Today on CNN Newsroom

September 26th, 2009

Are men happier than women?

Are you happy? Breaking it down to gender, are MEN happier than WOMEN?

Do you believe a new General Social Survey that concludes YES to the latter. That disproportionately, men are happier than women? In other words, the study claims that women are getting gloomy while men are getting happy.

Part of the findings declare that rooted in the disparity are family life, career and marriage . The study says women are feeling more stressed about all of those things compared to men. Do you believe any of this?

Men and women out there: are you feeling more or less stressed these days and why? Does it have anything to do with marriage, family life or career? Or how about the economy? Are you taking on more than usual in these days of economic tough times? We want to hear from you this weekend and include your thoughts in our 4pm Saturday show when we ask ARE MEN HAPPIER THAN WOMEN?

Filed under: Anchors • Fredricka Whitfield • Josh Levs
  1. Kevin

YES. I believe that men are happier than women, overall. Women allow themselves to stress about smaller things than men and allow their emotions to control their decisions, actions and anxiety more than men do. I think that most men stress about larger issues and let the small stuff go. Women seem to always be in constant flux, fighting within themselves to balance their roller coaster of emotions on even them most minute issues, as well as the "big picture" challenges.

September 25, 2009 at 8:39 am |
  2. Mike Armstrong TX.

It all depeneds if theres a bunch of screeming kids involved then nobodys happy.

September 25, 2009 at 9:10 am |
  3. Jim @ SD

Management and "Leadership" life is draining what little time is left for personal time........ as organizational demands to do more and more with less and less resources, time is a diminishing precious commodity. We can't demand a certain behavior from our staff and not walk the talk.. our president works over 80 hours a week!
    Our competition is already doing the same..

September 25, 2009 at 10:16 am |
  4. Katie Jones

I believe that men are much happier than women due to many events in society. Men in society have always been privileged, for example men received the right to vote before women, men had the right to own land, they even have the opportunity to be employed while women where forced to be house wives . No matter what goes on women will always stress about everything because they are more aware of their surroundings and issues which involve caring. Where as men they have been taught to be strong and not to let anything hinder them. Their model has always been I can do all things no matter what it calls for. Women tend to let their emotions control their decisions, actions which can cause them to be depress more often than men. Most men stress about issues that soul affect them such as loosing their job, not having a job, and loosing a loved one, other than that they let the small stuff go. Women seem to always be in constant flux, fighting within themselves to balance their mixed feelings and emotions on even major and minor issues. I believe that stress plays a major role in whether a male or female will be happy. Men are happier than women because they have an Ego which they don’t usually let things hinder it unless it’s worth the pain.

September 25, 2009 at 10:36 am |
  5. eProducer

I believe that men are happier than women. It seems to me that women allow themselves to be defined by popular culture more than men do. Ironically, I think that being "liberated" may only have exacerbated the problem by placing additional, often unrealistic, demands on women that men have either just accepted, or have evolved to a point that it no longer affects them. Personally, I know many more unhappy, dissatisfied women than I do men, both single and in relationships.

September 25, 2009 at 12:27 pm |
  6. Mike Armstrong TX.

Some men are happy as women and some women are happy as men but myself im a womans men and my wife and I are both happy because life is too short to be sad.

September 25, 2009 at 2:15 pm |
  7. Sue

I think women are unhappier than men. But I don't think it is the economy. I think it has been going on for a lot longer than that. For a long time now we have been told that we can have it all. We can have any career that a man can have AND still raise the perfect happy family. While it is certainly true that women can be anything they want to be, it is impossible for anyone to have it ALL. As a result, no matter what women do they feel like a failure. A stay at home mom feels like a failure because she hasn't got a successful career or isn't using her education. The career woman feels like a failure because she isn't there for her family as much as she should, or has missed out on family life all together. Women really need to give themselves (and each other) a break. If we could stop all the judgement then maybe we could see the good in our lives and be happy again.

September 25, 2009 at 2:29 pm |
  8. Tyshakia

I do believe that survey because if you think about it, women go through so much more than men do. We have to struggle and survive harder than most men around us. We've went through alot in history and we're still going through alot now. On top of that, we're stuck with a lot of things that men doesn't have to deal with at all.

