Today on CNN Newsroom

November 8th, 2009

House Passes Health Reform Bill: Your thoughts

The House narrowly passed landmark health care legislation last night, making it the biggest expansion of health care coverage since Medicare was created more than 40 years ago.

Republicans say the House bill will add to the country's mounting debt. Democrats have said it will cut the deficit by $104 billion over 10 years.

What do you think of the House passing health reform? Leave your comments here. We may use some of them this morning in the CNN Newsroom.

Post by:
Filed under: CNN Newsroom
  1. Stephen Marr

I think this has been a banner year and what a step forward for our countrymen! To progress as a people we depend on strides like this one to keep us moving forward. What a differnce this President and Congress has made. God bless them all.

November 8, 2009 at 5:28 am |
  2. Peggy

Boenher said, before the vote, that there would be a $250,000 fine and jail time for people who did not have health insurance if the bill passed. The reporters let that go and didn't correct the information. CNN should set the record start when people lie or present misinformation on camera. If you don't, the listeners get incorrect information. CNN presents news....and to me that should be factual information that sets the record straight. Shame on you.

November 8, 2009 at 5:56 am |
  3. James Hugh Wright Sr

There are certain days in history that you will remember forever. Such as the assassination of President Kennedy or 9/11. Yesterday, November 7th, will be a day that you, your children and many generations to come will always remember. 11/7, the day our elected officials made the most disastrous decision every in the history of this country. In one swift vote the House of Representatives pushed the USA to the edge of becoming a Socialistic nation ruled by a dictator.

GOD help America.

November 8, 2009 at 6:27 am |
  4. Pamela T., Virginia

Once ordinary Americans realize what this bill is going to cost (and not just in money) the euphoria will evaporate like acetone. This bill represents the biggest act of class warfare (primarily against the elderly) ever perpetrated. And to think it's our Congress that has done it to us. I never thought I see a day so terrible.

November 8, 2009 at 6:29 am |
  5. Steve Leonard

If I wanted to live in a Socialist country I would move to one with a LOWER cost of living. Oh wait, I get Social Secuirty in two years. Plenty of time to move to Latin America. Just like they chased jobs overseas...they're chasing me there too.

November 8, 2009 at 6:29 am |
  6. Debbi Coubrough

I am so relieved that finally we will see some much needed healthcare reform. I am not raising my voice at meetings or rallies, but rather a hardworking wife/mother/grandmother hoping that this bill passes the Senate and we finally get the healthcare reform needed for all Americans to have healthcare when needed, not just financially privileged ones. Thank you, thank you to all who voted for this bill to pass in the House. You have done what is right for Americans across our country, not just for your personal short-term political gain.

November 8, 2009 at 6:35 am |
  7. robin

SO HAPPY BUT IT'S THE FIRST STEP. I KNOW SOME REPUBLICANS WILL FIND A WAY TO SABOTAGE THIS FROM MOVING FORWARD. I'M ON MY GUARD AND READY TO HELP THIS BILL PASS.

November 8, 2009 at 6:38 am |
  8. wilhelmina

This is a thumbs up!!
    I am writing for all those without computers or internet service who would like to say "thank you." This is a wonderful start to passing much needed Healthcare Reform. I suspect the insurance companies will be all but broke by the time this is over. They are spending a furtune on just the scare ads alone.

November 8, 2009 at 6:42 am |
  9. Freddie Jimenez

Proof that the Rep is the party of no just take a look at the vote after the health plan, a REP VOTED NO on the bill in honor of military then it was fix, he or she had the finger stock in the NO key!!

November 8, 2009 at 6:44 am |
  10. Mike Sebahar

It is great moment in US history. This is the first administration I have been proud of in my life. Special interests (drug companies, insurance companies) could still sabotage this with the help of the do nothing/old ideas (torte reform, please?) republicans. We need to be more aggressive this is not over.

November 8, 2009 at 6:50 am |
  11. jim vicalvi

I believe that I am like to many Americans with very little or no faith in the people that are, supposedly, running this country. Whether or not Democrat, Republican or whatever They are bringing this great country closer to ruin every day. If you want jobs back here just put a 125% tax on the profits of companies that outsource work to other countries. Never happen tho. It would reduce the amount of money that they receive from these same companies. From the Supreme Court on down the courts are selling out America to the special interest groups.

November 8, 2009 at 6:54 am |
  12. CapnFrank

Congratulations America. We now have what amounts to the largest (and soon to be the most corrupt ?) WPA project in history. We'll never recover from this mistake.

November 8, 2009 at 6:55 am |
  13. Richard Vaughan

I can't believe that Republican Representatives are hinting to their conservative Christaian constituants that this bill is inspired by the devil with phrases like "God has a plan"! I HOPE that the PUBLIC isn't duped by these NO SAYERS. There is NOTHING more important to the well being of the American People as healthcare reform. I hope the NO SAYERS get our NO in the next election.

November 8, 2009 at 7:01 am |
  14. blagovichian politics on a national level

If health care is a right as democrats who voted for the house bill say it is .... Why does the government have the right to force the individual to choose a plan ? If government is protecting my right to healthcare why did it just choose to limit my expression of that right by limiting the choices in which plans I choose and which benefits on yearly basis my right includes. The sheer hubris of this congress and the individuals who voted for this deal is unprecedented.

