Today on CNN Newsroom

September 25th, 2009

U.S. Terror Plots

Even though authorities say they’re unrelated, a number of alleged terror plots were uncovered this week. The timing is apparently just a coincidence. But still, it’s not every week we hear about arrests in Denver, New York, Dallas, and Springfield, Illinois.

Lots of questions for you – do you want to hear about thwarted terror plots or would you rather the government keep that information to itself? Does news like this make you feel more or less safe? Does it make you more or less vigilant?

Post your comments here.

Filed under: Heidi Collins
  1. Hawer

I thinks we should know all abou it, it doesn't mean that the goverment is not working in our security and doessn't make feel less safe, abiously we should keep vigilant.

September 25, 2009 at 8:23 am |
  2. Sher

I would definitely want to be informed about anything of importance as a terror plot. Am I scare? of course not because of my FAITH and that fact we don't control destiny, no guarantees!. There are 400.000 unemployed Americans exhausting the jobless benefits at the end of this month and yet the Senate is so fixated on healthcare reform that nothing else matters to them. S.1699 is EMERGENCY funding of 13 addl weeks of unemployment benefits and no Senator is saying when the bill will be brought to the floor for a vote. Shame on President Obama because he got "Cash for Clunkers" passed in BOTH houses in 4 days. November 2010 will be a wake-up call.

September 25, 2009 at 8:56 am |
  3. Michelle

I am not afraid of any terror plots.. it seems the goverment is giving american muslims the push to do bad things then trap them in carrying the plots out.. I really don't think these people would have done anything on their own. maybe the goverment want's us to feel safe.. but I don't feel safe with the goverment setting people up giving them bad ideas then coaking them on to do horrific acts.

September 25, 2009 at 9:15 am |
  4. Mike Armstrong TX.

This shouldnt be a surprise to anyone we was warned by the Bush administration that sleeper cells were hiding all across our country waiting for us to let our gaurd down.

September 25, 2009 at 9:15 am |
  5. Jerry Chiappetta, Jr.

YES, it makes me feel more safe! It's the unknown that's really scary. The more information I'm made aware of, the better.

September 25, 2009 at 9:15 am |
  6. mary gideon

This scares the H-double hockey sticks out of me. It makes me really doubt, even more the need for sending more troops to Afghanistan, when it appears the terror is already here. End the war in Afghanistan, bring our troops home and secure our homeland before another horrible event happens.

September 25, 2009 at 9:15 am |
  7. Carolyn

Security is a fragile thing. Of course, we should know about disrupted terror plots. Society as a whole is too complacent re: 9/11 except on each anniversary date. Never forget that this world is dangerous, and we need a vigilant stance from both citizens and our government. My hope is that politicians will not castrate our own security agencies to the point it jeopardizes our own country's security.

September 25, 2009 at 9:16 am |
  8. BigTimePapa

I feel more safe, but more worried too. I work for UPRR railroad. I do not see any security there at all!

September 25, 2009 at 9:16 am |
  9. Lois Cutler

Is there any way these home terroists to lose their citizenship (if they have it) and be shiped to where they came from?

Lois

September 25, 2009 at 9:16 am |
  10. kerry

of course we should all be aware of what the terrorists are trying to do in our country.as americans, we should report any suspicious activities by anyone...we also need to realize that we are targets of terrorists and may be targets for a long time.

September 25, 2009 at 9:17 am |
  11. mary gideon

I want to hear it as soon as it is known. I would rather be warned if at all possible. We all have the right to know the if and when an eminent attack can occur.

September 25, 2009 at 9:18 am |
  12. johnny

of course this makes me nervous, but nostrodomus said this was going to happen so its going to be what it's going to be

September 25, 2009 at 9:18 am |
  13. Kevin in Illinois

Heidi. While Americans are being distracted by domestic issues and groups of Americans disrespecting our President and our Nation, this is a harsh reminder that there are crazy people around the world and our shores that wish to harm us. All Americans need to come together as one people, support our President and troops. We must have resolve in Afghanistan to defeat Al Qaeda, our Agencies must continue to have the resources to protect us and we all need to become more vigilant in our communities. We must have No Tolerance for Terrorism and extremism.

September 25, 2009 at 9:19 am |
  14. M B

Wow. Several terror plots in one week. The FBI haven't uncovered any direct threats in years but all of a sudden, several? Come on, putting people in jail for a while to make it look like the billions spent on Homeland Security is not wasted is illegal and morally unethical.

