Today on CNN Newsroom

September 10th, 2009

How Did the President Do?

Do you think President Obama was successful in making his case on health care reform?
Post your comments below.

Filed under: Heidi Collins
  1. Cynthia Johnston

The President did a great job explaining health insurance reform. I was also glad he called out the "lies" and "bogus claims" and warned he had no time for those who would kill reform for partisan reasons.

That Wilson clown has to go. And I hope John Boner doesn't give himself an aneurism with that hatred boiling just beneath his skin. But then, if he did, he'd have excellent health care.

The Kennedy letter was a blessing from above. Thank you, Senator Ted, for all you have done and are still doing for the regular people of this country.

Now it's time to support the President and roll his agenda.

GObama!

September 10, 2009 at 8:59 am |
  2. Greg in Houston

It was an awesome speech. Unlike his predecessor he IS a uniter. Now if the Republicans choose not to unite and move our nation forward.....they will be left behind. Congressman Joe Wilson already has been left behind by his own words and the backlash has begun. Stick a fork in South Carolina....their done.

September 10, 2009 at 9:08 am |
  3. Eric at Fort Lauderdale

Heidi,
    I think he did well but he has a long way to go on this issue. He needs to prove it. I did attempt to visit congressman Wilson's site. Conveniently its down for Maintenance or it crashed due to his outburst.

September 10, 2009 at 9:08 am |
  4. cicely123

YES! President Obama was very successful. He explained the plan well and forcefully addressed the bat-crazy claims of some of the GOP and their lunatic fringe.

September 10, 2009 at 9:10 am |
  5. Randy A

There should be severe consequences in place when you insult the Highest Office in the land. Freedom of speech is not hollering in a meeting you lie that's childish immature and something you would expect a 2 year old to do.It's unacceptable behavior. Yes I understand Wilson was passionate about what he was saying but to exhibit that type of lack of control, One wonders who we have making our decisions. Weather you're Republican, Democrat,Independent or just straddle the fence THE OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA WAS INSULTED. And even though an apology is required and accepted, he shouldn't be allowed back on the floor again because his lack of control may ERUPT AGAIN!!!

September 10, 2009 at 9:10 am |
  6. Mary Barbuto

I believe that anyone who WATCHED the speech will be convinced that the President's plan is a worthy effort and must be implemented! I think one would have to be living under a rock to NOT believe that health care reform is CRITICAL now!

September 10, 2009 at 9:10 am |
  7. Mike Armstrong TX.

I think he made the point that the American people was going to eat his health plan if it tastes bad or not.

September 10, 2009 at 9:11 am |
  8. Dana Spratt

I think his speech was very successful. If people really listened they should at least be satisfied that he is really trying even if they don't agree with some points.

September 10, 2009 at 9:11 am |
  9. Tammy

Yes I thought he did an amazing job explaining the proposed healthcare reform bill and I think those that do not want it have agendas with the healthcare industry-because like he said when they are able to pick and choose the more healthy people and drop the sickest people they profit more–it's business to them and we are lives not business!!!

September 10, 2009 at 9:13 am |
  10. bILL GARDNER

hIs rambling speech last night did little good. same old story with a few cute twists to it. Bottom line is Idon't want the govt. running my life, and most certainly my health. I have never seen anything the govt. ran or runs that got it done better. If the cash for clunkers program was an administartive nightmare, just imagine these guys running health care. No thanks!!!!

September 10, 2009 at 9:13 am |
  11. Nancy Roberts

I believed in Obama's plan before his speech but had some questions. Last night he answered most of them and I also believe it is a moral obligation to pass this bill. Bravo! Maybe we can start making cars in Detroit again!!

September 10, 2009 at 9:13 am |
  12. John P. Medvit

I supported the health bill before, now I am even more in favor of it. How can we be the only wealthy country without insurance for all. Rep. of S. Carolina was totally out of line, and should be answerable for it.

One concern I have is: What happens to those who need medical aid, but do NOT have insurance even with this program? What do street people, illegal immigrants, etc., do? I do not want to be paying for them either. I am almost to the point that if you have no insurance, then don't report to any medical institution for help only when you need it. Any parent who does not insure their children, should be fined and jailed until the payment is made. They have money for cigarettes, alcohol, and illegal drugs, then pay your rightful share.

September 10, 2009 at 9:13 am |
  13. Tom Floria

I characterize myself as a fiscally conservative Republican. However, I like Obama. I listened carefully to the speech and liked what I heard. I have emailed my Congressman and Senator and urged them to change their position against a public option (both are Democrats by the way) and support the bill in its entirety. I will turn 65 this December and will continue to work for some years. However I've never really heard anyone complain about Medicare's coverage and therefore take it as a good plan. I know of a number of rural residence in our part of Arkansas who have suffered catastrophic financial disaster because they became very ill in their old age. I especially agree with the part of Obama's speech when he said American citizens should not be forced into bankruptcy because the become ill.

September 10, 2009 at 9:14 am |
  14. Genelle

The message at the bottom of your screen flashed that illegal imigrants would be required to buy insurance in the President's plan. I believe you meant to say Legal Immigrants

September 10, 2009 at 9:14 am |
  15. Greg-San Antonio, Texas

Heidi: I think President Obama did well. Yet, the outburst from the gentleman from North Carolina brings one question to my mind. Our leaders need to remember that the national ensign of the United States is the American Eagle, not the donkey or elephant. Historically nations who are run by 'party members' have been doom to fail. Our elected leaders should remember they are there as Americans servicing America, not as a 'member of the party'.

September 10, 2009 at 9:14 am |
  16. crf43@sbcglobal.net

I think the president knocked it out of the park. I am definitely in favor of healthcare reform and after hearing last night's speech I think most Americans will be also.

September 10, 2009 at 9:14 am |
  17. Scott Babcock

Yes, very successful.

Thank you Joe Wilson! Your outburst will bring thinking members of both parties together to pass meaningful health care reform.

Scott Babcock
    Norwell, MA

September 10, 2009 at 9:14 am |
  18. Jessie

I think our President of the United States did a wonderful job at first I did'nt have a clue what was going on now Iam okay with the plan now that it has been broken down to lamen terms. Thanks Barrack Obama President of the United States. Remember that Wilson this matter should'nt be swept under the rug other countries are watching.

September 10, 2009 at 9:14 am |
  19. JOSE VALDES

I BELEIVE THE PRESIDENT DID VERY WELL.

I WAS ALREADY FAMILIAR WITH THE WAY HEALTH REFORM WILL WORK BY WATCHING THE NEWS AND BY LISTENING TO PRESIDENT OBAMA'S CAMPAIGN SPEECHES BUT I GUESS MANY PEOPLE HAVE NOT HAD THE TIME TO LOOK INTO YHIS VERY IMPORTANT MATTER.

WE NEED HEALTH REFORM NOW !!!

