Today on CNN Newsroom

September 3rd, 2009

Recession Reality Check

Nearly nine in ten Americans say the country's still in a recession, according to a new CNN/Opinion Research Corporation national poll.

But some economists think it's just about over and there are positive signs with consumer spending, residential construction and technology sales gaining.

What do you think? Take the Quick Vote poll or leave your comments.

Is the Recession Over?

Filed under: Tony Harris
  1. David Foale

A recession is not just about statistics. Its about how you feel as much as anything. Are you feeling confident. Are your finances in OK shape.

I remember when were were supposedly still heading for a recession. The ordinary person on the street, would have told you back then, that he feels he is already in a recession.

The statistics we all hear about might say double dip or w shape etc. but the reality is that its going to fell like a long continous recession for many ordinary citizens.

September 3, 2009 at 9:53 am |
  2. Joseph

US companies are broke and the world will soon find out causing US Dollar to weaken greatly. Doom's Day

September 3, 2009 at 9:54 am |
  3. michael armstrong sr.

When the prices at the supermarket start falling and other companys without government help stop trying to make a living off from one person then and only then will I beleave it's getting better.

September 3, 2009 at 10:00 am |
  4. Jannise Mora

No one has a right to slap, hit, or verbally abuse a child. This man has anger management issues and is a threat to the citizens who come in contact with him. As a teacher, I know that any time a child experiences hostile behavior their brain is physically hampered for 45minutes to 1 hour after the experience. Thankfully, someone intervened in this situation and stopped the man from his actions.

September 3, 2009 at 10:05 am |
  5. Bernadette Loesch

Christine Romans is correct when she states that although statistics show a very slight uptick in numbers, it does NOT by any means prove that we have turned a major corner in this very deep recession. All of the programs and monies that Pres. Obama have pumped into the economy have helped a great deal no matter what his detractors try to prove. He should keep on track and not be influenced by the naysayers. Those people and organizations who want to see him fail are just blowing in the wind. Most level headed Americans know without a doubt that Pres. Obama is doing the right thing!

September 3, 2009 at 10:08 am |
  6. Betty Phillips

What a joke of a question!!! NO WAY is the recession over, who in their right mind would think that Obama would let a recession be over now?? He is one messed up president. It terrifies me that he wants to stop children from text messaging, he wants to tell school children what they should talk about, this is his way of having these innocent children to tell parents that they want all parents to think of Obama as being the TOP president in our Country!!! He is doing nothing but creating so much race hatred in our beloved country. People PLEASE wake up and let Obama and is radical friends know you will not take it easy while Obama is trying to mess up our Education system. He (Obama) has really proved that he, himself has a loose screw and will stop at nothing. Betty

September 3, 2009 at 10:12 am |
  7. Jannise Mora

Any recovery requires a healing period. We all know that during that period set backs happen;and, that the deeper the wound the longer the healing period takes. This recession has slashed into areas of our economy that have been repeatedly cut , time and again, leaving hundreds and thousands of Americans scared an bloody by their experiences. The American public will need to develop a thick skin in order to trust these failed corporations in the future. We, the people, will require some serious "wooing" from these corporations in order to trust them allowing the economy to recover.

September 3, 2009 at 10:19 am |
  8. Jannise Mora

The use of physical punishment on a child is not allowed. Period. I have denied physical punishment by the school system; no way would I allow a stranger to slap, spank, or yell at my child. The situation that happened in Georgia is not as rare as you think. Once, my husband and I witnessed a parent using excessive force with their own child, and we stepped in to protect the child. Once the father cooled down, he thanked us for our "rise to action."

September 3, 2009 at 10:28 am |
  9. Christian Nadal

Good Morning Tony, I just watched your piece on Madoff and how the Feds did nothing to stop him for years after they knew what he was doing, These bungling Idiots (FBI, BATFE, US ATTORNEY and Fed Courts) have known for 16 years that BATF Licensed weapons companies like Sarco, Inc, and Global Sale Limited have been selling illegal machineguns, silencers, rocket launchers etc to the public and then illegally prosecuting the purchasers and interning them into the Federal Concentration Camp System known as the BOP. Interestingly enough the so called liberal news has known this the entire time and has done nothing to stop it, will the news network do the same thing when someone like Stalin and Lennin get in and start killing 65 million people has they did in the 1930-50's. Check out all the fed cases under Christian Nadal v. Sarco, Inc. etc.

