Today on CNN Newsroom

September 22nd, 2009

Got Questions for Secretary Sebelius?

Heidi interviews Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius at 9:50 this morning and we want to use some of your questions during the segment. Worried about how H1N1 spreads? Questions about the the vaccine? Wondering about the regular flu shot? Not sure how to cover your mouth when you sneeze? Post your questions here and then tune in at 9 o’clock!

Filed under: Heidi Collins
  1. Mike Armstrong TX.

Heres a question .Out of 50% of the American population that is predicted to contract this H1 N1 flu what percentage of this 50% do they exspect to die and are they prepared to accomondate possible mass deaths.

September 22, 2009 at 9:04 am |
  2. Tom (TN)

In the national debate on healthcare, why is there no discussion of comprehensive tort reform despite the fact that both parties summarily agree that defensive medicine and malpractice insurance play a substantial role in the high cost of healthcare? Is it as simple as the power of the tort lobby? Or is there some rational thought behind the exclusion of these measures?

September 22, 2009 at 9:19 am |
  3. John

I remember hearing that the real fear regarding H1N1 was its potential to mutate into a more deadly strain, how do largescale vaccinations adress this concern?

September 22, 2009 at 9:21 am |
  4. JUAN LABERRIGUE

what about mandatory vaccinations, and Ron Pauls new bill, to protect us from what seems like there will be mandatory vaccinations?

September 22, 2009 at 9:25 am |
  5. David

Good morning Heidi, I have two questions for the HHS Sec. First will we be giving the H1N1 vaccine and the regular flu vaccine for years to come or will they be combined? Second, what is Sec Sebelius's read on the Health Care Reform debate as it stands at this pt? I get somewhat of a picture of how the two sides of the aisle can come together, but can she give a more detail picture of where we're going? Also, how much of a hand does she have in the current discussion?

September 22, 2009 at 9:30 am |
  6. Mellissa

What are the chances of contracting Guillain Barre, or any other issues with this vaccination?

September 22, 2009 at 9:30 am |
  7. Marie Nevard

Why have seniors (over 65) who have underlying health problems such as asthma been excluded from receiving the H1N1 flu vaccine while it is in scarce supply?

It seems that if you have an underlying medical condition at age 65 and the same condition at age 70 (such as asthma) that this policy discriminates against seniors and implies rationing toward seniors.

I have thus far been supportive of most of the president's policies, but now am not sure that the welfare of seniors is a top concern.

September 22, 2009 at 9:32 am |
  8. Zohayr Mirza

I have a 4-year old and a 10-month old – should we not make air travel plans during Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks? I hope your answer will not take into account the state of our economy and will focus solely on the sound and prudent health advice! 🙂

Thanks.

September 22, 2009 at 9:34 am |
  9. Matt Freimuth

With over 70% of our flu vaccines being made in europe, what is being done to make sure that there is no embargo. When demand rises for the vaccine, what if anything can the U.S. do to ensure its own supply.

September 22, 2009 at 9:35 am |
  10. Troy (Mo.)

What makes this vaccine different from the 1976 vaccine and how can you guarantee it will not have the same result? Will this vaccine be tested in a particular way before it is given to so many people?

Thanks,
    Troy

September 22, 2009 at 9:36 am |
  11. rim

I am 25 weeks pregnant and not sure whether the H1N1 vaccine is safe for pregnant women. I heard someone commenting that it may contain a compound derived from mercury which may cause autism for the baby. Have tests been conducted to check the safety of vaccine for pregnant women? I cannot decide whether it is safer to take the vaccine or not to.

September 22, 2009 at 9:38 am |
  12. David Joiner

The Toronto Sun reported that Baxter International had recently released a final H1N1 flu vaccine to 18 countries which was proven to be tainted with H5N1 live bird flu virus and H3N2 live human virus. The Czech Republic tested the vaccine on ferrots (which all died). After much outside pressure, Baxter had admitted this mistake. Those in the vaccine industry state it is almost impossible for this to occur accidentally, due to the high quality (Level 3) control measures in place. In the 1976 the swine flu "pandemic" more people suffered severe symptoms including Guillain Barre Syndrome and died who took the vaccine, than those affected by the virus. What assurances and evidences do we have that the new vaccines being distributed are safe?