September 25, 2009 at 9:20 am |
  15. james L

More SAFE and yes, we want to hear about it. WE need to hear the positive, forward moving, great news that we are winning against terrorism. We ALL need to work together to win.
    Terrorism in the "middle east" sense, has been around for thousands of years and was started and is run by MALE dominated governments and societies. Again, they are run by MALE dominated governments who abuse everyone....emotionally, mentally, energetically, verbally, physically. They try and be fountains of hate, anger and jealousy...and they think that is the only way to win war and go through life.
    They've been trying this way of life forever..holding on to philosophies and intellegence of past......cause they don't want to let go of hurt, pain, the past..when time was better for them as a society. They brainnwash their young men to hate and be jealous and angry, and brainwash their women to be submissive. They are MALE dominated societies who think they know the energy of the world and ways of domination, but they look like the hateful clowns of the world. They are not fooling anyone and we will stop..or take them out of the past. Male anger of jealousy and fear and hate....is just chilhood anger and trauma let grow out of control. education their young...and generations to come.

yes, we wan to know, everything.

September 25, 2009 at 9:22 am |
  16. Drew

I think its good to know but I think the news media is giving too much information about how it happened.
    Reports about the plots good.
    Detail of how the FBI did it not good.

September 25, 2009 at 9:22 am |
  17. peter

absolutly!! we cant go through life with out heads in the sand. Its time this nation and its people, start dealing with all threats, foreign or domestic. We need tougher laws, and let our police and other organizations use deadly force when deemed necessary. Enough baby sitting criminals and terrorists!

September 25, 2009 at 9:22 am |
  18. Timothy Lerch

Knowledge is power. Information is freedom from fear of the unknown.
    Suppression of information weakens Americans and weakens our county.

September 25, 2009 at 9:23 am |
  19. Alisa

While these terror plots are very disturbing & concerns me greatly, it definitely will make me more vigilant in my surroundings. I believe that it is important that the government & the media make this information available to the community because while we may not really want to know, we now know which will automatically make us vigilant. A million eye's & ears being watchdog's are better than just the fed's alone.

September 25, 2009 at 9:25 am |
  20. Jonn

I am sure the Homeland Security under Pres. Bush saved us from many such acts of terrorism but, they were rarely reported on. I think it gave us a false sense of security and a sense that the Bush administration wasn't doing much to protect us.

It's a catch 22. It's good to know what our government is doing to keep us safe, but if we knew everything that they did, their efforts would be more easily thwarted and we might feel less secure.

CNN....just focus on reporting the truth. We are tired of the media being selective in their reporting and reporting on what makes their own political persuasion look best. I now have to get my news from multiple media outlets just to make sure I can find the truth somewhere in the middle.

September 25, 2009 at 9:27 am |
  21. braxton brosam

I dont really feel all that safe. I am glad that the goverment is taking more action to prevent terrorism in the United States though. I will say that they are doing a terrific job. But the only thing that probably irritates me the most is that the punishment that these people will get will not be severe enough. The government will throw them in prison for the rest of there life, give them three meals a day, a place to rest there head, and the american tax payers will have to pay for them to be locked up. If they want to kill a bunch of people, then i think the only logical punishment is death. This country has gotten so soft and is so worried about peoples rights and what they think, that you can commit any crime and only get a slap on the wrist. If this would of happened 200 years ago, you would of been hung or had your head cut off. Oh how things were so much better in the good ol' days.

September 25, 2009 at 9:29 am |
  22. Nazar

I'm a Muslim from the middle east, it does make me feel safer knowing that security agencies are vigilant. However it also frustrates me that some so called "Muslims" would conspire to randomly kill innocent civilians in the name of Islam. what they believe in is different than the Islam I and most Muslims around the World believe in.

September 25, 2009 at 9:29 am |
  23. DJ in Denver

I think what really strikes me about the terror plot out of Denver is how close to home this is. The Warehouse that Zazi bought these chemicals from, used to be a roller skating ring that I went to every week as a child. They showed the building on local news here last night. I am aware of the number of dangerous people around us all the time. I am happy to see our government at work having success in foiling these nasty little plots. I was also mildly amused over the crowd control in Pittsburgh. Nice to know the police are armed with rubber bullets and bean bags. This is probably a good week to fake swine flu and stay home because of all the internationals here mixing up peoples feelings.

September 25, 2009 at 9:32 am |
  24. Nancy Millelr Saunders

Heidi, this spate of terrorist charges reminds me of the Nixon conspiracy trials. You reported on one this morning in which a reporter said that the suspect had the "mind set" to blow up a federal building but not the "mind", which was supplied by an undercover FBI operative. This brings back memories of the Camden 29, who destroyed draft records but were acquitted when the FBI operative, Robert Hardy, testified for the defense that the defendants could not have committed the crime without his and the FBI's assistance.
    At the University of Arkansas an FBI informer, Bill Lemmer, set up a group of young men to harvest hemp, thinking it was marijuana, a deed they could

Zazi the younger being interrogated by the for 3 days brings back memories of people like Leslie Bacon (whose arrest and grand jury interrogations by prosecutor Guy Goodwin are well documented) and Alton Foss (who was framed on drug charges and denied needed surgery to force him to talk to the FBI and then given a false "confession" to sign in an effort to convict the Gainesville 8; but whose dilemma is not well known or documented).

