Today on CNN Newsroom

September 20th, 2009

Ahead in the CNN Newsroom...

New Overnight: Authorities make three arrests as part of an investigation into an alleged plot to set off bombs in the United States.

In Washington state, a frantic manhunt is on for a legally insane killer who escaped from a field trip organized by a psychiatic hospital.

We'll have a preview of John King's "State of the Union" sit-down later this morning with President Barack Obama.

Social media and journalism: It's so much easier these days for everyone to get their message out, but is that a good thing?

Join us for those stories and a whole lot more in the CNN Newsroom with Betty Nguyen and TJ Holmes, beginning 6am ET/ 3am PT.

Post by:
Filed under: CNN Newsroom
  1. frankie

I am so tired of hearing Republicans say that I (being an American) have shown that I do not want the government involved in health care. I support President Obama's plans for health care reform, as a Democrat I am thankful that I was able to help vote him in as President. I haven't changed my mind. I am not turned off by government fixing our desperate and dangerous health care crisis, I would not have feared socialized medicine. I am turned off by hearing Republicans saying how they believe I think. Give me a break.

September 20, 2009 at 6:32 am |
  2. Gina, Atlanta

The segment on race recognition in small children and the statistics of 75% black families discuss it and 25% white families discuss leads to show that because of the history of race relations in our country, blacks feel that they have to PREPARE their children of what they will face in the world. Whereas white families live in a bubble and think that since THEY do not have any issues being white, no need to discuss race. Unfortunately it is a fact that has to be faced, what turns it into a negative is how our society handles the situation with the hatred and racial prejudice that carries on.

September 20, 2009 at 7:07 am |
  3. Ed Bricker

It was mentioned that the television networks were only "allowed" to promo one sound bite from the interviews with President Obama being aired today. Who limited them to only one? The White House? Is this another step towards government controlled media?

September 20, 2009 at 7:21 am |
  4. Keith Albert

TJ interviewed a man this morning (9/20) on the state of our education system. Smart man but he missed the mark. On one hand he states that our teaches are failing the students and at the same time he says children of immigrants in the same school system do much better. Is the common denominator the teachers or educational system, or is it the families? I would argue it is what is happening at home v.s. what isn't happening at home that is making the difference.

September 20, 2009 at 7:53 am |
  5. Pauly

Have seen more than one sound bite on many of the networks. All you right wingnuts see a conspiracy in everything. It's time America moves away from the fear & smear tactics of the last 8 years!!!

September 20, 2009 at 8:16 am |
  6. Gamps

It's really amazing that the media is condemning President Obama for appearing on 5 news shows this morning. They have all been promoting their shows since the interviews were taped. Any one of them could have chosen not to have him do their show.
    Every day, on every network, you have conservatives spewing lies, w/o rebuttal many times. Gone are the days when they would be called out on obvious lies on the spot. Now they are allowed to say anything & everything. Once in awhile, the media will do a short segment to check the facts but this is only after committing hours to the lies. We need more investigative journalism & less opinionated talking heads!

September 20, 2009 at 8:40 am |
  7. "BusGreg" Williams

Ed Bricker, I can understand your fears of government. It was after all Ronald Reagan who said that government is the problem.
    I couldn't agree more. Especially since every time republicans get elected THEY PROVE IT!

September 20, 2009 at 11:53 am |
  8. Randy N

I'm watching Obama's speech. Wheres the plan all I hear is it's good well what's in it? He's already said yesterday that jobs probly won't happen before next year, our economy is a wreck, this countries moral is at a low, We need to Impeach this goverment before there is nothing left of this nation. Vote Tea Vote Randy. We can fix this country a whole lot quicker than our present goverment, that want little more than money

September 21, 2009 at 12:24 pm |
  9. Ralph Spencer

They have had this guy Zazi under scrutiny for over 2 years and now all of a sudden they haul out a new conspiracy plot to scare the American public all over again right as they are trying to increase our footprint in Afghanistan. You can call it homeland security, I call it a crock of gaga.
    I am 20,000 times more likely to die from a bad healthcare system than from a terrorist. This is just a scam for more money or troops and really has nothing to do with reality. We have a shadow government pulling the strings that calls itself Homeland Security.

September 21, 2009 at 2:17 pm |
  10. DJ in Denver

This is an interesting story. I live in Aurora, Colorado. In the story that originally aired the FBI said they thought they jumped the gun and went in too soon. They dispersed most of the players in this plot and lost the ability to identify them. According to the more recent stuff they had eight back packs and were attempting to rent a twentyfive foot U-Haul. This Zazi guy admitted to being in an Alkida training facility and learning how to make bombs. The guy in New York was a limo driver. I think they might have the bomb maker and the driver but the eight people that were going to wear the backpacks are still out there somewhere. The FBI hasn't found the explosives for the backpacks or whatever was supposed to end up in that twentyfive foot truck. I just hope there aren't any biological agents involved. This sounds like one of those stories that go something like just relax untill the building comes down around your head. I hope the FBI get's a handle on these guys and the junk that they were planning to let loose on us soon.

September 21, 2009 at 8:32 pm |