This bill is an unprecedented power grab in which the underlying principle is to average the overall total us health care costs to every citizen resulting in higher costs to all middle class and upper class citizens and to control the upper limits of that average by limiting or marginalizing services.
    Resources are limited you can either cut utilization , cut costs of services ( which this bill does nothing about ) , or average the costs to a greater number of individuals

You need a government plan to compete with the insurance industry... Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae did wonders to the housing market.

The government did wonders in the H1N1 immunization distribution AIG, Citigroup, New York stock exchange now they feel they are best suited to *** FAIRLY *** determine what my care is ???

The plan is deficit neutral ... The government wasn't able to accurately estimate the costs and utilization and trickle down effects for a small and very specific program - Cash for Clunkers but they can apparently accurately estimate the cost of a complete overhaul of something as complex as health care and the actual utilization of services ...

The plan only raises taxes on individuals making 500,000 - Look at the financial situation in Illinois. The state is broke, can't pay it's bill, medicaid reimbursements are slow pay and low pay , months behind and at a rate below the actual costs of services. Lots of people with insurance but can't get access to health care because the state can't pay its bills. Insurance hasn't been the answer.Many individuals have insurance (and no access to care) and they don't qualify for the assistance many drug companies offer. These unfunded mandates will raise everyone's taxes in Illinois...

In Illinois our notorious Blagojevich promised everything to everyone to secure and maintain his position which created one giant bottleneck in government .Everyone was determined to get their share. Then he would pick and choose which promises to fulfill because, well resources are limited ,and anyone who disagreed with his choices of distribution were fundamentally against the issue.
    Sound Familiar

November 8, 2009 at 7:02 am |
  15. James P

There is nothing bipartisian what-so-ever about this bill. Obama spewed promises about bringing the country together and how he promised to always maintain a bipartisian dialogue. Sadly he spouted the only rethoric that would get a man with no experience, no accomplishments and no REALISTIC vision for the United States. Nancy Pelosi and the rest of the them planned in a vacuum and made no effort to listen to any other ideas or thoughts even those within her own party. Pelosi is smart though. Time was running out. She can see that the honeymoon is over and the people and lawmakers of the United States are seeing the real ultra-liberal path the Democratic Party wants to lead us down. If the bill was not voted on and passed now, it never would. The ability to ride the wave of Obama's election is surely passing. Let us hope they will not pass a bill that is so dividing to our nation again.

November 8, 2009 at 7:04 am |
  16. SJ Ponder

The passage of a 2000 page health bill frightens me. Section 1302 moves Medicare from fee-for-service and us choosing what doctor to see to a "Medical Home." I have managed to stay out of an HMO and now the government will force this on me. How long is each one of these appointments going to take to get to the specialist one needs?

A friend of mine was in surgery three weeks after unexplained bleeding and the cancer was caught early enough that no chemotherapy was needed. That does not happen in the countries that have government run health care.

According to section 399V (p. 1422) Medicare funding will be slashed and there will be grants to community entities with NO REQUIRED qualifications besides "documented community activity and experience with community healthcare workers." Frightening!

Section 224 (p. 118) provides that the Secretary of Health and Human Services will decide what a "quallifed plan" covers and how much you will be legally required to pay for it. Patients are individuals, not one size fits all. The blue pill may work for several people, but only the red one will work for others.

Section 303 (pp. 167 – 168) "Choices" are between different co-pays and deductibles, but we will have to enroll in the same plan regardless of whether the government or our employers take care of the bill.

What will happen to our pre-tax health accounts?

New taxes are not indexed to inflation, so just like the AMT more and more of us will be caught in new taxes as the years go by.

Where is the legal reform? Where is the ability to choose from insurance companies across state lines just like our congress can choose? Why do they receive around 200 choices while we, their constituents, have to choose plans within our states? Frightening!!

November 8, 2009 at 7:05 am |
  17. Donna

I am all for a health plan, my concern is this. I am unemployed, have no unemployment benefits as yet and have very little money coming in. No even enough to pay my rent, I have no way to pay for insurance if and when it becomes mandatory but need it for pre-existing conditons and other health issues. What am I going to have to pay and HOW am I supposed to pay for it?

November 8, 2009 at 7:06 am |
  18. blagovichian politics on a national level

The government is the last line of protection, a safety net for individuals in the greatest need. Now that the government is an active player in health care where will we turn when we are stuck in the morass of beaurocracy created by this plan ?

November 8, 2009 at 7:10 am |
  19. d. pETERSON

Dear Bettty, I understand you are interviewing Repr. Cao at twenty after. Please do not glorify the GOP. He waited to vote, and could have voted Dem or Repub. His was the 219th Vote so he waited to see if the Dems or GOP would be victorious. D. Peterson

November 8, 2009 at 7:11 am |
  20. Shari

Kudos to Cao. I am sure he knew when he cast his vote that he would become a household name. But taking on the wrath of the GOP still took some guts. I personally think all house members should follow the wishes of the people they represent, even when they disagree.

November 8, 2009 at 7:12 am |
  21. Ulysses

T.J.,

What are you, a Republican? Why are you so hung up on the bipartisan statement. If you want to be technical, the vote was bipartisan. Would you call 1.001 a whole number?

