Today on CNN Newsroom

September 20th, 2009

A Black Man's Experience Inside the Tea Party

The massive Tea Party rally in Washington, DC, included anti-Obama signs and posters that some people believe were racist in sentiment. Lloyd Marcus, an African-American who traveled with the Tea Party Express as it held rallies across the country leading up to the Capitol, says the racism charge is patently false. CNN's Don Lemon spoke with Marcus about the controversy.

Filed under: CNN Newsroom
  1. Mark from Boston

They should issue a pound of rice with ever cd
    ...to go with the corn.

The current vitriol has SORE LOSER and immaturity written all over it. Saying the current debate has nothing to do with race is irresponsible and akin to saying the illegal war in Iraq had everything to do
    with Al Qaeda. Ninety (90) percent of African Americans voted for Barack Obama. That being said, only the naïve would believe that NONE of the “Tea Party Express” weren’t just as biased especially considering the fact almost all of those who attended the march on Washington were white.

As Americans we need to do a better job of compromising and stop allowing the Glenn Becks of the world to make themselves wealthy by being divisive. It’s like America’s been diagnosed with lung cancer and we’re working with the best Oncologist; yet, we know our chances of death are not only possible but probable. And, although I disagree with big government, I understand why it is important. From Bernie Evers to Bernie Madoff, America is on the brink of depression BECAUSE OF the lack of government regulations, not in spite of.
    Help Fight “Socialism”
    End Medicare & Social Security For Conservatives NOW! – just sayin’!

September 20, 2009 at 9:12 pm |
  2. Ernest

Tea party was very racist not only covertly but overtly, of which the most overt racism is on display with those witch doctor and "go back to Keyna" signs. What is even more mind wrenching is Mr. Marcus. How is it possible for a black man to say or act as if he's conservative? What is he trying to conserve? The term "conservative" is valed code language for "racist" in my opinion, and utterly makes no sense to me to see an African American attending any of these tea partys! I can imagion only one of two things: they actually believe these white conservatives except them as equals or they're getting paid!!!!

September 21, 2009 at 8:35 am |
  3. Ken in NC

Lloyd Marcus doesn't think some of the signs of President Obama pictured as Hitler or as a Witch Doctor are racist. Now that is funny. I am a Black man 61 years old and I consider it racist. In fact it is so racist that even Stevie Wonder can see it.

September 21, 2009 at 8:49 am |
  4. Mike Armstrong TX.

People sees a hand full of idiots at a rally with witch doctor sighns and that in returnes makes the whole country racist has any body stop to think that this isnt fair to those that arnt racist .

September 21, 2009 at 8:52 am |
  5. Ruth will

ENOUGH ALREADY!! I WENT TO THE 912 TEA PARTY, DID ANY OF
    YOU COMMENTING HERE GO! NO, So Please, Please Grow-up.
    FIRST of all I consider my self an independent, I grew up in D.C.
    subs, my 7 Bro & Sis still live there, I currently reside in MO, a purple
    state. I voted Dem & Rep all my life, currentluy,62yr. W fem. To classify
    concerned, responsible, and patriotic citizens as racist is not just plain wrong, but HYPOCRTICAL. How short your memories must be if you can't remember Bush being portrayed as Hitler, burned in effigy, called a liar on the house floor, etc., etc. Further memory serves me, i never
    heard the liberal press cry RACISM, when people like Clarence Thomas, Condi Rice, or Colin Powell were attacked by the media, etc.
    In Fact just about two yrs. ago Hugo Chavez called Condi Rice, a
    Monkey in one of his speeches, which sickened me, and still our new young President is bearly in office when he goes to So. America and meets with this despicable Jerk, and gets given a book, on of all things Marxism, Duh? Kinda a Fax Pas, except he
    further fans the flames of socialism, by bringing in 44plus??? Csars
    with radical beliefs, and communist ties( Like Van Jones). Then
    his Dem. Congress starts pushing, union bail-outs to GM, socialistic
    health care, and a sneaky extreme TAX on all of us called Cap &
    Trade, to mention only a few of the far, far left Agenda hes supporting, and liberals are confused by the Ranchor of the debate. PLEASE, Wake-Up and smell the COFFEE! While not many there were Blacks and people of color @ the protest, one
    came on our bus from Mo. He did not feel we were being Racist, or
    feel threatened @ anytime. He let us know that he had received more threats from other Blacks for not agreeing with Obamas policies. So my conclusion was it took even more courage by him to come and make a stand with us, against Bad Government Period.
    When it comes to Politicians, its not the color of your skin that matters, JUST the thickness, ok. Look how Sara Palin was Attacked, even her Family,as an example, it was extremely more
    VICOUS. But I heard no complaints from the Liberal press?? Hence
    the Cliche "If You Can't Take the HEAT, Get Out of the Kitchen"
    President Obama is feeling the HEAT because instead of trying to
    Stick to more middle ground, like Clinton did, stop outrageous spending, looking to Balance the budget again ASAP., he's chosen a Far left Agenda, which very few people agree with, Except the Far Left, DUH?