September 25, 2009 at 9:33 am |
  25. jabba

Dear Ms. Collins:

Please continue to publish all information that involves any serious threats to our nation's security. True facts will enable our citizens to make an informed evaluation of any danger.

It is true that there exists today various autonomous religion-driven individuals and groups of zealots who are 100% dedicated to killing innocent, helpless men, women and children, including humans of all beliefs or non-beliefs.

However, if recent revelations of terrorist activities in the U.S. are accurate, most of these idiots are today's version of the Keystone Cops. Most of these losers are taking direct orders from some imaginary super being in space who is reading their minds. Most of these delusional psychopaths can hardly read. They're some of the least creative sycophants one can find on the bottom of any barrel of slime.

Our security people world wide are apparently doing a good job. I believe we can all help flush out these traitors and Devils and send them back to the Hell Fire they all will face when their worthless lives are taken if we all remain informed and vigilant.

Respectfully submitted by Jabba

September 25, 2009 at 9:35 am |
  26. Jonathan

We MUST have free access to ALL information; knowledge is power. Let’s be unbiased in coverage of foiled terror plots. I couldn't help but notice one correlating theme with all of these cases, their religion.
    I am hard pressed to think that only Muslims are planning and scheming towards a destructive end to the United States by attacking its intrastructures. Does a name like Timothy McVey(?) jar any bells? Purely secular motivation. More, I don’t recall hearing condemnation by way of association to the religion for all the Christian activist groups that threaten the lives of employees of and even bomb abortion clinics across the country.

September 25, 2009 at 9:35 am |
  27. swedishhighball

I definately would like to hear about terrorist plots. While we are on the subject lets consider this; suppose one of these terrorist's were caught with a live bomb but would not divulge where the detonator was or if there were others? Would we sit him down, offer him coffee and donuts and ask him politely to tell us all about all of his activities?

Our law enforcement is now handicapped by not being able to forcefully extract information from a terrorist. A Spanish saying says, " a cat with gloves on cannot catch mice."

I am suprised that they were caught at all.

September 25, 2009 at 9:37 am |
  28. john e morgan

Heidi,I think we can no longer ignore thr threat to the US from the gihadist Muslims of Afgistan and other countries. Atthis very time there are 4 atempts to blow up buildings in the US.Ithink americans are forgetting what it felt the day after 9/11.we have to make peace with muslim world and put a stop to this madnrss. JM

September 25, 2009 at 9:38 am |
  29. Dennis Coburn

Just saw the stories about the "thwarted" terrorist plots, in Texas, Illinois, Denver, etc. Certainly glad to know that the authorities are monitoring the situation carefully, but wondering how far they will go to facilitate the plans of the demented, angry, and politically insane, members of the population. Given enough free fake explosives, I would hate to think how many members of this society would try to blow someone else up! As a liberal, as an artist, as a poet, as a believer in world peace, and equality for all individuals, I can only imagine how may vans full of explosives would be parked in front of my house by conservative crazies,bigots, and racists who hate anyone with a different view of the world, and would love to see me and my liberal cohorts blown off the planet. Thankfully most of these idiots can't pull an actual plot together, without the governments help.
    One wonders if you can now be arrested for your insane intentions.
    My advice is, don't go to north Georgia and ask any questions, unless you brought a lot of warrants with you.

September 25, 2009 at 9:43 am |
  30. jabba

Dear Ms. Collins:

Please continue to inform us of all serious terror threats, especially those targeted for domestic implementation. Knowledge is power. Our adversaries within this nation will be crushed if all responsible residents help to protect our innocents.

The several reports of recent terrorist activities are revealing in that it is obvious that most of the benighted souls who would die and slaughter innocents for their imaginary cause are some of the dumbest, least educated, and least creative losers in this country. Hopefully, that is the best these fundamentalist sycophants can throw at us.

With moderation,

Jabba

September 25, 2009 at 9:52 am |
  31. Yvonne

It does not make me to feel safer but makes me feel informed. Also I feel so greatfull for the undercover agents whose job is hard to imagine for us-simple folks yet is really good to know they are among us.

September 25, 2009 at 9:54 am |
  32. jabba

I agree with Mr. Colburn.

September 25, 2009 at 9:56 am |
  33. Josh Mcgiffen

To be honest i would much rather hear about these "thwarted" terror attacks than have the government not try to keep it under tabs. Although most of these attacks wouldnt occur if it weren't so easy for immigrants to migrate or enter our country. To answer the other question, i do feel vigilant towards those people who plan to commit terror attacks. Most of them should be grateful that they even get the chance live in this beautiful country and share in the riches of what it has to offer. So for them to go and commit these hanus terror plots or even attempt to commit them is beyond phathom to me.

September 25, 2009 at 9:57 am |
  34. Sharon,Daniel Island, South Carolina

i wish we could use this system to find my sons stolen Honda Accord in North Charleston South Carolina

September 25, 2009 at 10:03 am |
  35. Al S.

