Today on CNN Newsroom

September 12th, 2009

Should divorce be banned?

Last fall California voters passed Proposition 8, adding a new section to that state's constitution that reads: "Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California."

Now a man in Sacramento has begun a grassroots campaign to outlaw divorce in California.

He's trying to get the "2010 California Marriage Protection Act" up for a statewide vote sometime next year.

The man behind it - John Marcotte - has pulled off a number of harmless social pranks before. But this time, he's not saying if the proposal is real.

What do you think? Should marriage be until "death do us part?" Leave your comments below. We may read some of them this morning in the CNN Newsroom.

Post by:
Filed under: CNN Newsroom
  1. Mobius

Quite the opposite.

Marriage itself should be outlawed – it's first and foremost a Religious institution and the government should not be involved in marriage whatsoever.

After all, the idea is that marriage is between two people, NOT two people and Uncle Sam. That's a 3 way nobody wants.

September 12, 2009 at 5:12 am |
  2. Harald

I personally think marriage should be outlawed. Most of all, people that want to dictate to other people what choices they are allowed to make. Home of the Free wasn't it?

September 12, 2009 at 5:30 am |
  3. Chris

Well... It'd definitely make people think twice about getting married for the wrong reasons. I think you'd have an increase of "accidental deaths" though. More: "I promise, your honor, he/she fell.." cases. But hey, good for him for finding something to get media attention! Maybe he can be tracked down for an interview and we can go 5 minutes without Obamavision.

September 12, 2009 at 6:07 am |
  4. Tim

Absolutely!

The excuse to ban gay marriage is because it is suppose to be for man and woman only...and to promote the "sanctity" of marriage. Well, for all of you that voted for the ban should now uphold your own sanctity and only be married once.

My significant other and I have been together over 25 years and we have not been married.......

September 12, 2009 at 6:08 am |
  5. Talha Khan

Growing up in Pakistan, "divorce" almost used to be a taboo word. The social stigma attached with divorce is a key reason why divorce rates are so low there. Talking to peers here in the US I get the idea that divorce provides an easy way out for disenchanted couples wihout actually having to work on the relationship. Although banning divorce may seem extreme for American society, it may make people more serious/committed about their relationships.

September 12, 2009 at 6:09 am |
  6. Leif Erik B

The fundamentalists & ultra-conservatives, along with the massive amounts of Mormon money & manpower streamed here to California from Utah, were very insistent that children needed a mother AND a father. Their Yes on Prop 8 campaign was often called the "Preservation of Marriage" proposition.

We'll now be able to see how sincere they are, and how much of it is hot gas that fits in with the numerous scandals by right-wing politicians & evangalists.

September 12, 2009 at 6:23 am |
  7. Gene

Since marriage is too sacred for gay people to access, it's too sacred for allowing divorce. Every state banning gay marriage should also ban divorce – can't have it both ways. An initiative will be begun soon in Michigan.

September 12, 2009 at 6:25 am |
  8. Roegin

It should be, make people think twice of a life long commitment, just like having a kid, if your not ready, don't do it! America is becoming more idiotic in choices, and the government is helping that case out.

September 12, 2009 at 6:28 am |
  9. Serge K.

Divorce banned?
    lol... NO
    I think marriage should be illegal.

September 12, 2009 at 7:05 am |
  10. Rodney

If the religious right wants to ban gay marriage because of the sanctity of marriage, divorce should be right there on that line as well...to protect the "sanctity" of marriage. Personally I believe that people should not get special privileges from the government because they performed a religious ceremony.

September 12, 2009 at 7:06 am |
  11. Bonnie Gerdes

Seems like they are attacking a problem from the wrong end...instead of banning divorce we need to start instilling the basics with each child and adult. Respect, responsibility, accountability. If people respected each other and did to others what they would want done to themselves, instill these basics and we would not have to even suggest something like banning divorce.

September 12, 2009 at 7:06 am |
  12. Dawn M

Heck no I don't think divorce should be banned. If you did that what option would someone in a abusive marriage have??? There is already too much government interference in our lives as Americans. We don't need more of it.

September 12, 2009 at 7:06 am |
  13. penny fuhrhop

this is AMERICA, IS IT NOT???????
    DIVORCE IS AND SHOULD BE A RIGHT OF "CHOICE"
    WAKE UP AMERICA............YOU ARE FAST LOSING
    YOUR "RIGHT"
    NO......DIVORCE........"SHOULD" NOT BE BANNED
    AFTER ALL......THERE ARE SOME SPOUSES THAT NO
    ONE WOULD WANT TO STAY WITH ONCE THEY REALLY GOT TO KNOW THEM!!!!!!!! THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!

September 12, 2009 at 7:07 am |
  14. Kevin

I totally think that Divorce should be banned. Gay people can't marry so why should straight people get to divorce when they preach about the sanctity of marriage.