Ulysses

November 8, 2009 at 7:14 am |
  22. JustMe

It really gets me those on either side of a issue that use the "We the people" argument acting like everyone is on one side or the other of the health care reform or other issues. There is CLEARLY people on BOTH sides of this and everyone needs to stop acting like everyone is on one side or the other!!! The ONLY thing I am against in the bill is forcing others to get Insurance when they may NOT be able to afford it. Remember that is the reason many people do not have health Insurance to start with is they can't afford it, duh!!! And everyone has different financial needs so unless it is definitely wealthy people NO ONE should be forced to pay for it and then go to jail if they don't. I would like more conversation just about that part of the bill!!! JustMe in NC

November 8, 2009 at 7:23 am |
  23. cheryl

TJ, You shouldn't be questioning why the Democrates are celebrating the bipartisan vote of one Republican, but why only one Republican voted to help the American people. Congress sure does a good job of helping BIG business and their own interest but NOT the little guy. The lack of their votes is shameful!! And they wonder why their approval rating is so low?

November 8, 2009 at 7:25 am |
  24. D. A. Peterson

Dear Betty/ TJ

I hope Repr. Gao is iltellectually honest. After all, he is a member ot the GOP who lost! He waited until a house majority of votes was reached of 218 BEFORE he cast his vote. d. p.

November 8, 2009 at 7:25 am |
  25. Clyde Shaw

History was made last night and I thankful that CNN followed this important story in real time.

I am happy for the millions of US citizens who will be able to receive health care now. Shame on all the Congressmen and Congresswomen who attempted to deny America of this "right", especially when the tax dollars, of even the poorest of us go to pay for their comprehensive health plan. What were they thinking?

Clyde Shaw
    Winchester, VA

November 8, 2009 at 7:28 am |
  26. joyce stamatacos

I find the double talk in D.C., at all levels, frustrating. SSA will not issue COLA increases to social security recipients in 2010, and yet healthcare insurance companies are permitted to raise premiums by as much as 100%.

November 8, 2009 at 7:29 am |
  27. Soldier19985

I am elated for the American People, while being disheartedby by this list.:
    The House Passes Health-care Bill
    A look at how members of the U.S. House of Representatives voted:
    which includes, Vote, Member, Party, State, Campaign contributions from health industry, Percent in district without insurance.

Which tells me the fight is still on for this historic time. Good going House for all the hard work I always thouhgt every America should be allowed the same quaility of care as federal, seniors and military get and finally we are getting there. Ted would be proud. Yes We Can.

November 8, 2009 at 7:33 am |
  28. Dana

Thank you, Democrats. Now the less represented and unable Americans will not have to deal with the off- the-chart profit insurance companies and inflated pharmacuetical giants to get the needed health care that they need. AMA and AARP have stated that health reform has been a long time coming. With the success of the health reform, the Repubs can keep their mouths shut because of their NO Support to the less fortunate Americans. I will pay my share to support the American who needs health care. Do not be selfish. Americans, we must sacrifice to take care of our own. The Dems care about the people, the Repubs care about corporations.

November 8, 2009 at 7:38 am |
  29. Theresa

Praise to all those members of congress who had the courage to pass this bill. Again the vote tells all: the Republican party is snubbing their noses at the White House and are all out against all bills that do not fit their corrupt agenda's. I only wish they had to pay $2000.00 per month for Cobra coverage that I have had to do. The whole system is in need of drastic reform not just fixing a system that has not worked for well for a long time. Hopefully this will be the beginning of taking down insurance companies who have at the expense of middle america made the current system tainted. I applaud those members of congress who have the determination to find solutions vs those who hide behind a party that continues to allow big business and lobbiest's to fill their pockets at the expense of Main Street America. They need to take off the darkened glasses and see what is really happening.

Wisconsin Mom

November 8, 2009 at 7:39 am |
  30. AJ Dobie

We the people dont know all the details about the new health bill, but I DO know that it couldnt stay the way it was. For the past several years, the drug companies , insurance companies and large corporations who pay premiums have been protected by legislation at the publics expense. Lobbiests and campaign coffers hav...e ensured that the added expenses should be born by the little guy .I'm going broke because my husband has Alzheimers . I may not be able to buy my OWN prescriptions . I hope the new laws help me. Time will tell .Read More

November 8, 2009 at 7:41 am |
  31. Ralph

I think anyone that supported this bill should be voted out of office. If they do not scrutinize the wasted billions on Medicare and Medicaid, why is this an improvement. The government does not need another health care program that will become nothing more than wasting taxpayer funding.

November 8, 2009 at 7:49 am |
  32. Randal Bean

I'm a graduate of the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville. Football coach Houston Nutt is a relative of my late stepfather. I'm a former member of a Baptist church where professional con-artist Mike Huckabee was the pastor. Arkieland governor Mike Beebe should be kicked out of the Democratic party because of his opposition to an improved government alternative to corporate capitalist health insurance. – Randal Bean, Pine Bluff, Arkansas.

November 8, 2009 at 7:55 am |
  33. Steve

Finally! After almost 100 years of all talk, Americans might eventually get the Health Care they deserves being the richest country on the Earth no matter how close the vote. All those who are complaining have no clue what's in the bill and I am sure have not read even one page, are just plain ignorant. With almost 2000 pages and months and months of input from just about every one, including those from the Medical and the Insurance field it would be stupid to think there is nothing in the bill that is not worthwhile for the majority of the country.