September 25, 2009 at 4:52 pm |
  9. Laura

Also, generally women are more emotional (and more in tune with them) than men, probably for an evolutionarily advantageous biological reason. If the society were truly equal, emotions would be just as highly valued as typical masculine qualities, such as power. It's obviously not. I learned in a psychology class that happy mother's raise more emotionally adept babies...trends of depression and women only speaks to a darker future for generations.

September 25, 2009 at 9:16 pm |
  10. Laura

Ah yes, another thing I learned in a Psychology class (I was a Psych major)...women are more likely and it is more socially acceptable for women to talk about things like depression and/or dissatisfaction. Just because the number is higher for women who feel free to express more unhappiness as compared to men doesn't necessarily mean this is so, although I stand by everything else I said as to why women might actually be more depressed into today's society as compared to men.

September 25, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  11. Moffie

Definitely men are happier. Too much is expected of women these days, and it has been going on long before the economic crisis started. We women wanted the choice to work if wanted to...but gone are the days that we can choose to stay home with our families. We did this to ourselves, but...is it too late to go back to the days when Mom can be home and happy taking care of home and family? Seems like men and women were all happier then, and the world was a better place!

September 26, 2009 at 12:32 pm |
  12. Frank L Bracy Jr

Are men happier than women?

No--they just don't whine so much.

Men talk to convey information or to solve problems. Women talk to vent emotions. Men don't complain so much, so it makes them seem happier. Plus, men are more likely to simply accept the status quo, whereas, women are more likely to want change--even when things are going well.

Frank L. Bracy, Jr.
    Three Rivers, MI 49093

PS: Don't let the "Jr." in my name fool you. I'm 3 years older than John McCain.

September 26, 2009 at 12:50 pm |
  13. rosemariek

I agree with eProducer and Sue. "Liberation" in the '70s brought new choices, but those were ADDED to the responsibility women feel to raise children, keep a nice home, connect with friends, care for aging parents, etc. etc. It's not that men don't help – most just don't notice the details a woman finds necessary to do.

Yesterday, we drove past a house in progress – the porch has 2X6 framing exposed, there is a half-built addition that the man of the house works on about once a month for a few hours. It's been going on for 2-3 years... would have been 1-2 days of work for a skilled carpenter. The guy probably sees it as a gift to his family: "more space" and a fun craft project for himself: "look what I'm doing." But that kind of unfinished stuff drives women insane as we try to keep our homes in living order. "He must not love his wife very much to put her through this," I remarked to my husband, who looked at me in surprise.

My mom and I have mentored many women with no idea on how to "do life," even when they had thriving careers. "Life" outside work (esp. family and relationships) demands a special skill set we assume is instinctive, but it's learned like everything else. (Without moms who are role models in childhood, teens, and young adulthood – on keeping house, marriage, and raising kids – we women can be clueless on life flow, discipline, etc.) Our expectations are unrealistic. If we marry, he's as broken and incomplete as we are and it takes good and hard years with seasons of grace and kindness to build a strong marriage (32 years for us so far. 57 for my folks.)

September 26, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  14. D. Billups

I think men probably are happier than women because women are called upon more often to deal with family issues. When family members are sick or whatever, they usually call on the women in the family for comfort or support. Sometimes this can cause women to fill overwhelmed and stressful, leading them to be unhappy.

September 26, 2009 at 3:33 pm |
  15. Claire

The older the woman in the United States, the more unhappy she will be. By the age of 50 most of us will have acute and chronic depression, and life gets more and more unhappy: the children grow up and move away, the husband leaves you for a younger, happier woman, and you have to move your elderly, ailing parent in with you and take care of their bathroom needs, medication, everything else as they fail ever more slowly and now may live to 100 while the middle-age, aging daughter has to support them by herself.

September 26, 2009 at 3:34 pm |
  16. Rick

Yes.. men are happier. Men learn early that life is rough and you just have to make the best of it.

Women grow up expecting their lives to be like the fairy tales, then when it doesn't turn out that way, spend the rest of their lives feeling disappointed.

September 26, 2009 at 3:46 pm |
  17. Roger Monfreda

I don't think women are necessarily less happy than men. I think that because of increased equality between the sexes that women are really starting to feel the pressures that men as a whole have experienced for generations. The difference is that, generally, sons have had fathers to show them how to cope with these pressures. The majority of women haven't had that kind of support and advice available to them because this is really the first generation of women to feel these pressures. So it's not necessarily being less happy but a leveling of the field.

