Today on CNN Newsroom

September 30th, 2009

Sex Offenders: Out of Prison, No Place to Go

Georgia... we have a problem.

Hundreds of homeless sex offenders are "roaming" the state, looking for somewhere they're allowed to live. The other day, we brought you the story of a suburban Atlanta campsite that was home to a group of offenders. Here's the update, and an interview with one of the lawyers representing the men.

1. Nello

I don't like it as much as the next man, but if they have done the time they were given according to the law. They should be able to live where ever they want. The laws regarding sex offenders should be restructured to make sure when the do get release that is if they get release, they are no treat to anyone.

September 30, 2009 at 3:11 pm |
  2. Troy

As the user name states, I am a registered Sex Offender that was charged when I was only 11. I was on probation for being forced into a plea of "No Contest". Just before I was officially released from probation at the age of 13, the Sex Offender Registry was admitted to be law. I didn't have to register for it as far as I understood, but shortly after my 18th birthday, I received a visit from the local police saying that I was required to register. I have since been trying to prove my innocence so that I can live my life free of being afraid of being killed for being on the list. A Registered Sex Offender can be someone that had to go to the bathroom when there were none available and went ahead and relieved themself. Picking up a prostitute is another way.

September 30, 2009 at 4:07 pm |
  3. Lujean Rogers

DUH: Are taxpayers paying for these bums? I don't agree with a 17 y/o teen with a 15 year old girlfriend, being put with the old geezers. Idea: Other pedophiles not yet locked up, could start a fund to help them out? Seems a good idea. Shacks on a little island? Rolanski could head it up? Polanski? Or Woody Allen who too up with his step daughter. And PULease, shut Behar UP. We need news, not opinionated people trying to convince others their way is the only way. Maybe she can trade places with Beck so we only have to turn off one program? A lot of people happen to admire Ghadafi and Ahmedinejad for speaking the truth, without the spin turning what they say into lies! What about the 400 children killed Ghadafi mentioned, before the Lockerbi tragedy. He asked were they not important too? Oh and Ms. Behar needs to realize that Israel threatens its neighbors with its nuclear arsenal and continued expansions and lies about it. Stop that, and no one else will want WMD. We need peace, not more wars killing thousands of our soldiers for the armchair warriors.

September 30, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  4. Mike Armstrong TX.

Sex offenders are not the same as regular criminales they have an adiction to violent and unmoral sex the people are affraid of them because time in jail dont rehabilitate them.

September 30, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  5. Dino

Sex offender gave up there wright as a human when they went to jail. Now the rest of there lives are up to chance. But the hard working man should not pay for someones mistake.

September 30, 2009 at 6:05 pm |
  6. Dino Trefon

The best solution to this problem is to relocate the prisoner to another state.Where he can find work but needs to report weekly to the police to show that he was behaving and has done nothing to know body.It not much but it is a beginning.

September 30, 2009 at 6:27 pm |
  7. Meg

This not only happening in Georgia.. My brother is coming up to the end of his 7 year sentence. He was 19 sleeping with a 17 year old. Sex was not forceful or against her will. However since she was a "minor" the parents are able to press charges and there is nothing you can do. My mom is trying to get my brother released to her in another state, however she can not get parole & probation dept to return her phone calls or see her. My brother is being released in 23 days. If they don't approve the release to my mother, my brother will be released to the streets with hopes a homeless shelter will take him.

September 30, 2009 at 6:59 pm |
  8. Christopher

i personally think this is a vicious, Malicious, and heinus crime, when some one who is an adult can find it in them to take the innocense from a child it sickens me. people who commit sex offenses should be held to the fullest extent of the law. if a person is just charged with being with a 16 year old when they are 18 years old, then once they've paid their very small debt to society (no matter how long they were imprisioned) they should be able to continue life as normal, but true pedophiles should in my opinon be imprisioned for life, but if there is no place for them to go after they've done their time, i think they should just stay locked up until something becomes availiable. this way everyone is safe.

September 30, 2009 at 11:21 pm |
  9. Mike Armstrong TX.

Just move these people into Sodams Insanes old place whats the name of that hole in the ground retreat.

October 1, 2009 at 11:26 am |
  10. Gloria Brown

America wake up, this is going to be a common problem nationwide, many states can not afford to pay for the housing and policing of the sex offenders and they will just disappear, into the unknown. Do you have new neighbors or guess who may be coming to dinner?

October 1, 2009 at 1:22 pm |
  11. Susan McKernan

So many men have been given the title of sex offenders and are forced to register under Megan's Law. In California there is a large population that took plea bargains even thou they did not commit any crimes. If you were accused of a crime and no witnesses were necessary to convict you of say 45 years:; would you take 3 years plea bargain? Most innocent of the charges take the plea on their lawyers advice. Can you imagine how this would change your life? And so you register as a sex offender for the rest of your life and the person that lied to have you put away doesn't have to prove a thing. Try living with no job, no home, and rules that make it impossible to assimmulate back into society.

October 3, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  12. Abbey

I dont agree with the silly labeling of 18 and 16 years old who had consentual sex as a sex offender. I do however feel like some 30 years old who had sex with an 11 year old innocent girl should be locked up for life and never released. You can't wash the shame from a child, all you can do is make sure the disgusting perverts who are registered sex offenders and have the balls to try and live life as normal outside of jail should be colored bright red and should wear warning signs for the rest of their life.

October 6, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  13. angie

I think the laws should be changed a little,because we can,t just allow these people to roam from place to place in case they re-offend.We set it up so that we could keep track of them not let them roam everywhere.

October 7, 2009 at 9:11 pm |

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 20,378 other followers