I congratulate the Democratic party for having the courage to do something for the people and delivering on the promises of the President.

November 8, 2009 at 8:07 am |
  34. Ulysses

Does anyone have a problem with the fact that many Democratic Representatives would not support the Health Care Reform Bill until the Bishops blessed it? Does that mean that if you are not of a certain Religion, you have no Representative to represent you? Please keep your religion out of my politics. NO? Then allow all religious viewpoints into politics.

Ulysses

November 8, 2009 at 8:11 am |
  35. Robert Lake,MI

Wont pass the Senate, thank GOD! Poor people need to learn to do things for themselves! Obama is an enabler! I say to poor people get of them cell phones and high speed internet, ect, before I help you! Why do poor people and I really shouldnt say poor people I mean lazy people think I owe them something! I grew up dirt poor and have earned everything I have, never once did I ask for a handout in which by Obama standards I qualified many times over, but I went without and lived within my means! I suggest all the people feeling sorry for themselves to stop and earn what you want dont expect free handouts because you cant provide for yourself the way you think you ought too! The idea I owe these people anything is ridiculas!

November 8, 2009 at 8:15 am |
  36. Jack

this is a sad day in America when the people that work for us take it upon themselves to completely change how our country is run and think they can force the will of some on us all, why don't all of you that think this is a good idea just move to England and leave us freedom loving True Americans alone

November 8, 2009 at 8:15 am |
  37. Lori a posner

Way to go Cao! I think he is a standup guy, he had great answers, is incredibly well spoken and seems very genuine. The Dems should recruit this guy, I would vote for him!

November 8, 2009 at 8:36 am |
  38. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Fooled the heck out of me if it dont work it can be changed back later but thank God its over this issue was getting older then the man in the moon praise God its over .

November 8, 2009 at 8:37 am |
  39. Robert Lake,MI

Democrats are finding ways for the people who actually pay tax to provide for everyones needs so they can live the way people do that have earned their own way. People are crying they dont have this or that and how its not fair but in fact even the poorest in this country have it far better than actual poor people who live outside the U.S. Liberals in this country want to have the same things rich people have without working for it! Trust me if you actually live within your means and dont try keeping up with the Jones`s most people in this country could afford their own insurance! Add it up, cell phone, internet, car loan, house way too big, designer clothes, Nikes, nights out at the bar, the toy you just had to buy because the neighbors got one, Ipods, Playstations, the list goes on and on! Everyone I know that gets some sort of assistance has all of these things so basically I `m supporting these peoples lifestyles instead of providing the bare necessities, roof over head, clothes on back, and food in your belly! After you get rid of all the extras most people can get by in this country! Welfare and public assistance was set up to help people not enable them! Welfare was set up for people after they have lost everything and theres nothing left then they get the help, thats the way it used to be and most people had a feeling of some sort of pride and only used the system as a last resort! Now people in this country teach their kids from birth that the system is there for them to abuse instead of teaching them to live within their means and not to be subsided by the tax payer!

November 8, 2009 at 8:41 am |
  40. Pardeep Bhatia

BETTY

DO NOT COUGH YET FROM NON EXISTENT H1N1. LOT OF REPUBLICANS ARE COUGHING TOO SINCE LAST NIGHT FROM THE HEALTH CARE REFORM BILL EXCEPT FOR THE LONE LION "CAO"

THE PASSAGE OF THE BILL IS HISTORIC AND IT WILL DEFINITELY BRING A NON-TOXIC BREWS AND REMEDIES FOR OUR "SICK"HEALTH CARE SYSTEM AND THE DESERVING POOR PEOPLE. THE PRICE TAG OF 1.1 TRILLION DOLLLARS TO SUPPORT THE DESRVING ONES WILL BE RECOVERED EVEN IF A FEW OF THEM START BECOMING CREATIVE. WE NEED BEAUTIFUL AND BRIGHT ANCHORS IN THE MEDIA TO ANCHOR AND PIN DOWN THE WEAKNESSES IN OUR SOCIETY AND POLITICAL SYSTEM. CONGRATS FOR HEALTH CARE REFORM

HAPPY PEPPY

November 8, 2009 at 8:41 am |
  41. Robert Lake,MI

Whens is Obama and Pelosi giong to help out the middle class tax payer? We are getting taxed out of this country but it is ok because untold numbers of people are living my lifestyle without earning it! Its called Obamanomics, take from the ones who have earned their way to give to someone who feels they are entitled! Thers no one in this country entitled to anything but paying taxes and dying!

November 8, 2009 at 8:47 am |
  42. Robert Lake,MI

The more we subsidize Americans lifestyles the closer we move to Socalism! A free and democratic society that is self suffient is what this country was founded on! Our forefathers are rolling in their graves with the amount of Socalism being rammed down out throats! The never of Obama and this congress to force me into subsidizing standards of living! I`ve been dirt poor, I`ve been unemployeed, I never at any time ask for a handout! I did something very American, I went without until I could afford not to go without and with no help from the tax payer period! The tax payer is not here to subsidize peoples wants and needs! The tax payer is there for when one has no more options, that means when one has downsized into a smaller home, gotten rid of that car payment, gotten rid of internet, gotten rid of that cell phone, the stuff one does not need to survive then they get help but not before!

