Today on CNN Newsroom

October 1st, 2009

The 30 Second Pitch: A grad student and a former Marine need your help

On Thursday's show we had two memorable pitches.

Justin Drezner is a grad student who got in touch with us through this blog.

As you watch the pitch we think you'll be struck by his effervescent personality and his candor in speaking up for the deaf who are looking for work.

If you have a job for him you may reach him at justin.drezner@gmail.com

Ex-Marine Darrien Clyne also reached out to us through this blog.

He's looking for work in information technology, is willing to relocate and has a can-do attitude.

If you have a job for him, you may e-mail him at: dcfuture@hotmail.com.

If you want to be part of the pitch tweet us @KyraCNN.

Filed under: :30 Second Pitch • Kyra Phillips
  1. Mike Armstrong TX.

Go for it Darrien hope you have lots of luck Texas Instruments is going to open a new faciliality in Richardson Texas get an early bid there .

October 1, 2009 at 1:42 pm |
  2. Ilsa

Dear Kyra,

Darrien's story is so sad in that he HAS done what our parents and society as a whole has encouraged us all to do: get a college degree, serve your country, as in the armed forces, be a great example to your children, and STILL he is looking for work.

I too atteneded school, as a single mother in fact, and now that I am certified to be a Teacher of English in high schools here in NJ, I am now out of work and struggling to pay rent and put food on the table. My children are both very proud of me for finishing school as an adult student returning to college, but now I wish I had kept my old secretarial job! I HATE BEING UNEMPLOYED! Now what do I do?

October 1, 2009 at 1:51 pm |
  3. Natasha B. Morris

Hello,

I am the sister of Darrien Clyne. All I ever remember growing up was my mother telling us that our big brother Darrien was away fighting for his country. Darrien inspired his famiy so much that his younger brother Desmond join the Marine Corp right after high school graduation. We pray that my talented and God fearing brother finds stable work. Good luck Big brother.

We Love you

Sandra, Desmond, Natasha (me), Altovise, Kameo, Jasmin, and all your neices and nephews.

October 1, 2009 at 2:15 pm |
  4. Victor Hoskins

Hello Kyra, My name is Victor Hoskins I am a out of work Automotive Manufacturing Manager. I have excellent interpersonal skills in management and project development. I would like to be considered for the 30 second pitch segment on you show.

October 1, 2009 at 2:31 pm |
  5. Steven Bayne

Kyra,

I'd like an opportunity to be on the 30 second pitch. I'm currently a consultant (read: unemployed!) with a degree from U of PA's Wharton School. I have been strictly a consultant for the past 4 1/2 years; I have experience in both private and public service.

My goal is to become an asset to a company, bringing positive synergy and some innovative thinking that can assist the company in a productive and successful manner.

I look forward to hearing from you soon – I need to be working RIGHT NOW!!

Sincerely,
    Steven L. Bayne, Philadelphia, PA

October 1, 2009 at 2:32 pm |
  6. Archibald A. Fraser

Miss Pillips I saw the 30 second pitch that you gave to Darrien Clyne to make an appeal for employment. Unfortunately I do not have a job for Darrien but rather I am looking for employment myself.

I happen to be a black American I have a master of science degree in Electronics and communications & my masters thesis caopared a Bayesian classifier and a K-Nearest neighbor statistical pattern recognition technique as applied to radar ground clutter and noise.

I worked for Agilent Technologies / Hewlett Packard for 29 years and was laid off at the end of July '09. I managed and directed large programs and Engineers; managed the programs from end to end; responsible for profit and loss; managed across functions; managed across geography and cultures. I am an expert engineer specializing in the RF, Microwave and Communications.

I was in the process of doing some of the finest work in my career when I was laid off due to the ecomomic down turn. I would appreciate the opportunity to do a 30 second pitch on your show and give someone the good fortune of having me on their staff.

Thanks and best regards,

Archibald A. Fraser

October 1, 2009 at 4:37 pm |
  7. kameo

I am the oldest daughter of Darrien Clyne and I would like my daddy and everyone to know that I love him and admire his strength.Something will come along daddy.Love you
    Kameo

October 1, 2009 at 5:57 pm |
  8. Bruce Davis

Kyra,

Darien and I story are somewhat the same. I have been unemployed for the past 13 months. I have 20 plus years in the Telecommunications arena. Recently lost my unemployment benefits
    in August .

I would like to share my core competencies. Also It is pleasure seeing CNN reach out to the community.

Much respect.

October 2, 2009 at 1:57 pm |
  9. Pat Duffy

"If you want to be part of the pitch get in touch with us here or tweet us @KyraCNN." does not provide a link for the "OR".

I tried emailing kyraphillips@cnn.com and it failed "not known".

Please tell me how to send my info to Kyra for her 30 second spot? I do not "tweet"

October 2, 2009 at 2:12 pm |
  10. Mrs. Eileen G. Curras widow to Hernandez (WWII)

I am glad that CNN gave a chance to Justin Drezner. He is just a sample of a large community that should not be forgotten. Persons with Disabilities compose now a significant figure that do not want to be left out and the want to work. Have you considered the demographics? Justin Drezner is just a sample of a large community and in Puerto Rico this community is more than 24% of the population.

October 2, 2009 at 8:51 pm |