Today on CNN Newsroom

September 18th, 2009

Honoring Vietnam Fallen

The creators of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial want to collect pictures of all 58,261 people whose names are on The Wall.

If you've got a photo you can go to your nearest Fed Ex to have it scanned or upload it yourself at the memorial website.

For details on how to get photos of your loved one who died in the Vietnam War you can click here .

Memorial builders are also looking for donations to build the education center. If you're interested in helping out, click here.

Filed under: Kyra Phillips
  1. Bill Money

This is very poignant and inspiring. The idea of seeing these heroes- on the grounds of the Lincoln Memorial – next to the Wall is incredible.

America's heroes are still out there – they fight in Afghanistan or anywhere that has people desirous of harming Americans. This will honor all , as I understand it and is way overdue. The website is http://www.vvmf.org. The place will display the items left at The Wall? Cool really moving!!!!!!!

Bill Money

September 18, 2009 at 11:52 am |
  2. Greg Domian

I lost my brother in 1966 and it just seems like yesterday. I think this is a great idea and will submit a photo and information...

September 18, 2009 at 1:19 pm |
  3. Bill Kibler

The VVMF is once again striving to make sure our Vietnam Veterans are remembered. Please help them get the word out about this program. I can't wait to see their new Visitors Center come to fruitation but it takes a lot of work. Be sure to donate via their website at http://www.vvmf.org

Semper Fidelis – Signed, a USMC Beirut Veteran

September 18, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  4. Norman Weaver

CNN, I want to say thank for you doing this story. I'm the son of a Vietnam Veteran(Deceased) on Active Duty serving my country as we speak. I have pictures of my father I want the world to see. My father is gone but not forgotten. I salute all Veterans. Thanks!!

Respectfully,

N.Weaver
    Chief Petty Officer
    United States Navy

September 18, 2009 at 1:45 pm |
  5. Martie Sowers

I think this is a wonderful idea. My husband was KIA in Vietnam. I will happily send a photo – what a wonderful remembrance. He may be gone from my life – but he is never gone from my heart.

September 18, 2009 at 2:04 pm |
  6. Judith Dietz

Our fallen Warriors should never be forgotten. That is why our Gold Star Family Committee was formed, which I am the Kansas Chairwoman. My Dad, Platoon Sergeant Glenn E. Nicholson was KIA on May 5, 1968 and our Mom (Emilie) was left with eight children

We are working with legislators to introduce a "stand alone" bill for a Gold Star Family license plate, which would let us display our RESPECT for our Fallen family members. These license plates are for those killed in combat.

Kansas Army ROTC in Lawrence Kansas had a ceremony on September 10th to honor my Dad, whom before going to Vietnam was an ROTC Instrucotr there. Former Cap. Lou Reymann and ret. Major General Kent Hillhouse flew from Maryland and California to be at the ceremony.

Mr. Reymann and Mr. Hillhouse had not seen one another since Vietnam which was forty-one years ago. This was a reunion for all of us and to honor my Dad, who we found out was truly a War Hero.

I am the middle child of the family and this ceremony meant the world to me, as it did to my other family members.

Our goal for the Gold Star Family Committee is, "Fifty plates in fifty states". Our website is: http://www.goldstarfamily.us

OUR FALLEN WARRIORS WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN!!!

September 18, 2009 at 2:30 pm |
  7. Erlyce Pekas

Thank you for supporting this worthwhile project. My fiance' died in Vietnam in 1966 when I was 19 years old. Fortunately for me, I was able to move on and marry, have children and grandchildren, and life is good, but I have never forgotten my first love, and he will always have a special place in my heart. I support Veterans unconditonally!

September 18, 2009 at 2:33 pm |
  8. Layna McConkey Peltier

VVMF continues to amaze me with their efforts. My children have grown up at The Wall, visiting their grandfather and touching his name. They can almost reach it themselves. What joy it will be when I am able to take my children to the education center. The experience for them to have my dad's picture appear when they touch his name is priceless. Thank you!

Layna McConkey Peltier
    Wayne McConkey, USA, KIA 9/70

September 18, 2009 at 3:01 pm |
  9. Mike Mansfield

This is an exceptional idea. It provides a way of healing old wounds for many of us who knew these men as well as giving the entire country a chance to put a face to a name.

September 18, 2009 at 3:04 pm |
  10. Don Atchinson

I appreciate the accuracy of the article, as it refers the Vietnam Veterans Memorial by name correctly. I just wish when I hear over the radio or net as the Vietnam Memorial, the media could get it right.

September 18, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  11. Denison Hatch

What a fabulous idea!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great support from Fed Ex.

September 18, 2009 at 6:10 pm |
  12. ann pruett

I AM THRILLED ABOUT ADDING PICTURES TO THE NEW UNDERGROUND VIETNAM MEMORIAL. I AM EQUALLY THRILLED THAT THIS WILL BE TO HONOR ALL OF OUR HERO VETERANS. I CAN HARDLY WAIT TO GO THERE AND SEE IT IN PERSON.