September 26, 2009 at 3:50 pm |
  18. Courtenay

I do agree with this opinion. However, I think that the culprit is the work-life balance that many women struggle with. Women are the head of family life and take on full-time careers. Men have never fully taken on both rolls. If you add the factor of a single parent home or an unsatisfying career, the problems compound. Society does not expect as much of men as it does women.

September 26, 2009 at 3:57 pm |
  19. Maria

LOL that this question has been debated since Eve HAD to have that apple and Adam just went along with it. Men have the capacity to "go along to get along," especially where women are concerned. They seem not to sweat the same small details that woman do. Women complain about being under appreciated & over worked. Quit whining ladies. Reach down and find your own joy. Men were not put on earth to achieve this for us and neither were other women. Friends help but if you want a higher "Happiness Quotient" step up & out of yourselves.

September 26, 2009 at 4:00 pm |
  20. C. Desjarlais

It has long been known that men are the hands of this world and the women are the heart of this world.

Women hurt for all things in this world , for we tend to be influenced by heart (read soul).

September 26, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  21. radgrafx@hotmail.com

It's not that men are happier, it's that women are always misreable.

September 26, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  22. noybz

Subjective thing, of course.
    I can't be very happy about not ever having a family of my own. Abortion was the outcome from my first love, her choice that left me without a life I wanted 30 years ago, and now even if a woman began to have a relationship with me I would be a senior citizen trying to raise a family instead of a grandfather.
    Missed a lifetime of Christmas's, birthdays, holiday fun from camping and amusement park visits. Reality says 'so what?', because everyone might get divorced, die young, etc. Guess if you look at it that way then, yeah, I must be happy by that logic.
    Well, having my own mind I can say there's nothing for me to be truly happy about. My mother past away recently and father is getting up there in years. Brother and sister's families are far away and no ones family is actually mine anyhow so I can't live through others. Adoption is probably not an option for me, as much as I like kids, I wanted a family of my own. Selfish as that may be, I grew up with a loving family and wanted the same.
    Women have only proven to be anything but a bad thing in my life if I'm supposed to force it to be good alone without another persons help in making that so. And everyone knows women are the only ones with the say in that. Ironic.
    Easier for them to say you're gay or for them to be such, or get pushed along or ride it out... so on and so forth.
    So-called 'puppy love' was the only happy time of my life and memories prove that wasn't without terrible growing pains of a relationship.
    It's ridiculous to say "Are men happier than women?" when a multitude of opinions will only prove people once again think some way or another, about the reality of life, without true feelings ever being known. Anything thought at the moment is merely superficial.

September 26, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  23. Jamie

If men are so much happier than women, why are there more widows than widowers?

Men don't do well without women. Women often feel as if they have lightened the load of one more obligation.

September 26, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  24. MERCI

WORKING WITH LADIES IN A HOSPITAL I FIND LADIES ARE VERY DRIVEN AND GREAT AT BUSINESS ..BUT IT SEEMS TO CAUSE BITTERNESS SHORT TEMPERS ..

MANY MEN I DEAL WITH ON THE OTHER HAND SEEM TO FIND PEACE WITH SHORT COMINGS (THOUGH I HAVE FOUND A GROWING INSECURITY IN FAMILY MEN)

September 26, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  25. Joseph

Couldn't we be plainer if we posit an increasingly catabolic world and were women considered, momentarily, as intrinsically more nurturing might be more unhappy?

September 26, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  26. RMajor

How does this impact the stats on women living longer and more men commiting suicide??

September 26, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  27. MERCI

AND THE LADIES BEING INTERVIEWED SEEM TO NOT REFLECT THIS BLOG OF REAL PEOPLE ...I THINK THE LADIES BEING INTERVIEWED SHOULD READ THE ENTRIES FROM THE LADIES ON THIS BLOG AND RETHINK WHAT THE REAL PUBLIC IS THINKING

September 26, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  28. Herman Morgan

Fredricka, I've enjoyed this discussion, and in thinking about the problem, I may have hit upon a group of Women who are Happier than their Peers.
    " Women who are Sport's Fans". Are,in my family and friends, (both of which are large groups), it seems that the women who enjoy sports, and watching sports with the Guys, are happier than those who fail to understand the joy men get from watching their favorite Teams and Sports on TV.
    Maybe they are happier because they are more like the men in their lives than many of their sisters are, or because they share our passion for Sports, they also take a different view on their roles in the Family, and Society?
    Don't know for sure, but I bet if polled, Lady Sports Fans would rate higher on the happiness scale than the majority !

