Today on CNN Newsroom

September 17th, 2009

The 30 Second Pitch

Every Thursday in CNN NewsRoom with Kyra Phillips we're trying to connect job seekers with potential employers.

We call it The 30 Second Pitch.

This week we're featuring laid-off senior marketing executive Ken Won.

If you have a job for him, you may e-mail him at:
kwon357@yahoo.com

Also, check out his website designed to encourage job seekers in this tough economy.

1. AB

About losing manners, I don't think so. Americans are the most diplomatic, well mannered people in the world.
    We are losing the context in which a responsible senator/citizen spoke his heart out. That is how one feels when someone takes away your right to good health care.
    I am surprised noone else in the senate had done that so far. What are other senators waiting for? This socialist, bad for everyone health care DEform (not REform) to pass??!!
    It is a shame other senators did not support him. Lets focus on the real challenge here CNN, which is health care, not manners.

September 19, 2009 at 12:33 pm |
  2. Farrukh

We have a freedom of speech but I think we are at a point where we have started to abuse that freedom. I think that people in America have started to forget the manners. The manners that Americans were recognized for. I think we should speak freely but don't leave the handle of mannerism. People in America has simply become rude.

September 19, 2009 at 4:08 pm |
  3. Ms Long

I think it's a shame that equality has done away with men being gentlemen and women being ladies. I work at a high school and often have kids walk right at me instead of being courteous. It's like being at a flashing red light and no one knows who has the right away. They need to be taught basic etiquette rules. We need more Miss Manners out there.

September 19, 2009 at 4:48 pm |
  4. Kaplan Mobray Author, The 10Ks of Personal Branding

Hi Fredericka and Kyra

Thanks for producing this segment it is very helpful and an innovative way to help job seekers connect with employers in this challenging economy. Ken did an excellent job in delivering his 30 second pitch mostly because he did not just list his past jobs and roles but instead he gave a succinct account of his past contributions. In my book, The 10Ks of Personal Branding I speak on the elevator speech and the importance of communicating your contribution not just your role as an effective way to make yourself a memorable candidate. Two other pieces of advice I would offer for your viewers.

1. When communicating your elevator pitch make sure to highlight specific skills that you have that an employer may be looking for
    2. It is always effective to let prospective employers know what others say about you especially if the referral comes from a highly credible source.

Glad to see that your feature on Ken could demonstrate this and wish him and your other guests much success.

Kaplan Mobray, Author The 10Ks of Personal Branding

September 19, 2009 at 5:56 pm |
  5. Katy Mccray

I AM GETTING DESPERATE IN KY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Please tell me how to get on the air. I have been out of work since March 2009. My skills follow:

1. software instructor for over 10 years (use Microsoft office 2003 and 2007;
    2. helped staff and students make transition from 2003 to 2007 software
    3. A+ hardware computer training completed this summer
    4. office work of any nature (executive assistant, office consulting, etc.)
    Please email to lois@qx.net to discuss my skills with your company.
    Katy Mccray

September 21, 2009 at 2:29 pm |
  6. Behzad Khalilnia

Dear Kyra,
    I am an experienced Architect and Construction Manager looking for an employment within the US or overseas. I would like to make a 30 seconds pitch presentation. Please contact me and explain what is the procedure.
    Sincerely
    Behzad Khalilnia
    Houston, Texas

October 15, 2009 at 1:42 pm |
  7. Katy Mccray

Dear Kyra,
    I have been trying to get on your on air for the 30 second pitch for some time. I am a professional software person and have taught everything from 4 year olds to college age to an 80 year old web design. Please give me a 30 SEC PITCH SOON. Thanks so much for your consideration....
    Katy Mccray