I think these terror plots should be reported. I feel safer knowing our government is actually doing its job..

September 25, 2009 at 10:06 am |
  36. Michelle

LOLOLOL on the stolen honda accord..

September 25, 2009 at 10:07 am |
  37. Greg in Houston

Heidi, yes we as Americans need to continue to hear about these plots. We must be reminded that while we are a nation of religious freedom we must remain vigilent again religious extremism...no matter what it's source. People in this nation need to remember that your religious rights end when they violate my civil rights.

September 25, 2009 at 10:07 am |
  38. Michael Poore

Heidi,
    We, as a country, are big boys and girls and have a RIGHT TO KNOW what is happening on our lands. So, yes we should be informed of terror attacts that are thwarted! If nothing else it shows the American Public that our government IS on top of this. I am very impressed that authorities have successfully stopped these recent attempts. Thank you, Michael Fasani Poore

September 25, 2009 at 10:08 am |
  39. Matthew Reid

President Bush was railed and laughed at time and time again for his policies to protect the American people. He was also criticized for his on going assessment of terrorist plots and ambitions to strike in our homeland. Now this current administration is doing everything it can to obstruct our defensive safeguards. Hopefully our CIA folks have not "slowed their roll" since this administration deems them all criminals and in need of being investigated.

September 25, 2009 at 10:08 am |
  40. Nick

I would much rather be kept in the dark about these terror plots. Ignorance is a blessing, and the American people would be better off if we had less exposure to news. CNN, I understand you have a job to inform the public, but could we keep it to Britney Spears, Patrick Swayze, and Michael Jackson?

September 25, 2009 at 10:09 am |
  41. Bijay

Aggressive program has to be launched against the extreme outfits into various remote part of the US where inteligence agencies have low command because it may be breeding ground.
    Also I think inteligence agencies should not be overwelmed by the case in hand but shoud also be more vigilent for the any upcoming dangers.
    I would like to thank the intelligence agencies for their proactive movement.

September 25, 2009 at 10:09 am |
  42. Julia

It is scary, although not surprising, that so many plots have been uncovered. It is also a relief that authorities are on top of them. I understand that the 19yr old was here illegally. Go figure?

September 25, 2009 at 10:09 am |
  43. leftyd

If these terrorist are bent on blowing up innocent people, and I assume their families don't know what they are up to, when they are caught, they should put the terrorist in a field with their own family and blow them up. Maybe the terrorist don't care about others families, but maybe they care about their own ??

September 25, 2009 at 10:10 am |
  44. Ryan

It is a good thing that the FBI and DHS make these investigations and arrests public, otherwise news outlets such as CNN would not report that there is any terror related threats or related issues in the United States whatsoever. I believe without making these cases public, the Media would focus on other politicized, left leaning, social issues instead of the most important issue... keeping Americans safe at home!

September 25, 2009 at 10:10 am |
  45. Jon Petoskey

It is appropriate to know that our security forces are working and having some effect.
    In light of the fact that we have "declared war on terrorism", these individuals should be treated as enemy agents of espionage and terrorism and executed swiftly.
    There is no question that if our agents had not discovered these efforts, these individuals would continue their efforts until they succeeded on some level.
    I do not think we should over-do the media attention and thereby glamorize these individuals or their endeavors. Simply report the facts and let it alone until other significant facts are available to report.
    It would seem that the "15 minutes of fame" for these sorts of individuals becomes hours of monotonous rehashing of very little information.

September 25, 2009 at 10:10 am |
  46. Lisa

It don't know what to think. Before 9/11, terror plots were unheard of. Now you hear so many of them intercepted by the F.B.I., it just makes me wonder if some innocent person won't end up going to jail because the F.B.I. needs to prove to the American public that something is being done.

September 25, 2009 at 10:10 am |
  47. Kia

There was a time when I think most of America did not want to hear of Terrorism or Terrorism plits on our soil. But I feel that is is important for us to hear about it on every level. It is not something that seems to be going away and we all need to be vigilant. Our concerns shouldn't be what someone is wearing or what happened on the VMA's- our focus needs to be on the real world. We need to wake up and spend a little more time in reality and take responsibility. Ignorance ISN'T always bliss.

September 25, 2009 at 10:11 am |
  48. Gregg H

I think it is good to know about these attempts. It shows that we have our own terrorist to worry about in addition to the Islamic ones. This also proves that good police work is much more effective than large military actions. Bring the troops home and use some of the savings to close the borders and beef us internal security. Then take care of the middle class with medical care and jobs.

September 25, 2009 at 10:11 am |
  49. Steve

The fact that there are a few bad eggs out there looking to express themselves through violence doesn't shock me, and I very much like to hear about their thwarted attempts. It certainly helps me believe that our anti-terror organization is out there on our behalf, which of course makes us all feel more secure.

