die.

August 10, 2009 at 12:18 pm |
  87. maryc

Where the USPS is concerned. We (the tax payers) are being forced to pay the people who run the USPS way too much money for the service they perform.

Until we start cutting salaries of the top executives who, in my opinion, do not do enough to earn their salary, there would not be a need to close any of the Post Office facilities anywhere.

With so many people out of work and with many of them running out of unemployment benefits I would like to know why they think the need triple digit incomes. They do not need to have elaborate dinner parties, swimming pools, 5 bedroom houses, expensive cars, house keepers, gardeners, I could go on.

We as a nation needs to get back to the grass roots so we can all live within our means. How do you live within your means when you cannot find a job?

August 10, 2009 at 12:22 pm |
  88. Ron Lins

Ever stood in line and watched postal employee's...some work hard, some move slow....Mid 1980's the Post Office came out with a collection of die cast postal trucks from the early 1900's....They were a great hit....why was that discontinued?.......Why does the Post Office offer tape, and paper, etc., for mailing at such a high marked up price?....Recent news story last night about post office drop boxes being removed from locations that don't receive at least 25 pieces of mail....Ok., start sending some of that junk mail back as "RETURN TO SENDER".....That should raise the limit above 25 pieces of mail.....and what is the Post Office doing with the mail drop boxes?.....sending them out for salvage.....Why not auction them off to folks that would like to have a piece of history....$$ money could be donated to charity....It's amazing what we could do to help our postal system....let's start with Mr. Potter....I'm sure with his salary we could hire more postal workers to be put to work and find someone that could do the job at a lower cost....This holds true throughout the country to those government jobs of elected mayor's, council members, etc.....

August 10, 2009 at 1:37 pm |
  89. JOHN RINALDI (JohnnyHand)

Subject: Kilmer P&DC Area Mail Processing(AMP) Study

To All:

On Sept. 30,2009; the United States Postal Service announced plans to conduct a survey to see if it is feasible to move mail sorting operations from the Kilmer P&DC(Edison) to Trenton P&DC(Trenton) and/or Dominick V. Daniels P&DC(Kearny). This move will cause a negative effect on mail service and the local economy within the 088/089 zip codes of NJ.
    The USPS has 45 days, from the date of the announcement, to schedule a Public Hearing. At this hearing, residents and/or postal customer have an opportunity to question the Postal Service as to the feasibility if this move. In the past, the Postal Service have not publicized this hearing!! The less people that know what is going on the easier it will be.
    The Central Jersey Area Local needs your help! We are asking that you inform your friends and/or families that reside and/or work in the 088/089 zip codes about this plan. The Central Jersey Area Local is trying to inform as many people as possible so that they can attend this hearing.
    What has the Central Jersey Area Local done? Our Local has sent out letters to the Mayors and/or businesses of the 088/089 area. We have also contacted the elected officials, of the State of New Jersey, to give us a hand. We have contacted local media outlets in an attempt for our story to be heard.
    What has the Central Jersey Area Local accomplished? The city of Piscataway and North Brunswick has passed resolutions in opposition of the Postal Service's plans. In the upcoming weeks, we will be speaking with the cities of Edison, Highland Park, Clinton, Flemington, Sayreville, Old Bridge, New Brunswick, and Bridgewater. We are hoping that they will pass similar resolutions. Also the Home News Tribune has done a featured article that will appear in Sunday's (8/9/09) newspaper.
    I have attached a letter that was presented to the residents of North Brunswick. Similar letters were sent out to the other towns in the 088/089 zipcodes. Please take the time to read these letters. We need you to help us inform the public as to what the Postal Service is trying to do. Once the date of the Public Hearing is announced, I will inform everyone of the time and/or location. Thank you for your help in advance.

Hansell "Hank" Anderson
    President

August 10, 2009 at 3:51 pm |
  90. Izzy

I believe the USPS needs to also market other services and products like UPS. People who complain about the price of stamps are idiots. Who else will deliver a card or letter for 44 cents say from NYC to HI. The USPS should raise the first class stamp even more.

August 11, 2009 at 11:17 am |
  91. Texas Republic

Politicians are sacrificing health care for Legal American Citizens to maintain the health of Foreign Nationals and Illegal Aliens in America. It is in the present bill to do so.

The government does not have the right to take away Medicare from the elderly then give it to the illegal immigrants, Illegal Aliens, Foreign Nationals; unconstitutional births aka anchor babies and the chain of millions they bring with them.

The politicians are in the process to redirect tax money from Social Security and Medicare. This is why they are saying Social Security and Medicare are broke. They have stolen OUR money from the Social Security Fund and have not paid it back as required by law. They do this saying they will not increase taxes to pay for it, they are simply redirecting our tax money to Foreign Nationals (50 million plus) present in OUR nation.