September 18, 2009 at 7:10 pm |
  13. Ron Riley

I'm a Viet Nam veteran who was lucky enough to survive the combat. This is a wonderful idea and I thank you for putting this program together. Lonnie Parker is one of the soldiers who did not survive. I hope he is looking down on us, as we try to keep the memory of those who gave it al,l alive in our hearts.

September 18, 2009 at 8:38 pm |
  14. Judy Baker Williams

I can't believe just just the mention of Vietnam brings floods of memories. I lost my best friend / "adopted brother" , John Wayne Acosta, July 1969. Wayne had just left and was starting his 3rd tour He had only been back in Nam for 2 weeks.

The Wall in D.C. was so moving on my trip that we ended up visiting several times. No matter what time of day, someone was always there connecting one last time.

I will be honored to take Wayne's picture to Fed Ex and hope to visit D.C. again in his memory.

September 18, 2009 at 9:42 pm |
  15. Tina Stevens

Thank you for calling attention to this great project. My uncle was killed in Vietnam. Sadly I never met him but I am looking forward to keeping his memory alive with the help of VVMF!

September 18, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  16. Sarah Marsh Blasius

As one of the members of the Vietnam Memorial Wall Teachers' Network, I am moved and gratified to know that you are putting faces with the names. The names alone are a stark reminder of the lives they represent. The pictures will bring them "home" to us. Many of my students will look at this display and remember what it means to them – to all of us – a sacrifice for our freedom.
    Thank you.

September 18, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  17. L.Marc Burlile,Sr.

As a Veteran and a family member of one of the names on The Wall, I feel this is a proper way to teach future generations about what War is about and not to let them forget the price they paid for our freedom. I made a promise to Gen. Moore, Joe Gallaway, and to those whom are listed on The Wall that I would not let the public forget them. My Cousin is on panel 3E Line 52, Sp4 Thomas E. Burlile. I admire the courage all those brave men and women for their sacrifice and service to this Great Nation. This one way to honor their memory. I promise I will not forget them and nor should you.

September 18, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  18. Milton Smith

Kyra I like to use social diagnostics at times to see where peoples intelligence levels are. It some times gets me into trouble i like trouble at times because of me being a man. I talk non sense at times and use propaganda or even bold faced lies to see what type of person they are. It's easy to live life following some even if you think of them like as a divine but that's being dull witted. I keep things simple so my path is untouchable like traveling in a straight line.

September 18, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  19. Vicki Davison Townsend

My brother was killed during the USAF Boxer 22 SAR while trying to rescue Ben Danielson who did not make it and
    Woody Bergeron who did. David died 1 week before leaving for Hawaii
    and getting married. I will be pleased to contribute his picture to this learning
    facility. Thank you so much for the opportunity to pay tribute to all our heroes.

September 18, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  20. Elaine Boykin

What a great honor for all the young men that died in this war. I lost my brother, Robert Thomas Boykin in 1967 and I will be providing a photo.

September 18, 2009 at 11:40 pm |
  21. Jim Sheppard - 50th Infantry Historian

Thank you Kyra and CNN for helping us "Put Faces with the names".

It's a shame that thousands of these honored men have, for so long, been only names etched in stone.

Those of us who served with these men remember their faces....but this effort will insure that their legacy lives on.

Myself and the Association of the 1st Battalion, 50th Infantry have been a part of helping this process for several years now. Hopefully, this call for help will be heard!

September 19, 2009 at 1:39 am |
  22. Douglas M Johnson

As a Vietnam veteran, I appreciate the effort that CNN and Fedex are working on in conjunction with acquiring photos of soldiers whose names appear on the Vietnam Memorial Wall. It has been 40 years since my time there, but memories of my platoon members killed in action remains constant in my mind every day.

September 19, 2009 at 6:43 am |
  23. Bonnie Ellis

My brother's name is on the wall. This comes just a few days after the 40th anniversary of his death, which was Sept 16th, 1969. A thank you to all that support the memory of those that we lost.

September 19, 2009 at 7:53 am |
  24. Gary O. Alton

Many thanks to CNN for getting the good news out regarding the call for photos of the heroes whose names are etched on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. These photos will be a very important part of the Education Center that is being built by the VVMF.

September 19, 2009 at 11:10 am |
  25. Carol Haberchak

This just warms my heart. My first love and soul mate was KIA in February 1967. Over four decades have passed, but he is, and forever will be, in my heart. He and all of the brave heroes of Vietnam deserve everything that is done on their behalf to honor their memories and the ultimate sacrifices they made.

I completed the Photo Information Form and took it with the pictures of my solder to Fedex today and they have been uploaded to the VVMF's website. I look forward to someday being able to see the completed project firsthand. Heartfelt thanks to the VVMF for all they have done to keep these heroes' memories alive.

September 19, 2009 at 7:47 pm |
  26. Willie P Hires

Thank you so much for helping bring this project to life. There were so many that witnessed this first hand and have lost friends.

September 20, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  27. Elizabeth Cox

When you are finished with this project, and I see it being a great success, I would love to tell you the story of a little sister left behind. A dear and true friend of mine who would never write her own story, but has one worth telling. She is the little sister of CPL Raymond Donald Mareck, Army 1st Cav. God bless you all and may his blessings be plentiful on this project and all who participate.