September 3, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  10. A.S Herman

Chris Brown is an angry little man. He is an manipulative liar and deserves to spend "real" time in jail where his kind belongs (abusers). He also deserves to be beaten and chewed up just like he did Rihanna.

The way this case is/was handled leaves many a teenager believing it's alright to flip out and perpetrate violence (especially towards women) with little or minute consequence. What a shame of an example of injustice.

I only wish I were a friend or family of Rihanna's so that I would of had a chance to show him how it feels to be beaten relentlessly by pounding his little fat head in...

September 3, 2009 at 12:00 pm |
  11. John A Babitskas in Atlanta

More than a half a million lost their jobs in the last month. It's time to cancel what is left of the so called stimulous and try the Republican's idea.

September 3, 2009 at 12:08 pm |
  12. Keke

I feel that time will tell if Chris is really sorry about his monstrous outburst but for now he is just concerned about his career and bringing back a positive image about himself.

A lot of young boys are huge fans of Chris, especially my little brother and if his anger can make him act in such severity then he really needs to check himself.
    His mother being calm about the situation is a good thing, but I hope she is telling him how horrible any type of abuse can be (since she was also abused).
    I do not hate Chris but if a boy at 20 can do this, what will he do when he is older or if he ever becomes a family man?

September 3, 2009 at 12:14 pm |
  13. Robert Lake,MI

Say whatever you want but until we stop bleeding jobs by the thousands everyday then we are NOT in a recovery! About health care reform, I`ve noticed one thing for the most part the people crying saying they want this health care reform are not the poor, they are already provided with better health care than I have and I pay for mine. The people crying for this public option are the ones who really could afford their own insurance but that would take them giving up their car payment, cable tv, cell phone, you know the stuff you should sacrifice so you can afford insurance. Nobody wants to give these things up for their health care so I dont feel sorry for them. They will say why should I have to go without, well I`ll tell you why you should have to go without, because you dont make enough money to have everything you want and health care should be a priority over cell phones and car payments and nights out at the bar! These people should be ashamed of themselves! Thinking I should pick up the tab for something they dont want to pay for!

September 3, 2009 at 12:46 pm |
  14. Meredith

Am I better off? Yes I am better off than I was last year at this time.
    Are we as a nation better off than it was last year at this time?
    Yes, We as a nation are better off than we were last year at this time.
    Is there light at the end of the tunnel? Yes, not only is there light at the end of the tunnel, but many of us already made it out of the tunnel and are being met with more and more fellow American citizens who are also coming out of the tunnel.
    Is the recession over? That is a big yes. The recession is over. However there is still a little hurdle left. And those who are left behind will be joining the rest of us soon.
    We live in a world of FAST FOOD JUNKIES, who are too impatient.
    Yet if we check out where we were last year 2008 at this time through the first 3 weeks of January 2009 they would have to agree that we are better off.

September 3, 2009 at 1:01 pm |
  15. Scott Stodden

Tony it may be almost over but the recession is still going on loud and strong. Everyday we see more and more businesses and companies laying people off. Unemployment is the highest its ever been in history, the economy is broke so how are we out of a recession? Get real and get right America or we in for the ride of a lifetime during the next few years.

Scott Stodden (Freeport,IL)

September 3, 2009 at 1:02 pm |
  16. Bryan

What is CNN's opinion regarding the Washington Redskins suing their fans that are experiencing hard economical times?
    This question is based on an article I read today in the Washington Post.

September 3, 2009 at 1:24 pm |
  17. Anastasia Yeager

I had an instance with my 3 year old throwing a crying fit in a military commissary in Germany. I did what I would always recommend a mother does. Ignore it and walk away always keeping within a safe distance so you can still keep your child safe. A military chaplin came around the corner into the isle and saw her and immediately tried to offer her comfort and I spoke to him from afar stating. "Please ignore her. She is my daughter and just throwing a fit". He listened and walked away and continued his shopping. Within 2 minutes she stopped her crying and came to join me again quietly. We both continued with our shopping. If you consistenly do this without fail, no more fits in stores.

