Today on CNN Newsroom

September 1st, 2009

Jaycee Dugard: Mental Health Experts Predict a Lifetime of Therapy for Her and Her Daughters

No sooner was Phillip Garrido in custody for the alleged abduction of Jaycee Dugard than he began talking. Posted below is the entirety of his nearly 10-minute jailhouse interview with KCRA reporter Walt Gray. Mental health experts have been having a field day ever since. Last weekend many of those experts appeared on CNN to comment both on Garrido's bizarre statements and on the probable mental state of Jaycee Dugard and her two daughters, allegedly fathered by Garrido during Dugard's 18 years of captivity, and what it will take for them to overcome this unbelievable ordeal.

Filed under: Clips from CNN Newsroom • Don Lemon
  1. Mike Armstrong TX.

You can tell just by looking at Phillip Garrido that he's a sick puppy I think the person who turned him loose deserves prison time just for being stupid.

September 1, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  2. Edwin Stevens

I have had cnn.com as the home page on my computer for years. I just read a headline that refers to the Dugard family as "Garrido Girls". Please tell me that this was just an editing mistake and that you people aren't that insensitive. Garrido girls, really, really. Should we call the victims of 9/11 the "Saudi group" or the "Osama 3000". What is wrong with you. You can bet I'll be changing my homepage to MSN.

September 1, 2009 at 7:04 pm |
  3. Carisa

Phillip Garrido should never had been released from prison. He should have if not then, now should receive the death penalty. Why should he have better shelter then those girls have had. Now he is in jail and will be protected for his own safety from other inmates. While we all pay taxes for him and others like him to have shelter, protection & 3 course meals, (Boy does he have the life!). I also feel that anyone who can defend him has got to be just as sick because that tells me that the money they make is worth more then the life of all children & woman. HE WILL NEVER CHANGE!

September 1, 2009 at 9:57 pm |
  4. Yvonne Hendren, Kooskia Idaho

You know, currently many villent, high risk criminals, sex offenders or not, are required to sign a fourth ammendment waiver in order to even be considered for parole. I'm wondering what the stirctness of the laws was back in 91-92 compared to today and what the saturation level was for these policies and procedures.

I am also of the opinon, and probably playing devils advocate here, that Mrs. Garrido may have been just as mucha victim at first, but then culpible, and it makes me wonder if he wasn't training Jaycee and her daughters to mentally accept that as well.

September 2, 2009 at 11:25 am |
  5. Betty Phillips

Garrido did the crime (or should I say crimes) I have kept up with this story and it seems that the Police and Child welfare workers are so guilty of letting this beautiful little girl become Garrido's play toy!! Now everyone is trying to place the blame, it seems to me that there are many to take the blame. I pray the two daughters of Jaycee can some day have a near normal life, I will always believe the Mother (Jaycee) did her very best to protect them and give them love, but, that can be a difficult thing to do when you are guarded every moment by a monster!
    May God bless Jaycee and the two little girls. May you rot in Hell Garrido and take your wife with you. I will never understand why this closed mouth woman did not do the right thing. Maybe he was abusive with her, but, Garrido had to sleep sometimes and then the golden chance was there to set the three little angels free!!!!
    Betty Phillips

September 2, 2009 at 2:54 pm |
  6. Hal Nelson

If there was ever a song that was meant for this story, it's Journey's "Separate Ways". Listen closely to the lyrics – it's as if you are hearing Jaycee Dugard's mother's silent prayer to her daughter for the past 18 years. If this doesn't bring tears to your eyes, I don't know what will. It's proof that a mother's love and hope for her child can never be destroyed, no matter how dire the situation appears.

September 3, 2009 at 5:35 pm |
  7. Mike Armstrong TX.

This another movie maker this guy is guilty he should plea bargin and skip the trial to keep from incriminating himself further.

September 5, 2009 at 9:06 am |
  8. shadB

This is a truely disturbing issue. Iam the father of a baby girl and it's scary knowing that i have to raise her with perverts in this world. There is no way that a sex offender can change. He/she has ruined a childs life forever and that's something that can't be given back to them. Therapy will be no good in this situation because if a person can hurt a child in such a evil way, they can do it again and should be locked away for good with real perverts!

September 28, 2009 at 12:03 pm |