September 10, 2009 at 9:16 am |
  20. James

I thought he did a very good job. We need a broad universal health system–and we need to clean up our present system whereby Medicare is consistently being overbilled! That has to stop.

September 10, 2009 at 9:16 am |
  21. Melody Mulanax

Obama did the same as usual....long winded, lots of words, nothing new. He is unsulting the American people's intelligence. He sounds like a broken record. The solution is to clean up the fraud in Medicare!

September 10, 2009 at 9:16 am |
  22. Gregory A. Ward, Sr.

The President did an excellent job. He's got my support. He is serious about protecting those currently with health care and helping those without. If we can spend 1 trillion dollars on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan in 1 year, give the rich over 1 trillion dollars in tax relief during the past 8 years of the Republican administration, why can't we spend $900 billion on protecting the health of our own American citizens over a 10 year period? Anyone against health care reform is either from another planet, ignorant, or has their pockets filled by special interest groups that are against health care reform and want to continue with the status quo. President Obama is serious about helping the American people and setting the stage for a lasting economic recovery for all Americans.

September 10, 2009 at 9:20 am |
  23. Yolanda

He made an excellent case for some Republicans and Blue Dogs and Progressives to try to work towards what our country NEEDS. Hope Congress can remember we are the UNITED States of America and they are elected to do what's best for our people. It is so apparent that partisan politics are being played on every issue. "This is the time for all good men(and women) to come to the aid of their country" is more true today than ever before.

September 10, 2009 at 9:20 am |
  24. Sal Iannello

I'm a Medical Coder and Biller. I supervisor a billing staff of 4 people. What the public is unaware of, until it is to late and they are in the thick of a fight with their insurance carrier, is that the problem is the insurance company not the government. It is the insurance company that gets between the patient and their doctors. In our company we spend over $100,000.00 a year in salaries for people to fight with the insurance companies for our patients to get the coverage they are ALREADY PAYING FOR... We spend over 40% of our time fighting. We would be able to cut our cost in half if the insurance companies paid for the treatment doctors and surgeons have laid out for their patients complete and speedy recovery.. We need complete Health Care Reform and I think our President is on the right track and made it clear to the public.
    Sal Iannello, CPC

September 10, 2009 at 9:21 am |
  25. john

This speech has now shown me that the congress is a place where issues gets lost in confussion, and the president has now shown me that he is the explainer in-chief. I now understand what the congress made me confussed about. Thank you mr president, I get it now.

John

September 10, 2009 at 9:22 am |
  26. margie lindhorst

President Obama gave a wonderful speech that explained why the health reforms as he outlined must pass for both economical and moral reasons.

Great speech.

September 10, 2009 at 9:22 am |
  27. David

I think the GoP representative sent a bad message to the world and future leaders of this country and needs to resign because there is no place for that in our society.

September 10, 2009 at 9:23 am |
  28. Anne

Absolutely! His speech had passion and conviction, pushed back against some of the false accusations being thrown about, and was a welcome sign of presidential strength and commitment. I only wish he's done this 2 or 3 months ago!

September 10, 2009 at 9:23 am |
  29. Harold Mitchell

Yes! The President was sucessful last night. He was clear, concise and addressed the many misconceptions about healthcare reform. He also did a great job in giving us strong reasons [social justice] to make the changes. I thought the mention of Ted Kennedy's letter and his influence [in the healkthcare debate] was important also.

September 10, 2009 at 9:23 am |
  30. Dr. L. Ronald Durham

Millions of Americans facing the real possibilty of financial ruin due to their inability to obtain affordable heath care can breath a sigh of relief after hearing the president lay out a comprehensive plan to meet the needs of everyone struggling find ways to insure themselves amid a myriad of well designed insurance schemes to prohibit providing coverage for those who may be sick.

It is appaling to me the see the smug and condecending attitudes of those on the right side of the aisle who were elected by the people of America to safeguard our rights, and implement policies that ensure the stability of the American family, hold onto the same partisan posture of "NO" amid an out cry by the majority to fix a long overdue problem affecting the future economic health of our nation.

September 10, 2009 at 9:24 am |
  31. Cathy

I believe the President did make the case for health care reform. I am an African American who had been opposed to health care reform. I can afford the very best health care and felt that reform would only saddle us with more debt. As I listened, really listened, to the President, I realized how selfish and self-centered I had become. I was never so ashamed of my country as I was last night. I hope Americans saw and heard what racism looks like in 21st century America. Joe Wilson demonstrated on national/worldwide TV what racism really looks like. He is the face of why there is so much hatred and emotion demonstrated at these so called town hall meetings. He is why so many of his fellow Americans believe that such distasteful dialogue is acceptable. I am not one to quickly claim racism. But, frankly, I don't see how any American can write off Wilson's behavior as "caught up in in the emotion". How can he lead when he is part of these emotional outbursts that prevent meaningful discussion. sound out tsalkickithe i

September 10, 2009 at 9:24 am |
  32. Doug

I was sent a request from the Republican National Committee Chairman( MIchael Steele) to send Obama, Biden, Reid, and Pelosi a postcard with their pre-written text on it to which my reply is posted here:

I will send them(Democratic senators) the same card I send Republican senators, abide by the powers given to you in the U.S. Constitution. Fix the litigious ambulance chasers and the Insurance companies collusion to screw up the system. If I don’t have insurance the hospital will still treat me, therefore, Health-Care isn’t broke. Most people see a local doctor, but the insurance company may not be domiciled in the same state as your attorney if something goes wrong. That makes it Interstate Commerce and you have the Constitutional authority to regulate/control that. Most doctors/ hospitals and their patients are in the same state, making it intrastate commerce which you do not have the power to control from a constitutional point of view.

September 10, 2009 at 9:25 am |
  33. Folkert Posthumus

President Obama did very well and showed that he is a leader. I am convinced that he will succeed and get a health care bill passed. We have waited long enough and further delay is not acceptable. There still individuals that do not realize that most of those against the plan themselves have top health coverage (often on tax payers or others expense) and have questionable interest and would benefit from a status quo.

September 10, 2009 at 9:25 am |
  34. Ronna J. Nelson

As a coverage denied pre-existing condition American, I feel the President spoke rationally and intelligently to the American people. Most Americans know that healthcare reform must be passed by Congress now and are smart enough to recognize the lies being spread by the Republican Right. The true character of the Republican Right, as exemplified by Representative Wilson's outburst and the hoopla over our President's speech to school children, is on display and falls far short of what our country stands for.

September 10, 2009 at 9:26 am |
  35. Romeo

I feel the President handled it well, even with the distractions. Every point he hit in his short speech was something the American people were waiting to hear. Some say this is the speech he should have given at the on set of the entire reform, I disagree. With all that has been said by media and at town halls from people who have not read the bill, this shows clearly that some react on politics, where others react on fact.