September 3, 2009 at 3:24 pm |
  18. Alex

While some of the key economic indicators are certainly pointing towards positive economic growth in the subsequent quarters I would not breathe a huge sigh of relief just yet. With commercial real estate loans teetering on the edge of default and more and more people facing foreclosures there is no way that we can generate real economic growth. The corporate sector did a great job of trimming costs and improving productivity. Unfortunately, the improved productivity is a direct result of massive layoffs and the staffing of lower-paying positions with overqualified workers. This type of growth cannot be sustained for long and I am fearful of another market adjustment.

September 3, 2009 at 3:44 pm |
  19. Laura

While I don't think the recession is over, I think it has hit rock bottom and the economy has started to move in the right direction.

September 4, 2009 at 3:35 am |
  20. jim fleming

Unemployment is ugly but why don't we see numbers on all of the millions of workers who are earning less than they were a year ago? Many are only working six to seven hour shifts, some only three to four days a week, many with pay cuts as high as 50% to a low of 10%. How-ever, Obama's throwing our tax money into the ring has boosted the stock market, increased productivity and is STUFFING money into the pockets of the business owners and company executives, who threaten us we job loss if we don't over-perform, while the rest of us are taking a knife in the back! And now they want us to shell out another $50.00 bucks a week in taxes out of our pockets to pay for health care for all of the folks who don't work. This has to stop, the question is how far do we have to go to stop it.

September 4, 2009 at 7:18 am |
  21. Richana

He needs to stimulate the people to buy to help cities which will create jobs.

September 4, 2009 at 11:23 am |
  22. Parthenia

It is so idiotic to see and hear some Americans act like clowns in a circus because they think they own America. This country was made for you and me, and us all. We have an African-American President. He has all rights and privileges of any other President. All who can't understand that should try to find another planet to live on. We all live and belong here to serve and to lead in any job or other capacity. There is a multiplicity of race and ethnicity in our country. We will honor our President no matter if he's black or white or other race or ethnicity.

September 4, 2009 at 11:54 am |
  23. Rebecca Edwards

Why is it not reported that the Clinton Administration signed legislation in 1999 requiring banks to give more sub prime loans. It is completely biased for the media to not report the facts on how this housing/economic crisis started. It may have exploded during the Bush era, however the seed was planted by the Democrats.

September 4, 2009 at 12:22 pm |
  24. Mark

Websters definition of Socialism:
    Any of various economic and political theories advocating collective or governmental ownership and administration of the means of production and distribution of goods.

It does not include government services such as: Medicaid, unemployment, or retirement programs, it applys only to "production and distribution of goods"

So America is safe!!! we can remain Capitalists, we will not have to be Socialists if we have a government healthcare option.

I would also like to add, ask any politician in a country that has a government option within their health care program if they would dare to suggest taking the security net of a public health care option away completely. I think you would find Conservative and Liberal alike, they would say it is political sucide.

September 4, 2009 at 1:12 pm |
  25. Celeste

When I went to school in the 50's and 60's, we learned to respect our president. Those who believe President Obama has a hidden agenda have obviously been brain washed by all the rhetoric on the internet and some talk news radio.( and I use the word "news" lightly)
    I will never understand how you can give your child the impression that it is ok to be so biased and unwilling to listen to what the leader of the FREE world , the country they live in and should be very proud of has to say to them!!!
    By pulling them out of school and telling they should not listen to what their president has to say, is more harmful to that child than anything Mr. President could ever say. "Teach your children well!! "

September 4, 2009 at 3:09 pm |
  26. JMBarrett in No Prov RI

Technology sales are up because students are returning to school. Consumers are tired of doing without, hoarding their money, and are using stimulus rewards to purchase cars, refrigerators and the like because sometimes things break down and you need to replace them. The recession is far from over. When the 6.5 million Americans now collecting unemployment are back at work, the recession will be over.

