Today on CNN Newsroom

August 21st, 2009

No More Cash for Your Clunkers

The Cash for Clunkers program ends Monday.

Through this past Wednesday, dealers reported more than 457,000 transactions under the program – which translated into $1.9 billion in rebates.

Auto sales are up – and some carmakers are even re-opening closed plants to keep up with the new demand.

But – lots of dealers are complaining that the government is slow to process rebate checks. And that’s putting the dealers in a financial lurch.

That's the brief version of the story. Your turn now.

What are your thoughts on the Cash for Clunkers program? Was it a success? A failure? Should the government do it again? Should the government never have done it at all?

Post your comments below.

Filed under: Heidi Collins
  1. chris dellinger

i been reading the whole story on this. the cash for both set of programs went to fast. people have to wait it paper work get approved first then double check. then they sent off to people send out clunker checks to car dealers. problem we had. to many people use the program and did not last long for each we set up. so they people doing paper work where over whelmed. so going to take time to get all checks out since to many dealers used this program.

August 21, 2009 at 8:04 am |
  2. David

According to the article at CNN.com August is the first million plus retail sales month in a year, so I think the program is a success given it's goal, to get more fuel efficient, less polluting cars on the road. In better economic conditions, I don't think there would be any question and the program would be viewed as a great deal in addition to being a stimulus for the auto industry.

I am going to the doctor this morning and might miss the morning newsroom, so it would be nice to have link to the CNN.com article in this blog post.

It's good to see the healthcare discussion getting into the substantive details. Good to see the look at how the number of uninsured people is figured out, and hopefully more coverage on how costs can be lowered.

August 21, 2009 at 8:57 am |
  3. Mike Posey

Just saw the story of the bomb in Baghdad....pretty grim stuff...the people "blame" the Iraqui Security Forces? That's rich...The Prime Minister thinks they're just fine....American spent 7 years fighting in that city, kept the place reasonably OK...Now, the badly trained, almost nonchalant "Iraqi Army" is doing the "job"? When that Army was really well-equipped, had mustard gas, thousands of tanks, under Sadaam, they couldn't beat the Iranians, or the United States. Why would anyone think that they can beat a well-trained, well-equipped insurgent force? Somehow the guy we put in charge over there is about as smart as Bush 43....which isn't too awful smart.....Anyhow it'll take more attacks like this one to get something done. Let the Marines go through Baghdad, clean up those clowns, and maybe spend some time training the "Iraqi Army".....Stories like this make me sad, and angry at the same time...I've seen things like this before, in another war, in your birth country, a long, long time ago....We cut and ran, now it's a Commie Paradise, complete with a Hilton Hotel, for God's Sake....Mike Posey Lakeside CA

August 21, 2009 at 9:16 am |
  4. John A Babitskas in Atlanta

Bett y, every car bought will need to be replaced into inventory. That means Jobs. An auto worker with a paycheck is a consumer. The statement that it will take awy from school supply purchases is a little bit ingenious. John.

August 21, 2009 at 9:18 am |
  5. Bryan- Los Angeles

The "Cash fo Clunkers" program has been great for those in need of a new car. Unfortunately the already struggling car dealers are fuming over the difficulties in getting reimbursed by the government and many opted out of the program some time ago.

Is this a indication of how well a National Health Care plan would work?

August 21, 2009 at 9:18 am |
  6. N.G.

Well it’s a great program if the white house just bailed out a few of these car companies, this way you can inflate the numbers and act like the bailout worked. Oh wait… That is exactly what’s going on.
    This idea was a shame, Most of these ‘clunkers’ would be perfect in a used car lot, sold to people who cannot afford to buy a new car even with the $4,500. Now these cars are going to end up in landfills, dumps and salvage yards. They are not getting recycled just adding up to the pile.

also, only 7% of the dealerships have recived thier money for these clunkers, I wonder how many will get lost in the cracks of the massive bureaucratic machine that the current administration is.