August 11, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  92. Nancy

I think an on-air presentation with graphs and charts would be beneficial to understanding the present system and the hopeful changes by government. I don't trust profit making insurance companies with my health care. Nancy, Tucson

August 11, 2009 at 11:50 am |
  93. Steve

Any decrease in service should be in conjunction with a decrease in costs for citizens. The USPO while good is not great asprices have soared for shipping.... A good administrator would figure out how to do MORE with less thereby INCREASING SERVICE AND DECREASING COST. Because they are on the gravy train they plan to soak us.... make them compete or pull the (automatic) plug

August 11, 2009 at 11:53 am |
  94. Texas Republic

Private enterprise such as UPS, and FedEX, were given Post Office privileges/contracts for PRIVATE profit. Now they are PRIVATE billionaires because of the system citizen’s pioneered and paid for. The intention was to bankrupt the U.S. Postal system and they thought it would have happened long before now. The profits are in the package shipment not in letters.

The millions of illegal aliens use Western Union and do not send mail because they do not want to be identified.

The politicians want to give all of the government to PRIVATE enterprise for PRIVATE PROFIT. If the past administration had had its way, the military would be entirely private like the black ops in Iraq.

One must note that Social Security and Medicare made PRIVATE millionaires and PRIVATE billionaires from forced health and prescription change to PRIVATIZATION.

None of the electrocution deaths in military showers in Iraq caused by poor workmanship done by PRIVATE contractors are going to be held responsible for the deaths of electrocuted soldiers. They made billions contracting for the military.

August 11, 2009 at 12:06 pm |
  95. M.Felton

Hi Tony, I wish someone would ask these congress people what kind of health insurance they have . The Federal Employees Health Benefits Program seems to be working great for them and the U.S Government ( the taxpayer) pays a huge percentage of the premiums.

August 11, 2009 at 12:41 pm |
  96. Susan

I see no reason for the USPS to provide service on saturday. None of the other couriers do without a hefty charge!

Also, when I worked at a major tax office, the postal workers had incredible incomes and benefits compared to many others.

I do use the mail because I have family that lives away from me, and want to send cards and pictures. The surprise is in receipt of a note, and it makes a sentimental record.

I insist on paper bills from the people who bill me because they serve as a payment reminder that I tack to my refridgerator.

August 11, 2009 at 12:50 pm |
  97. Jose Benavides

Tony, The Postal Service has been making the same comment for years, at least the past 30 years I worked for the USPS, but this is a tactic to frighten the employees and make some retire early. Postmasters General come and go but the dedication of the workers remain the same even under tremendous stress and harrassment by new supervisors who want to establish themselves and make the local postmaster satisfied. The big hunchos from District Managers across our nation are partically to blame ,they provoke the the small supervisors to push, push and push some more they have this common believe that to intimitadate employees the job will be done better .Local postmasters are running scared and will committe to making sure that employees had better put out or get fired.

Big Ben- Retired Postmaster
    Level 18 Post Office

August 11, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  98. Ken

My wife works as a clerk at the Post Office. If nobody uses snail mail anymore why is the line always out the door?

August 11, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  99. Robin

Healthcare is not just a fundamental American right, it is a fundamental human right. What we have now is the example of continued oppression of those fundamental human rights, based on socioeconomic status. Basically, the quality of health is based on the level of individual welath. Enterprise and the massive wealth of the insurance companies should never be what this fundamentlly necessary human right of good health or health assistance of any kind should be based on. The government Spent billions on war and death. They shold be willing to spend trillions to save lives.

August 12, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  100. Ginny Chu

To me, some reform of health care is necessary.
    1-Do away with pre=existing condition denials from insurance companies.
    2-Regulate insurance companies. CEOs take huge salaries and bonuses.
    3-Tort reform needs to be addressed. Should be a cap on settlements.
    4-Make insurance available to all. Whether or not one pays depends on financial situation of individual.
    Ginny
    Los Altos, CA

August 12, 2009 at 12:23 pm |
  101. Donald R. Krause

In any of the so-called plans in and or for health care reform indicate that ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS would receive a single penny?

I'm surprised and terribly dissapointed that the President felt the need to deceive and or flat out lie to all of us taxpayers when he said that AARP was supporting his health care plan! Thank God CNN took the extra step to get the straight scoop from AARP. I think that if any President would lie then he/she should leave the office! And people wonder why the general public has little or zero trust in their polititians.

I greatly appreciate the coverage that CNN gives us daily.

