Today on CNN Newsroom

August 13th, 2009

The 30 Second Pitch: We need jobs!

Today one of our blog readers who did just that-Nicole Burns of Winston-Salem, NC-did her pitch with Kyra.

We'll have her pitch posted as soon as the video is ready.

In the meantime, if you want to be part of the pitch get in touch with us here.A lot of you have gotten in touch with us right here to tell us you need a job and you want to be part of The 30 Second Pitch.

We also featured homeless mom Stacey Rooker who is at a shelter in Sacramento, California.

If you have a job offer get in touch with her at: staceyrooker@yahoo.com

On Wednesday, creative job seeker David Hicks was part of the pitch.
Find out how he is literally spreading the "news" that he needs a job.
If you have a job offer for him, you may e-mail him at: dhicks256@gmail.com

If you want to be part of the pitch get in touch with us here.

1. Laura

I would love to be a part of the thirty-second pitch. I graduated from Georgetown with a degree in Psychology this past May and am looking to put my people knowledge and skills to use in the field of human resources. I am living at home base, which, unfortunately in this economy, is in Northern California. I believe the search has been exceedingly difficult given that this state has been hit harder than most. I have followed the Career Center's advice at my school to a T, have networked extensively, even have my resume professionally polished, with still no luck. Nobody seems to be hiring entry level, although I am far from discouraged. I would be ecstatic to hear back.

August 13, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  2. ionic air cleaners

This was a really great read, I am very glad I came across your site.

August 14, 2009 at 3:46 am |
  3. joe

Wasn't this the President that promised something like 600,000 new jobs and an entire new profession of Green Collar Jobs – now we are taking to the airwaves with a 30 second pitch. Mr. Obama are you watching, can you provide us with Jobs first and worry about all your other country dividing policies second. Thank you!

August 14, 2009 at 9:52 am |
  4. Jennie Medaleno

I think Michael Vick deserves a second chance he did his time for his crime. Why did Martha Stewart get a second chance she was even welcomed with open arms.

August 14, 2009 at 12:21 pm |
  5. Robert Lake,MI

Joe, I garee 100%! The root of all of our problems is jobs now we have a President who believes that the middle class tax payer should shoulder the brunt of all the free giveaways to low income! Mr. Obama if you truly care about the working guy then you will stop pandering to the rich and make them pay for what they have done! All in the name of greed the rich shipped our jobs out of this country and put millions of people out of work, millions of people are losing their homes, millions have lost their health care, yes the rich are responsible for this! The rich have put untold millions on the umemployment lines and when that runs out they are going on assistance! It wont be long before theres more going out in aid then is coming in from tax dollars thanks to the rich! The people of this country are going to have to decide whether or not they want to keep the wealth in this country or give it to the rest of the world!

August 14, 2009 at 12:29 pm |
  6. Elizabeth Medina

I've been trying to figure out how I can be a part of 30-Second Pitch.

I'm an unemployed educational paraprofessional and have been looking for work for quite some time now. I've been on loads of interviews and have my application on file with hundreds of school districts in a 45-minute drive of my house. While I'm a very highly qualified individual, I lack sufficient experience and usually lose out to certified people, i.e. people who have teaching certificates (I have to heavily compete against the laid off teachers out there).

I have an 86-year-old grandfather that relies heavily on me for care and to get around. I also have hefty molthly car payments and have been trying hard to meet those monthly car payments so that my grandfather can continue to rely on me for care and mobility.

Can some please contact me about the 30-Second Pitch?

August 14, 2009 at 12:37 pm |
  7. 30-Second Pitch Feedback is needed!

I love the fact that you are doing the 30-second pitch segment. And I love that you are so supportive of all the pitchers. I am a presentation skills coach working with entrepreneurs and other business professionals. I feel it would be really helpful for these pitchers to get on air feedback on how they are presenting themselves. As I'm sure you are aware, over 90% of communication is non-verbal. I could give all of the pitchers some really helpful tips on vocal tone, (so many already sound defeated or insecure) , content organization (Most people fail to express What's In it for the Employer. What value is this job applicant bringing to the table) and word choice (more powerful word choices would help). I am also very camera friendly since I'm an professional actress as well as a trainer. You can see a short clip of a dynamic presentation I gave at TD Bank last month by going to my website: http://www.SpeakETC.com I'd love to be a commentator for this segment.. Let me know if this is something that might interest you.

August 18, 2009 at 1:54 am |
  8. Kyle

Hello! My name is Kyle Aevermann, I'm also a CNN iReporter. I've been out of work since last December. I was going to school at Arizona State and was going to transfer to the CSB School of Broadcasting in downtown Chicago and be closer to my family. Unfortunately, the school filed for bankruptcy a week before I was supposed to start. I have also been unable to find work. I thought for awhile, thinking I should just take any job to make some money right now, and after applying to places such as Target and grocery stores, I was told I was overqualified for those positions. I didn't know one could be over qualified to work at Target. However, because I don't have my full degree yet, I am under-qualified for many of the jobs I would like. Most of my experience has been with children, working at before and after school programs, summer day cares, and working one on one with special needs children. I also have done a lot of volunteer work with Big Brother Big Sister, the Susan G Komen Foundation, Local Museums, ABC's Extreme Make Over: Home Edition, and of course CNN iReport. To let me self stand out and hopes that I will get more attention and hopefully get a job, I have started my own public access show in the Chicago area. Although we are still waiting officially on a time slot, many episodes have aired on YouTube. I would love the opportunity to have a 30-second pitch and try to help get me a job. I'm really ready for one and I don't know where to look anymore! I hope to talk to you soon!

August 20, 2009 at 3:14 pm |
  9. Jennifer Schultz

Hello Kyra – I have been watching your 30-second pitch and unfortunately, it really hits home for our family right now. My husband, Jeff was recently laid off from his executive sales position due to the poor economy.

Our heads are spinning as we search the job market for another position. We have 3 school age daughters and we worry what the future will hold for our family. While we try to stay in the "now", it's very hard not to think and worry about what will happen if months go by without a job... "Will we lose our home?" "Can we pay our bills?" "Will our daughters have to change schools?" "Will we need to relocate?"

Jeff has been very successful in his 20 years in the medical and IT sales industries. He is a well-spoken, energetic, upbeat and intelligent person; with a personality that lights up a room the minute he enters.

Our family would so appreciate it if you could include Jeff in your 30-second pitch to help facilitate his job search. He has a great presence and a personality that viewers would just love. I know we do!

Thank you for your consideration!
    -Jennifer Schultz

August 20, 2009 at 5:37 pm |
  10. Life Changer

Jobs are hard to come by and if you've never been taught how to interview it's even more of a challenge. You can't interview unless you get the interview, so my first bit of advice is....if you're sending the same resume to 100 different companies...STOP...every job is different, every job has different needs and the resume needs to be tailored for that specific job...if you're spending money to have your resume professionaly written you're throwing your money away...write it yourself and rersearch every company that you are submitting to. Make the appropriate changes to it so it has many of the strengths that are needed for that specific job.
    Many tips that you are getting for free on the internet might be hurting you more than helping you....reading that you have to close and follow up is good but if you don't know how, what good is it? As an example, you know when building a house you need to install plumbing and electricity but if you don't know how to do it, it's not going to work.

Interviewing is something that has to be taught or you will go through interview after interview doing the same things and making the same mistakes never knowing what you're doing wrong.

September 28, 2009 at 1:58 pm |
  11. John

I would also like to be part of the 30 second pitch. How do I upload a video?

October 6, 2009 at 12:34 pm |