August 21, 2009 at 9:19 am |
  7. sharon

The goverment couldn't pay the dealers their money in 10 days. And the goverment thinks they will be able to run a health care program. It will end up like the clunkers program cancelled. Then people will really be in trouble with no health insurance.

August 21, 2009 at 9:19 am |
  8. Betty

This Cash for Clunkers just seems like a temporary fix . What happens when the cash incentive is no longer there. Won't new car sales drop drasticly then. That can't be good for the economy. I don't think destroying all the clunkers is a good idea some of them look like good servicable vehicles that could be put to good use for people who can't afford a new car, seems to be a terrible waste there. I know fuel economy is the reason they are being destroyed,but a lot of them will wear out soon anyway. Why not let someone get some use out of them instead of wasting them.

August 21, 2009 at 9:24 am |
  9. Mike Christen

Cash for clunkers. Pat the lobbists on the back boys ya did it. Screwed the American economically disadvantaged again. Those who could barely afford to eat now have a car payment and those of us that needed parts to keep our only transportation running are out of luck. It is ironic for me that in your advertising logo you chose the exact model of Ford pickup I need body parts for. Car dealers have a windfall. Scrap yards have a windfall. I get a big ticket and court fines because I have to drive my truck with a crushed bed. Thanks 😦

August 21, 2009 at 9:24 am |
  10. Elizabeth from the Heartland

The car dealership owner described the government reimbursement of cash for clunkers as incompetent, but, O, Yeah, keep the money coming. If the Dept of Trans rushes the money thru the system and, later, fraud is detected, everyone will scream about how incompetent was this government program. How easy do these dealers think it is for a gov't agency to process individual dealer claims from 50 states with who knows how many dealers participating. They cry about gov't incompetence, yet rub their hands together thinking about the $s in from the gov't hand out. I wish the money would have gone to help some of the families who have no or limited health care than to car dealers who complain about the process.

August 21, 2009 at 9:27 am |
  11. Paul Duffey

I don't think enough credit has being given to Cash For Clunkers. When I worked in the auto industry, over 5500 companies supplied GM, alone. Although GM is quite a bit smaller these days, I'm sure there are at least this many companies supplying the U.S. auto industry today. The approximately 500,000 vehicles sold under this program hasn't even begun to show the ripple effect it will have on the economy. Inventories have been depleted, and auto manufacturers and their suppliers are just now beginning to re-hire people to restock their inventories. I think this will be the most effective use of stimulus money, to date, although I think the funding should be continued for at least another 45 days, and a similar effort should be implemented in the housing industries. Think of all the businesses affecting in building a home.

August 21, 2009 at 9:29 am |
  12. j r walker

I have for "years" driven fuel economical autos. Now I am asked to pay tax to help those who have NOT been responsible! I am against the program. Maybe the government should "help" the resposible owners by giving their efficient autos to those who drive hogs. Then they could reward good behavior by financially assisting the replacement of the vehicles taken in.

August 21, 2009 at 9:48 am |
  13. David

I guess all Playboy models are "swimsuit" models now!

August 21, 2009 at 9:54 am |
  14. Lori C.

Cash for Clunkers seems to have been a good idea. Hopefully people who needed a new vehicle but were a few thousand dollars short got to purchase one now because of this program.

August 21, 2009 at 10:01 am |
  15. Doug Marcon

Cash for Clunkers money is from TARP? Yes?
    CNN is stating 1.9 billion, but does this not
    represent the actual loan/TARP?

TARP = LOAN = principal plus interest? Yes?
    1.9 billion – loan ? What is actual TARP loan for
    Cash for Clunkers.?

Doug

August 21, 2009 at 10:07 am |
  16. jack

How long can we prop the union up?

August 21, 2009 at 10:07 am |
  17. Paul LeClerc

Let me get this straight. My taxes bailed out the auto makers. More of my taxes went to cash for clunkers, and everyone is excited and calling this a success because workers in Canada are going back to work. Didn't Obama promise not to reward companys who send work out of the country. Im not getting any of this. Funny my Toyota is made more here in the USA then any american car....go figure

August 21, 2009 at 10:08 am |
  18. Scott

It is hard to understand why so many folks are speaking negatively about a program that obviously is successful, putting people to work, increasing environmental responsibility and most importantly, cycling money through the economy.