C. Romeo

September 10, 2009 at 9:30 am |
  36. Karen

The President did a fantastic job. Hopefully the Press will give him his dues and devote more positive airtime to the President and the very important topic of helathcare instead of devoting 90% of air coverage to 10% of the rightwing nutters in this country. It is a moral outrage that the most affluent country in the world cannot take care of its sick. In fact, there should be an amendment to the Constitution giving healthcare rights to every citizen of this country–the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of HEALTH and happiness.

September 10, 2009 at 9:31 am |
  37. Varghese Mathew

I am an independent voter, 68 yrs old and is on Medicare. I was very critical of the whole health care reforms due to it's impact on federal deficit. Also, criticism by various Radio & TV stations including many Christian personalities played a role in my life to oppose the plan. After hearing to the whole speech and Republican responses etc, I am convinced to support the President and his plan which is an absolute necessity.

September 10, 2009 at 9:33 am |
  38. Georgia Gal

He needs to quit adding the little quips at poeople that don't agree with him. I need to know where to read the documents that he was talking about.. He should prove his point by referring to page numbers in the bill. Appears to me that he must be talking about a bill that no one can see.
    I read most of the bill.(3200) What I read and what he said are not the same. He does make some good points. There are improvements to the current system needed. We do need improvements but the new plan proposed is full of things that would make things worse not better. The Healthcare reform should be done right the first time. It is important to not rush through a bill with so much wrong with it.

September 10, 2009 at 9:34 am |
  39. Kathy

The President stated that health insurance would be required like car insurance, but there are people people who do not carry even the minimum car insurance. What would the consequences be if people do not carry health insurance – they don't get treated when they are sick or the public would still have to pay? They get fined?
    What would guarantee the people would carry health insurance? It would have to be better that what is implemented for car insurance which does not seem to work.

September 10, 2009 at 9:35 am |
  40. Krista

President Obama did a great job. However, those who have been misrepresenting the proposed bills will probably not have a sudden conversion to truth-telling – most will still put their own agendas above all else. And those, who like the Birthers want to believe the worst despite all evidence, won't suddenly be persuaded by logic.

Those with more open minds, who had rational questions, should feel more confident.

What the speech can do is build the resolve of those who support the proposals to tough it through, and to be stronger and outspoken in support of reform and the American people. Some on the sidelines hoping in silence for better healthcare may be inspired to find their own voices.

September 10, 2009 at 9:35 am |
  41. JoAnn Koepke Taylor

My father died nine months ago, Several weeks before his death, arrangements were made by is doctor to have a $400.00 wheelchair delivered within 24 hours to his front door,

Apparently they are to busy to pick up chair because it is still sitting outside his condo door waiting for pickup. Meanwhile Medicare is still paying the $200.00 monthly rental fee for a dead mans usage.

Perhaps this is the type of Medicare waste that President Obama is wanting to stop?

Concerned Citizen

September 10, 2009 at 9:35 am |
  42. Oddi Diaz

He did an excellent job trying to convince the republicans congressmen that this country doesn't belong just to them but to all of us, and We have the right to have a health insurance as they do. No matter how good the president presents His plan Republicans always will be oppose, because they want Him to fail.

September 10, 2009 at 9:36 am |
  43. olga

Wilson spa his poison as always Republicans do, Obama was brilliant no one President has done so far so great. Olga.

September 10, 2009 at 9:37 am |
  44. Tracy Trail

Yes and No !!! He talk about affordable heath care, and we all know there is not such thing because the rate will be controll by the insurance company and lobbys and special inters groups !! Then its going to be a guestion how much coveage you want and more you have the more its going to cost you!!! Then who could afford a $300. 00 or more payment a month and then your co-pays. But there will be jobs but they would be low paying jobs so how could afford! Not me., I'm just making ends might now !!!

Tracy Trail
    Wisconsin

September 10, 2009 at 9:37 am |
  45. Boubacar K. Barry

The President did great last night. Well, everyone in this country must has to have his/her own health insurance. As he said, I paraphrase him "The US is the only wealthy country where people have no access easily to health insurance". This is a shame-forgive my language. I wish this bill passed.

September 10, 2009 at 9:38 am |
  46. CRhodes

Once again, I think the white power elite from the Republican party is just mad because Obama is so articulate and inspiring that it scares them. So they resort to outrageous tactics, like outright lying (not to mention calling the President a liar at a presidential conference) to change the conversation back to scare tactics so they can win. It's pathetic and I will do my part to make sure the lot of them are thrown out next election. I don't usually give to political campaigns but I'm going to now!

September 10, 2009 at 9:41 am |
  47. Cassandra Mcmath

The President did Great! He is a Great Leader... and He did explain to the American People exactley what they wanted to Hear! I am So very Proud of our President! He is right lets stop the Bickering and do whats right for the American People!! Enough is Enough! In America there should be no American without Healthcare! You must Remember that if the Republicans are so worried about a Governent take over ! Then what they should do is give up all of there Goverment benifets! Medicare, Goverment Health Insurance, Oh and there Pensions!! And then maybe they would be considerate of the People who have none!..... Hmmmm!!! something to think about!!!

September 10, 2009 at 9:45 am |
  48. Lauri Pixley

Hello Heidi,
    I am from Texas and I, for one, would like to say that Kay Baily Hutchinson does not speak for me. I'm so tired of the Texas as usual politics. When is our state going to open their eyes to change. I thought the speach last night was well thought out, discussed specifics well enough, and again discounted stupid lies about grandma. What I just can get over is how people can look straight at the green grass and say "look it's blue" and everyone beleives it.
    Grass should be green no matter what side your are on. Just add water.

Thanks,
    Lauri

September 10, 2009 at 9:49 am |
  49. Margie Irwin

President Obama was articulate and his ideas expressed what is critical to this country. Aren't we tired of allowing the pharmaceutical companies and the health insurance companies take advantage of our ill health? It is time that AMERICANS stand up and say, "No More!" We can't wait any longer.

September 10, 2009 at 9:54 am |
  50. Mel

Was the president lying about illegal immigrants being covered?

September 10, 2009 at 10:09 am |
  51. Cathy Bonnett

I think he did a great job. I sincerely hope that the congress is able to pass a bill that protects those of us who have health care, and provides affordable availability of appropriate health insurance for those of us who don't. Congress needs to get to work and stop posturing. The outburst by the congressman is an indication of the incivility of the current Republican party.

September 10, 2009 at 10:10 am |
  52. Rich Phillips

I think he did a fine job on his speech, and I whole heartedly support him in this

September 10, 2009 at 10:10 am |
  53. Leslie

I think that President Obama has great delivery when he speaks; however, I do not trust him and think he is a conniving man and I hope our health care does not go down the drain and put in the hands of our government.

September 10, 2009 at 10:10 am |
  54. tony

i thought the president layed out the plan perfectly, i'm just amazed at how little the republican rebuttal actually said

September 10, 2009 at 10:10 am |
  55. Lilian

Do we have a Democratic Party anymore? Obama said to his left were the Progressives and to the right were the Republicans.