September 26, 2009 at 4:30 pm |
  29. LeKeitta

I think women worry more than men but I do believe men pretend to be happy. Besides, no one would want a man who always complaining about how unhappy he is. Women are more vocal about how they feel.

September 26, 2009 at 4:32 pm |
  30. joyce white

Women who put starting a family on hold to start a career usually end up lonely and realize they're getting older and more successful and haven't started a family. Women who put starting a career on hold to start families usually wonder what could have happend. Women who have both feel like they're being ran in too many different directions. So honestly..is there a way to make women happy at all? There always seems to be a problem

September 26, 2009 at 4:37 pm |
  31. Un-Happy Jac.

Is it that CNN has nothing more important to talk about than whether men or women are happier? hell, no one is happy right now, we are in a resession.
    Now, lets talk about some more important topics, like when will the economy get better.
    when will jobs come back to California

When will more funding go towards education so teachers won't have 45 students in a class.

I am not happy about you wasting time with this topic.

September 26, 2009 at 4:43 pm |
  32. Ness

I think the survey is slanted and the reporting of the overall survey doesn't goes deep enough. I'm confident that it in our society, it is not acceptable for men to express if they are unhappy. Secondly, I didn't recall hearing the breakdown of ethnicity. As the power of decision lessen in your life, the more unhappier people become. In the U.S., the true and real decision making power hierarchy is white males, white females, black females, black males. Therefore, at the bottom of this "happiness ladder" is black men.

September 26, 2009 at 4:43 pm |
  33. Amy

I believe a major issue has been overlooked in this discussion. Instead of arguing that perhaps giving women more choices may lead to added stress, let's look at the impact of mainstream society on women. There is a multi-billion dollar industry directed towards women to make them skinnier, younger, more sexy, etc. Perhaps we need to be looking at gender differences of happiness and how society places pressure on women to look and act a certain way, and to fear natural life processes such as aging. Perhaps women's unhappiness is related to body image issues that are directly related to messages they receive through the media. For example, after having a baby, many tabloids say, "Look at _____'s new body." Implicit in that message is that a body is disposable and replacable; women are taught to change themselves and to believe that they are not good enough.

September 26, 2009 at 4:46 pm |
  34. SDL

Women are always nurturing others before them selves which I feel accounts to the lack of happiness in our selves. We strive to have everything in its place for our mates and don't take anymore to STOP and enjoy life for our self.

September 26, 2009 at 4:46 pm |
  35. Francine

I think that women need a break. We need more money and less responsibility. Men make more money, but most women have to work a couple of jobs toutside of the home and then have to come home and do everything at home. Why shouldn't men be happier? They only do an outside job and come home and sit on their laurels. Younger men are doing better, now. The main burden is on the woman, now. Life simply has just been made easier for men. It is stil a patriarchal society. We as women do it all. It is time if we women are going to have to do it all then we want momre money. Guys need to step up more.

September 26, 2009 at 4:48 pm |
  36. C. Desjarlais

I think it has to do with the 6th sense. We know how to be happy, but life, with its increased expectations, and, perhaps, the roles of men not crossing over into equal partnership in many things, and single-parenting mothers, it is getting more difficult.

If one wanted to know more about those who have crossed that happiness line, perhaps it is those women who have found ways and time to find their own happiness amidst the chaos.

It took me retirement and empty nest to begin to reach that deeply and enduringly.

September 26, 2009 at 4:48 pm |
  37. Lori

I would be curious to see what the breakdown is per age group and whether age makes a difference. As we have an aging society, more women are hitting menopause. Simply put, menopause is no joy. You take a normal happy woman with all the normal stresses in her life and then throw in menopause and bang! ...life brings on a whole new meaning. That's not surprising since 70-80 percent of menopausal women are affected by side effects ranging from annoying to down right debilitating. Oh please..... you try to stay happy when everytime you turn around you break out into a sweat, your sleep is disrupted with night sweats, your memory takes a knock, your mood changes on a dime, your... anyways, you get the picture. There are treatments out there but they don't work for everyone. Many, many, many women just learn to live with it. Add that to your normal life and see if you can manage to stay as happy as you were before it began. Just my 2 cents.

September 26, 2009 at 4:52 pm |
  38. rmcleod

Just curious if the downtrend in women's happiness was in line with divorce rate increases?