September 21, 2009 at 11:38 am |
  6. Robert Lake,MI

Its about time a black man refeuted these ridiculas claims! Its ordinary Americans concerned that the health care they have now wont be there in the future and these same people concerned over paying for everyone elses insurance as well! Middle class Americans know all to well that they will be the ones picking up the tab for others who either refuse to give up all the goodies in order to buy their own insurance! Every person I know that says they want public option have cell phones, car payments, house payments they cant afford, satillite tv, recreational vehicles, you name it they have it but will look you in the eye and tell you they cant afford their own insurance....hogwash! People in this country need to learn to live without especially things that keep them from buying their own health ccare! We do NOT need health refore, we need insurance and drug reform!

September 21, 2009 at 12:39 pm |
  7. Betty Phillips

It is about time that the intelligent black men speak out on racist.
    I can listen to any black person and tell if they are smart enough to figure out that Obama has caused so much racial tension in our divided country, I could sit and listen to STEELE speak all day, he knows that this racial talk is for no other reason, but to take the talk away from Obama care, Please I have not one racial bone in my body, but, I will never consider Obama my president. He has been to racial and too big of a radical from day one. I seen Obama speak and as much as there has been on the Acorn mess, Obama will still not speak the truth about that Organization. This is for all the blacks out there, there is no reason you should feel as if Obama is just for you, I did not ever hear Obama promise to treat the blacks differently. Not one time did I hear him promise the black people 40 acreas and a mule, he was elected president for all Americans. So if you are black or white, you are no better by being of your race. We were all created equal and Obama should be the first to remember that, after all I believe he is born of both races. Betty

September 21, 2009 at 1:07 pm |
  8. Tony

You can pay anyone to say anything you want. Lots of people in America would sell there own mother out for the right price. Steele is a good example.

September 22, 2009 at 3:38 am |
  9. Ruth will

Calm yourself Betty, News flash Obama is our President, regardless
    of what you think or accept. Stay focused, it is the Policies, we need
    to attack, the man not so much? I do not agree with his policies either,
    but to inject racism into the mix, is not only stupid, its dangerous. You
    are right that it only furthers to divides us as Americans. And President
    Obama is having a lot of difficulty with honesty , during the election on
    Rev. Wright , Bill Ayers, now Van Jones, Acorn, etc. Obama himself is
    destroying his own credibility bit by bit, with not nearly as much help from
    FOX news as claimed. People need only pay attention. Look to our now
    VP, Joe Biden, hes a walking seiral story teller.

September 22, 2009 at 11:24 am |
  10. Chaney McEachern

Some people don,t know what racist is obviously, To say that some of the vitriol we are hearing is not race based is just plain denial. I,ve personally heard way to many racist comments. I really believe it goes back so far and is so ingrained that people don,t recognize it as racism.

September 22, 2009 at 12:28 pm |
  11. Josh Askew

Here is the flaw in the logic. Camp A claims groups protesting against Obama are racist. Camp B claims these groups are not racist, but concerned citizens. Camp A points to racist signs present at the protest and say "there is our proof." Camp A ignores the fact that many of these race-related signs make up a small group of the signs. Furthermore, they associate the ideological signs (like calling Obama a socialist) with racial signs. There is a large difference between an ideologist and a racist. Camp B fails to openly state that some racist are present, but they make up a minority of the protesters. Camp C inflames the argument by showing only the most controversial signs on TV in the hope to generate viewer interest.

September 23, 2009 at 4:37 pm |
  12. Dr. Diogenese

"A lie will travel half way around the world before the truth has an opportunity to get its pants on". The long stanting lie, is "racism exist but it is not because of racists". I yield for a moment to the ignorance displayed by the opinions of those disingenuious writers participating in this comment forum. Thus, allowing a moment for their ignorance and self denial to pass; I highly recommend those of you who cannot come to grips with your man in the mirror that reflect your own deep seeded racist views, I understand. Racism can be blinding.

The most difficult hurdle for us mortals to overcome is to face up to the harsh realities of our own short comings and prejudices. Per that cogent fact, acknowledging that the Sea of White Tea Machers voicing their thousand words of racism via single pictures that dehumanized President Obama, now find religion in an acceptable Black Man who was the one Black Spec in the Sea of White Tea, whose boundless ignorance and self hatred facilitates your rationalizing the irrational... racist behavior under the disguise of free speach.

Jimmy Carter, was able to put his pants on and his words of truth shine like a "million points of light", bringing to center stage that indeed racism in America is directly a result of racists and many of them were in attendance at the Sea of White Tea Party, with one spec of Blackness, an ignorant, buck dancing Negroid of a speciman. Steppin Fetchit would be pround of this Jasper.

September 24, 2009 at 12:01 am |