September 10, 2009 at 10:10 am |
  56. Jon Madision

I thought the President did a fine job laying out his ideas. He emphasized his determination to fix this horrendous problem. We must have a public option however. The insurance industry siphons off way too many health care dollars into their own coffers. These moneys would go a long way toward paying for public health care.

September 10, 2009 at 10:10 am |
  57. Devon

Yes yes yes. I was very happy and satisfied with the presidents plans for health care. I'm on board.

September 10, 2009 at 10:10 am |
  58. Salvatore Vaspol

The president couldn't propose the public option health care plan more eloquently. Our health care system is dominated by the Enron's of today and without a public plan these companies who's bottom line will always be for profit will never lower rates to help our citizens!

September 10, 2009 at 10:10 am |
  59. Mark Denton

If you don't understand what the President wants after hearing the speech. You probably will never listen.

September 10, 2009 at 10:11 am |
  60. Vicki

Pres. Obama hit it out of the park.
    Awesome speech. Hes baaaaaaaaaaaack.
    I think that Joe Wilson's outburst was the logical conclusion of a summer of lies, slander, misrepresentation, and disgusting displays of arrogance.
    I heard a man who heckled a woman in a wheelchair in NJ tell a reporter " I didn't come to hear her complaints or question. I just came to yell". So basically the conservative idea of democracy/free speech is to not allow discourse, accept whatever lies you are told that you agree with and then make sure not to listen to what anyone else has to say.
    What kind of country are we handing off to our children? Elected representatives in the People's House being rude and disrespectful to the President? Can you imagine the FOX/Limbaugh noise machine if a rep had yelled LIAR when Bush said Iraq had weapons of Mass Destruction???

September 10, 2009 at 10:11 am |
  61. Steve

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, If there are so much to be saved within Medicare then why wait, start saving. The presidents healt care speech had not value.

September 10, 2009 at 10:11 am |
  62. Paul

Hey Heidi:
    The president delivered an excellent speach. He explained what is in the bill and will allow for ideas from republican.

September 10, 2009 at 10:11 am |
  63. Ryan

Hedi, this morning CNN continues to raise the question "Will Sen. Wilson's outburst last night overshadow the important issues raised in the President's health care speech," Well, this morning's continuous, repetitive coverage and replaying of the incident certainly helps contribute to such overshadowing.

Don'tchya think?

-Ryan

September 10, 2009 at 10:11 am |
  64. Victoria P

Republicans have some good ideas and I'd like to see the effectiveness of deregulation across state lines coupled with tort reform debated.Overall, I was not impressed or swayed. Eloquence does not equal effectiveness.

September 10, 2009 at 10:11 am |
  65. John

Since inquiring about legal status prior to receiving medical benefits has been forbidden in the proposed legislation, as the president knows, president obama DID LIE in his speech. It was shameful. As a liberal Democrat I am embarrassed by this.

September 10, 2009 at 10:11 am |
  66. RAS

Excellent job. The President was very clear and concise. He has my vote.

September 10, 2009 at 10:12 am |
  67. Kimberly Cook

President Obama was successful and his message could be reached by millions of Americans to embrace....IF it wasn't drowned by the constant replays of Congressman Wilson antics of denouncing the President policy and calling him a "liar".
    Heidi we get it he said it you don't have to replay over and over again!!!

September 10, 2009 at 10:13 am |
  68. Delores

I think the president had some very good ideas. I think the main thing he needs to concentrate on is cost of drugs and health care. A lot of waste could be prevented if all those on medical cards had to pay a fee every time they run to the emergency room for a hang nail. Insurnace companies should have to pay the remaining 20% of bills, NOT 20% of what medicare pays. That leaves a lot of senior citizens with bills because medicare pays such little amount. This also needs to be addressed.

September 10, 2009 at 10:13 am |
  69. Robert Johnson

I think the president did a great job, who cares how it's paid for give everyone heath care. Really how do they paid for the wars they find the money somewhere.

September 10, 2009 at 10:13 am |
  70. Richard Grant

The President made a strong argument for his Health Reform Bill and I would support him on this issure. I'm not so sure Republican or Insurance companies will swing to support the President on this issue, as their emphasis will continue to be in support of the party and big business.

September 10, 2009 at 10:13 am |
  71. San Pablo Juan

I watched the official response and John McCain on Larry King, both continued to use discredited talking points. It appears that the president's plea for honesty will go unheaded.

This speech was inspiring for us on the left, should move some in the middle, but will have no affect on folks who have been convinced that reform - even ideas previously endorsed by Republicans - will take us down the road to Socialism.

Great speech.

September 10, 2009 at 10:13 am |
  72. Roberto Muffoletto

The President did make his case very well. If you listen to what he said it made sense. Yes, many of the details were not there but how much detail do we really need to know and when it is do people really read and think about it.

These are changing times, we can not continue as we have been, change directed by a moral vision is needed in our country.

People tend to forget about the last 8 years of leadership and how much we did not know. We need to move forward and provide the people with quality health care.

September 10, 2009 at 10:13 am |
  73. Bob K.

Not good and I voted for him. He has to absolutely stop repeating the partisan comments. One example, he constantly says he inherited the large deficit. So what!!! Mr. President, you voluneteered for the job. You are responsible now, stop trying to blame others – it's history. A leader takes what is given them and improves upon it. As an Obama voter, I'm beginning to rethink my support. Mr. President, you're job is to get things done. You can't do that by dividing your Congress. That's all you are doing with your comments. Stop doing speaches and start having meetings to bridge the divide. Be prepared to compromise some.

September 10, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  74. Barb G

I was again amazed at the oratorical skills of our president. Throughout the speech, my husband and I kept saying, "how can anyone argue with that?" And yet, key members of Congress still find a way. The behavior of some of our elected officials was reprehensible. Joe Wilson should not only apologize; he should resign. His outburst was immature and an embarrassment to all Americans. Our present health care system makes a huge statement if left unchanged–a statement that says we don't care about our citizens and profit is more important than people. This has to change and we need to get back on track. This president is the one to move us in the right direction. Anyone who doesn't see that is a fool. Our elected officials need to get over themselves, put aside their personal and financial interests and get back to doing what they were elected to do–pass bills that improve American life.

September 10, 2009 at 11:33 am |
  75. Michael

Personally, I am very glad Obama talked about covering preconditions, I am a cancer survivor and I don’t want to be denied coverage. I am even happier that Obama promised to fully coverer mammograms and colonoscopies; which is critical to early prevention. Please congress pass healthcare as Obama has stated.

September 10, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  76. Len

I applaud the President for making clearer the issues that surrounds our health care debate. Last night the President delivered with passion and clarity, dispelling the clouds of doubt that were invading the health care debate.