September 26, 2009 at 4:53 pm |
  39. Jim

Hi,

My job has created a lot more stress on me this year with having more responsibilities but one thing that has made a huge difference is that I sought out what I would call a spiritual (Christian) mentor at work. He is a co-worker who I have been playing tennis with and he invited me to weekly Bible study meetings once a week at work and that time (only 30 minutes) has helped me tremendously in putting my life in perspective and it has helped me with my relationship with my wife.

Thank you.

Jim
    Indianapolis, IN

September 26, 2009 at 4:54 pm |
  40. Sue Tatem

If men are so happy,

why are they so GRUMPY?

S

September 26, 2009 at 4:57 pm |
  41. Cathryn Lahm

Well darn, I have been looking for the last 20 minutes for this blog and it wasn't until the end of the segment the location was mentioned on TV.

I would suggest they scroll the web addy across the bottom of the screen so we can find you faster ....

I was going to say: of course men are happier than women... women do everything for men... lol

September 26, 2009 at 4:59 pm |
  42. Liza

Are you kidding???? Ofcourse, men are happier than women. They have no REAL pressure except to earn money. Ok, women do that now and sometimes we even earn more in many cases. So.....there you have it.......'we bring home the bacon, fry it up in the pan, and you know the rest'. I'm going to be a man in my next life!! They have it going on.

September 26, 2009 at 5:03 pm |
  43. Don Borseth

I believe similar studies show women are more liberal than men and in the 70's ERA was on the table. Since the 80's till now conservatives ruled and they are still obstructing healthcare now which is a issue have a liberal view in general. This isn't the only factor but one of the many.

September 26, 2009 at 5:09 pm |
  44. Felix Cruz

To the woman he said, "I will greatly increase your pains in childbearing; with pain you will give birth to children. Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you." Genesis 3:16

The verse from the Bible above is the answer why women are less happy than men. The surveyors could not find any natural answer to the question, "Are Men Happier Than Women?". The reason is that the answer is supernatural. When Women find their place in the home and allow the man to be the head of the home, you will see that the family is living in accordance with the commandment of God and thus will be happier.

September 26, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  45. Marge Lauerman

I am a 78 year old woman and I feel as happy or happier than ever. I have some medical concerns but other than that I enjoy life. I know lots of happy seniors. We only worry about one thing, our health.

September 26, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  46. Barbara B.

I think men and women both could be a lot happier in life if we focus more on our needs and less on our wants. I think we get caught up in obtaining too much unnecessary "stuff" which leads to stress, unhappiness and a lack of compassion for those around us (family) and those who may be less fortunate. We need to get back to basics people! Love of God; love of our neighbors and love for self.

September 26, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  47. BL

Weren't happy when they stayed home, "revolution" ensured, got the jobs, etc. Men were attacked to change, rightfully so, and picked up the activities with chores, kids, etc. Now they aren't happy out in the work force.

I work fifty to sixty hours a week. Today, Saturday, I hauled stuff to a hazardous waste pickup and was washing the upstairs windows when your show came on. My wife golfed three times this week.

Looks like they'll never be happy.

September 26, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  48. Lovell

Yes I think men are happier because we have more hobbys than women. Like hunting,fishing,and sporting events. That takes us away from the everday stress of life.

September 26, 2009 at 6:27 pm |
  49. Jean Munroe

What do you mean by happy? I am happiest when I have something to worry about. Once I recognized this fact, I was okay with it. My husband was happiest during the election when there was a lot of stress and strife on the news. He was happy being angry! He loved watching the news, whereas I just got angry and frustrated and upset, but not happy. He would yell at the TV and get worked up. He enjoyed it like he enjoys football. Even though he is not insensitive, the whole thing was entertaining to him. I felt like the balance of the free world was at stake, he saw a great game. Now I get to worry about the economy and healthcare – and will be eternally happy, and he gets to watch football, Glenn Beck and Keith Olberman. I would say we have a well-adjusted, happy household.

September 27, 2009 at 10:22 am |
  50. Chloe JonPaul

I found that study very misleading. One cannot clump all women into a set category. Happiness for an 18 year old is not the same as it is for a 40,50, or older woman.

September 27, 2009 at 12:34 pm |
  51. JF

Women and Men should strive for significance, success. What has God called you to do? The world will always push you to go with whatever everyone else does. Happiness is not found in conformity. Whenever we find ourselves striving for whatever our neighbor has, we will find ourselves unhappy. If we seek joy and significance – which will be different for everyone, then happiness (joy) will follow. The answer is in Christ.

