Today on CNN Newsroom

September 25th, 2009

The Cosby Show: 25 Years Later

The quirky, sweater wearing Dr. Huxtable, his wife and five kids were one of TV’s all-time favorite families.

Bill Cosby’s sitcom wife, Phylicia Rashad, and TV son, Malcolm-Jamal Warner, joined us live in the CNN Newsroom today. They shared some of their favorite moments with us.

Filed under: Tony Harris
  1. Cindy

My favorite moment from the Bill Cosby show was when the whole family got together in did that song for Cliff's parents anniversary. Not sure of the name, "Baby"? At any rate, Rudy was the REAL steal of the show as always in that episode.

September 24, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  2. Angel

My favorite Claire moments are when she's giving people a piece of her mind, in her own eloquent, river-of-words way–not allowing her opponent to get a word in until she is finished! Like when she blasted those old guys on the law television program.

Favorite Olivia moment was when she lip-synched "I'm a Woman," the jazzy blues song.

Fav Cosby family moment..no surprise: the family performing a classic Ray Charles piece for their grandparents' anniversary! No other show could top the Cosbys!

September 24, 2009 at 11:34 am |
  3. Dan

Hello,

I met Malcolm-Jamal Warner a few years ago, while he was shopping for shampoo with his wife. Upon recognizing him, I said hello and he could not have been nicer. Given our current celebrity culture, I was not expecting that reception. As a huge fan of his and The Cosby Show, I was really happy to discover how humble and gracious he is as a person.

Thanks

September 24, 2009 at 11:34 am |
  4. Angel

Oh! How could one forget the Theo moment when he had to sing "Justine Jusine!" to win his girlfriend back!

September 24, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  5. neil

My favorite Theo moment was the episode when Theo had Denise make him that "asymetric" Gordon Gartrell designer shirt so he could impress Justeen. Lol I'll never forget that one!

September 24, 2009 at 11:38 am |
  6. khozeima

The episode where dr huxtable is on vacation and stays at home and does nothing. Loved the way he responded when asked to do things at home

September 24, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  7. Eddie

How can anyone forget when the whole got together to celebrates Cliff's parents' 50 wedding anniversary. Absolute classic! Theo playing James Brown singing "I got the feeling". Cliff, smooth as ever playing the air guitar and Rudy's solo. I loved it. Thanks for all the memories and for giving my family something to aspire to.

September 24, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  8. Jami Rene

One of my all time favorite episodes is when Vanessa attempts to recreate an expensive designer shirt for Theo. The "it's tucked into my socks" line was hilarious. I still laugh hysterically when I see it that episode!

September 24, 2009 at 11:50 am |
  9. Keyle Glinsey

love Claire so much. she reminded me of my own mother. I love the episode when she was telling Cliff about Vanessa's attempt to get bigger breasts. She told cliff "do you know this fool was getting ready to shock her chest"? That was hilarious. Also the episode where Claire was out of town. She told Vanessa she could not attend a party and Vanessa tricked Cliff into letting her go. Claire told cliff on the phone "I told that little wench that she as not to go"! Those one liners like that were the best! Thanks for those!

September 24, 2009 at 12:10 pm |
  10. Mike Armstrong TX.

The one I liked was when Cleo desided to cook.

September 24, 2009 at 12:21 pm |
  11. Katardra Sheffield

My favorite Cosby Show moment was when Vanessa got drunk playing the alphabet game. Everytime I watch that episode I cry laughing!!!

September 24, 2009 at 12:22 pm |
  12. D.R. Scruggs

My favorite Claire Huxtable moment is when Vanessa slipped away to Baltimore to attend a concert and upon her return, Cliff and Claire turned the sofa to face the front door. That episode is classic. Thanks for the memories.

September 24, 2009 at 12:22 pm |
  13. Karen, Weeki Wachee, Fl

My favorite Theo show was when he decided that he was old enough to go out on his own and his parents rented him a room and he had to pay for all the things he got free at home. My sons were getting to that age at the time and it pointed out the cost of being on your own in a way that I could never get across to them. We watched the show as a family all the time.

September 24, 2009 at 12:29 pm |
  14. John Jeter

My favorite is when the whole family got together to celebrates Cliff’s parents’ 50 wedding anniversary. Absolute classic! Theo playing James Brown singing “I got the feeling”. Cliff, smooth as ever playing the air guitar and Rudy’s solo was fantastic. I loved it. Thanks for all the memories and for giving my family something to aspire to. yes, a role model that wasn't on drugs, killing, or just being Getto.