Let them heckle and show what I believe is nothing but disdain for the President,. This only goes to show what certain members of our political system have not changed. It is despicable, and disrespectful. This is why change I can believe in is required in this Country.

September 10, 2009 at 11:37 am |
  77. kalvin king (portland,Or)

he did great i think and that joe wilson guy needs to be fired and who ever votes for him is just as crazy as he is

September 10, 2009 at 11:37 am |
  78. Mary

The President did excellent and I Thank him for trying to help the people who cannot afford health insurance and especially for insurance companys to not deny pre-existing medical conditions. some people don't realize it until it happen to them and their families.

September 10, 2009 at 11:37 am |
  79. Phyllis

I lived in a small town in Illinois and we had a large population of hispanics. They alway use the hospital and I worked in the billing and they had a lot of people flown in by organizations and they picked up the bills. Then I would have to ask the older people for the Medicare deducible of 250.00. I was not happy then. They would come and buy a home and about 3 families would live there and work different shifts so the beds were available. when I sold my house a neighbor who was born in the states but of Spanish decent wanted to know if i was selling to a Hispanic. So they have been here a long time

September 10, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  80. Dennis Petrak

Our President took the bull by the horns and hopefully shook some sense into them... he educated the people and if they listened then they shouldn't be conned into believing any more of the hate mongering and fear taticts that have inflamed the non readers in this country. He is trying to lift this whole society up from the decadence, greed, and corporate control we have been burdened with for decades. More for the people and less for the war machines.

September 10, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  81. Tina

I listened to the entire speech and liked what I heard. Health care reform is way overdue. The President said his door is open and he is willing to listen if there are better proposals than his. I haven't heard this morning of people lined up to offer better proposals YET!!! We need to move forward and work with the President to achieve better and quality health care for EVERYONE. Thank you, Mr. President for caring about people who don't have the quality health care like the United States House members have.

September 10, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  82. Gee

Heidi, I don't think that the question should be How Did the President Do? We already know how well he can articulate his cause and we are fully aware of his insight. I think the question should be: Can a Leopard Change his Spots?

The Republicans obviously still in disagreement with the President. Senator Wilson's comment was just a Freudian slip speaking for many of the Republicans in the room. I believe President Obama's eloquence fell on the deaf ears of the Republicans and they took nothing from the speech. No sooner had the President cleared up the misunderstanding that this health care reform would not replace existing insurance coverage for Americans with insurance, when the Republican Senator of Arizona in his response stated that this new health reform would replace existing insurance coverage for insured Americans.

September 10, 2009 at 11:51 am |
  83. azuh chuks okolie

I really agree with Obama's plan on Health Reform. If actually America could spend so much money on War in Iraq for so many Years, and currently pumping money to fund Afganistan War, why cant this same America, fund and take care of her Citizens? If America could send relief materials and goods to other Countries like developing countries, why can't the same America, tackle her own problems too. I think that some people in America do not want this Health Insurance Reform to be, not that America can not be able to pay for it.

September 10, 2009 at 11:51 am |
  84. Colleen Fong

President Obama's address to the joint session was outstanding. He was clear, he was respectful and he effectively set the record straight. Wish I could be as proud of all the occupants of the room last night as I am of him.

September 10, 2009 at 11:54 am |
  85. Teri

Truly the President delivered his speech with the upmost clarity. It is evident that those that oppose him are not interested in hearing the facts of his plan. Medical fees and insurance cost is way too expensive. I look forward to the day when the President's Health Care reform will hush his opponents...just like Medicare has. They don't dare speak out against Medicare now, which in 1965 didn't have Republican support either. Ignorance "is not" bliss.

September 10, 2009 at 11:55 am |
  86. Sonya Brown Stallworth

I think President Obama have done a great job. Our President had to go into office cleaning up a polictical disaster that he did not create. I think its only fair that we give him a chance to try and fix some the problems, that Americans are facing.

Sonya Brown Stallworth

September 10, 2009 at 11:58 am |
  87. Sonya Brown Stallworth

I think President Obama have done a great job. Our President had to go into office cleaning up a polictical disaster that he did not create. I think its only fair that we give him a chance to try and fix some of the problems, that Americans are facing.

Sonya Brown Stallworth

September 10, 2009 at 12:01 pm |
  88. John Garceau

As David Gergen (Advisor to 4 presidents) said last night, The President's speech was delivered 3 months later than it should have been; the Health Care issue would have sailed through the Congress.
    So the score is 21-17 favor of Status Quo and Healthcare has the ball on the 2 with a minute 35 to go. , now let's pull together and make this touchdown...this year. America is cheering for you. Knock the Teapartiers, Birthers, O'Reilly, Hannity, Rush Mush, Palin and Wilson on their butts. Remember 1982. Joe Montana QB'd the 49rs from his own 2 to make a touchdown that beat Dallas and took the 9'rs to the Super Bowl! IT'S TIME! Let's win this one for all of us!

September 10, 2009 at 12:01 pm |
  89. Scott Stodden

I do I really feel that President Obama got his point across crystal clear last night. The Obama I know and voted for is back and ready to fight for Healthcare Reform 09. He explained in detail what his proposal is all about, how we get there and how to pay for it. President Obama besides the disrespect from Republicans Iam so proud of you for what you did last night and Im excited for healthcare reform and I feel it can and will get done. Us Democrats need to stand up against the Republican Party who preaches nothing but hate, racism and fear mongering.

Scott Stodden (Freeport,Illinois)

September 10, 2009 at 12:04 pm |
  90. danny

He did an absolute fantastic job. We need healthcare reform. I'm self employed and can't afford the rising cost of healthcare.

As far as the congressman's "disrespectful comment", he should make a public apology in person, in front of the camera's as he did last night. Bring the "devil" to light.

September 10, 2009 at 12:05 pm |
  91. Gayle in Missouri

Is it just all about money? Where is the compassion, the moral compass of our nation? Our Constitution lays out the foundational values of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

"The Government" is not a separate entity! WE are the government! And WE want to ensure the health of ourselves and our families!!! President Obama stands behind, long overdue and much needed, reform.

You can't work if you are sick, you can't have peace of mind if you are burdened by medical bills you can't pay. No plan will please everyone, but this legislation MUST be passed – work out the minor details and PASS IT!

September 10, 2009 at 12:06 pm |
  92. cheryl lee wheaton

THE PRESIDENT DID VERY WELL. I THINK HE AS WELL AS A LOT OF US ARE SICK OF PAYING FOR NON AMERICANS,THEY CAN GO BACK WHERE THEY CAME FROM....THEY DO NOT BELONG HERE TAKING AWAY FROM US,,,,

September 10, 2009 at 12:13 pm |
  93. bonnie

Did he say it will be mandatory to have insurance? like car ins. I dont like the thought of a forcer healthplan. It sounds like comm.....