There is however, a negative phenomenon that can occur when watching the news, that leads people to believe that this is 'all around us', or 'happening everywhere', when in fact it's a few isolated, albeit dangerous, cases. This phenomenon can leave us feeling stressed and fearful beyond necessity.

As for remaining 'vigilant', the only practical application of doing so would be if any of us saw someone doing something 'suspicious', but I'm more afraid of a society out there looking to catch terrorists than I am of terrorists. That reeks of the Red-scare of the 50's. How many actual communists did Joe McCarthy actually round up vs. lives falsely ruined? We must be as vigilant against this possibility as we are against terrorism.

September 25, 2009 at 10:12 am |
  50. steven

All these terrorist should be given the death penalty, don't put them in jail, we don't need them in jail. Why spend money on these criminals. The U.S needs to send a strong message that it will not tolerate scum trying to harm the citizens of thes country.

September 25, 2009 at 10:15 am |
  51. Mike Armstrong TX.

I feel not as safe with the democrats in charge there more interested in human rights then they are American safety.

September 25, 2009 at 10:15 am |
  52. Matthew Reid

Mike Armstrong TX – You nailed the head on that one. Amen brother.

September 25, 2009 at 10:17 am |
  53. freedom to america

I would only want to hear about attacks if they are true. Most of them are scare tactics to put fear in people and to slowy take away our freedom.

September 25, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  54. Al

News of terror plots do not necessarily make me feel more or less safe. The news outlets revealing the FBI techniques used to capture these people certainly makes me feel much less safe, now that anyone else inclined to conduct terrorist acts will be more vigilant. How much responsibility will news outlets accept after the next attack, after making it more difficult for the authorities to catch these people.

September 25, 2009 at 10:22 am |
  55. Muhammad

I am an American Muslim who feels safer knowing that my gov't is able to protect the American people from such plots. I do worry about the methods used as it seems in some of these plots the govt is finding people who are predesposed to the edge..and giving them a little nudge over it. I think Muslims have to work within our midst to dispell the idea that we tolerate this and we have to educate muslims to know better.

September 25, 2009 at 10:33 am |
  56. robyncaffrey keyser west virginia 26726

att : heidi ,
    you were asking erlyer if terror attacks should be a supprise or ( maybe ) we wouldnt want to hear about it,

( well ) i think with all the clamping down ' on everything in this nation now . we all could feel " safer "

i know as it stands now ,we know how we can deal with any weather'

and there was alot of crimes ( helped ) solved , with the police

( also " the police cant hide behind there way's anymore.

now" we dont ' have to be afraid to fly on air planes" anymore.

we can always be aware of the runnaway fires, and ( look ) at that flood in georga ' from just the rain.

with the way cnn is now, you cant get away with anything.

( look ) at all what the googleing can detect now,

( look ) at all what the technolligy can find now .
    ( and not to mention ) the republicans can all eat dust now "

not to mention ( look ) how evereybody is seeing obama now

yes " evrything , and everyone is so much better off now.

September 25, 2009 at 10:34 am |
  57. Anas

Wow, some of these comments make me lose hope in humanity.
    On another notion, how stupid was that Jordanian 19 y-o kid/terrorist-to-be was to rave about attacking the U.S. while he's in the U.S. illegally.

September 25, 2009 at 10:34 am |
  58. PIGGY

Dont Really care FBI are giving them the weapons and giving them their plots...if you look at all the evidence from the last 5 people/ groups that were caught.

September 25, 2009 at 10:35 am |
  59. David Macri

I think these people should be made examples, forget the court procedures and any rights. Anyone wanting to blow up buildings and killing innocent American people should be put down right away. This is starting to get a little scary. I commend the work of the FBI and all the counter terrorist agents on foiling these killers plans.

September 25, 2009 at 10:36 am |
  60. Heather

Yes I think the public should know about the terrorist attacks or any thing of the sort. It's better to know than to live in fear of what is going to happen. It's better to know than to live walking on egg shells.

September 25, 2009 at 10:36 am |
  61. Vashti

I think it is a very good thing that CNN is not afraid to report potential terrorist attacks in the United States. By sticking your neck out for the United States citizens shows that you really do care for the public. By such reports, the people are aware and know what to look for. Thank you!

September 25, 2009 at 10:36 am |
  62. Jeff S

I am not too fussed either way. However, if I had to choose between more info or less, I would prefer more. I would rather be informed than ignorant.

September 25, 2009 at 10:36 am |
  63. Kent

Yes, i like to be very informed at all times of this terror mess, I live in Alexandria VA and I'm always cautious to know whats arounding me. Lots of terrorists out here and prolly throughout the USA. Wathing CNN yesterday a correspondent said that this was just the tip of the iceberg, I figured that, lol...Great intellingence job USA, Let's Goooooo!!! KB

September 25, 2009 at 10:38 am |
  64. False-Flag Aware

yes. its great to know when Governement agencies poses as Al-Qaeda, encourages people to commit terror attacks, supplies them with fake weapons, and then arrests them on crimes they never committed.