September 20, 2009 at 2:57 pm |
  28. Steven W. Lessieur

So many decades,
    So many memories,
    So many sacrifices,
    So many LIVES !!!
    God love you all, and we will NEVER forget.

September 20, 2009 at 5:00 pm |
  29. Jeanne Penfold Nagy

My gratitude goes to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund for championing this lasting tribute to those who gave so much and to Fed Ex for their continuing support. My brother joined the Marines and was killed in action October, 1967. This tribute means a great deal to me and my family. Thanks CNN for the coverage.

September 20, 2009 at 6:40 pm |
  30. Bill Giles

The Wall is such a moving experience. Now, placing a face with the name on the Wall makes it even more personal. What a wonderful way to honor those who gave the ultimate sacrifice serving our country. I applaud VVMF for making sure these men and women are never forgotten.

September 21, 2009 at 8:24 am |
  31. Bubba Woods

Thanks for supporting this from a Vietnam Vet who served with Danang Dustoff, 236th Med Det, STRIVE TO SAVE LIVES

September 21, 2009 at 9:37 am |
  32. Kathy Brewer

This is wonderful and about time. These men, women and families gave so much for us and our freedom. They are true heroes!

September 21, 2009 at 11:54 am |
  33. Kat Cardona

I can't wait to get my husbands photo in. I loved him dearly and want him to be remembered forever in the education center.

September 21, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  34. LZ-XRAY SP4 Edward L. Times

I would like to say, Thank You to Jan Strugg,s and his Staff for making this possible for a face to be added to the Names on the Wall of Our Fallen Brothers,and Sisters of the Vietnam War. There are 305 of my Brothers Of the Battle of the IDRANG VALLEY, that Lt. Gen. Harold G. Moore, and Joe Galloway and Edward L. Times and the rest of Our Band Of Brothers still have Nightmares seeing faces of those that have left us here. On PANEL 3E that we will never Forget. Lt. Gen. Harold G. Moore Appointed Me SP4. LZ-XRAY Edward L. Times C0.B 1/7TH Cavalry We Were Soldiers, to place the Wreath,s Out every Vetrans Day at the WWII Memorial, the Vietnam Memorial Wall, and the Korean Memorial. I,am Honored. Freedom is Not Free. God Bless the 1ST CAVALRY DIVISION, The Frist Team. And God Bless, America. Our New Book is in the Book Stores Now. We Are Soldiers Still. GarryOwen!!! God Bless Our Troop,s on the Battlefields Today.

September 22, 2009 at 1:07 am |
  35. LZ-XRAY SP4 Edward L. Times

Thanks, for adding Faces to the Names on the Vietnam Memorial Wall, GarryOwen!!! From the Frist Batallion 7TH Cavalry Wreath Layer, SP4 Edward L. Times. IDRANG VALLEY VETRAN. NOV. 14,-16, 1965. We Were Soldiers

September 22, 2009 at 1:21 am |
  36. Rachel Hardin Patterson

What a wonderful and touching project! My father was killed in Vietnam in April, 1968. His death left a big void in my soul, and scarred the hearts of all who loved him. Seeing the names at the Wall was overwhelming. I can imagine what an awesome vision it will be to see all the faces to go with the names. What an impact that will make to keep alive the memories of those, like my father, who paid the ultimate price. Hopefully, they will not only be seen as names on a wall, but as the real people they were who should have had much more life ahead of them. Thank you so much for all of your efforts with this project.

September 22, 2009 at 2:57 am |
  37. William Hammond

Big thanks should go to CNN for its coverage of and support for this wonderful project, which will put faces to the names on the Wall and ensure that the sacrifices of those who fell in Vietnam are not forgotten. Jan Scruggs and the folks at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund deserve a lot of credit, too, both for taking the reins in this effort and for all they have done over the years to keep the Wall and its healing mission front and center! God Bless one and all!

September 22, 2009 at 9:32 am |
  38. John Griffin

As a Vietnam Veteran, I am really looking forward to this. But I don't think it is selfish because my sons and friends will be able to put a face on some buddies that I have told them about. Thank you all for the support.

September 22, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  39. Jackye Brant

As usual the program for the kick off for photos was a moving experience. Thank you for letting me be a part of such an important project. We can never forget.

September 22, 2009 at 8:19 pm |
  40. Irene ( Akehurst) Bryant

They are gone but not forgotton and what a wonderful way to present their storey. I have been privileged to be told "the rest of the story"
    of how my brother died Feb. 1968. Left behind are many "brothers"
    who still grieve.
    I have already sent my brothers photo for this wonderful project and
    encourage others to do the same.

Thanks to all who have worked so hard on the education center
    and to all those who served in Vietnam.

September 22, 2009 at 8:30 pm |
  41. steve cantley

years ago i lost a good friend in viet nam shelby stover. i always wanted to know how he died.

November 7, 2009 at 9:52 pm |
  42. steve cantley

i like to thank the late ssgt bary sadler for his touching music of the green berades

November 7, 2009 at 9:54 pm |