September 12, 2009 at 7:11 am |
  15. Amy

NO! Divorce should not be banned at all !! For 3 1/2 years I was in a verbally abusive marriage and we tried counseling to save it. Sadly it failed and the only way we can be happy is to file for divorce and move on with our lives. Looking back at it years later, it was the best thing for me to fully recover emotionally from the verbal abuse I went through when I was married.

My question is what if you're in a physically abusive marriage but you can't file for a divorce at all (if the law passes)?? If divorce was banned, it might jeopardize the man or wife who need to leave their marriage in order to save his/her life.

I hope and pray that California will make the right choice and say NO to banning divorce.

September 12, 2009 at 7:12 am |
  16. Jackson

I agree that 'marriage' should be banned. Then it saves me money not to buy a ring for my gf... Call me cheap, I see it as an investment... Maybe, lol.

September 12, 2009 at 7:15 am |
  17. Mac K-FL

If divorce is banned, we better start building a lot more prisons for all the spouses that would kill each other instead! With about half of all marriages ending in divorce, I can't imagine why someone would think just banning divorce would fix the problem.

September 12, 2009 at 7:16 am |
  18. Ceria LeDay

I say divorce should not be be banned because, one that would cause more violent relationships. Two, someone would probaly get killed. Three, if children are invoved you do not want them to be involved in a crazy situation with parents not getting alone.

September 12, 2009 at 7:17 am |
  19. Kelley

Should divorce be banned? Sure, go ahead and ban it. The murder rate will increase, but that's the whole idea of "until death do you part". Right?

September 12, 2009 at 7:18 am |
  20. Trinity

No I don't think it should be banned because it should always be an option. Things happen and people change. When i got married over 10 years ago I didn't know that 10 years later he would be arrested for domestic abuse and I then got divorced.

September 12, 2009 at 7:19 am |
  21. Dennis k

I think people should stop mixing church and state.

September 12, 2009 at 7:19 am |
  22. tyson

After 11 years, my wife informs me I am very happily married. She reminds me that marriage is like a life sentence with no hope for parole.

September 12, 2009 at 7:20 am |
  23. Heather

To ban divorce would be in direct violation of the constitutional right to freely practice religion due to the fact that some religions recognize divorce. If you are worried about the cost and saving time then caps need to be placed on fees to file and finalize the process. To say that "God Hates Divorce" is to practice an individual hermenutics with the scriptures that should not be forced on the rest of the world.

September 12, 2009 at 7:26 am |
  24. Jennifer Barton

If they allow divorce to be banned, are they going to legalize murder! LOL

September 12, 2009 at 7:26 am |
  25. Mary

This is really a question that many married people will have a crime scene until DEATH do us Part will be the solution if there is a banned on divorce. I do think more people that are married be serious about having counseling and taking this serious. this might help you go on and learn about ea other forgiving , and remember why you married this person.

September 12, 2009 at 7:27 am |
  26. Lynette

I strongly support this concept; if divorce is banned people will think about why they are marrying opposed to jumping in because they are mesmerized by the persons looks, money or fame. I've never been married but I have never supported divorce. People get divorced for so called "irreconcilable differences" but when you begin to peel back the layers of onions you discover it's because "I'm tired of looking at her/him". What about the children you made in that marriage?

September 12, 2009 at 7:27 am |
  27. Marcel Sales

I think this man is sick

Now we don't have rights to divorce ? we don't have rights to have a good health care?.............. What a hell is going on here ???????

well if this man has problems with his wife he couldn't divorce lol

I hope California will say NO !!!!
    but I think we have to worry things more important

September 12, 2009 at 7:30 am |
  28. Jennifer

If they allow divorce to be banned,
    Are they going to legalize murder!
    LOL

September 12, 2009 at 7:36 am |
  29. Barley

Im sorry but this guy has to consider that not everyone in the country has the same beliefs that he does.... this is a "two people getting married" thing ... if they decide to add god or whatever their religion may be into their marriage that is their choice... and noone wants the state joined in with their marriage.

September 12, 2009 at 7:37 am |
  30. Tom Antoine

Maybe it should be illegal, since lawmakers are trying to protect marriage with amendments and specify who "qualifies" to do so, people should not be jumping in and out of marriages at will.

September 12, 2009 at 7:42 am |
  31. Arjun Kunwar

UMM.... sounds a good IDEA!... Does it takes us out of Recession?..IF Yes then i am up for it.

September 12, 2009 at 8:04 am |
  32. Buddy Love

Ban divorce? There should be a ban on marriage! Who needs it....I have had hundreds of successful relationships without it.

September 12, 2009 at 8:09 am |
  33. Donna Hanakeawe

Yes, divorce should be banned. Not only is it in the scriptures, but at one time, I was contemplating divorce but did not believe in it. Due to my husbands continued physical abuse, I fell to my knees and ask GOD for help. He responded to me that I could walk away from the marriage but to not divorce him. And, until this day, I can see why GOD does not approve divorces. Family has deteriorated a 100 fold.