September 24, 2009 at 12:47 pm |
  15. Mike Armstrong TX.

All of there sitcoms were great and i ment Theo not cleo you should have ask if theres one that nobody liked but then you proubly wouldnt have any comments

September 24, 2009 at 12:50 pm |
  16. April

My favorite Cosby show moment was when the kids put on a performance of Ray Charles's "The Right Time (Night & Day)" for their parents' anniversary. Watching them lip-sing the song was sooo funny.

September 24, 2009 at 1:02 pm |
  17. Susheel

So many good Claire moments, but best is when she was on the political pundits show and took out those stodgy, old and condescending men.

(FYI – from the same episode above – My favorite Heathcliff moment was when he said 'I'm talking about LIFE' in reference to his beloved, soon-to-be-departed couch.)

Favorite Theo moment is clear: JUSTINE JUSTINE – DON'T BELIEVE WHAT YOU SEEN!

September 24, 2009 at 1:04 pm |
  18. L Westcott

My favorite episode was the anniversaty for Cliffs Parents and they were on the staircase, and Rudy was sceaming "Baby, Baby, Baby, Baby"

September 24, 2009 at 1:04 pm |
  19. John Cleveland

Tony,
    I liked the Cosby Show very much but it troubles me that it is advertised as America's Favorite Black Family. What if one of the shows with all white characters was advertised as America's Favorite White Family. How would you feel? I think you would be understandably upset.
    I just wish we could move beyond this color business.

September 24, 2009 at 1:07 pm |
  20. jay

My fav claire moment was when Claire fussed at Vanessa about sneaking off to the concert... To Baltimore to see the Wretched! Priceless! Also, when Vanessa got drunk and they made her play the drinking game. Did I just like to see Vanessa get in trouble? Lol who knows. I still love that show.

September 24, 2009 at 1:08 pm |
  21. Jason Sayles

There are so many favorites of the show, but one of mine is in "Call of the Wild" when Clair finds out Sandra isn't going to law school. "What do you mean you DECIDED not to go to law school?!"

September 24, 2009 at 1:15 pm |
  22. Roxane

My favorite theo moment is was when theo gave denise money to make him a shirt and after that he tried it on and one sleeve was bigger than the other. My clair favorite moment is when she has to get into this dress for the banquet and she goes on this diet and works out at the gym and when she gets home cliff suprises her with mexican food , even though i saw all of them i still watch it its a great show.

September 24, 2009 at 1:53 pm |
  23. Ken

I am only 21 years old, and 2 years younger than the youngest member of the Huxtable family, but the Cosby show was always a part of my life growing up.

When I was in elementary and middle school in Georgia, I always knew that a young actress named Raven-Simone (who played Olivia) went to my school, even though I never had the chance to know her.

Not only that, but the Cosby show introduced me to the amazing talent of Ray Charles. One of my first memories of the show was a repeat of the episode when the Huxtables lip-sinched to Ray Charles' hit "Night time is the right time" for Cliff's parent's wedding anniversary. Rudy and Cliff were a hit and a great on-screen team!

America needs shows of the caliber of the Cosby show. Not only did it promote strong family values, but it showed black Americans that they could strive for success in their career and their family. It also showed the rest of America that black people could and WERE successful in all professions and a member of all social classes.

September 24, 2009 at 1:58 pm |
  24. Anne

It has to be the first episode of the show, when his father tells Theo that he brought him into this world and he can take him out.

Anne
    Texas

September 24, 2009 at 3:04 pm |
  25. carolyn

One of my favorite episodes was the one in which Cockroach pierced Theo's ear!

The episode about Claire capturing the snake in the pillowcase was so funny!

Cliff describing childbirth!

All the shows were good, normal family fun–the way it should be.

September 24, 2009 at 3:49 pm |
  26. Karen

Who could ever forget the episode when Denise brought home the Jamaican boyfriend..."MI SAID HEY MON"!!!!!

Karen
    El Paso, Texas

September 24, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  27. DJ FINK

The Cosby show provided a double dose of positivity within the viewing demographic. First, for the African American audience, it gave the pride of seeing a normal family who happened to be of African American decent. Secondly it took away some of the stereotype casting that many minorities had to accept in Hollywood to get jobs on the Television and in the Movies. I applaud Bill Cosby, the writers, actors, and even NBC for taking a chance and producing a show that had such an effect on the United States population. I believe the show enabled generations of all races to elect a President Obama.