August 12, 2009 at 12:25 pm |
  102. Donald R. Krause

We do use the US Postal Service but we could easily get by with two (2) days per week service. My wife pays all bills on the internet.

August 12, 2009 at 12:28 pm |
  103. Donald R. Krause

I' 64 years old and work from my home. I live on a golf course and have a golf cart with lights, horn and directional signals. I drive my cart to friends homes in the area, take it to the store, dry cleaners and restaurant. I live in a suburb of Toledo, Ohio therefore the cart is up during Winter months. I would like to see the use of golf carts being promoted as they are far cheaper than anything out there. We need to begin to think outside the box.

August 12, 2009 at 12:37 pm |
  104. M.A. Rogers

I use my post office all the time. Sometimes I use UPS to mail packages, but I have found the post office delivery works just as well and is often less expensive. I believe the post office has improved it's service and is a good value. I would be very unhappy to see it go. I just moved and now have to travel farther than I'd like to my post office because so many are disappearing. The one problem that keeps people away from post offices is the lines. If there were small outlets many places, as with UPS, the post office would attract more customers.

August 13, 2009 at 11:20 am |
  105. guan miller

I rarely go to the post office, only if I have an overnight express package to send. I handle of my bills via the internet.

August 13, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  106. Lenora

I am very close to someone who has worked in the postal system in Texas for over 10 years. Yes, the economy and the internet have both affected the volume of mail handled by the USPS, but there is still very much that can be done to eliminate waste just like the waste in many government and large corporations– positions and payroll that was never eliminated but just shifted around whenever modernization of mail handlling through machines decreased the need for so many workers. Raises and bonuses need to be looked at to see if there is favoritism in certain positions while others are loosing their jobs and certain workers are given hefty raises and bonuses.

August 13, 2009 at 12:06 pm |
  107. Donald R. Krause

With respect to health care, I wonder why President Obama simply doesn't inform us all that we will have the identical health care benefits, coverage, deductable and cost as Congress currently has. To my way of thinking this would be rather simple and would be well received by each and every US citizen. It does seem odd to me that our elected officials would attempt to offer us coverage that is substantially below theirs! Go figure!

It would be interesting to hear what other hard working US citizens think of us having the same as Congress.

August 13, 2009 at 2:55 pm |
  108. patricia smith

I had to break down and post my very first blog to you, Tony, about these so-called town hall meeting hecklers! The issue of health care reform is merely a "smoke screen" for the racial bigots who are showing up at these meetings just to seize an opportunity to spew their disdain for our black president! The radio political clowns are encouraging these people to sound off at these meetings to instill doubt, at the very least, about our president! Anyone can see through the smoke if they're being honest! I appreciate you and CNN for "telling it like it is", by doing your "fact check" with Josh Levs, but why don't you interview some of these aggressors and reveal their real agenda? Afterall, most of their questions are about lies they've been told or heard! I can't imagine anyone believing that any president would write and pass a bill that would require an old person to be euthanized because it would be cost efective! come on!

August 14, 2009 at 4:39 pm |
  109. scotte Hampton VA

For the mail it get at my house (mostly fliers and advertisements) if they delivered only when I ordered or someone sent me a package They don't even send government checks through the mail anymore. The INTERNET have put them out of business. Except for delivering packages it is hard to justify the post office.

August 17, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  110. Barbara O'Brien Arato

Hello,

The lack of trust in this Administration is by far the most noticable. Perhaps because the other Administrations at least appeared to be pro America. This Administration is like an abusive parent. Since we are adults we can recognize the twist and will fight before it is too late. God help us, as it seems this Administration is determined to bring America and its American way of life down, without even caring about preserving the good parts, or trying to get rid of the bad parts so the good parts can get stronger.

August 17, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  111. Pat

Stop the Junk Mail and deliver (5) days week.

August 19, 2009 at 1:22 am |
  112. Joe V

I taught HS math at the 77th ranked Chicago school (out of 77 schools) on the dangerous West Side for 1 yr after working in industry for 40 years. Only a few understood division, fractions, decimals, simple equations, basic reading. There were constant fights, namecalling, obscene conversations, threats and running around in the classroom in almost every class period during the year. A huge number of students had grandparents or aunts and uncles as guardians, as many parents were drug addicts, alcoholics, children, etc. I had to get out, as I was not equipped to deal with it. It was downright shocking and depressing and stressful each and every day. The whole generation in the neighborhood are emotionally messed up.

August 22, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  113. Mary Burgess

As a retired teacher, I welcomed the president's remarks. They were challenging to students and schools over the nation. Very inspiring!!! Education unlocks the storehouse of knowledge for all of us.

September 8, 2009 at 12:33 pm |