This is totally ridiculous. We're just lucky the bombs where fake.

Any news on the where abouts of Osama Bin Laden? You'd think the Greatest Nation in the World would have some information on the Most Wanted Man in the World by now...

September 25, 2009 at 10:38 am |
  65. Cecily Bowers

As an American dependent who was in West Germany in the early 80's while our housing areas were being fire bombed and pipe bombs were found on our facilities I had little or no access the news of current and active terrorist threats. I would rather have the choice of having information reported. The unknown was dangerous.

September 25, 2009 at 10:39 am |
  66. Glenis

Dear Heidi,
    It is very important that the public knows of these potential plots so that we all can be aware if we see someone buying large quantities of chemicals used in bomb making. We all live in target areas. I live in Houston, which has half of the US oil reserves and manufacturing of chemicals. A prime target.

September 25, 2009 at 10:39 am |
  67. Michael DeMers

Quite simply, forewarned is forearmed. Moreover, it makes me feel safer knowing that our government personnel are doing something to protect us. Hearing nothing gives us a false sense of security.

September 25, 2009 at 10:39 am |
  68. Gerhard A. Fuerst

To inform people what is currently happening is one thing, however, also revealing details such as chemicals used to actually or potentially manufacture explosive devices is the height of idiocy and irresponsibility on the part of any media, CNN included!

September 25, 2009 at 10:40 am |
  69. Phil Weingrow

Broadcasting information in an ongoing investigation risks that investigation and makes us all less safe. It also compromises the rights of a defendant, remember Richard Jewel?
    Showing an arrested suspect walking through some aisles with a shopping cart makes an everyday activity look suspect when CNN spotlights those activities.
    I am all for televising the trial, but keeping investigation information private so that the process can continue without the media becoming part of the story. (Remember Geraldo showing us all American troop movements?)

September 25, 2009 at 10:40 am |
  70. rasta man

you people should stop giving these uncivilized people whom seek destruction on this lovely country so much publicity. The only publicty cnn should give these people is when they are being marched in to prison after they are senteced to life in prison which will make the other fanatics see where they will be heading if they plot against america

September 25, 2009 at 10:42 am |
  71. elaine

I like knowing exactly what is going on, the way cnn reports. I don't like the opinions of the reporter about the story added to influence my thought process of the story. I am curious about these people being arrested, some of them look like Americans, are they?

September 25, 2009 at 10:43 am |
  72. Daniel

Hi Heidi,
    Hi Heidi
    The story about the 19 year old "alleged" Jordanian trying to blow up a skyscraper caught my eye. It’s important to note that this boy is most likely a Palestinian and not a Jordanian. As you know, Jordan issued “Jordanian” passports to many of the Palestinian refugees to facilitate travel. It’s disturbing to me that a “Jordanian” is being reported as “terrorist.” Jordanians are peaceful people and in general have no enemies. Blowing up a skyscraper or committing any unlawful action in the US serves no purpose other than distorting the image of other Jordanians and Jordanian Americans living peacefully and lawfully in the US.

Could you please clarify that this gentleman is actually a Palestinian with a Jordanian passport?

September 25, 2009 at 10:43 am |
  73. Evelyn

100% agree with Al that revealing the technique is a very stupid thing; it puts the enemy on "high alert" and makes it much harder to catch them. I also think putting in on the news period is very stupid as it gives the enemy too much information. What are they thinking?
    Also, my mother always said " You can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar" – i.e., we need to get troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan, stop bombing them, and send over food aid and building materials marked "Gift of the people of USA or Canada" (I am Canadian). Sounds simple, but then the military-industrial complex that thrives from war and dropping bombs has no place to get rid of their munitions so they can produce more. I don't think they can make money sending over food and building supplies.... unfortunately.

September 25, 2009 at 10:43 am |
  74. David

no interpersonal communication in 3 years but a lot of dow jones fun any comments or response on that?

September 25, 2009 at 10:44 am |
  75. sherry

The news on terror attacks doesn't mak eme feel any more safer then hearing that we are takeing drugs and gangs off the streets. The government and security can't seem to keep terrorists off the streets anymore then drugs and gangs. Terrorist have been here a long time and seems they are going to be staying. Is it going to take another 9-11 before the government sees this. We are buisy sendng our troops over seas to protect other countries, why? We can't even seem to protect our own people. We hear all the time about terrorists doing this and doing that in America. It has become so montonous that quit honestly I personally am tired of hearing about it. When it is broadcasted all across America that there was yet another averted terrorist attempt all it is cause for is to start another mass fear of America being attacked. We are going to forever have terrorists plots.It's not just Al queda. We have terrorists here on our own streets, our playgrounds, street corners and our neighborhoods. It has become so common to hear of terrorists, many people are not even bothered with it. We caught these terrorists before anything could happen. So in my oppinion, the Government should keep things like this to themself. Unless there is a definant and imminent threat to America itself, there is no cause to alarm the American people. The Government is causeing nothing but mass fear amongst the American people.........