Stop focusing on the bumps in the road like prompt payments to the dealers, etc. They will get their money. 'Clunkers' has only been going for less than a month and my guess it will be reinstated wenthere is approval to put more money toward it.

August 21, 2009 at 10:09 am |
  19. Bill Michael

Are the consumers who took advantage of the Cash for Clunkers program going to pay Federal, State, or Local taxes on the $4,500.00? I think the $4,500.00 should be looked upon as income and should be taxed. If not, then where is MY SHARE of the money?

August 21, 2009 at 10:11 am |
  20. Lelon Cross

Thanks to "Big Government" having all the answers again, we now have 457,000 more people that are further in debt. Also, now where do all the garages, service centers, and tire dealers line up to get their stimulis money to stay in business, since these new vehicles won't need their products and services for a year. When will the polititians figure out that our country also has a balance of ecomomics, and if you mess with one part, it screws up another.

August 21, 2009 at 10:13 am |
  21. Judith

We purchased a new Kia Rio on August 2 with "Cash for Clunkers". Not only did my Explorer quality for the full $4,500, the dealer gave us an additional $1,000 off. We ended up paying less then $10,000 for a very nice car that is getting 25 mpg. It cost $23.53 cents to fill the 11.9 gallon tank and I had driven it for 235 miles. I think this has been a wonderful program and had it not been for the assistance I would not have been able to get a brand new car, which I desparately needed. We live in the Midwest and often these "deals" don't even make it to the interior of our country. I am very grateful that I don't have to worry my car is going to break down every time I start it. Insofar as I am concerned, this was one of the best ideas our new government has had yet. But then, I'm an Obama supporter to the max.

August 21, 2009 at 10:13 am |
  22. John

'Cash for Clunkers' – Can nobody see past the end of their nose? Let's face it – most people driving around in a 3k junker do so because they cannot or will not carry a loan. Now we have made it possible for people to exchange that junker for a 20k+ vehicle.

Are we ready for the onslaught of auto loans that will be defaulted on? Will all those future loan defaults be added to the cost of this already bloated program? Once again, the banks are going to have issues and no doubt the government will be running to bail them from the results of another poor decision by the Obama administration.

August 21, 2009 at 10:13 am |
  23. Bryan- Los Angeles

Sharon I agree with you fully!!!
    If the Government can't handle a car deal properly how can we expect them to handle our health care??? It will get to the point where doctors and hospitals won't accept the plan due to reimbursement problems. The "Cash for Clunkers" was a test for the Government and it failed.

Instead of spending money creating new programs......lets fix the fraud in the present system.

August 21, 2009 at 10:13 am |
  24. James Dotson

All cash For Clunkers is...Is a cash handout to the auto industry.Consumers are getting screwed and just think they are getting deals.Nobody who knows anything about buying new cars pays the sticker or MSRP price's.Dealers will knock $5000 or more off a price with hardly any haggling.Consumers need to go to
    Edmunds.com and get educated before shopping for cars.You want to pay "dealer invoice" or close to it.If the dealer will not deal go someplace else.Deals are out there.Wait and see what deals you can find in September through December, you'll be shocked.The news
    agencies are at blame to helping promote this Clunkers Program and not doing good investigative reporting on what kind of deals people can really get on a new car purchase even without a cash for clunker deal.I find the whole thing pretty funny.

August 21, 2009 at 10:14 am |
  25. TOM LAWLEY

THE CARS PROGRAM HAS ADDED A SHOT IN THE ARM TO EVERYONE IN THE BUSINESS, BUT IT IS A LOT OF WORK FOR LITTLE RETURN. CARS ARE DEPLETED FROM INVENTORIES, SKEPTACISM LIES IN ALL DEALERS WHETHER THEY'LL BE PAID, AND FUTURE BUYERS HAVE BEEN SUCKED OUT OF THE WOODWORK.

