Today on CNN Newsroom

September 30th, 2009

Drive a Toyota or Lexus? Read This.

Toyota
Toyota

Deadly floor mats - it sounds like a bad joke.

Tragically, at least four people lost their lives in an accident investigators believe was floor mat-related. Now Toyota, the world's biggest carmaker, is recalling 7 of its models - 3.8 million vehicles.

From CNNMoney.com:

The Toyota models being recalled include the 2007-2010 Camry, 2005-2010 Avalon, 2004-2009 Prius, 2005-2010 Tacoma and 2007-2010 Tundra. The Lexus models facing the safety recall are the 2007-2010 ES 350, and the 2006-2010 IS 250 and IS 350.

If you own one of these cars, Toyota says to remove the floor mat on the driver's side immediately.

For more info, check out their official news release.

Filed under: Kyra Phillips • On TV
  1. Anita C.

Don~ I'm the first one to complain about Big Brother watching our every move. However, some things are just common sense. I encounter people on cell phones both talking & texting when I'm on the road.

(2) yrs. ago I was hit in a parking lot, the car appeared to be parked when suddenly the women hit the gas and hit me. She didn't realize it until I started pounding on the hood as she continued to accelerate. Luckily, because she was idling I was not seriously injured.

People PLEASE Wake Up.

September 30, 2009 at 1:44 pm |
  2. alex lyrics

what next?

mexico toys loaded with lead, toothpaste with radiator fluid , candy filled with poluted water and lead,

now this lol whos watching out for the consumer
    China and their crap also

September 30, 2009 at 2:28 pm |
  3. Crystal C.

I drive an 04 Mitsubishi and had the same problem with my floor mat. It got really bad for awhile...almost crashed a couple of times. I finally just ripped them out and put cheap ones in. The mat kept getting caught under my gas peddle WHILE I was driving...VERY dangerous.

I thought I was the only one.

September 30, 2009 at 3:01 pm |
  4. Matt G

When he realized the car was accelerating out of control , put your car in neutral and put on the brake. emergencies happen and people should know how to deal with them. e brake, regular brake, neutral, shut the car off, air bags?, seat belts and put the car in rev and drop the transmission. Do anything you can to stop the car except panic. Sorry they died but the driver sounds as though he didn't know any of the options available to him to get that car stopped before long before126mph.

September 30, 2009 at 3:26 pm |
  5. Ray Lightbourn

When the gas pedal sticks, just put it in nuetral. Common sence!

September 30, 2009 at 3:34 pm |
  6. Robert Woodruff

The first thing they teach you in drivers education is to take the car out of gear when the accelerator is stuck and pull over. Then turn off the motor as soon as you are stopped. If you turn off the key you will lock the sterring wheel and not be able to control the car to stop it. The engine may blow out or over rev, but you can still manualy steer and brake. I have had this happen in a car that was not a Toyota and had to do this. The engine survived long enough for me to stop, shut it off, and get rid of the floor mat.

September 30, 2009 at 3:40 pm |
  7. Mike Armstrong TX.

Sounds like a large amount of money just to kill yourself .

October 1, 2009 at 9:06 am |
  8. Mike Armstrong TX.

Heres a great ideal give these cars to the Taliban and bring our people home.

October 1, 2009 at 9:08 am |
  9. Gary Terhune

I am saddened by the stories of injury and death due to the floormat problems in Toyotas and Lexuses. I am also amazed that no experts have mentioned the most obvious and effective measure a driver can take when confronted with an out-of-control vehicle, whether due to a stuck accelerator or brake failure. Simply turn the ignition off. Do not take it out of gear (standard or automatic), simply turn off the ignition and then focus on guiding the vehicle to a safe stop, using the brakes if available. I know from personal experience that such a situation engenders panic, apparently even in a California Highway Patrol officer, but if the message is repeated sufficiently, perhaps it will prevent at least a few accidents, a few injuries, and maybe even a few deaths.

October 1, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  10. Steve

My grandfather owned an 86 Honda Accord. I performed a brake job for him one time and a few weeks later he came back complaining how the brake pedal didn't feel right. When I got in to test drive the car I noticed the floor mat was bunched up behind the pedal which was the problem. The mat was also a stock item that came with the car. Some car mats do slide around. Guess that's another reason why not to talk or text on the phone while driving.
    I can imagine the shock of this unexpected event hitting you while driving down the road. I can't understand how someone can dial 911 frantically seeking help without turning the key off or shifting into neutral, applying the parking brake, burying both my feet onto the brake pedal should of helped. How sad for those victoms. That 911 audio is pure horror.

October 1, 2009 at 3:12 pm |
  11. Michelle

I think the all weather mats are a problem in any model, make, or year of car you have. I now am the owner of my second Lexus but I previously drove a VW Passat. The mats bunched up under the pedal before in my VW. It's a terrifying experience and as you can see just by this thread it doesn't only happen in Toyota and Lexus. ALL car company's should have the all weather mats secure to the floor of the car just like the regular carpet mats do. I just think it's sad to see this car company being the scape goat. It kind of reminds me of when Ford had the "bad" tires. Instead of blaming the maker of the tires, Ford was blamed.

October 20, 2009 at 5:22 pm |