Today on CNN Newsroom

October 22nd, 2009

Got H1N1 Questions?

In our 1pm eastern hour a doctor will join us to answer your questions about H1N1 flu.

If you have questions about the vaccine or how to protect yourself or your family from the disease leave a comment here or you can tweet us
@KyraCNN.

Filed under: Kyra Phillips
  1. Amy DeLoach

Last night, my 14 year old son was diagnosed with the swine flu even though the test came back negative. The Dr. commented that many test were false/positive. His symptoms ... high fever, cough, sore throat indicate the flu. My question, the tamiflu informational sheet says to start the medication if you have been exposed. Why can't I get a dr to prescribe it.? Thank you.

October 22, 2009 at 12:12 pm |
  2. armystngsoldier

Exactly how serious does the H1N1(swine flu) pandemic compare to when the flu hit in the early 1900's, and the swine flu in the 70's? Will this be something that will have to deal with to this measure every year?

October 22, 2009 at 12:13 pm |
  3. tim

What is the best thing to do after you get H1N1?

October 22, 2009 at 12:14 pm |
  4. Andrew

I'm not that worried at all about the swine flu, or h1n1, but my high school has a lot of people out of school with h1n1. A lot of these people i know with h1n1 say it sucks, but they don't say they felt like it was really serious. is this just a different strain of the virus than mexico city had, or was it always more of a mild virus and the residents of mexico city just didn't have the proper prevention & hygiene?

October 22, 2009 at 12:14 pm |
  5. Tim

How many deaths have been attributed to H1N1 in the US? There seems to be a group with conspiracy tendencies that is saying all flu mortalities are included in the statistics.

October 22, 2009 at 12:14 pm |
  6. michael armstrong sr. TX.

The CDC has predicted that 50% of the American population will contract H1 N1 flu what is the percentage of deaths do they predict from the 50% and does the prediction still set at 50% .

October 22, 2009 at 12:17 pm |
  7. Earsel

prevent you from

Will taking tammi flu early prevent you from getting the flu.

October 22, 2009 at 12:17 pm |
  8. Sally Larsen

While in basic training in 1957 we were all given shots for the Asian flu and I got extremely sick and delirous. Does that shot make me immuned and was the Asian flu the same as Swine Flu?? thanks sally

October 22, 2009 at 12:17 pm |
  9. Jose

Hi,

I was watching the CNN Live news this morning and wanted to hear if the H1N1 vaccine is safe, what tests have been done, what are the side effects, are the additives dangerous. Unfortunately this information was not provided which was disappointing.

Has president Obama's children taken the vaccination, if not, do they have plans to vaccinate their children?

October 22, 2009 at 12:18 pm |
  10. Laurie

Vaccinations are being offered at my child's school. What does the doctor recommend If your child already has the flu but it was not confirmed as H1N1. Is there any point (or harm) in receiving a vaccination if my 12-year-old is still exhibiting symptoms–fever is down but he is still achy and coughing.

October 22, 2009 at 12:21 pm |
  11. michael armstrong sr. TX.

If the vaccine is safe then why are hospital workers fighting the injection do they know something we dont.

October 22, 2009 at 12:22 pm |
  12. Heather in Chevy, Chase, MD

My children have had the flu this week. They were not tested, but the pediatrician said that we should assume it is Influenza A – as their symptoms were consistent with that diagnosis.

As such, should I skip having them get the H1N1 vaccine? If I have them get the vaccine, when available, is there any danger in giving it to them if they have already had H1N1?

October 22, 2009 at 1:00 pm |
  13. ken

I'm 57 years old, male with type 2 diabetes and readily prone towards cold and flu. I work, part-time, as a child care worker with 7 to 9 year olds. Should I consider getting an H1N1 shot?

October 22, 2009 at 1:10 pm |
  14. Lisa MacAllister

Everyone I know is now opening doors with their sleeves. We think we are avoiding germs. How long can bacteria live on fabric?

October 22, 2009 at 1:11 pm |
  15. Dan Fleury

If I get the vaccine, can I still carry and transmit the germs of the H1N1?