September 10, 2009 at 12:13 pm |
  94. miranda

We have been told for years that medicare is going broke. Now we are told that millions in medicare savings are going to be used to pay for this new program. What about medicare? Shouldn't medicare savings be used to fix medicare?

September 10, 2009 at 12:14 pm |
  95. Richard B.C. Canada

President Obama's speech was the clearest, most rational explanation yet for the need for U.S. health care reform. The only thing he neglected to mention was that some States, Washington State in particular already have a public option for those unisurable because of pre-existing conditions.

My question to him would be: is this a Federal issue or State issue?

September 10, 2009 at 12:14 pm |
  96. David

I think President Obama was bowled over by that welcome he received from congress before he began his address. Basically he got the discussion back on track, up to this point ever since the recess, the healthcare debate has languished in the flaring up of partisan passions. I think he knocked it out of the park. There are questions about cost, how the public option will work, the pressure brought by the how revenue would be raised for that option, whether private insurance would be driven out of the market, but in juxtaposition to that is the need for the proposed reforms to private heatlh insurance, and the promise of increased access to healthcare to those who in various circumstances can't afford it. I know republicans felt like the President was really letting them have it at different pts during the speech, but at the end of the speech, he took up in the most serious and moving part of the whole address the pts of vw–keeping govt out of healthcare and increasing govt involvement–so as to bring in to the debate both these competing philosophies and reach out to those across the aisle. He invoked the can do spirit of this country. He nailed it.

September 10, 2009 at 12:20 pm |
  97. Tony

I don't know if the Republicans still love America, but they certainly have, in this debate, proven that they hate Americans. Except maybe their servants...

September 10, 2009 at 12:21 pm |
  98. Deb

The president was articulate and intelligent. The Republicans looked like idiots, but I guess they don't relate to the aforementioned characteristics. This is harsh criticism, but what has happened to the Republican party in the last 10 years ??

I would like to have heard comments about the 50 to 64 age group who pay outrageous premiums and don't have coverage through an employer. Why not Medicare for that age group?? Some of these boomers have had to stop working in order to care for elderly sick parents.

September 10, 2009 at 12:22 pm |
  99. Annie in New Mexico

President Obama made an impressive case for his plan for changing healthcare for US Citizens. We, simply, cannot afford to continue on our present path of spending so much of our $$$ on healthcare. It will bankrupt our nation.

"Every journey begins with a single step." We must take that step. NOW

September 10, 2009 at 12:32 pm |
  100. Kathy

To call the President a liar is to tell the truth.

September 10, 2009 at 12:37 pm |
  101. Chris

I thought President Obama did a wonderful job yesterday healthcare reform. Sadly, I feel there are those who do not have the American peoples best interest and will try anyway to discredit what's fair and right. Below are two excerpts from his speech I thought to be important. I felt his entire speech was clear, compelling.

“What we face,” Senator Kennedy wrote “is above all a moral issue; at stake are not just the details of policy, but fundamental principles of social justice and the character of our country.”

"I will not waste time with those who have made the calculation that it’s better politics to kill this plan than improve it. I will not stand by while the special interests use the same old tactics to keep things exactly the way they are. If you misrepresent what’s in the plan, we will call you out. And I will not accept the status quo as a solution. Not this time. Not now."

September 10, 2009 at 12:45 pm |
  102. Judy Ankerholz

Same ole lies. The President nor democrats don't want to hear what the public has to say or what we want, they want to tell us what they are going to do because they think they know best. They may succeed in this farce of health care plan, but they may in the end feel the worse sting when they actually lose their jobs and their wonderful health care. If this is going to be such a great plan, then I think the whole government should be covered under the same plan. Lets see if they have to wait in line for treatment or not receive treatment at all.

September 10, 2009 at 12:47 pm |
  103. LUCY BROWN

I"M NOT SURE WHAT THE RIGHT ANSWER IS TO THE HEALTH CARE PROBLEM IS, BUT WHERE WERE THE REPUBLICANS FOR THE LAST 8 YRS? WHAT DID THEY DO ABOUT THE PROBLEM?

September 10, 2009 at 12:49 pm |
  104. larry

President Obama was amazing on delivering his health care message. As a Canadian it amazes me to see how ignorant the Right Wing Republican stance is.
    The pathetic part about morons like Joe Wilson is not only his gaul to call the president a liar on National television but how his honky republican brothers are so clueless to the reality of America.
    My suggestion is to drop them off in Harlem or Inner City LA and find out how many peolpe support their ignorant, racist views.

September 10, 2009 at 12:54 pm |
  105. Chris

I thought President Obama did a wonderful job yesterday.

Sadly, I feel there are those who do not have the American people's best interest and will try anyway to discredit what’s fair and right.

“I will not waste time with those who have made the calculation that it’s better politics to kill this plan than improve it. I will not stand by while the special interests use the same old tactics to keep things exactly the way they are. If you misrepresent what’s in the plan, we will call you out. And I will not accept the status quo as a solution. Not this time. Not now.”

September 10, 2009 at 1:07 pm |
  106. michelle andreas

Why aren't you showing the ACORN story??? Pretty revealing stuff!

September 10, 2009 at 1:19 pm |
  107. L Frazer

An Open Letter to the President

I listened to your speech. Wednesday night you had a golden opportunity to hit a “home run” for America by providing definition and specifics for a Health Care Reform plan that would expand coverage, control cost and provide a path that would improve health care for all Americans. Instead you hit a “FOWL BALL” straight into the FAR LEFT bleachers.

For the most part you simplely shoveled tired old rhetoric that we’ve heard from you for months. I’d give you a “B-“ for delivery, you seemed as board with the speech as Michelle did in the gallery (who seemed to be thinking “do I really have to sit through this”), probably one of the poorest presentations I’ve seen you give. For contend I’d give you a “D-“, since you just said the same old things (except for illegal immigrants not getting coverage under the plan which I’m sure did not sit well with your Liberal Left in the Chamber) with not much new and NO definition or specifics just broad generalities that don’t add up.