November 8, 2009 at 9:00 am |
  43. David

This bill is terrible! Within the 1,900 pages are provisions such as:
    – you - but not ILLEGAL aliens - are FORCED to buy insurance; if you don't, you MUST PAY $1,000's in fines (the bill budgets for $167 million in fines paid to the gov't) and/or go to jail (Nancy Pelosi said so)!

– single taxpayer making $44k needs to pay 17% of salary into premiums; family making $102k pays 20% of household income!

– when you file your taxes, you have to show proof of "enough" insurance coverage!

– HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius ALONE (NOT you, NOT your doctor) will determine if you've bought enough insurance!

– this bill is similar to MA health care plan, which is going bankrupt; even Obama's recent speech in MA, he fails to tout their own health care as being good & right!

– they passed a bill which agrees to gov't plans which haven't yet been written!!

– they THINK that there will be 3 plans of some sort offered that will all have the same benefits; the only difference is premiums & deductibles.

– by using tax $'s to compete against & undercut private insurance companies, the private companies will in 5-yrs time go out of business, thereby reducing taxes paid to gov't & gov't will RAISE premiums to cover for the shortfall!!

– the best solutions - tort reform & allowing cross-state competition of private insurance - aren't mentioned in bill!

November 8, 2009 at 9:06 am |
  44. Shirley Taylor

It was popular opinion that permitted slavery, denied citizens of this country the right to vote, enable school segregation and Jim Crow laws. In each of these circumstances, the President and elected officials had to take measures to ensure that the unalienable and constitutional rights of all its citizens were upheld. Even though they weren't the most popular thing to do – it was the right thing to do. And so it is with access to affordable healthcare for all Americans.

November 8, 2009 at 9:30 am |
  45. emmymason @twitter

Betty,TJ..always enjoy the best anchors on TV.....Also i am very pleased the Healthcare Bill passed..Also very disgruntled my Congressman Ben Chandler voted No

November 8, 2009 at 9:32 am |
  46. Marcus

I love that they passed health care reform last night in the house, but I do not like the provision on abortion. I think it reaches too far when it stops women from making a decision that is up to them, and if they do have to pay for private coverage through the exchange the government should not be able to cut abortion coverage out of the plan they purchase. I hope that if the Senate passes their health care bill that provision is left out, so when both bills go into conference they could remove that amendment. Current law would have prohibited it from the public plan which is precedent, but taking it away from women who would still have to purchase a private plan will make a lot of middle and low-income women to do desperate things that will endanger them.

November 8, 2009 at 9:47 am |
  47. TJ in FL

I hear a lot of complaining from people who don't want to help out those less fortunate or people who think the country is moving to socialism but everyone skipped over a real concern for many Americans. Donna asked the question "What am I going to have to pay and HOW am I supposed to pay for it?" She's unemployed and can't make ends meet, so how does she afford mandatory health care...well the good news is that there is an exemption for those who can't afford the premiums, and better yet, there is the possiblilty of qualifying for the public option to get basic coverage until she finds employment with healthcare benefits...I'm thankful this has come when it did. We just received notice that our employer-provided healthcare is increasing 15% and our benefits are decreasing, all because as a company we were too sick last year! And you don't thnk we need reform?

November 8, 2009 at 10:38 am |
  48. Beth Savarese

I am very proud of my reprdsentative, Ben Chandler, for his fair, intelligent and non-partisan vote of 'no' on the health care reform bill. We need more congresspeople of both parties who vote with their brain and conscience,

November 8, 2009 at 10:49 am |
  49. Richard Vienneau

What I saw I watched in total disgust. Today's polictical theater is just that a theater of comedians. Boenher's bill was an example of today's politics; it was voted yea-100% by the r's and nea 100% by the d's. This is what I call bye -bye- bipartisan. I have no answer; toss the bums out or vote independant. It is a sham that jerks like Boenher can not say anything positive about "THEIR" president. We have dem's today because of the mess the r's did in the previous 10 years.

I applaud president Barack Obama for his efforts; for his consistent efforts to get things done and he will be know as the president that reformed health care. It is really a shame that only "1" republican voted for the health care bill

November 8, 2009 at 11:16 am |
  50. Gary

The house vote was very disappointing, I have nothing in this dog fight with the exception of the deficit my children and myself will have to pay back, the dollar I have will be worth even less and the health care I have will be less efficient.
    It is just unbelievable that the people we send to Washington do not pay attention to what we want. It is clear that the American public by far is not for this bill. The legitimate polls bear this out 60% are against 40% are for this bill ( 60% of the for side don't have any skin in the game, they are the parasites of our systems whether welfare or heath care or any other give away programs) Pelosi and her group are so anti American it is disgusting, she was giddy when she announced the vote totals. You folks from California please vote her and Boxer out on their duffs when you get a chance.
    OK again, why is it that they are not going to participate in the health care they are going to subject us to????
    America, please remember these people that push this bill on us in 2010 and send them home.

November 8, 2009 at 11:22 am |
  51. Charles Kopack

Congrats, not only for the passage of the bill, but also a vote against the "NAY" (Replublican) party. Now if only the nay sayers in the Senate will also pass it.