September 12, 2009 at 8:11 am |
  34. Debra Peterson

...til death do us part! If divorce is no longer an option, there
    will be a rise in the number of untimely deaths of spouses.
    Lawyers will have less work, but morticians will pick up their
    business. Vote NO – this is not a good idea!!!

September 12, 2009 at 8:12 am |
  35. Mary- Georgia

First, this guy needs to rightly "divide the words of truth" and realize that those words he is trying to quote from the Bible refers to marriages in Christ, those that are true Chriistians and truly serving the Lord. Thus, it refers to those marriages that God put together.

Secondly, God does not put all marriage together – those that are only married under the laws of man and are not serving God. As long as this happens, there will be divorces, fighting and killings. Therefore, it is better for sinners to divorce than to take one or both parties out permanently.

September 12, 2009 at 8:14 am |
  36. Audrey

I think that maybe divorce should be banned. What's the point in getting married to somene to be with them for the rest of your life but then divorcing them a year later. I have always told myself that I would never even consider divorce once I get married. So I have been with my boyfriend for five years and have watched all my friends get married and some are already divorced and on their way to another marriage. It's almost ridiculous how marriage is something people just do on weekends,

September 12, 2009 at 8:15 am |
  37. Steve Wilson

Its a great idea but they need to legalize murder first.

September 12, 2009 at 8:17 am |
  38. Job

Absolute not ....... Just think about it

September 12, 2009 at 8:18 am |
  39. Drew

Yes, ban it... Marriage is not something you should be able to get in and out of so easily.

September 12, 2009 at 8:18 am |
  40. Sean Pugh

If the government is going to regulate who is allowed to get
    married, why not regulate divorce? Sounds fair to me.

September 12, 2009 at 8:18 am |
  41. Paul Martinez

Is this Guy even Married? Why don't he better ban himself from planet earth instead

September 12, 2009 at 8:19 am |
  42. Nicholas

If marriage were to become a protected institution, then I would have to presume that homicide rates would increase across the country.

September 12, 2009 at 8:19 am |
  43. james windings

No i do not think it should be banned. Some marrages get abusive and people dont want to be with each other anymore. It is natural for some people to divorse. this guy does not know what he is talking about period..............

September 12, 2009 at 8:20 am |
  44. larry bailey

Ban marriage and divorce will become obsolete. In all seriousness maybe a waiting period and contract agreement would be a good idea.

September 12, 2009 at 8:22 am |
  45. Stephen Wright

I don't know if banning divorce is a great idea, however with the huge rate of stupid people marrying too young and ending up divorce; there really should be a rule that says you have to be 30 to get married. Or to have kids for that matter.... (I'm 25 btw)

September 12, 2009 at 8:22 am |
  46. Rosa Salazar

No, divorce should not be illegal. Not everyone has the same beliefs. It is bad enough that the courts can ban gay marriage but now you want to take away divorce. What happens to the women that are abused and raped during marriage by their husbands? What if after 10 years of marriage they fall out of love? You want people to be miserable for the rest of their life because of your belief? Your God is not the only God. Your God, to my household doesn't exist. So the excuse that God hates divorce is a joke. Prove to me that God is real and maybe I will change my mind.

I know what is at the end... Nothing. Pure darkness. God is a joke. A way for society to fall into insecurities and make people feel as though they need to have something at the end.

September 12, 2009 at 8:23 am |
  47. MARILYN - FLORIDA

I feel so sad for the woman who believes that God told her to stay in a physically abusive marriage. That would not be God, that would not be Jesus, that would not be a thing that came from any kind of force for good.

There are many reasons why contracts could and should be broken. Just as many people live beautiful lives with their partners without every going into a contractual agreement, people who've made serious mistakes in signing a contract should have a legal way out of it.

Sure, eliminate divorce as an option, it would definately up the murder statistics. Criminal lawyers would profit mightily by a law like this one. The guy who suggested this surely had to be making what he thought was an absurd joke.

September 12, 2009 at 8:23 am |
  48. Brian

I don't believe people go into marriage thinking it will last forever any more. I think most see it as a temporary proposition. So, go with that. Driver's licenses are only for a short defined period. Make marriage licenses the same. Every 5 years or so they expire and require people to renew them with a test or something.

And I agree about what other's have said. The "Defense of Marriage" people are really just defending heterosexuality, not marriage. If they wanted to defend marriage it would be really hard to get married and nearly impossible to get divorced.

September 12, 2009 at 8:24 am |
  49. SYLVIA ESPEJO

FAR TOO MANY TIMES SO CALLED CHRISTIANS MISINTERPRET THE BIBLE. THE BIBLE CLEARLY STATES "WHAT GOD HAS JOINED...LET NO MAN PUT ASSUNDER". WITH THAT SAID....FAR TOO MANY TIMES PEOPLE GO OUT AND "JOIN" THEMSELVES, THAT UNION HAVING NOTHING TO DO WITH GOD. FIRST AND FOREMOST, YOU MUST BE OF "EQUAL YOKE" MEANING YOU MUST BOTH BE CHRISTIANS AND HAVE DEEP SPIRITUAL ROOTS PRIOR TO MARRIAGE. YOU SHOULD NOT BE OF THE WORLD AND MARRY ANOTHER INDIVIDUAL OF THE WORLD AND EXPECT THAT VERSION OF THE BIBLE TO APPLY!