For instance:
    – You stated that probably only 5% of Americans would sign up for the “Public Option”. Also it will be administered by a not for profit Government bureaucracy funded out of premiums (is that similar to the Post Office?). That’s about half of the “un-insured” American citizens by your numbers. Have you done the math? Unless you charge horrendous premiums and co-pays after paying the Bureaucracy there won’t be any money for health care for those folks. Perhaps you can put your 32 or is it 33 CZARS and Michelle's 23 staff members to work calculating that, but jointly they may not have the mental acuity to handle that.
    – You propose paying for your health care plan out of savings from Medicare and Medicaid by eliminating waste, fraud and abuse. If you can achieve any savings then why haven’t you already started, you don’t need legislation to do that.
    – You must have said “AFFORDABLE INSURANCE” 60 times. What do you consider affordable insurance? What kind of premium and co-pays are you thinking of? Good medical treatment is not cheap; beside the cost of delivery, there is a tremendous investment in research and technology in America to achieve the BEST HEALTH CARE system in the world. Are you suggesting we abandon those achievements that have lengthened our life span and greatly reduced pain and suffering to come to your “affordable insurance” dollar figure? Just what is that “affordable” dollar figure?
    – You made minor mention of medical liability (one of the BIGGEST COST DRIVERS in the industry due to insurance premiums for all medical providers and personnel, legal fees, disproportionately large court awards [where the med-mal lawyer gets the lions share], frivolous lawsuits, etc) with some reference to test cases in some low populace states. Anyone serious about cost reduction and containment should start here.
    – You talked about insurance competition but didn’t mention allowing insurance companies to sell policies nationwide, as auto insurance companies can in your misplaced example. Keep in mind that you were referring to auto liability insurance which is primarily to protect others that one might do harm to with their vehicle. Collision and property damage auto insurance is optional.
    – You stated that Health Care Reform is the only road to address the National Debt. I’m sorry Mr President that you think the American people are so stupid that you can sit there in Washington DC and spend money like it’s water with no return for America and then think that Americans will buy that the Deficit is all Health Care’s fault. B.S. Or that Health Care Reform will solve the National Debt problem when you and your Liberals are throwing our money in every direction except the right one. B.S.
    – You mentioned pre-existing conditions preventing the purchase of insurance. If one has insurance prior to the discovery of a threatening medical condition then they should not be denied due to that condition since they were paying premiums. But if one fails to have insurance, takes the risk and then discovers that they have an illness and try to buy insurance, that’s like trying to buy homeowners insurance after you house has burned down. I’m sorry but people have to take responsibility and be held accountable for their decision and actions.

Mr President you keep saying that “if anyone has a better idea your door is open”. Well I have one but they won’t let me in the White House to walk through your door, that’s always open. More importantly, a group of Congressman (who happen to be doctors as well) has one but you are ignoring it (probably because it doesn’t have a “Public Option” or Government Control) and it will come closer to working than your plan.

You keep harping that the Republican Party is the Party of NO; well the Democratic Party and you have repeatedly demonstrated the attitude “it’s my way or the highway”.

There are plenty of avenues for solutions to stated issues:
    – Un-insured;
    – Pre-existing conditions;
    – Insurance loss with job loss;
    – Cost control
    through the Private Sector Health Care Industry coupled with appropriately drafted legislation that have not even been listened to by the Liberal Left in Congress or YOU.

So in this Citizen’s opinion your Health Care Plan that you eluded to Wednesday night is D.O.A.

September 10, 2009 at 1:21 pm |
  108. Kathy

To call this President a liar is to tell the truth. He is also a bully.

Obama called everyone who disagrees with him liars and said he was coming after them.. HE should apologize and quit threatening. Americans don't scare easy and threats only rile us up.
    And, if CNN wanted to know the Republican plan, or the Libertarian viewpoint, or any dissenting views, they would quit interrupting them when they hold press conferences to go over them point by point. Why don't you air the whole thing?

September 10, 2009 at 1:29 pm |
  109. David

I do think Republicans are chafing a bit, but see them coming out today openly on the issues. President Obama comes out strongly for his position when it's needed. What can the President offer as a balm to Republican lawmakers to smooth the way for further discussions?

September 10, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  110. John

I agree with Kathy. Actually, Americans did not want to bail out the un-American wealthy insiders that the President seems to identify with. Now, he finally gets around to the needs of common people and seems to have no idea how to 1) solve the issue and 2) finance it.
    We need big changes in Congress, maybe even find some people who represent the Americans they seem so clue-less about.

September 10, 2009 at 2:28 pm |
  111. Mike Armstrong TX.

He done swell the president made it thru the hole speach without getting smacked with a shoe.

September 10, 2009 at 2:34 pm |
  112. David Smith

Yes,very effective, but he had to talk slowly for the birthers. He could have covered a lot more detail but in education you have to take your student from where he or she is and unfortunately there is a large part of our populace that didn't make it to philosophy 101 (logic).

September 10, 2009 at 2:49 pm |
  113. bhagos

The president did an outstanding speech last night. He was clear and direct explaining for us the people. As usual republicans are only interested on securing their pocket. As long as republicans have money to last their generation, they don’t give a dump about Americans. Where were they when our country went into recession? What were they doing when big businesses lost their jobs? What were they doing when American employees were loosing their jobs? The health insurance companies we have at this time is very expensive, co-pay is going up from even last year, emergency co-pay went up since last year. What are we talking about? The working family and the poor are really straggling to pay our premiums and co-pays. Please be compassionate for others and stop being rude.

September 10, 2009 at 2:59 pm |
  114. james

i belive in Obama, And what obama is trying.. Obama has taken on a big debt of what bush left us, and what Obama said on health care is right on.... What we should be asking is why the REP's don't want Health Care.. why do they fight it so much .. Could it be they see the monny ppl stop giveing them monny if they don't kiss the behind..

September 10, 2009 at 3:11 pm |
  115. Les Graff

Rep. Wilson yelled TWICE, not once, " YOU LIE!!" . If you listen carefully to the tape, you can just hear him yell the first time in the noise after the Presidents comment then when the sounds drop off you hear him again clearly. It was not spontaneous. Shame on him. He should resign from the Congress.

September 10, 2009 at 3:13 pm |
  116. MR.AL

HEALTHCARE WHAT A CIRCUS STIL!!! Republicans are still showing their ignorence to the healthcare problems. repersenative JOE WILSON showed NO RESPECT TO PRESIDENT OBAMA WITH HIS COMMENT "YOUR A LIAR". This is the kind of attitude America doesn't need. From now on Mr Wilson will be known as the MOUTH OF THE SOUTH to me. He was rude and disrespectful and I'm sure America won't soon forget!! I watched the whole speach last night and saw the disgust and smirks on Republican Lawmakers faces it reminded me of a child who didn't get his way and went into a tantrum. Is this what America has to look forward to? The disrespect of people like Mr.Willson running our government. I don't think our Fore Fathers wanted this kind of Politics to run America. I though all men were created equal I don't see this happening at the present time. Repulicans don't seem to care about lower class America, they didn't have a second thought about 700 billion in bail outs to corperate America or letting THE BUSH CHENEY ADMINISTRATION spend America into a recession.Why should lawmakers care their healthcare is" Free " and Americans pay for it !!!!!!!!!! The old saying is if you have a problem write your Senator!! With the attitudes I saw last night during President Obamas speech" I don't see where I can trust their judgement to be fair to all "Americans" not just a chosen few or back special intrest groups.

MRAL

September 10, 2009 at 3:19 pm |
  117. jmb

There are no honest politicians! Not one of them is protecting the rights of the people only their own self interest.

September 10, 2009 at 3:31 pm |
  118. TexasHorns

EVERYONE favors healthcare reform...How about honest debate?
    The President was caught in 7 lies according to the Associated Press.

Will Obama call out Obama?