ALL THAT SAID IT HAS RAISED ATTITUDES AND EMPLOYEE MORALE. I THINK THE WORST IS COMING FOR THE BUSINESS AFTER THIS BECAUSE THE MARKET IS SO BEHIND ITSELF AND THERE HAS BEEN A FALSE SENCE THE BUSINESS IS BACK. WE CAN ONLY HOPE IT "KEEPS ROLLING", BUT AFTER 15 YRS IN THE BUSINESS I'M NOT COUNTING THE CHICKENS YET.

August 21, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  26. Prof. Jeffrey R Brown

I am among those economists who are not at all convinced that this program was a good idea, nor do I believe it was a "success" just because it was popular. I've outlined my reasons in more detail on my research center's blog (www.businesspublicpolicy.com), but the gist of it is that I have a difficult time understanding why we think it is a good idea to subsidize the destruction of productive capital. Some of the logic I have heard reminds me of the "broken window" fallacy in economics in which people mistakenly believe that breaking a window is good for the economy because it provides work for the window maker. This naive view ignores that the money spent on the window would have been used for something else instead.

August 21, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  27. John Sulano

This was a GREAT shot in the arm for the auto industry. I recently visited China two months ago and I did not notice any clunkers. I asked a cab driver where all the old cars were? Government mandate: they have to recycle every five years. WOW.

The only problem I saw with this program is that it should have been:
    Cash For Clunkers – Qualification: Buy American cars only. Profits stay here in the USA instead of being sent to Japan.
    I am pretty sure this program helped Japan's bottom line!

August 21, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  28. Michelle

Dear President Obama,

I like you. I really respect you in a number of ways. There is no doubt in my mind that your heart is in the right place. But why don't you do what the rest of us with big hearts had to do once we realized it wasn't enough to just have a good idea. Study the real IMPACTS of good idea policies. Study old policies and see what the unforeseen results and unintended consequences were. The answer is that none of them ended up where they were invisioned. Government plans just don't work as advertised. AMTRAK was funded with the idea it would become self-sufficient many years ago. Well now it's still sucking tons of money from the public coffers instead. Medicare and Social Security as we all know are on the brink of bankrupcy. To the tune of 60 TRILLION dollars. That's not billions, that's trillions. Welfare was supposed to be a temporary leg up for people, but we all know that instead ended up as an incentive for permanent dependence in so many cases. Who thought that would happen when it was first passed?

Now with your approval rating in freefall, you are using the "morality" card. But Mr. President, that doesn't make any economic sense to say we have an obligation to give up our money. Where does that stop? Does that mean the more money you give up, the more moral you are? To follow that logic, why not give up all our money to be the most moral. All working people should give all their money to all the non-working people to be the most moral. But now we have no money to eat or drive to work and can no longer produce, and the others weren't working in the first place. Morality arguments bump into the reality of economics Mr. President. As do universal coverage or any good hearted ideas that don't look at the reality of scarce resources on this planet on which we live.

Whether it's healthcare or cash for clunkers, it's not enough enough to just be an idea that "sounds good."

August 21, 2009 at 10:25 am |
  29. eolufemi

These dealers are crazy.

You're criticizing the very government that saved their collective tails, cause everybody knows none of these consumers would have been buying cars otherwise.

Besides, as a tax-payer I don't want the government disburse $3 billion dollars in ten days to anyone. Especially with the level of fraud and white collar crime private industry has proven they are not above engaging in.

I think the program is an excellent example of just how effective the government can be in adjusting the market in our collective favor. The only mistake the government made was leading the dealers to believe the money would immediately be available. I don't think 30 to 60 days to reimburse the dealers is inappropriate, considering how beneficial the deal has been to them.

I wish the rest of us entrepreneurs could have the government provide such a huge incentive for our customers to do business with us.

