Today on CNN Newsroom

September 28th, 2009

Are men happier than women?

Are you happy?

The new general social survey reveals in the past three decades men have gotten happier while women are less happy.

Do you believe it? Perhaps the picture either becomes clearer or cloudier when you hear the break down of some of the possibilities.

CNN's Fredricka Whitfield explores.

Filed under: Anchors • Fredricka Whitfield
  1. Bettye

I agree somewhat. As a mother of 2 and a wife, I've found that while I'm concerned with everybody's well-being my husband has only been concerned with his own. Therefore, if they (men) are concerned only with their wants/needs, they are goin g to be happier for the moment .

September 28, 2009 at 9:21 am |
  2. Elderbiggs

I think that Women are happier

September 28, 2009 at 9:39 am |
  3. Ginger Blymyer

I asked my granddaughter what would make her father happy and she replied, "if my mother was happy." My how observant. I think men may be easier to please but somewhere an idea has been planted in their childhood that Mama must be happy and they strive for the rest of their lives to make the woman they love happy so they can relax. At least I have found that to be true. My husband was very good to me, but I also sensed he was under pressure to keep me happy before he could really relax. I was happy and told him I was responsible for my own happiness. But sometimes at night, when he got into bed I would hear a big sigh of relief, like he could finally let go and relax, all was finally well and he was off the hook.

September 28, 2009 at 2:49 pm |
  4. alljoy

I believe most men are angry, judgemental and controlling toward women...which unfortunately for the world, subjects women and children to their rants of violence and abuse. I look at the increase in men who are gay (not born), increase of men who are sexual with other men but want a relationship with women, this has caused Aids in epidemic proportion among women...Why because they do not have enough integrity to wear protection....Adulterous men who profess God out of the side of their mouths as they go to their "soulmates" on the side...Does this make men happier than women? No, I think they are tortured inside because in reality they really have no control.

September 28, 2009 at 3:16 pm |
  5. Mrs. Eileen Curras widow to Hernandez (WWII)

Sadly society is not control by Man or Woman but by the market that drive their influences. Asking citizens if they are happy is a difficult measure to be address. Who issued this new general social survey? Rolls for men and woman have changed in the past three decades. Women have learned to live without man. They have found self sufficiency when men do not stand to the need on a household. In my opinion men have relinquish every responsibility to woman and women are less happy with so much stress. Maybe is time to question society. Do you believe that society has gotten so lost? The picture becomes clearer or cloudier when you hear the breakdown of some of the possibilities.

September 28, 2009 at 5:41 pm |
  6. Mrs. Eileen Curras widow to Hernandez (WWII)

I agree with Alljoy. Most men are angry, judgmental and controlling toward women. This situation unfortunately for the world subject’s women and children to their rants of violence and abuse and the government has not done anything to change the situation. I look at the increase in men who are gay (not born), increase of men who are sexual with other men but want a relationship with women; this has caused Aids in epidemic proportion among women. Why because they do not have enough integrity to wear protection. On the other hand you have adulterous men who profess God out of the side of their mouths as they go to their “soul mates” on the side. Does this make men happier than women? No, I think they are tortured inside because in reality they really have no control.

September 28, 2009 at 5:46 pm |
  7. patti cameorn

Women are happier than Men. Men need a women around to make them happy. Well women don't need men to be happy

September 28, 2009 at 8:36 pm |
  8. Wanda

The suicide rate is much higher for men than it is for women. For every woman who commits suicide there are four men who kill themselves.

September 28, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  9. Voicez

Women are happy, men are happy. And vice-versa.

September 29, 2009 at 1:05 am |
  10. Jay

Everyone is happy to a certain extend. I think its very hard to really gauge which gender is happy...because as we know...there's 6 billion of us on the planet and probably such a hypothesis on who's happy or not will not truly reflect the world's view

Money does to some extend make people happy...but as we all know it doesn't guarantee happiness. Its just a small ingredient to happiness.

I've seen families who are close knit and truly happy with their mediocre living standards but they share the best of family quality time and the best of warmth among its siblings.

Happiness is a word ....but Real happiness comes from within ourselves....to be really happy...you got to be happy with yourself first and forget what the world defines as happiness.

September 29, 2009 at 3:16 am |
  11. Ken - Long Beach, CA

Of course men are happier. We don't nag. 🙂

September 29, 2009 at 12:52 pm |
  12. Dan Fleury

Well, women are more often in competition with each other.... you tell me.

September 29, 2009 at 1:28 pm |
  13. Susan

I basically agree with Bettye above. As wives and mothers we basically take care of men. What's not to be happy about in that situation?

September 30, 2009 at 1:17 pm |