I am getting thouroughly sick an tired of all of the arguments and disinformation coming out of Washington.

Some are talking about the "cost" of this reform. But, what about the cost of covering people without health insurance? Who is going to pay their costs, or do the Republicans think that they should do without care?

Good for the house of representatives! Let's just hope that the senate has the morale courage to get off its rear end and vote for it also.

November 8, 2009 at 11:37 am |
  52. Lois Langtry

Is it any wonder voters are disgusted with of our Congressional representatives when member after member goes on national news shows and note the health care bill passed the House by a vote of 220 to 215 then states the measure passed by only 2 votes? Is this some kind of new math, Washington spin or do our representatives really think the vast majority of voters are too stupid to notice?

November 8, 2009 at 11:51 am |
  53. ken

The new health care bill will allow persons making $33,050 per year to get medicaid which is free health care. This is a welfare bill. The new bill will also give more money to doctors, hospitals, and insurance companies. This is a payoff fo the health care industry. These are persons who already make high incomes.
    The thing is it will NOT do is reduce premiums for the 85% of the currently insured. Premiums need to be frozen immediately and rolled back in 2013 for persons making over $33,050 per year. Anything short of this makes the bill wortless to the working class.

November 8, 2009 at 11:54 am |
  54. jim vicalvi

Well, Lois Langtry, it did actually pass by 2 votes. 218 votes were needed for a majority. Learn what the rules are.

November 8, 2009 at 12:25 pm |
  55. imtiazkhan

finally our law makers are getting off their pompous behinds, posing as gods on Mt.Olympus and doing work for the common American.
    However would somebody explain as to what this bill really do for the uninsured who do not have sufficient income to afford insurance?

November 8, 2009 at 1:00 pm |
  56. ernie orlando, fl

My only conceren about this bill is for people age 65 and older. They are not covered and medicare is almost broke. So what are they to do?

November 8, 2009 at 2:49 pm |
  57. AJ Dobie

T.J. and Betty . Please show the propoganda clip from the Reagan administration about Medicare . It's so dramatic and disgustingly untrue that it's makes me laugh now.
    The country was 'turning socialist" and going to ruin . The exact same lies and misinformation circulating today . I would have been devistated without both Medicare and social security . Although I worked full time my entire life and paid taxes, I wasn't well off . Neither did I quailfy for assistance. I was middle income. My taxes paid for the health care of everyone who went to a doctor or local hospital for care who couldnt pay . People worry about what the bill will cost . You already pay some elses way !! Wake up.
    Remember forced car insurance ? The same people complained it descriminated against the poor . Yet they survived. I have had insurance my whole life. I paid for it . They (Insurance companies pay nothing for dementia . Now I could be on the street in a few years because the uncovered costs of my husbands desease is taking all of our funds. Skilled nursing for Alzheimers averages $150. to $200. a day .
    Dont tell me changes dont need to be made . I followed the rules.

November 8, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  58. Ann Carlson

Hopefully the senior congressmen, those in the Senate, will have better sense and will protect us from the beginning of socialism in this great country. Why can't you all see this man BO has a socialist background, he keeps company with people who believe in communism, socializm, he hasn't been transparent and open to the American people as other presidents have because he has so much to hide. I'm not sure there is even any evidence he actually graduated from Columbia or Harvard since he wouldn't show his records there.
    He isn't an American in the true sense of the word because he didn't grow up here. I'm not sure how much of his life was actually in the United States but his loyalties to our way of life are non existent. He is all talk, but his actions show him to be anything but a loyal American. Who does he think he is apologizing to the rest of the world for us. What did we do to the rest of the world but loose millions of lives fighting their nations wars, protecting their poor and underprivileged and pour a cazillion dollars into third world countries.
    That doesn't sound like anything we need to apologize for to me. I know there are a lot of people in the world who are very grateful to this country and I don't want to say anything against them. It's Obama that needs to be aware what we have done and be proud like any other American is for what this country has given the world. He makes me
    vomitus just to think he represents our country. I wish to heaven he was white so this wouldn't get all clouded by racism. I for sure could care less was his race is but I care 100% about his loyalty to this country or rather his lack of it. This bill is a reflection of the worst kind of bullying we've ever seen. First our Health Care, then our Financial well being, then our Security, and we won't have anything left to object with. This is the dumbest move any congress has ever pulled. I appeal to all of you out there please don't vote one of these 215 representatives back to ruin anything else. It's unfortunate it takes so long to get rid of them. Thanks I got a lot off my chest.

November 8, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  59. Amy - Illinois

I find it deeply disturbing that Individuals are staking their claim to history without the test of time. Please bear in mind the infamous and the famous are recognized equally for their contribution to history. To pass any bill for the sake of history is a dangerous and selfish. Quite frankly I believe time will prove this mess of government bureaucracy will be know in history for the former and not the latter. To stake that claim before the time test is a claim of notoriety - notorious.