September 27, 2009 at 8:18 pm |
  52. anne

I know that I was happiest when I was married and a stay at home mom. I loved it! The feminist movement has ruined it for women because they dictated that women were'nt contributing members of society if we didnt go out to work and be equal to men. This was the wrong message. Our children have suffered because they are usually latch key kids while mommy is out working and society in general has suffered. I wish I could find a great man and get married again. Marriage gives a purpose because one is "giving" to each other and doing things together and growing. I miss the good old days for sure!

September 27, 2009 at 9:03 pm |
  53. Guy

Could different expectations be a starting point? I read recently that 2/3 of divorces are initiated by the wife. One (male) blogger pointed out that if men sought divorce only as often as women, the rate would be halved, and said the problem seems to be that marriage just doesn't live up to women's expectations. Maybe men benefit from having less imagination. Or less inclination to believe that whatever can be imagined can be.

September 27, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  54. IGNANT-

PROZAC for Everyone!!!....I really hope there wasn't any money waisted doing studies on this...considering everything else that is going on in the world..maybe its that we don't have enough to do...maybe all these unhappy women should start volunteering or finding things in this life that bring them joy...instead on concentrating on the negative side of life...I promise women over here are a lot happier than women in the middle east!...I think maybe we have women who don't truly know what being unhappy means..Hope they never have to find out.

Yes I am a woman.

September 27, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  55. GS

I believe a person's happiness is directly related to the expectations he or she sets for him or herself. I also believe that our relationships have the greatest impact on our happiness. In general, men have lower expectations for relationships than women and therefore are happier.

September 28, 2009 at 1:03 am |
  56. Cyn

The reason occurred to me immediately. At no age, under no conditions, do most women feel they look good enough, and this culture sells us over and over again on the fact that we're judged by our looks.

No amount of liberation will make anyone happy until they can feel they are valued more for their qualities and contributions than they are by their appearance.

Martin Luther King wanted us to all be judged by our character, not by the color of our skin. Female liberation will come when women are not judged so universally on their appearance, and keep trying (and paying!) to attain unreachable standards.

September 28, 2009 at 1:17 am |
  57. Elsa Bondar

Women are happy if their work and persons are valued by those they love, their community and their society. The riht to Vote gave us a lot more to be happy about.
    The right to Vote–1920–19th Amendment
    There was a time--almost 90 years ago when
    Women had No official say in Governmental Affairs.
    They were allowed to be mothers and housewives.
    They were allowed to be, cooks, seamstresses, and laundresses, servants, factory and field workers.
    They were allowed to be charming, hostesses, actresses, and perhaps even nurses, or teachers.
    They were NOT allowed to VOTE for Federal Legislators, or for the US President or Vice President.
    Few States allowed them to vote for State legislative or executive offices.
    If they were married, their husband had first claim on the money they inherited, or earned.
    If they divorced their husbands had first claim on the children.
    If they were abused, or subject to a gambling, wandering, or drunken husband, they could not reclaim their financial or other independence.
    The only sure birth control was abstinence, or death of the wife during child birth.
    LEST WE FORGET–Before the RIGHT TO VOTE!
    Today, We celebrate the 19th Amendment every time we go to the polls to vote,
    Every time we deposit our paychecks,
    Every time we can breathe that sweet fresh air of independent thought and feeling.
    Do we feel valued in the machismo world of the media?

September 28, 2009 at 1:47 am |
  58. Muin

I saw Maureen Dawd wrote a column about this in NY times. I agree with her that women may start to feel unhappier as they start to get older. Couple of years ago my cousin in Bangladesh got divorced from her first husband and married a young tv travel guide. I was really surprised when I heard this because she was really conservative. She has one daughter in college and one in high school. She met the guy when he was teaching her older daughter. I always felt from outside that she had a happy marriage. Obviously she wasn't happy with her life and moved on. Everyone in the family supported her decision because everyone knew she did it for her happiness. Women would move on if they are unhappy just like men. Men and women both have equal option to move on if they are unhappy. There is no right or wrong answer for this question. Men have about same control over their destiny as women in today's world.