August 21, 2009 at 10:26 am |
  30. Kenneth Goldman

Cash for clunkers was successful because it was a tax money-giveaway program. It helped the auto industry and put middle and upper class people into shinier cars. It had nil impact on the environment – which was its stated purpose.

The program destroyed a half-million useful cars valued at $1 billion-plus which could have gone to needy persons or countries with serious transportation needs. The $$$$ program again illustrates how loose this administration is with our tax dollars.

August 21, 2009 at 10:31 am |
  31. Josie

Seeing how the money ran out so quickly, I wished they would have made the conditions more steep to help the environment. At the very least, to help our country, they should have made it a requirement to have to replace your old car with an AMERICAN MADE car. (I realize American made cars are not all American... and I still wouldnt buy them but hey.... I thought this program was to help our own country, not someone else's.)

August 21, 2009 at 10:38 am |
  32. Eric Kuczma

Terrible program – another auto industry bailout thinly disguised as a "green program." I thought the program was supposed to "recycle" the automobiles – how are they being recycled? Basically the government is paying people to consume more. Wouldn't it make more "green" sense to get people to hang onto those "clunkers" as long as they could? Better still, resell them or give them away to those who could use an automobile but can't afford a new one? That's a better option than destroying the vehicle.

August 21, 2009 at 10:39 am |
  33. Alan

Betty it was a good idea. No they should not do it again. And as far as your guest, sounds to me llke he sold a lot of cars. And I know you heard the president and the people in charge of getting the cash out for those clunkers it is on the way. What a bad problem he has waiting for his 4 million dollars. sounds like sales were good for him.
    You could not find a positive story huh.

August 21, 2009 at 10:40 am |
  34. Mike-Tulsa

For all those complaining about their tax dollars buying other people's cars under the Clunker program, I made sure the $4500 I got was from the considerable tax dollars I pay the Fed Govt every year.

August 21, 2009 at 10:40 am |
  35. Jessica

The cash for clunkers is WORST idea from Congress!! Yes, most people are able to afford to cash in there old cars for newer car because they make more than the majority of Americans. Just another way to weed out the poor again!!! You need to stop and realize that the POOR- WORKING CLASS are the people who keep everyone in business, such as state workers, businesses, and even congress!! You would think that congress would have alot more gratitude for this and HELP the lower class people for once!!!!!!

August 21, 2009 at 10:41 am |
  36. Poet E.L.Conrod

It's only a success Betty if all sides are happy. At this point, it sounds like the dealers, at least for the moment, are not to thrilled. Sounds like a very slow turn around for reimbursements. I think however in the end the dealers will want to bring this program back. When it's over, sales will come to a halt.

August 21, 2009 at 10:42 am |
  37. Jonathan

Cash for Clunkers simply said is free money for people who can afford a brand new vehicle. Are they the ones who really need help? What about those who can only afford second hand cars?

August 21, 2009 at 10:42 am |
  38. John Overall

What bothers me is the waste. Why can't the "clunkers" be cut up/ taken apart for parts (like a legal chop shop) which will get them off the road, but benefit those who have kept their own similar cars, or sold to third world or other nations who have desperate shortages of cars. In this way, they could even lessen the drain on taxpayers who are paying for this, by getting some return back. I have a friend who traded in a wonderful SAAB convertible that was purring like a kitten, and good for a number more years. Since the future of SAAB is in question, parts for existing SAABs may be at a premium.

And once the program is over, there's nothing to say that the business boom will continue. Hirebacks may be very premature.

Why think through a good idea, when a half baked one will do.....

August 21, 2009 at 10:46 am |
  39. Phil

I think the program is great and those that can take advantage of the program should. My only problem is I do not agree with those individuals that purchase foreign vehicles with this program.....USA

August 21, 2009 at 10:47 am |
  40. Ken Michigan

Great program! I wish they would extend it for 30 more days. I have a clunker that I would like to trade in but I was not avalable for the last four weeks and thought I would have till September 1st to trade it in. However I have been informed by the three dealers I buy my cars from and they have already shut it down. Such a great program why can't it be extended 30 or more additional days?