September 25, 2009 at 10:46 am |
  76. S

I live in colorado and I'm not feeling very good about this terror information that is out. This person and others have all of americans dream a job, etc. and look at what he is doing with it. Using it to destroy america. There are people that is american citzens who is just looking for jobs, dream of being able to provide for there families and can't because of something on there record. And the United States has given this person excess to the american dream without any question.

This person and others has put on a face and america brought into it. I know security is very information and I'm all for it but as I look around in airports, restaurants, etc. I would feel safer with a person that has done there time and learned a lesson and wants to move on in life and not have there past keeping them down in order to get a job and providing for there family. This guy worked at the AIRPORT. He got security clearance and all. When he became a citzen could we get information from his country on him? Was we depending on our security information? So, do the United States think he just came up with this idea lately?....But if the United States has no information he was okay. Once again America was blinded sided. Give american people a chance ...................

September 25, 2009 at 10:49 am |
  77. Ron Diaco sr.

Heidi, this news of terror in this country sickens me but does not alarm me! I can handle it but others would be frightened to death. I don't think it should be mentioned on the air. Ron D

September 25, 2009 at 10:49 am |
  78. RJ

I am glad the government is making efforts to stay ahead of the folks that are attempting to cause harm to our lives. 911 shook our nation to the core after the realization was made that our could have prevented it. This heightened level of attention is definitely needed. I am curious as to whether the media is providing fair coverage for ALL possible threats though. I am not sure if everyone realizes the true threat that comes with having the Mexican mafia group, Los Zetas, have their way with goverment officials from both sides of the US-Mexican borders. They are causing terror on both sides. So much that they will eventually make it to a priority level that Afphanistan has at the moment.

September 25, 2009 at 10:50 am |
  79. Ozzie from San Antonio

We have always been a trusting nation. We have always trusted each other. For example, ordering merchandise over the phone, giving our credit card number to the seller, giving information to requestor, etc. But now, we have to be careful who we give this information to. In the same token, we have always trusted people in not hurting us. Now, we have to be careful of terror plots. We, U.S citizens, just want to carry on with our lives the way we used to and now we really can't.
    Ozzie

September 25, 2009 at 10:53 am |
  80. Julia Renfro

Media Responsibility equals less transparency on the tactics of the FBI in the name of national security. There is a fine line between reporting news and telling potential terrorists what to be suspicious of.
    CNN crossed the line.

September 25, 2009 at 10:54 am |
  81. Abdul Hassan

Heidi, i am skeptical about these allege terror plots. The FBI is directly involved in both cases.Its seams like a Set-up operation. By setting up these phony operations, they (FBI) are indirectly pointing out our National security Vulnerability to those that hate and want to destroy the U.S... When they(terrorists) decide to do Us harm, they may not make the same mistakes as these Phone operatives did..Therefore these phony FBI operations are detrimental and should remain in the dark.

September 25, 2009 at 11:01 am |
  82. Joe L

As someone who lives in Dallas, it was shocking but not too surprising. Dallas is a very large city and typically very dangerous on any day. Because of it's size and population it's not very difficult for the criminal element to fly under the radar here.

I thinks it's prudent for all of us not to be complacent and bringing this to our attention should only heighten our awareness. The fact that the people in Fountain Place were not warned by the FBI, was also prudent as not to create unnecessary panic. We got the guy before he murder innocent people and that's all that really matters.

It's comforting to know, we are being protected as much as possible and this just served to remind me what a dangerous world we live in today.

September 25, 2009 at 11:02 am |
  83. Ingrid Robertshaw

Dear Heidi,
    I have not heard any information HOW these Afghans and the Jordanian entered the US .Under what rules/circumstances were they admitted ? After 9/11 we , lawful travelers are being scrutinized ,inspected, (and we better have everything in order) and these people slip in here : just like that. I am infuriated!!! Where were the bells and whistles when these people entered the US??!!Never mind Mexicans coming in illegially and working to better their lives!
    Please address this in one of your segments on this issues.
    Thank you. Sincerely, Ingrid Robertshaw

September 25, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  84. False-Flag Aware

We need to know everything. We can't blindly trust anyone.

I don't want to see anyone get blown up, but the FBI set this whole thing up. It is dangerous that someone could be convinced to commit atrocities, but why set it up for him and convince him to do it?

They should be focusing on REAL bomb threats, from organizations outside their own, and as for the people who are mentally unstable, they should not be convinced to commit terror, and then imprisoned. I'm someone is unhappy and unstable, they should be supported emotionally, to renew their faith in humanity.

I feel bad for the suspects. What they "would have" done is awful, but what terrible feelings drives a person to that point?