September 4, 2009 at 3:15 pm |
  27. JMBarrett in No Prov RI

In response to Robert Lake in MI....I worked my entire life to have a pension every month. And out of that pension, fully one third goes to pay for my health coverage, and I pay GROUP RATES as a former state employee. Now you tell me, out of your salary, how much do you pay for insurance? I can almost guarantee it's not a third of your income. And how much do you think a couple earning minimum wage with two kids can afford to pay? What about the single parent who works for a company that doesn't offer insurance to its employees? I don't know who your insurer is, and I hope you never get seriously sick with an expensive disease to treat, because they'll drop you faster than you would ever imagine or raise your rates so high you'd HAVE to drop coverage or make other painful choices. It's people whose coverage is paid in full by their companies, or who pay only a small portion, who don't want reform because then they might actually have to pony up themselves. Every man, woman and child in this country should have access to affordable health care, but the insurance companies' bottom line is profit. They won't reform unless forced to, so a public option is the only answer. If Met Life, or Aetna, or AIG won't insure someone affordably, they should be able to apply to the government option. Selfish self-interest and corporate profit are driving this debate and it sickens me.

September 4, 2009 at 3:32 pm |
  28. Elaine P.

How dare you villainize business owners this morning regarding taking advantage of the bad economy by hiring part time and on-contract workers? Businesses are struggling just to keep their doors open! Most businesses in America are small businesses who pay more that their fair share of taxes, employ the majority of people in the states and spend their nights worrying about how they are going to make payroll. They pay high premiums to insurance companies to protect them from potential bogus lawsuits from anyone looking to make a buck.
    Businesses did not get us into this economic mess, selfish, greedy people buying homes they could not afford and establishing other bad dept got us into this mess.
    I have done everything that I can to be careful with my finances but I am being penalized for the gross misconduct of others.
    Leave business alone and stop sensationalizing, you don’t have the first clue. You want to spout off about businesses, try creating a successful one yourself.

September 4, 2009 at 3:45 pm |
  29. Randy N

Hi it's me again. I'm happy with what this goverment is doing. I am still running for President, I am using the Tea party ticket. The y don't have a ticket yet, but I will make it happen.Once in office I could get jobs going in 3 yes count them 3 days after, the economy would soon rebound enough that We could start fixing all of these problems We are having now. So Vote Tea Vote Randy

September 4, 2009 at 7:14 pm |
  30. linda oneill

I would like to see Tony Harris on at a later hour.

I like the way he conducts interviews in a resptful, civitized manner, and the calm way he reports the news.

In my opinion, he is the best anchor on your station today.

Linda O'Neill

September 7, 2009 at 1:05 pm |
  31. Madelyn

I think President Obama did an excellent job with the speech...I tell my granddaughters all the time basically what he said and it certainly doesn't hurt to hear this from the President, it solidifies what they have heard from me!!

I liked this...

September 8, 2009 at 12:26 pm |
  32. Janet Jaeger

I think President Obama delivered a great speech for our kids. Any parent who did not allow their child to see this speech is doing a disservice to their children. What parent would NOT want their child to finish school? PEOPLE WAKE UP!!! Kids need to finish school and they need our support.

September 8, 2009 at 12:28 pm |
  33. T.

Wonderful, wonderful speech. These young people today are so blessed to have a President who really cares.
    Yeah to Pres. Obama!!

September 8, 2009 at 12:28 pm |
  34. Jo Burke

Thank you President Obama for your inspirational speech. You made me very proud that I was an educator for 41 years. Those who did not allow students to hear the speech really lost out. Thank you for your support.

September 8, 2009 at 12:52 pm |
  35. Carolyn

The recession is not over if one single American still does not have a job, has his salary cut, his bonus pay yanked, no food, no rent, no home, no healthcare insurance and big private insurance companies have not been regulated and monitored to cut our enormous health costs!

September 8, 2009 at 2:18 pm |
  36. Carolyn

He can't see it but he is acting out the typical profile of an abuser. Been there had that done to me. Rihanna needs to get on with her life–without him.

September 8, 2009 at 2:20 pm |