September 24, 2009 at 9:21 pm |
  28. Apryl Kay

First and foremost I would like to give an e- hug to Mrs. Rashad, and Mr. Warner, I love you guys and Thank You for being such a positive influence!....Thinking of my favorite classic moment from the Cosby show is so hard because there's so many. Hands down it would have to be the time when Theo wanted a designer shirt for school and after being turned down by dr. Huxtable Denise convinced him that she could make an exact duplicate of the shirt. I know she tried her best, but it was a hot mess...ha-larious! but kudos to Theo for giving her a chance!

September 25, 2009 at 5:02 am |
  29. Vicki

Just one of many Theo moments: the great grade conversation. Theo said 'no problem; I'll get a job like regular people'... regular people? Cliff throws Theo's logic right back in his face. I love it when he uses the Monopoly money to SHOW Theo the real challenges he will face as a 'regular' person with a 'regular' salary. THEN Theo tries to make Cliff understand his feelings... I wouldn't love you any less if you weren't a doctor. Accept me as I am, because I am your son. Cliff says "That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life. No wonder you get D's in everything... you're afraid to try... you are GOING to try as hard as you can... I said so... I brought you in this world, and I'll take you out!"

September 25, 2009 at 10:56 am |
  30. Lorna

One of my favorites is the one where Theo wants to move out of the house and get an apartment. Cliff and Claire take all his stuff out of his room and show him what it's like in the "real world" where he would have to acquire all of his stuff on his own. Claire plays a hilarious furniture store owner and Vanessa and Rudy play the part of, real estate agent and attorney (I think). It was just TOO Funny.

September 25, 2009 at 11:30 am |
  31. Jim Mallas

Have asked around trying to find out what the youngest Huxtable child's name, Rudy, is short for. It is a masculine name and I have asked numerous individuals if they know what or who Rudy was.

September 25, 2009 at 12:02 pm |
  32. Jessica Marcillo

My most memorable moment is when Claire was telling either Vanessa or Rudy (I think it was Vanessa, not sure why I cant recall which daughter) about growning up "becoming a woman" and was explaining about how at times she may actually become happy when that monthly visitor comes along. I loved the look on her daughters face. I felt that way too when I watched it, now I can understand where Claire was talking about!

I LOVED and still do LOVE The Cosby Show!!!!!!!

September 25, 2009 at 12:03 pm |
  33. Eva

I think the one where Bill tells Theo I brought you into this world and I can take you out. Cracked me up. I loved that show. But then again I love Bill Cosby anyway.

September 25, 2009 at 12:04 pm |
  34. Tony

My favorite Cosby moment was when Bill Cosby split a $1 Billion syndication deal with production company Carsy/Warner. That's right, Bill Cosby got $500 million and producers' Marcy Carcy and Tom Warner got the the other $500 million. It was the largest syndication deal in television history at the time. By the way, shortly after that, Carcy/Warner created "Rosanne", "3rd Rock From The Sun", "That 70's Show" and many other successful shows.

Tony
    Toronto, Canada

September 25, 2009 at 12:08 pm |
  35. Edward

My favorite show could not be limited to just one. My family and I (4 kids) planned accordingly to make sure we were at the TV set on that nite. But, the one with Cliff showing Theo how to budget is classic.... had to do the same thing with my son(and 3 daughters). He's 23 now.

September 25, 2009 at 12:10 pm |
  36. Paul Jr

the one where Theo lies and Cosby teaches theo a lesson.

September 25, 2009 at 12:17 pm |
  37. Sarah Foley

Oh my god, Phylicia Rashad looks just as beautiful now as she did 25 years ago. It seems she's found the fountain of youth.

September 25, 2009 at 12:35 pm |
  38. Angela Collins

One of my favorite episodes was when Cliff was surprised with a

lovely dinner and Lena Horne singing to him for his birthday and him

not wanting to leave her presence when it was over. And of course

the episode of littlle Rudy singing Ray Charles song : The Night

Time is The Right Time, It was HILARIOUS !

September 25, 2009 at 1:04 pm |
  39. btlco

Phylicia Rashad was the best sitcom MOM, after her character was replaced by another actress I did not watch the show as much due to my loyalty to the classiest mom on TV. I think that was a mistake, her chemistry with Bill Cosby was magnanimous.

September 25, 2009 at 2:00 pm |