I watched the debate and the vote on c-span last night in disgust for the display of hypocrisy. Most telling was the very emotional arguments about the Stupak amendment. A large contingent of house women were incensed that abortion would not be a medical benefit...How dare the GOVERNMENT limit what is an emotional and most personal decision between a woman and her doctor ....HELLO !!!!!!!! YOUR HIPOCRACY IS SHOWING ..... That's just what they plan to tell every citizen of the united states on a yearly basis by an all powerful bureaucrat. We may cover or allow what is a most person decision between a citizen and their doctor

If Health Care is a right to guaranteed then isn't it my right to determine what and how I express that right. It seems ironic that to guarantee everyone else's right congress takes away a large portion of citizens rights away and limits my choices, and will eventually control my treatment if this bill comes to fruition.

Freedom of Speech is a right but I don't expect the government to Guarantee an EQUIVALENT voice and platform or a guaranteed minimum platform.... If so sign me up for my daily time on CNN equivalent to what you two have.

Yes we need health care reform - The work that congress has put in should be an expectation from every citizen in the United State not an extraordinary event. If congress is unwilling to put fourth an effort on a daily basis just like your boss at your job expects you to do we have a responsibility to vote them out of office and not congratulate them. The truth always lies in between keep working and get it right

November 8, 2009 at 5:37 pm |
  60. Jim T

It would be interesting to know how much each representative and senator received from lobbyists associated with healthcare and insurance companies so that they would fight the healthcare bill and its contents.

November 8, 2009 at 6:43 pm |
  61. Brigitte S

Hurray, it's good to see people in government actually do care and
    can make decision for the majority of all Americans.
    Soon, everybody should be able to receive affordable healthcare.
    The greatest Medical system in the World can only benefit me, if I, and not only privileged people, can afford it. If everybody participates the
    premiums will go down. It wasn't a bipartisan vote, but did the previous administration care about bipartisan?
    I was raised in a country with socialized medicine and I had never a
    worry in the World wether I could afford to see a doctor, but now I barely ever go and I have insurance, still can't afford to go enough.
    Better to be a Socialist than a greedy Capitalist.
    Changes can make things better, but not saying No.
    Things will work out.
    Thanks government you have really earned your pay.

November 9, 2009 at 10:40 am |
  62. dennis linville

The sad thing about the health bill is republicans,for the most part,support anti-abortion laws but so easily dismiss human life when it comes to the basic right to live.
    215 elected officials in the house seem to feel we as Americans dont deserve access to basic health care. This is an issue that an injury or loss of income can easily change your position.2,000 pages,There is no dought we need hip boots to even read it but for those Americans that have been left for dead,we dont have a lot of choice but to hope the majority feel we have a right to live.
    This opinion is coming from a former business owner,a taxpayer and one who paid many years for insurance but never used it. I was rushed to the hospital for emergency surgery,insurance refused to pay and I was sent home to die.Because i did own my business i was able to raise the money and had the surgery but left ruined. my wife went to work so we could have insurance.she only brought home approx 1,100 a month but we were able to once again get insurance at the cost of 844 dollars a month(my share was 795 dollars a month alone.After 2 years of she eating at work and we eating one meal a day I went to the dr and our insurance declaired it to be a pre existing condition.we dropped me from her insurance since they had no intention of covering me anyway and we had other bills to pay,bought me a burrial policy and waiting out what time i have left.
    For those who were lucky enough to make out well in life,Im very happy for you and I too had the American dream within my grasp at one time so I know it is hard but to ask for a chance to live is that really such a bad thing?

November 9, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  63. Tony - Lafayette, LA

I doubt that there will be any real reform, being that those voting are among the wealthy, and the healthier the poor are the more difficult they are to control (read: own). It's the same reason we'll never have a good educational system in the U.S. in my lifetime. Healthcare votes are really votes on slavery.

November 9, 2009 at 11:56 am |
  64. Darrien

Extra Extra read all about it.
    The House finally had the guts to see that health care system that we have in 2009 is broken and need to be reform, they finally had the insight to finally put "WE THE PEOPLE" ahead of there own interest.
    Now it up to the Senators to take the finally step and put there stamp of approval and do one for the "SKIPPER our President Obama."
    America we the people will have Health care reform. SOON 🙂

November 9, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  65. Hannah

It maybe a historic bill, but for which reasons? Because it turns its back on the women of this country? Because it sends the message that our government, a secular, government is too cowardly to support slightly controversial operations? If a sex change operation can be covered by insurance, why can't abortion?
    I understand that abortion is not an option for many people, myself among them, due to religious beliefs. But the government's place is not to support religiously founded opinions. There is no secular reason a woman in this country should not be able to have a safe abortion in a clinical setting. The same goes for gay marriages. There is no secular reason they should not be a recognized couple by the government.
    There is no excuse for telling our young women that the only way they are valuable to this society is through the children they bear. We are a secular government. Start acting like it.

November 10, 2009 at 12:01 am |
  66. dennis linville

Hannah i do agree with most of what you post but in reality the abortion issue is being used as a tool. the real issue is these politicians are recieving millions by the insurance companies to deny us health care.
    Tonight a mass murderer will be put to death but since he has been in prison he has enjoyed health care. yes,murderers,rapist and child molesters have health care but Politicans(republicans mainly) want to hand down a death sentence to 47 million Americans whos only crime was not being successful enough to afford health care.

November 10, 2009 at 9:38 am |
  67. Canam

This is a way for the socialist administration to control our lives. Just like our traitor president refuses to call the Fort Hood terrorist a terrorist.