September 12, 2009 at 8:24 am |
  50. Ian from LA

Marriage should be equal for everyone. Isn't America suppose to be about equality? Where in the US constitution does it say "Only a Man and Women should be allowed to Marry"

Besides... Can you imagine how huge of an impact it would be on our economy? Gay people love to buy! And they put on great parties and weddings. They are smart, own many businesses and practically run Hollywood. And have you seen West Hollywood and San Fransisco? Beautiful cities. Good economy. Friendly people. So what if there gay? Love it love. No one should fight against that, in any form.

I'm a happily married straight man with 3 kids. We have gay neighbors who are great people who love each other just as me and my wife do. They even babysit our kids sometimes. I would trust them over most people.

People are just scared of change and things they don't understand. People just need to start to become more open minded, we are all brothers and sisters and we need to recognize our differences.

September 12, 2009 at 8:24 am |
  51. Enrique

Divorce is a solution when the marriage is not working anymore. Then divorce will not be banned.

September 12, 2009 at 8:25 am |
  52. Specc

Although, it is a good thing for most young marriages to think twice before marrying since you'll never know down month or years together. Marriage is still an option not a priority.

September 12, 2009 at 8:25 am |
  53. Robert Owens

Divorce is our legal way of correcting mistakes. Some people should remember that "to err is human"

September 12, 2009 at 8:25 am |
  54. .Lee Schmidt

Ban divorce and the murder rate will go up!

September 12, 2009 at 8:25 am |
  55. Irina Artemenko

HI,My name's Irina. I think that divororce would be a nice thing to ban; maybe then ppl might think a little deeper into mariage, knowing there is NO divorce as an option... I'm just thinking, how the celebrities would react with that,,L.O.L. i think they are the top ppl who get divorced!... i dont know, but i do think it could be a good thikng :]

September 12, 2009 at 8:26 am |
  56. Abraham Henri

Banning divorce wouldn't help marriages in any way. If love diminishes between a couple even law enforcement cannot uphold it. It is a good thing not to divorce because that's what God wants for believers but every one may not have faith. Maybe counseling and prayer is a better alternative to stay married "till death do us part".

September 12, 2009 at 8:27 am |
  57. Elliot Glassman

As a gay man who cannot get married legally, I am all for banning divorce. Even if gay men can get married, they ought to ban gay divorce. As for all marriage, there might be a lot more murders, but at least the sanctity of marriage will be upheld.

September 12, 2009 at 8:28 am |
  58. Ned

Yes! Californians voted to support Prop 8 in 2008, which is to protect the sanctity of marriage. What better way then to ban divorce? Perhaps adultery should also be banned? Please don't allow divorcing couples to turn California into a hypocritical state!

September 12, 2009 at 8:28 am |
  59. Sharon,Daniel Island, South Carolina

September 12, 2009 at 8:28 am |
  60. Keith

No where in scripture can one find God approving of divorce. It's permitted, but only for sexual immorality. That being said, banning divorce is the role of the church (LDS, Church of Christ, Catholicism) not the state since all marriages are not simply in the eyes of God, but are actually legal contracts. Lots of married people are not religious.

September 12, 2009 at 8:29 am |
  61. Ann

Divorce has two sides to it. If a person is in an abusive or life-threatening relationship, he/she should absolutely have a right to divorce and protect his/herself. But people who get divorced because they are tired of dealing with someone or don't like the things that someone does are unbelievable. As the teenage daughter of divorced parents, I feel that my parents had no excuse to get divorced. They claimed it was for the better, but it only made all of our lives more stressful. Neither of my parents were in danger from the other. Couples, as in the case of my parents, who weren't willing to work through things should then be forced to work through things. Divorce should be reserved for those who absolutely need it, for those who have no other outlet.

September 12, 2009 at 8:30 am |
  62. idella

betty–Please wear longer skirts or dresses or pants .. it would look more professional in the morning.

September 12, 2009 at 8:33 am |
  63. dannon

i dont think that divorce should be illegal. what if a couple gets married and, lets say for typing sake, the woman finds someone who is there real soul mate? what is she supposed to do? i also think that if divorce was illegal i think that there would be another form of seperation between spouses: death. i think that death rates for married couples would go up because they cannot get divorces.

September 12, 2009 at 8:33 am |
  64. Mick B

God himself said a man and women should stay together, so man said they can divorce if they greased the wheels of this system of things. Anybody can walk away from a bad marriage to get out of harms way, but they are still married. Now man says "no divorce permitted" but God says you can if your spouse commits adultry, Should we not just listen to our creator?