September 10, 2009 at 3:32 pm |
  119. Allen Klinefelter

I think he did was was needed, We need Health Care Reform now and the time for lies is over.

September 10, 2009 at 3:51 pm |
  120. donna

His speech was predictable and was not based on facts.

September 10, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  121. David

One more question. I heard rep Eric Cantor talking about where Republicans and the President could meet. Could there be an outline or analysis of those points or are events too fast moving? What would the President have to do, and how would he get there? And how would Republicans move closer to the President's position?

September 10, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  122. Georgia Gal

Things to think about:
    In this plan: Everyone must have insurance. How much will it cost? It is not free to everyone. If we lose our job how do we pay? Everyone is already protected, if they need medical care they get Treatment at the emergency room. Including those here illegally. How does this plan exclude them? The president says illegal aliens are not included but they can get the same care as we can but not be forced to buy insurance.
    I'm glad that some people take the time to study and research things that could be better for all Americans and point out things that are wrong. This is not a personal attack on our president it is truths that can lead to a better plan if both parties will allow the truth to be heard.

INSURANCE REFORM IS NECESSARY.

To make changes in stages would make a lot of sense to me. Starting with putting guidelines on the insurance companies (such as affordable coverage for the people with pre-existing conditions)
    Cutting cost by eliminating unneccessary and excessive spending.
    Sending people here illegally home.

President Obama basically verbally attacks anyone that questions or makes true statements about the things written in the bill. This bill is not what it sounds like in his speech. ASK for it to be published on the internet, read it and then your comments would be based on facts. More so than just hearing the talking points to lead us away from the facts.
    I hope we do get reform and that Obama can do it but not this billand not this way.

September 10, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  123. Sherry

I think President Obama did well. He’s been criticized for lacking leadership by not offering any details of what he wants. Flip side, the blogs were roaring last night that he dared offer details when he’s not the legislative branch. It appears that he cannot “win” in the eyes of people who have chosen to make this personal vs. actively work on and encourage their representatives to reach a much-needed solution. Each party is too busy creating and collecting sound-bites for their next election campaign.

What would help, in my view, is confronting childish tantrums with facts. President Obama presented his. If there is disagreement on whether or not illegal immigrants will have continued access to free health care – prove where it states that in the bills being proposed. Or prove where it leaves an open door in the bill for it to happen. Then fix the problem, it’s pretty simple. I can’t even call myself a conservative any more, the people who I would be aligned with nowadays are practicing only the politics of anger.

September 10, 2009 at 5:04 pm |
  124. Still Hopeful, New Mexico

I totally concur with Colleen Fong. The Republican politicians and talking heads (Palin, Rush, Hannity, etc., and Cheny/Bush) are such an embarrassment to our country, especially in the context of other nations viewing us. People who believe them are made to look like fools! They don't hestiate to make up anything to try to make our President look bad. They behave like nasty, sore losers – disrepectful, vengeful, mean-spirited, and stopping at nothing to get what they lost back into their hands. Talk about liars – they're the liars! The end justifies the means for them, and they stop (stoop!) at nothing! Lies, lies, lies. Weapons of mass destruction? Give me a break, and that's just one of the countless lies. Their behaviors over the healthcare issue have been downright obscene and despicable! Is this what "dealing with the devil" results in? It sure looks like it, and it's very dark and ugly, and does not bode well for our country's future. I am so sorry that the Republicans have degraded themselves and our country as they've done with their unrelenting crap attacks on our President and every single thing he does. I can only hope and pray for our President's continued strength to persevere in Truth, Hope and his quest to serve the good of the people – all people – of this nation, and to honor the Constitution while he and it are continually under assault by these SOB's. Thank God for our President!!! He is the best to come along in way too many years, giving us hope for a future we'll be proud of! Pray for the Republican politicans too. They need it most of all!

September 10, 2009 at 5:07 pm |
  125. vivian

I was proud and elated by his speech but, more impressed by the serious reprimand he delivered to HIS opponents. The scare tactics and deliberate lies were well addressed. I only hope both parties come together and work vigorously for a Health Care Plan that "We the People" can understand and benefit from. Vivian Johnston

September 10, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  126. Nacilbuper

If you do not report this story you must agree with ACORN!

September 10, 2009 at 5:38 pm |
  127. Jeff

Why is CNN not covering the corruption at ACORN?????

September 10, 2009 at 6:10 pm |
  128. Phyllis

President Obama IS the President of these United States. Whatever happened to the respect due the office?

Where were these loud, raucous voices when Bush was in that office? Did this President create the situation that this country finds itself in? NO!!! He and his team are trying to fix it.

We have had both parents to die of cancer and thank GOD, they had health insurance. I can't even imagine what my sisters and I would have done if my father had not had a rock-solid insurance policy after having worked for the federal government for almost forty years. We would have all gone broke! The loudmouths need to be quiet, unless they have a better solution to the mess we are in!! And for a US Congressman to act the way he did last night is deplorable and shows a MAJOR LACK OF CLASS!!

September 10, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  129. James of Houston

After listening to his speech last night, I don't know which of President Obama's positions to believe!

On the one hand, he tells us Medicare is a shining example of Government cost containment and efficiency in controlling health care costs. Its administrative expenses are only 8% of its authorized budget. By comparison, he tells us the administrative costs of private insurance companies run about 20-30%.

On the other hand, he tells us he can pay for the enormous costs of his new health care plan by eliminating $900 billion of the rampant waste, fraud and abuse that exists in the Medicare system.

OK, Mr. President, which of these two stories is correct and which one are we to actually believe? ... When it comes to these opposing statements, you cannot have it both ways!

September 10, 2009 at 7:12 pm |
  130. c. w.

The President made a great speech, but it was not much different in terms of the content than the previous 27 speeches on Health Care. Americans are looking for substance and how it is going to be paid for versus speech delivery.

September 10, 2009 at 9:22 pm |
  131. jl hale

President Obama always does a good job of speaking but: Where's the bill? What was he talking about? My parents always told me to "don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see." We haven't seen the bill. We need to see a bill then we all can discuss it in a open forum in a reasoned manner.

September 10, 2009 at 9:49 pm |
  132. Chris K

Its a fact that 3/4 of the polititicians are former lawyers, the other 25% just act like them. Obama said he would accept REAL suggestions to health care in an effort to produce a bi-partisan bill. Bonyor said He he liked the idea of REAL tort reform. Each party has their subjective idea of what REAL is. The GOP respendor to Obama's speech said we are in agreement with 80% of the what has been proposed. The trouble is that lawyers only need a fly spec on the wall to hang their hat on. i.e. When the GOP said they would vote for something, but feably waffling shortly there after because they didn't like how Pelosi charterized them just before the vote. It would not matter if the GOP was in 99% agreement with what was presented to not vote for it, they are GOP lawyers 1st, Americans 2nd.

September 11, 2009 at 9:07 am |