I cannot ever believe that people on the other side of the fence can be innately evil, and that we are always righteous. I don't think we should be cracking down on them, we should be reaching out to them in Love. How can we not let them have nuclear energy, if we have nuclear bombs? Its simply hypocritical. That is not promotion for them to gain nuclear abilities, it is cause for us to get rid of our nuclear weapons, and maybe they won't be such a cornered, beaten dog.

Maybe I sound weak and naive. But, I don't think you can ever win anything by force. You cannot be vulnerable, but, in the long run, you will never impose your will on anything by force.

Remove the Mask of Power and Greed on our side. See the hidden Agenda. You can't hug your children with Nuclear Arms!

September 25, 2009 at 12:38 pm |
  85. Mike Armstrong TX.

Just all of you out there remember this fact these people were discoverd on the Bush watch not the Obama watch the FBI has been watching these people for over a year so do we really need to hamer the CIA.

September 25, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  86. Allyn

History is Repeating itself. Although, I dont condone any forms of terror.
    We need to come to terms and understanding why this is happening?
    As not too long ago, we too once where lable as terrorism when we fought with England.
    WAKE UP AMERICA.
    Stop!..all this greed and selfishness.
    Or we might be looking at another Revolution not too far away!

September 25, 2009 at 1:53 pm |
  87. Allyn

Terrorism? Who needs Terrorism?.
    America will soon sercome to its own down fall with our corrupt politcians looking to make a fast buck in Washington.
    It's all about "GREED" and who can make their pockets full of $$$$ Before leaving office to work for their bosses, Corprate America.
    Terrorism. Who needs to be afraid of them when we as Americans are more afraid of our own goverment.
    Sad but true!

September 25, 2009 at 2:10 pm |
  88. Mike Armstrong TX.

[ ALYN ] you should agree with this one the root to all this evel is two diffearnt interpatations of the bible and koran one says we should love our fellow men and thow shalt not kill and the other is kill in the name of alah and live in his kingdom which one of these to you sounds like a loving God.

September 25, 2009 at 2:23 pm |
  89. David

dow jones game, I need a personal reply, this is three years of time, you can explain the dow jones time wasting humilation laughter and degradation endless cheating ploy that everyone knows about, dow jones, dow jones, everyday, completely unfair and a big joke

September 25, 2009 at 3:04 pm |
  90. Michael Reynolds

I don't care one way or the other, If Joe Shmo lives next door to me and he buys an unusual amount of chemicals that might be used as an explosive, how would I ever know this? Am I, as a good American supposed to spy on my neighbors? Maybe go through their garbage, I mean If I'm going to be more informed about terrorist plots should I only rely on news coverage to be informed?
    I think all this just breeds paranoia in this country.

September 26, 2009 at 8:45 am |
  91. Debbie

I live in Wisconsin, and to have terrorists in my back yard of Illinois is very frightening....but the fact that he has been under watch for 2 years is reassuring that our country is on top of things. That being said,
    I need to comment on a report on CNN. In a piece this morning there was a guest on who was discussing the different places of arrests for these possible attacks, and the individuals who tried to carry them out. The interviewie referred to the man arrested in Springfield Illinois, as an Anglo Saxon........ I'm sorry?.... was this an attempt to start another race issue...does this man know what he is talking about, referring to him as an Anglo Saxon.....I really think the man doing the interview should have called him out on that reference. This is America not Europe and most definitely not the 5th century from which this term is coined. I really think in this sensitive time in our country , when race has been in the forefront of so many of our dealings regaurding president Obama, that this term should not have been allowed to just pass by. I feel it was that mans intention to belittle the white American race by calling him an "Anglo Saxon." I understand completely the severity of what this terrorist tried to do and I hope he is charged and convicted to the fullest extent of the law. But I am very frustrated and believe that this was this mans springboard to spout off a racial profile, which is not correct!

September 26, 2009 at 12:48 pm |
  92. Warren Cook

Leave him alone...He has more than served his time by having to live with the French all these years.

September 28, 2009 at 10:47 am |
  93. Herb Smith

Hell yes, he should be prosecuted. To do nothing sends the wrong message that the rich and famous who have the resources to abscond and evade justice are above the law.

September 28, 2009 at 10:53 am |
  94. Cathy from MN

Absolutely he needs to go through the same legal process for a crime committed in the U.S. The statute of limitations has not run out, so he needs to be charged and extradited for this crime. Why should he be treated any differently?

September 28, 2009 at 11:10 am |
  95. Chris

While Obama either talks about terror or simply ignores it, our enemies are planning -- these latest incidents are tests. Do you really believe that the recently discovered nuclear site in Iran is the ONLY ONE? Wait and see, that's the Obama method. Maybe he'll be a good talker when it comes time to surrendering this once great country to one of these places. He's already given it over to most liberal government we've ever had!

October 4, 2009 at 9:54 am |