September 12, 2009 at 8:34 am |
  65. A.Mccloud

No! The person whom is trying to banned Marriage should go back and read the Bible. In the Bible once you depart from someone; you don't go back to that person. I did read this in the Bible years ago. Yes, God want all to stay together; but it's not in the Bible where God say do not get a Devoice. I feel all should leave God out of something they want done to please them. Yes, i would love to stay Married; but iam not going to stay Married to a misstake.

September 12, 2009 at 8:35 am |
  66. Sarah

WHY ARE YOU NOT PLAYING A LONGER SEGMENT OF THE PRESIDENT’S SATURDAY ADDRESS? YOU PLAYED ALMOST 2 MINUTES OF THE REPUBLICANS’ SATURDAY ADDRESS, AND LESS THAN 1 MINUTE OF PRESIDENT OBAMA’S SATURDAY ADDRESS — WHAT HE HECK IS THAT ABOUT?? DOES THE PRESIDENT NOT DESERVE MORE THAN A MINUTE ON A SO – CALLED NEWS STATION.

SECONDLY, WHY ARE YOU NOT DISCUSSING THE 10 YEAR TREASURY REPORT THAT THE PRESIDENT IS SPEAKING ABOUT IN HIS ADDRESS, WHY ARE YOU NOT DOING A NEWS STORY ON THE 10-year Treasury Department study of health insurance coverage in the United States, unveiled on Saturday, that President Obama is speaking of in his Staurday Address to the Nation.

Why are you not talking about the fact that over the last twelve months, nearly six million more Americans lost their health coverage – that’s 17,000 men and women every single day!

CNN NEEDS TO START DOING ITS JOB, AND INFORM THE NATION THAT THERE IS REALLY A HEALTH CARE CRISIS IN THIS COUNTRY, THAT FAMILIES ALL OVER AMERICA ARE GOING WITHOUT HEALTHCARE INSURANCE, LEAVING THEM VULNERABLE TO BANKRUPCY, AND EVEN DEATH , BECAUSE THEY DO NOT HAVE HEALTHCARE INSURANCE COVERAGE.

Maybe CNN should start doing their job as a NEWS station, and inform the American people of the important things our President is saying, HOW ABOUT PLAYING MORE THAN 1 minute of President Obama’s Saturday address, it is important that American hear the facts from our President.

September 12, 2009 at 8:37 am |
  67. Jo

A BIG "NO." It simply goes against our "Freedom of Choice." Everyone has a basic constitutional right to determine what is best for them.

Sidebar: A lot of people get married too young and don't really know the person with whom they are making a commitment. People change as they grow older, some people should not be together under any circumstance and some people should never marry and have children.

September 12, 2009 at 8:37 am |
  68. J. Crouch

Don't waste our time putting this on the ballot. What has happened to the separation of church and state ?. I believe that the ban on gay marriage passed because of how it was written. Divorce is not as damaging to our society as greed. Greed will lead to the demise of our country not divorce. If you want to ban something ban greed!

September 12, 2009 at 8:38 am |
  69. Pierre

I definitely think it's a good idea to ban divorce. There are too many kids growing up with broken families. I'm sure that if we were to take a study showing the differences between a child growing up in a traditional, non-divorced family, versus a child growing up with a broken family (due to divorce), there would be a huge difference...and I don't even have to tell you which of the two kids would benefit in life more. Actually, much of our crimes out there are committed by people who come from a divorced family. Throughout history, married couples learned to "stick it out" in a relationship and even if they couldn't stand being together, they still stayed married FOR THE CHILDREN. This was and will always be, the right thing to do. What's the point of getting married if you know you can leave the marriage much like in a dating relationship? It makes no sense to me.

September 12, 2009 at 8:39 am |
  70. Caroline Davis

To a certain extent, I can understand this man's point of view. I also believe that when you marry someone, it should be for life. But I also know that a lot of people get involved in unhealthy or even dangerous relationships. If you are married to someone who is abusive or who has a damaging addiction that could wreck your family, like drugs, alcohol, or gambling, divorce should always be an option.

But I also think too many people think of divorce as an easy way out. People who have a quick, passionate affair and decide to get married find out within the first few years that they are incompatible. Two people have unprotected sex and get pregnant and choose to get married because they feel it is best for the child. There are countless other examples of people who enter into marriage without really thinking about it first. They don't give it serious consideration, weighing the pros and cons, and they should.

But in the end, I don't believe it should be banned and I don't think it will ever happen. Each person out there makes their own choices and follows their own path and they will have to live with the consequences of their decision. We all have that freedom, which goes back to the fact that this nation was founded on the concept of freedom of religion, of speech, of all those first amendment rights we learned about in school.

But I do believe more people should really think about what they are doing before they get married or before they get divorced. Divorce hurts the couple involved, any children they have, and the extended family. It should never be considered an "easy way out."