November 10, 2009 at 1:01 pm |
  68. Bob

I think this is a travesty of government using its powers to negate what the public wants. Somehow The American governmental system has broken-down and politicians are forgetting that they are elected to serve the poeple: the people are not here to serve the wishes of an administration with an agenda that contradicts the people's wants and needs. I think President Obama (with all due respect) is a megalomaniac that cannot except the people do not want what "he thinks is best for the people," and he has become single-mindedly focused on this trillion-dollar atrocity to the detriment of other more urgent requirements. He should be focusing on the 10.2% unemployment rate, our economic woes, and stop trying to socialize everything from health-care, to the auto industry, and banking and housing. President Obama was elected to help fix our problems and not to help create more problems; which, in effect is what the Pandora's-box called health-care-reform is in reality.

November 10, 2009 at 2:34 pm |
  69. Bob

I think that this is a case of Americans making a huge mistake, by electing a President whose campaign focused on "Change you can believe in," without asking in detail what those changes would entail. I believe the novelty of the prospect of an African-American finally making it to the highest office in the world, after his forefathers began their lives as slaves in this nation, temporarily blinded Americans to President Obama's agenda (which has nothing to do with his being African-American). With all due respect to the President, he was known as a leftist from the beginning; but, I do not think people realized how left his agenda is: The Socialization of America. He has significantly enlarged the role of government in our everyday lives, and has bought interests in the Banking, Automotive, Housing, and several other large industries (which means more government control), and is trying to socialize health-care simultaneously. Meanwhile, the trillions of dollars being wasted on growing governmental controls could be used to create jobs that would ease our 10.2% national unemployment. He has also broken his promises to "go green & creat jobs by doing so," and has significantly reduced our prestige in international politics. I just hope Americans have learned a valuable lesson from this (namely that you vote for a President based on policies and not whom they are), and that American can recover rapidly from the detrimental factors this administration has created thus far. I also apologize for my use of the word "except" when I meant "accept" in my prior comment; but, I find that if I take time to proof my comments my screen often goes blank, and I lose my comments before they are posted in many instances.

November 10, 2009 at 2:48 pm |
  70. Bob

I am an unemployed union roofer (I have been unemployed for 3 years due to the economy, which means my unemployment and health-care benefits have lapsed, and I have to live with my 74-year-old mother and 73-year-old uncle just so we can pool our resources and make ends meet (barely) from month-to-month. While I agree that some degree of health-reform is a legitimate issue, I do NOT agree that it needs reformed to the extent this administration is attempting; and, I hope & pray (pardon the expression) that the bill fails in the House. As I stated, health-reform is a legitimate issue, but more important and immediate issues are our sky-rocketing unemployment at 10.2%, and helping the Americans like myself, whom are still unemployed but have no benefits coming in anymore, survive until the economy improves. Moreover, the trillions of dollars this administration has basically thrown at industries whom should have had to recover themselves (and many did not want the money and now cannot pay it back although they wish to), because this is supposed to be a Capitalist nation, should of been used to create new long-term jobs such as the "going green projects" President Obama promised in his campaigns. If the money were spent on developing our own oil resources, efficient cars with low to no carbon footprints, solar and wind energy, and other alternative energy sources, an entire new industry could arise to create much needed jobs. In my view we have far too many problems both at home and abroad (iraq and Afghanistan are paramount) to be spending so much time and money (while taxing gas, cigarettes, sodas, and probably foods next) on a health-care program that the majority of Americans (whom elected President Obama) do not feel we need and do not want. We need to be focusing on our economy, on international problems (like Iran), and lessening our carbon emissions while simultaneously creating jobs, and stop heading down the pat our President insists on taking this nation.

November 10, 2009 at 3:05 pm |
  71. JF

why is it, that everytime a program that is going to help the people
    that are in the greatest need come out. There are so many people
    that are not for it. And a America that say they love all their people.

Atlanta

November 10, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  72. Don

Here is a thought on a way to help pay for health care in the US. Take all the earmark out of the budget, that would be a big chuck and a good start. Also stop giving bonuses to government employees. Example. Our fire department gets a 1.5% pay raise twice a year and 7% bonuses once a year. In my book that adds up to be a 10% pay raise. Our senator and congressman also give out big bonuses to their people for doing their jobs. I also think it’s pretty amazing that our city worker can all retire at the age of 55 with full benefits. Can we afford all this? When times are good everybody what’s a bigger pieces of the pie but when time are bad they still what a bigger peace of the pie, Because they can always raise taxes one way or another to cover the cost. like the transit worker in Philly what more when most people in the private sector are taking pay cuts.
    People call Obama a socialist just because he wants health care for everyone.
    The only people in this country, who still have good health coverage now, are people who work in the government. (City, state and federal employees). Anybody else, wait until you get sick, you’ll see how fast your insurance company will stops your coverage. For fifteen year I’ve been paying more and getting less coverage just like most people. They should put everybody on Medicare and if you want more coverage just buy a supplement like AARP. You would be sick if you took your insurance police and compared it with somebody who works for the government, and you’re paying for it.
    Why is wanting health insurance for everybody considered socialism?
    And not the public school system, our fire department and police and welfare systems. Do you think these are considered socialism? While they are. I guess we should get rid of these too.
    Just like Obama said if we don’t address this now it’s going to only get worse.

November 11, 2009 at 12:18 am |