October 22, 2009 at 1:13 pm |
  16. Maggie

We have a 4 yr old in preschool that we are thinking about taking out of preschool to avoid any possible risks of her getting the h1n1 virus. Do you think that this is a good idea.

October 22, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  17. cindy

In addition to frequent handwashing, would it not be helpful to use masks when in public such as shopping, school, airplanes etc. whether you have swine flu or you are just hoping to avoid it?

If so, what type of masks and why are people not already doing this as a precautionary measure?

October 22, 2009 at 1:45 pm |
  18. Vaughn

Would it be wise to remove a 4 year old from preschool as a precautionary measure because the child will not be vaccinated?

October 22, 2009 at 1:47 pm |
  19. Bob E

I work in a correctional facility and all the offenders are given their
    flu shots at no cost, but the employees are not offered the flu shots. why is it that people that are in our prisons are given better medical care than all these people standing in lines trying to get the shots for themselves or their families.

October 22, 2009 at 2:14 pm |
  20. Shannon

Your doctor admitted the vaccine contains mercury. Then said he is not at all concerned about that. What corporation paid him to say he's not concerned? Only people that believe the media hype about swine flu that's spoonfed to us will get this shot.

October 22, 2009 at 2:40 pm |
  21. Isabelle

Hello CNN,
    I would like to know if you can get the swine flu more than once. Common sense tells me yes, however, this vaccine deal has confused me. I had the swine flu this past August, complete with 103 ++ fever, cough, severe body aches and I could not even touch my skin!
    When I finally allowed my husband to take me to the doctor, three days later, I was told that I did have swine flu, it was too late for me to take Tamiflu, since I battled it off on my own with nothing but cough/cold medicine. I finished off this swine flu experience with the proverbial pneumonia. Finally, after a visit to a pulmonary doc, a z-pack, and about 2 weeks + of my life, i was done with the oink, oink flu.
    I am very concerned that I may be able to catch this again. I'm tough, but not that tough!
    Am I more resssistant to the swine flu, immune, or just as susceptible as eveyone else?
    Confused but hopeful, in Miami.

Izzy

October 22, 2009 at 2:40 pm |
  22. Cathy

My daughters' had the flu last week (high fever, headaches, extreemly runny nose, slight sore throat & little nausia – no body aches ). The doctor would not see them, but told us that it is the swine flu because that is the only flu they are seeing in this area (Hershey Pa.) Because we were never tested to confirm this, should we still get our daughters' the H1N1 vaccine? Will it hurt my them to do so, and can they get the swine flu again once (if) they've had it? Please advise. Thanks for addressing my questions. 🙂

October 23, 2009 at 1:24 pm |
  23. claudia good

What are the risks involved with getting the H1 N1 vaccine to a healthy family ages 8-49.Has this drug been fully tested and safe?

If I choose not to vaccinate my family am I putting them at a greater health risk if we contract the swine flu.

October 23, 2009 at 1:26 pm |
  24. Michael F. Adams

I know someone who cannot take the flu shot and if that person just happen to catch the few by not taken the shot they would get a very mild case but the down side to this is that they could have the flu to which they are totally unaware that they have it and to which they may never get sick or even have a fever yet they may have sinus or ear drainage that can prolong for month (3 or more month). if no treated and sometime even with treatment to which it still does not stop the drainage when this happen it usually leads to a very mild cause of the flu or the tell end of the flu that he had and did not know he had. Yet if this person take the shot that within a week of the shot he will get a worst case in which this person has to be quarantine because he took the shot. Therefore what is this person to do to make sure that they do not give it to someone else when he has no idea that he even has the flu,

October 23, 2009 at 2:11 pm |
  25. jangelee

Sence the vaccine is just been made what's the long term effect

October 23, 2009 at 2:57 pm |
  26. Beth Sour

How long do symptoms for H1N1 typically last? Once the symptoms pass, will the recovering person still be infectious?

October 26, 2009 at 9:36 am |