September 12, 2009 at 8:39 am |
  71. ALEX BEATTY

MATHEW 5:31 It hath been said Whosoever shall put away his wife let him give her a WRITING OF DIVORCEMENT.
    There is no place for these religeous people to start discussion "in the name of the lord" when they don't even know what the bible says

September 12, 2009 at 8:41 am |
  72. A.Mccloud

If a person Marriage is a misstake 'Devoice'. If a person Marriage is true love ' Live together for ever'. Amen.

September 12, 2009 at 8:45 am |
  73. Suzanne

When did the United States change from a democracy to a theocracy? What happened to the separation of church and state?

September 12, 2009 at 8:48 am |
  74. James

Ban divorce? My opinion on this topic is a I think a Ban divorce would create other problems . Such is cheating. Because I feel that if a person is not happy in this situation. Is and to the constitutional rights to be with whoever you choose to be with. Also this guy have stated that divorce is a sin. And I'd truly think if you're into a very bad relationship in you no longer was to be together there is no law in this world, to tell you you have no other choice

September 12, 2009 at 8:48 am |
  75. Garry Nielsen

Should divorce be banned?

Sure, but why bother? Just ban marriage. Has any institution besides maybe jail caused more misery and discontent? Besides...it's archaic. Its time has come and gone. The Brady Bunch went off the air a long time ago.

But more importantly, we should ban guys to rubber rooms who are absolutely certain about just what God wants.

September 12, 2009 at 8:51 am |
  76. Robert

We should vote to have it banned! If the state can vote to allow only certain citizens to marry, then it should support this decision by banning divorce to help prevent the deterioration of traditional marriages for these privileged couples. Let's make adultery illegal as well! Then perhaps we'll see how many people will realize that marriage and divorce should be a free and personal decision open to ALL adult citizens of the state–and not an agreement that is designed by the moral guidelines of its citizens.

September 12, 2009 at 8:51 am |
  77. Spanishfly

Divorce can be banned, but when they get married they have to sign an agreement that if their husband/wife ends up dead or missing that they will be charged with the crime....

September 12, 2009 at 8:56 am |
  78. James McEiver

Get Governments greedy hands out of the marriage! Ban having to aquire a marriage lisence. The Divorce industry is an enormous money making machine for Government. Larger than General motors, General Electric, and Microsoft combined! Wake up America!
    And then the courts PRETEND "it's all about the children". That is the HUGEST lie. Government could care less about the children! They care about money and money alone. Each state in this country competes with neighbor states to have the most divorces so that they can receive the largest FEDERAL subsidies (dollars!) They encourage divorce, I,E, ...advertisements (Get divorced for $99 dollars). People who believe in divorce should not get married in the 1st place. Marriage is a covenant with god, and NOT a Donald Trump contract to back out of like a coward when the conditions are no longer convenient. Get government OUT of the divorce industry, and then certainly out of our pockets!

September 12, 2009 at 8:56 am |
  79. Steve

Being a man who has been divorced twice, I would have to disagree with this. I do believe in marriage, but sometimes there are circumstances where it is better to go your seperate ways than attempt to stay together.

September 12, 2009 at 9:06 am |
  80. Kim

Interesting that this man presumes to know what God hates. I don't think that divorce should be banned. The vows you take are between you, your spouse and God. Free will gives us the option to break that vow.

September 12, 2009 at 9:06 am |
  81. Mika

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks marriage should be outlawed. By doing so there would be no need for divorce. However the only draw back to this would be for the children should a relationship end since child support and custody would still have to go through the courts. The other draw back would be to how would property be dispersed in the event of a breakup or death? What would the ramifications of one person ending up in the hospital and now the next of kin no longer is legally a spouse? Would a contract, such as in a business merger, be needed in order to protect the rights of one person or both? Regardless, I still think a marriage license should be issued by the government if it's a religious matter OTHERWISE it should be issued to anyone regardless if it's a same homosexual marriage or a heterosexual marriage.

September 12, 2009 at 9:10 am |
  82. robert barnett

Should marriage be banned? Should we as a people (americans) continue on with the pattern of allowing our christian heritage to dissappear from the face of the earth? It is a fact that the muslim faith is growing exponentially and within 10-15 years will outpace us as christians (worldwide). Ban marriage? This means slowing the growth of our people even more, less births. I suggest that we ban divorce. If you make a committment, keep it. Live happily and have lots of children. Teach them christian values, keep our heritage and our american civization alive and viable, growing, not dieing out. Ban marriage? The nutcase that started this insane movement must be not only anti-american but also gay. He certainly cannot be christian as he seems to infer when he says that got hates divorce. Got does not "hate" anything or anyone. God certainly must bless this man before he suggests anything as stupid as this again. People have much better things to do than waste it on insane ideas.

September 12, 2009 at 9:39 am |
  83. Charles Kopack

No, it should not be banned – BUT – it should be heavily curtailed. What I mean is that unless specific conditions (abuse) are met, it should not be granted. (Especially in California, where it seems to be the state sport.) And – the exact reasons for the divorce whould be specifically spelled out (none of these terms like 'differences', etc.)