September 22, 2009 at 9:44 am |
  13. Harri Lynne

I am 61 y/o female and have secondary progressive multiple sclerosis. Can I take the H1N1 vaccine?

September 22, 2009 at 9:46 am |
  14. Farah Khan

Can you address the concerns of Guillan Barre Syndrome with the H1N1 vaccine. Are the rates higher than with other vaccines?

September 22, 2009 at 9:52 am |
  15. Lynne Florio

I have a concern about the N1H1 vaccine. In 1976, a vaccine was made to fight a new type of bird flu . However, many people who had the vaccine developed a rare paralytic disease called Guillain-Barre syndrome. Thus, that vaccine failed to help the people. How safe is this N1H1 vaccine for people. I am a nurse and work in a Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, and have already seen what N1H1 can do to our younger, once healthy, kids. But, again, How safe is the vaccine??? I am concerned for myself, and for my chilren as well!

September 22, 2009 at 9:53 am |
  16. DIana Kwaselow

We hear about tort reform a fair deal but the discussion on educating health care professionals about cost effective health care seems largely absent. Is that something being worked on?

September 22, 2009 at 9:55 am |
  17. Paul Schaeffer

I've heard that the injection is more effective, but I can foresee many people wanting the mist-version because they dislike injections. If the injection is more effective and more available, will the government emphasize these facts in its advertisements?

September 22, 2009 at 10:25 am |
  18. Rich Rebman

Heidi, I'd like to get a reaction from CNN, not from all us dummies that expect to get the truth from the media. I guess I'd have to group the media along with governments as they say what's on the screen - an accessory to governing the news. How far up the chain are you just corrupt, before Evil Organization starts? Or does it start at the top, like Rupert Murdock?

I'd like to confirm so you don't have to be reviewed in a hurry at judgment.

I know you are a good person, just need the money for the kids.

Best Regards
    Rich Rebman

September 22, 2009 at 10:31 am |
  19. Mark S.

How would the proposed Medicare Part D "govt option" Prescription Drug Plan compete with all the private plans that all seniors are on right now which cover all their medications? (Senate Bill 330/H.R. 684)
    Wasn't there a "trigger" put in that bill and what did it say?

September 22, 2009 at 10:42 am |
  20. Greg

Why is there not more of a focus on preventative health care during the health care debate? We need to focus more on improving nutrition and increasing the amount of physical activity and exercise in people's lives, as opposed to simply reforming health care and insurance. Why is there not more of a discussion of the free tools that can help people get in shape? Why aren't you promoting government policies that can help people lose weight or lead active lives, or other sites, like Holosfitness.com?

September 22, 2009 at 11:19 am |
  21. MARILYN - FLORIDA

Why isn't the administration pointing out the absurdity of one of the major lies told by the far-right, anti-health care reform gangsters?

After 4 years without access to any type of access to health care, being completely uninsured, I've just gotten a new job that provides a HMO plan. During this past 4 years, my physician has been willing to see me when I can afford his $140 for 10 min appointments, and to continue renewing prescriptions I need to take for a lifetime.

However, the new job provides an HMO that my physician doesn't participate in. If I want HMO coverage, I must change my doctor. My personal belief is that my doc WOULD accept a government form of coverage, since he accepts Medicare and Medicaid. However, if I want to get coverage under the HMO that is now my only option, I won't be able to keep my doctor of 15 years!

Why isn't health and human services pointing out this aspect of the current insurance company dictatorship of health care in America? Why isn't it pointed out that HMO execs, not the patient & doctor, make dictatorial decisions about what care and procedures you can get, and it is often determined by the bottom line. Some are better than others, and it all can boil down to what your new employer ... since so many are unemployed and looking ... is making available.

September 23, 2009 at 9:11 am |