Today on CNN Newsroom

September 24th, 2009

The 30 Second Pitch

New unemployment numbers are out today and behind those numbers are real people trying to find a job to support themselves and their families.

Every Thursday on CNN NewsRoom with Kyra Phillips we're letting those people tell their stories and giving them a chance to connect with a potential employer.

Today in our 2pm eastern hour you met David Daves, a laid-off sales manager who put his resume on a billboard in an effort to find a job. He's supporting his family which includes two autistic daughters.

If you think you might have a job for him check out his website here.

If you want to be part of the pitch get in touch with us here or on twitter @KyraCNN.

Filed under: :30 Second Pitch • Kyra Phillips
  1. Mike Armstrong TX.

You guys are being cheepskates on the time give them a minute each.

September 24, 2009 at 1:29 pm |
  2. Philip Andreae

I would also be interested in assistance in advertising my availability and interest in being able to offer the gifts that I have.

September 24, 2009 at 2:19 pm |
  3. Justin

I can imagine being laid off, as I was laid off in Feb. of 2008... I decided to go back to graduate school to develop more skills and knowledge...

oh, and by the way, I happen to be deaf. I can tell you, being deaf and out of work, you pretty much get the short end of the stick. The only people willing to hire deaf people are government employees.. what will it take for any company to hire a deaf person? Why won't they hire us? If all things were equal, hearing people have the advantage, hence why I went to grad school.. how do I get the advantage in my favor being deaf?

I'd love to do a 30-second pitch, show people that deaf people do have the ability to be a productive employee..

p.s. I heart Kyra!

September 24, 2009 at 2:22 pm |
  4. Katy Mccray

CAN YOU PLEASE POST MY COMMENT?
    I have been unemployed since March 2009. Here are my main skills:

1. software training and consulting (over 12 years experience with Microsoft Office including
    Word, Excel spreadsheets, Access databases,
    PowerPoint presentations, web design with FrontPage and Dreamweaver, Publisher brochures, flyers, and business cards, etc.

2. A+ hardware computer training completed summer 2009
    office or secretarial
    3. dealing with all ages 4 to 80 (taught an 80 year old man to design his own website!)

3. project manager with web concerns
    4. research with web concerns
    Please email to lois@qx.net. Thank you so much.
    Katy Mccray

September 24, 2009 at 2:23 pm |
  5. Joy

All this months of slipping in and out of frustration, I thought I was the only one who has been unemployed since Nov 2008.... whew! what a relief that I am not alone. I have submitted over 300 applications and not one interview. I worked with some staffing agencies, still no interviews. I know the market is competetive but one interview would make a difference for me; i feel really rejected but i have to keep trying. The fear of loosing my unemployment insurance soon consumes me each day.
    What is more frustrating is that i am a very talented and creative individual and sitting on my abilities each day drowns me, when I know that there is a company out there that needs my skills.
    I have tried to take up college courses, but can not afford them and I am currently paying off 3 student loans.
    It is really hard and frustrating, but my advice to my kind out there is keep applying, take a day or two off to relax yourself (ease stress), pray about it and let God do the rest.

I would love to be on the 30secs. pitch; Thanks Kyra for what you do to give people like us a voice.

September 24, 2009 at 2:51 pm |
  6. David bain

How do I contact David daves ?

September 24, 2009 at 2:56 pm |
  7. Pamela-Chicago

I would love to participate in the 30 second pitch. I would also be willing to participate in any upcoming segments in which you will need unemployed individuals to provide insight about how finding a job has changed over the years. I am an out of work mgmt consultant with 11 years experience and an MBA and have been out of work for 22 months. Yes...count them 22! Kyra I noticed how shocked you seemed when the gentleman in your 30 second pitch mentioned how recruiters search your resume for buzz words before even calling you to learn more about your experience. He was absolutely right...the face of recruiting has drastically changed. Not only do recruiters search for buzz words, but recruiting at career fairs has drastically changed too. I could go on & on about some of my experiences. At first you think it's just you...but when you start going to networking events and reaching out to other unemployed colleagues in other states you notice that it's happening everywhere. The dilemma is that not only are there very few jobs...but the game of recruiting has changed too. I've noticed recruiters no longer look for how skill sets can be used in various roles...they look for "specific" skills for specific jobs. Whereas in the late 90's recruiters would call or email you and at least do a 15 minute phone screen with you to see if you are a good fit. Nowadays that doesn’t happen…you get a rejection email and that’s it. It leaves you wondering with a lot of questions. Therefore we are not only competing with 60 other people for 1 job, but we also are required to tailor our resumes for specific jobs to just get noticed by recruiters online. I have 999 versions of my resume b/c I am continuously told that I need to "tailor" my resume for specific industries and jobs. Nobody's telling this side of the difficulty in finding a job. It needs to be told so that things can change or so that people will know what they are in for if they lose their job.

September 24, 2009 at 2:56 pm |
  8. Cristine Kreplick

I am a recruiter... I'd be happy to offer career coaching and resume assistance! Cristine Ckreplick@ymail.com

September 24, 2009 at 2:57 pm |
  9. R.C.Cooper

Yes I have been unemployed since March 28,2008 and I have been searching without any positive results:

September 24, 2009 at 3:01 pm |
  10. Lillian Carilo, H.R. CO

Mr. Daves has provided you with a very disconcerting fact regarding applying for jobs online, which has become the norm in today's job market. Personally, I'm having a hard time trying to stay hopeful, but as far as my being able to do anything to provide my family with financial stability; I really don't know how. After about 15 years out of job market, I have started applying for entry level jobs, in retail mostly; applying online is disheartening because you can spend up to an hour filling out each application and never hear from companies again after their initial response saying they received your application. I've had one job interview; 2nd immediately followed with the company. It took two hours of my day, but all I received in response was a one sentence reply: Not what we're looking for at this time. I am doing some writing for pleasure, for the moment, with the hope my works get published. Regretfully, my hours spent writing doesn't bring in any income now when I really need one. ~ Lillian Carilo

September 24, 2009 at 3:07 pm |
  11. Tom

Times are tough in this economy. Job prospects are looking grim.
    Today I decided to become an affiliate on the internet. Maybe we all need to put ourselves out there. Advertise YOURSELF on the WWW
    Thanks
    Tom at ttinvestments.ws

September 24, 2009 at 4:34 pm |
  12. Laid-Off Lawyer

I was laid-off in October 2008. I worked full-time at one of the local prosecutor's offices here in New York City for six months as a pro-bono prosecutor. I hoped it would lead to a job, but then the next waive of quasi-laid-off lawyers (deferred associates) flooded the market and the government "jobs" everyone championed were snatched up by attorneys pushed out of their firms for a year, but still on salary. Why buy the cow, eh? I finally landed some temp work. For lawyers it's pretty decent pay, just that NYC expenses are higher here. Regardless of these set-backs, I decided to commit to getting out of debt in a year. Tough times call for outside-the-box thinking.

September 25, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  13. Lorraine

Many job seekers do not know how to ‘find’ jobs other than at the traditional sites such as CareerBuilder, Monster, etc. Applying for a position through a web site or job board simply adds your resume to the hundreds of others being submitted for the same job.

These days, only an innovative and aggressive approach will help ferret out jobs and get hired.

October 1, 2009 at 10:06 am |
  14. Realtor

Thank you for another great post.
    I look forward to many more entries with high quality info.
    I'm a marketer myself and your information always seems to get my business brain going!!

//www.facebook.com/CraigslistSoftwareForRealtors]Realtor Software for Craigslist

October 7, 2009 at 7:33 pm |