If that were the case, then perhaps the so called "acceptable" couples would think twice about getting married in the first place.

Further, in the case where the reason to get married was children, then, married or not, child support should be imposed.

The conservatives keep talking about the "sanctity" of marriage. Isn't that term a religious concept, not a civil one. Why are we mixing church and state?

September 12, 2009 at 9:49 am |
  84. ALEX BEATTY

This really is rediculous! Are people so content with pointing the finger at eachothers differences of oppinion that they have forgot about three important words in the constitution............LIFE,LIBERTY and the persuit of HAPPINESS ? It is a duty to preserve this way of liberty and allow people to apply these things to our lives our own way and not to expect others to apply them our way. The Constitution is a goverment document which lawmakers and regular citizens alike live within its stated perimeters. We have not allowed 100% of Americans to experience this to its fullest because too many large OPPINIONS have convenced lawmakers that some Americans should not be included because they are somehow different. I only ask that the arrogant bigotts please stop poisioning the minds of our society and allow liberty to be extended to ALL citizens. I've had enough of the liberty restricting legislation.

September 12, 2009 at 10:05 am |
  85. Mike Armstrong TX.

Wheres the seperation of church and state on this one it looks like our government creates more proublems then it solves.

September 12, 2009 at 10:08 am |
  86. Larry

yeah divorce should be illegal – at least until the youngest child turns 18 – the fundies all told us how important families are! as for any of the fundies who worked so hard to stop gay marriage & want to get divorced now, remember you took an oath for "as long as you both shall live", not "as long as you both shall love".
    or maybe, anybody who voted for Prop 8 can't get divorced – see if their money is where their mouths are

September 12, 2009 at 10:08 am |
  87. Marie

Banning Divorce would be a HUGE mistake. It will on the other hand open to more couples just living together without getting married instead of pushing to get united by law or in church.
    I am a divorcee and I think that this is the best thing I could have done to save my kids and myself from leaving in an environment in which I could not maintain a serenity and mutual decision for the wellbeing of my kids.
    There are things that you can't force out of certain adults if they just do not see or concive it that way and often these are things that most of the time you do not forsee before mariage.
    Maybe the church or the law should require that a couple start living together for at least 1 year to evaluate their ability of sharing their everyday obligations and life together, before they unite. This may reduce the amount of divorces but it cannot be banned. The law would have to deal with many other things that they may not be able to handle but that could be under control after a divorce.
    Banning divorce would mean for exemple that a woman who is badly bitten by her husband and even her kids cannot ask for a divorce. He may just kill them one day, as it surely hapenned already, and she cannot divorce him, what is this?!...

September 12, 2009 at 11:03 am |
  88. Bill

This is so stupid! You can't expect people to stay together if they do NOT want to be together!

September 12, 2009 at 11:08 am |
  89. Cam

Who is John Marcotte to impose his religeous beliefs on every other person in the U.S.? I thought that the idea of freedom meant that he can be a Christian who doesn't believe in divorce, and that the rest of us can be that or anything else in reference to religeon, politics, philosphy, etc. I don't understand the type of personality who does not respect other people, and feels that his or herself is so high and mighty that he/she can impose their religeon on others through government action. Would Jesus try to force himself on people? I don't think so!

This man is the farthest thing from a Christian that there is! He hates people, is arrogant, and thinks we should all be just like him. No thanks!
    WWJD

September 12, 2009 at 11:59 am |
  90. Pam

Perhaps a better proposition should read like this: "Should marriage be banned?"

September 12, 2009 at 12:08 pm |
  91. Sabrina

People are just getting crazy!!! How stupid is this? One, I think that anyone that is in love with another human being, be it man or woman, should be able to marry. Nothing at all wrong with that. Second, guess you people that think it should be banned have never been in an abusive marriage. Banning it will just lead to more asualt victims and murders in some cases.

I was threatened with death, I had a 2 year old. I took her and ran for our lives. He was not the father of course. I had no help from the police, they had been called several times in the past.

Banning diviorce will lead to alot of other problems.

September 12, 2009 at 12:28 pm |
  92. Amy

I agree. If the religious right wants to use the "sanctity" of marriage argument against gay marriage then they should not be allowed to divorce to save the "sanctity" of marriage.

September 12, 2009 at 2:39 pm |
  93. Michael Herman

It's time for those who thumped the Bible during Prop 8 to show their true colors. Are they really for the Bible, or are they just hypocritical Neo-Cons?

September 12, 2009 at 3:30 pm |
  94. Janet Bajan

Banning divorce is the logical next step in the "preservation of marriage" campaign.

I just spoke on-line with a mormon missionary on the church web site about this. I asked if we could expect the same resounding church support for this initiative as they provided Proposition 8. He hung up on me, so I never got an answer. But I plan to put this question to various "preserve marriage" societies and churches.