August 21, 2009 at 10:49 am |
  41. suhail

two sides of a coin positive aspect and the negative aspect ,well cash for clunker has boosted american auto sales auto maker calling in workers strongly i believe its kind of 2 early 2 do that but look at the big picture STIMULUS money going 2 open market thats what the market needs slow down the process but do not stop it yes once shelfed or stopped car sales will go down but by then we have 3 to 4 billion out in the market .cause most of the stimulus given out is being held back yes banks r giving loan but people with good credit..Plus when u trade your clunker for new car u r moving more then compared 2 what u were doing in your old ones esteem his high and u strive harder,times r bad people r hustling 2 pay bills even a networker is settling for handy man job

August 21, 2009 at 10:50 am |
  42. David

What about us who need help because of job loss/injury and cannot afford food/housing, never mind to pay the monthly mortgage payment of many new cars? Help this way instead of giving money to those who probably could have afforded the car anyway. So many programs help those who can afford things-typical government programs.

August 21, 2009 at 10:51 am |
  43. Pat

As long as our government catches up on their paper work and the dealers get paid, I think it's a huge success. I work for a railroad and am about to get called back to work from a lay off. Yes there is many reasons why rail traffic is picking up, but cash for clunkers is a huge part of it..

August 21, 2009 at 10:54 am |
  44. Parthenia

I think the Cash for Clunkers program was a huge success. I sincerely hope it is the last time the President has to so boldly reach out to help inspite of the stone cold efforts of the right wingers to try to bring him down. It’s time to move on with his plans and it’s time out for trying things that won’t work. Many have enjoyed the program for what it was meant to be and that’s all that was intended to be accomplished. Those dealers that haven’t gotten their paper work completed should not receive a dime unless they do complete them and show conclusively that they’ve taken on clunkers that qualify for the money. There’s no room for unaccountability in the Cash for Clunkers program, or any other program the President and his administration comes up with that will be as successful.

August 21, 2009 at 10:57 am |
  45. ken in ontario

i can see how cash for clunkers helped bail out dealers and
    manufactures this year, but what about next year and the year
    after that.
    this has inticed a lot of people to deal who probably intended to
    wait, now there will far less people buying for the next few years.

August 21, 2009 at 11:10 am |
  46. Bryan- Los Angeles

The trillions of dollars spent by the Obama administration is staggering!!! And now they want to spend even more on Health Care Reform!!

Instead of all the bail outs and new programs.......the administration should have just given each tax paying citizen $1 million dollars!! That way...we could pay off our houses, buy our new car and get our own health insurance and still have a nest egg! We could each stimulate the economy and it would have cost all of us much less!!!

August 21, 2009 at 11:20 am |
  47. ProudNative

how can you say this is a success? I don't see it being a success till the goverment pay all these dealers for those cars.

August 21, 2009 at 12:31 pm |
  48. John Serbin

If the government is having problems running the $2B "Cash-for-Clunkers" program, it gives me pause thinking of how it will manage its proposed changes to healthcare, which is about 1/6th of our GDP.

August 21, 2009 at 12:47 pm |
  49. Mark

You're kidding right? Most of these dealers were on their way out of business and have the nerve to complain about receiving a "pink" life preserver? We should have let them drown! The government needs to STOP taking tax payer dollars, giving it to banks and auto companies to give back to us after they tack on interest.

What JEFF neglected to mention was the fact MOST dealers aren't paying their sales staff on deals until the deal clears funding. And, most dealers are commission only. I have a friend in California due almost $6,000 in a "recession." Moreover, the dealers don't have enough inventory, so they aren't discounting cars as they normally would and some are even adding a premium. Asinine?
    It gets better.

So, the auto companies start hiring again. Good right? This distorts the unemployment numbers along with the fact many people have given up looking or have fallen off the roll.

The average American is tired of being misled. Next time, at least kiss me before you "explicative" me!