September 28, 2009 at 2:39 am |
  59. Wanda

If men are happier than women, why is the suicide rate much higher for men than for women? I believe the ratio is for every woman who commits suicide, four men do likewise. People say a lot of things in a survey, and they are not always truthful. Women tend to be more in touch with what they are feeling, while men are masters at self deception and denial. Their competitive natures refuse to allow them to admit any kind of "weakness," which includes depression and unhappiness. Although women can sometimes be be very competitive themselves, they can more openly admit to feeling sad or disappointed by life. For a man, being depressed is akin to losing control.

September 28, 2009 at 3:37 am |
  60. been there done that

women will never be happy until they follow their true nature. men do follow their natures; that's why they're happier. one women got the mistaken notion that they should be like men (in the 70's with the brain dead idea of the ERA), the unhappiness trend started.

until women realize who they are, they'll never be happy. problem is, women may not like what their true nature is. since it seems to be lost on today's women, ladies tour true nature is to have babies and raise them. sorry to say it out loud, but you'd best recognize the truth. you just don't like it, and will say i'm a horrible person. but, it's the truth nonetheless.

you may believe you're capable of more than just being a baby factory. no one's denying that. but will you EVER be happy doing anything but what you are built for? no, you won't.

September 28, 2009 at 4:03 am |
  61. Herman Morgan

WoW, This discussion has gotten much deeper and more thorough than Fredricka's short segment which started this thread.
    A couple of things that stand out to me are, (a) Women's responses tend to blame women for their own unhappiness, (b) Several women cited the damage done by TV and media marketing as major factors in women's displeasure with themselves, and their poor body image. (I couldn't agree more !), (c), several posts said that men "have it made" because all they have to do is be a "bread-winner", then come home and kick-back.
    As a 62 year-old who was a single parent in the 70's and 80's, I totally sympathized with the majority of single parents who were female, but I think Men's attitudes changed in the 80's, and most husbands I know do much of the cooking and shopping, and do household chores on the weekends. Men also share the chauffeur duties required to get today's kids to all their sports and activities, as well as being the primary earner.
    RE: Item (b), way back in the mid-60's, in his book, "Soul on Ice", Eldridge Cleaver said that the reason most black men were drawn to white women, was because all their lives, the image of beauty they were sold on TV and Magazines, was of a blue-eyed Blonde white women, and so that was who he had raped, because in those times white women were forbidden fruit for Afro-American Men.
    Also, nobody mentioned Bulimia, teen suicides, and the other many ills brought about by the Mass Media.

September 28, 2009 at 11:04 am |
  62. Tif

I have to say that i agree with wanda....i dont think that women are really more unhappy than men are-but if they admit it men lose a sense of control.....society, i believe, calls for men to be less vocal because it's femine-and then in turn when girls do express how they feel i believe unhappiness developes because of the indignant non-empathetic display that is put on by one to many males-that all this "emotion" is so typical of woman....when they good and well feel exactly the same way........

when a male loses the ability to to empathize with someone it doesnt show that he has strong discipline (and that women should aim for this same ability) but rather that he is simply ignorant-pride and humility can't exist together like that.....everybody has there weakneses

male and female alike can learn to be content no matter their situation (i know this for a fact)....but neither gender should be exempt from considering other people or be excused for putting on a fake display of security-men fake it way more often than women.....and in many cases of people iv noticed this fake security in(if they are a type of man that believes only women are emotional), they tend to try and bring down females around them when they feel like they are losing control (most often showed through sudden bursts of anger or physical and especially verbal abuse to the females they're most close to).......but let me stop before i get way to deep into this

this was just my theory-i dont think this is neccessarily true because honesty in emotions in true contentment vs a sort of passiveness-i dont think have been considered

October 6, 2009 at 11:57 pm |
  63. H

I agree with Sue.

This really is a no-brainer. Who wouldn't be happier if they didn't have two, all-consuming jobs which require you to work 24-hours a day, everyday with no breaks and with unlimited demands and then be sexy and ready for lovin. Women with careers and family are simply spread too thin. Of course men are generally happier. Many of them have the same deal that they've always had or better. They might make a living for the family and come home to a clean home, dinner, etc or they might only share the financial burden and still have dinner prepared for them etc. There are some wonderful men who share the burden around the house. Then there are some men who are supportive if the woman wants a career but feel responsible to provide for the family and allow the woman to stay home and care for the family there. They recognize that as work and appreciate it. That would be my wonderful husband.

October 15, 2009 at 9:22 am |