After all, if they're not all behind this initiative, what would this say?

September 12, 2009 at 3:34 pm |
  95. PJ

I believe in divorce if it is for a good reason. Californian’s problem is that the make it to easy to get of a marriage. The court should focus on making it a little harder to take the easy way out of a marriage. Then maybe the children of divorce would be given a better chance at success. The line it is better for the children is just an easy way out and very self-centered. Children seeing parent’s work on issues and that being responsible is not always easy but end the end more rewarding.

September 12, 2009 at 3:57 pm |
  96. John S. in CA

I am amazed (and amused) how few of the commentors on this thread have apparently ever heard of satire. I suppose Poe's Law is most definitely alive and well. But then, the story even lets you know that John Marcotte is a social prankster/satirist. How gullible can one be?

For those of you who write things like: "Everybody should decide for themselves" or "What happened to the separation of church and state?" or "Keep the government out of my marriage" or "That's not what the bible says" .... Why should we think any differently about a law that bans marriage between same-sex couples?

Yes, this proposal is absurd! And so was Prop 8!

September 12, 2009 at 4:39 pm |
  97. Curious

It seems to me that anyone who supported the ban on gay marriage because it threatens "traditional marriage" would also support this ballot initiative. I would like to hear from anyone who supports banning gay marriage but thinks that banning divorce is a bad idea. Divorce seems to me to be a bigger threat to "traditional marriage".

September 12, 2009 at 4:40 pm |
  98. Andy

Marriage is a lifetime commitment and one ought not to be able to abandon it via divorce except under extreme circumstances. Consider the consequences of your actions and use foresight before making such a commitment. Divorce is simply an abortion of one or more person's inability or unwillingness to work through their situation of which most, if not all was created as a direct result of his/her participation.
    -26 year old male. Independent.

September 12, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  99. Laura

No, divorce shouldn't be banned, but it should treated as something worse than death when there are kids involved. I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but children who come from divorced parents generally don't succeed as highly as they could and/or have pretty messed up emotional issues. That's the only tragedy to divorce, in my opinion.

September 12, 2009 at 6:38 pm |
  100. Lauren

I think that American society in general needs to try more carefully in choosing a spouse because of our nation's divorce rate being so high, but I don't believe banishing the right to divorce is the best answer. I think that this would harbor extremely negative consequences, like a substantial increase in affairs. A better way to approach this problem would be to have mandatory education in high school about how to choose a spouse for the right reasons and what it takes to cultivate a good relationship.

September 12, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  101. randy

More important then marriage or divorce is the issue of child support. Men should ware protection or man up to child support payments

September 12, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  102. Misty

That is the way that GOD intended it to be. I would definately support your cause. This will make people really think about the reason why they want to marry and know once they do say "I DO' they will truly mean it.

September 13, 2009 at 1:11 am |
  103. Jasmine Milliner

I believe that divorce is a situation that shouldn't be taken lightly but i do not believe it should banned. I also think that people take marriage as a joke. Instead of banning divorce there should have to be protocal to go through for people who want to get married. For them to really think about is this what they want to do with this person.

September 13, 2009 at 1:11 am |
  104. David P Vernon

Tucson, AZ – We had those laws once, and some states still make divorce quite difficult. They do not work. Youc annot make people marry, or stay married, any more than the State can cmpel any desired behavior or effectively prevent any undesired behavior. Under the rule of sense,i.e., "my rights end where they begin to infringe on yours, and vice versa", the lesslaw about this the better!

September 13, 2009 at 6:08 pm |
  105. Brad Zetterlund

If a couple gets married in a church and promises before God, family, friends and the church, Yes it should be outlawed. To many take the seriousness of that to light. To many Christians have made a joke of the "christian" vows and the promise they made. It will be interesting to see how many who claimed the sanctity of marriage is so important in Calif. {prop. 8} but remain silent on this. The hypocricy will be running strong.

September 14, 2009 at 3:19 am |
  106. Lex

Yes. If you're going to ban gay marriage on moral/traditional grounds to protect the sanctity of marriage, then it only makes sense to ban divorce as well.

September 14, 2009 at 3:15 pm |
  107. patti

It's apparent that not a single person of the 105 that posted a comment actually went to the site and read any of the articles posted.

Look up Poe's Law – I have a feeling most of these people would be read-faced...to put it mildly.

September 15, 2009 at 1:30 am |
  108. Bushra

I think that the divorce rate in Pakistan is low because women do not have means, resources and the social support system to actually end bad and torturous marriages. I personally divorced and commited the "social crime" of getting a divorce in a traditional Pakistani society. How do you end a bad marriage if you have no option? Divorce is misused but that is a responsiblity that adults should take when things are bad and do not expose each other to further hurt and pain. I don't think that its possible to keep people happily married by shutting the door and trapping them into staying together. There should always be a way out.

October 19, 2009 at 1:04 am |