August 21, 2009 at 12:51 pm |
  50. Robert Lake,MI

Good about time, another free giveaway gone bad! Not sure why Obama did it to begin with, the auto industry already has been bailed out, what wasnt enough? The majority of people who actually qualified for this giveaway will end up losing those cars to non payments anyway, great job Obama you let people who coulnt afford a car to begin with go further into debt they wont be able to pay off! Hey Obama instead of having free giveaways to people who deserve it the least how about bringing jobs back to this country! Robbing Peter to Paul can only last so long till everyones bankrupt!

August 21, 2009 at 12:55 pm |
  51. Ray -

With the success of Cash for Clunkers there are lessons to learn. Government should support free markets, not take them over. The 3 billion for this program generated more jobs in the auto industry, put buying power in the peoples hands, and supported the finance industry through credit applications. Compare that to the 26 billion auto bailout that led to bankruptcy. Maybe if 3 billion Cash for Clunkers had been the first response, we could have saved 23 billion, kept government out of the auto business, avoided auto bankruptcies, and still allow people to make their own decisions through choice and competition. Now, how can we apply that thinking to healthcare?

August 21, 2009 at 1:01 pm |
  52. Robert Lake,MI

Cash for Clunkers was a complete failure! People who got the new cars now have a payment most of them wont be able repay, so even more tax dollars to bail these people out! I say if your on any form of public assistance you should be banned from having any loans, credit cards, cell phones, satiellite or cable tv! Its called going without! I grew up poor these are the things we didnt have because we couldnt afford them and eat too, now everyones standing in line for a free handout, enough! Time to take personal responsibility and not expect the tax payer to fund all of the things I have to work for to have!

August 21, 2009 at 1:06 pm |
  53. Kyle

I agree with JR. Another program to reward "entitlement" and bad behavior. Why does every tax payer have to pay for this? When are the people who behaved responsibly going to get an "opportunity" be "bailed out." I feel like the government's a big cell phone company. New customers who hop from company to company like fleas get all the benefits. You don't get anything if you're a loyal customer but Richard! Jack buys a house he can't afford with plasma t.v.s in every room, no problem Joe and Mike will bail him out. Jack buys a Ford Excursion SUV, no problem Maria and Steve will bail him out with the money they saved buying their Prius and Accord. Meanwhile Maria, Steve, Joe and Mike lose half their 401k three months before losing their jobs of 30 years. God Bless America.

August 21, 2009 at 1:14 pm |
  54. Robert Lake,MI

If Obama really cared about the middle class as he proclaimed in his campaign for Prez, he would stop the free giveaways to people who dont earn it and start bringing jobs back! He needs to stop all the number juggling to make it look like he`s done something and actually do something for the middle class! The middle class is the backbone of this country and he`s forgotten this apparently! When he`s done destroying whats left of the middle class then all those standing in line wont be able any longer simply because their Sugar Daddies (middle class) went dry, belly up!

August 21, 2009 at 1:14 pm |
  55. Tyler

Cash for Clunkers?
    or Cash to Clunkers?
    (not my fellow Americans but the poorly run auto industry, banking industry, insurance industry, et. al)

Whether you call it TARP, TALF, Fannie Mae, Ginne Mae, Freddie Mac, or Big Mac with cheese... it's all WELFARE! Good ideas poorly executed and paid for by taxpayers who didn't get to decide to pay. It was just taken from us like rape victims.

America is like a meth addict on a binge. And, Uncle Sam is like a pusher who instead of letting us go through the pain of withdrawal keeps giving us more and more drugs. One day we will O.D.

August 21, 2009 at 1:32 pm |
  56. Antonio Vega, Va

Its bad enough that we bailed these corporations who even put these Ridicuoulsy big SUVs into production and on the road in the first place. Butif the government bails themself out of their own plan and decides not to compensate the car companies at all or not in a reasonable amount of time then they will have put us back near ths same spot we started.

August 21, 2009 at 3:06 pm |